ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Free Agency Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Mr Burns
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,799

Re: NBA Free Agency Thread 

Post#561 » by Mr Burns » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:20 am

MixxSRC wrote:Alright. You shared your perspective. I respect that. I'm just saying Patterson sucks and we payed dearly for his downs. Can't be trusted. He got payed exactly how much he deserves. I don't wanna hear about it being a steal. Good teams don't pay a lot for Patterson. Cojo went for CJ Miles. It's all good. And we have Wright. Carroll was **** trash so we gave two useless picks to unload him whatever. It's a wash for me.

Patterson is trash. The people who say OKC got a steal are the same ones who thought patterson was going to be worth 20 million when he was in his contract year. Classic case of Raptor fans overrating the **** out of scrub players on the team.
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,288

Post#562 » by raptorstime » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:56 am

Mr Burns wrote:
MixxSRC wrote:Alright. You shared your perspective. I respect that. I'm just saying Patterson sucks and we payed dearly for his downs. Can't be trusted. He got payed exactly how much he deserves. I don't wanna hear about it being a steal. Good teams don't pay a lot for Patterson. Cojo went for CJ Miles. It's all good. And we have Wright. Carroll was **** trash so we gave two useless picks to unload him whatever. It's a wash for me.

Patterson is trash. The people who say OKC got a steal are the same ones who thought patterson was going to be worth 20 million when he was in his contract year. Classic case of Raptor fans overrating the **** out of scrub players on the team.

patterson sucks he should do movie trailer reactions on youtube instead
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#563 » by hsb » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:49 am

navyblue wrote:
hsb wrote:
navyblue wrote:run it by me how it cost us 5 picks to remain under the tax?

If they want a rebuild in a few years, then don't squander away 5 draft picks.

There. Now that we got that out of the way...

It did take three though for this year - two to get rid of Carroll and one more draft pick this year because they are already cutting it close. If KL makes his unlikely bonus they can possibly cross the threshold as is.

first of all you didnt explain how you got to the fact we spent 5 picks to get under the tax

and secondly i want people to say the 25th,54th pick, 2 2nds and a lotto protected first

saying 5 picks makes it sound like we gave up a haul worse than the nets.

I reorganized the first sentence that you're so worked up with - they gave up three to stay under the cap this year if KL doesn't make his unlikely bonus. That's the cap structure right now. So re-read that and stop repeating yourself.

I'll rather have two late first round picks and two second round picks on the roster if the team isn't going to go up a tier and are going to rebuild in two or three years. Who the F wouldn't? You either have those picks or you don't. Why as a fan do you not want them? To get CJ Miles on the team? That guy doesn't move the team up a level. No way would any other team in the league would give up a late first and a second for a two years plus player option for Miles.

That is the most short sided way to enter an upcoming rebuild...
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#564 » by RaptorsLife » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Amazing news. Pascal getting closer and closer to be back up pf
Raptors til death
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#565 » by StopitLeo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:48 pm

hsb wrote:
I reorganized the first sentence that you're so worked up with - they gave up three to stay under the cap this year if KL doesn't make his unlikely bonus. That's the cap structure right now. So re-read that and stop repeating yourself.

I'll rather have two late first round picks and two second round picks on the roster if the team isn't going to go up a tier and are going to rebuild in two or three years. Who the F wouldn't? You either have those picks or you don't. Why as a fan do you not want them? To get CJ Miles on the team? That guy doesn't move the team up a level. No way would any other team in the league would give up a late first and a second for a two years plus player option for Miles.

Up a tier is a legit championship contender. Without drafting an elite MVP caliber player we aren't going up a tier. The best we can do is try different combinations of players and hope for a "sum is greater than the parts" outcome like the early 2000s Pistons.

None of those picks we traded are going to provide immediately help. They would just be guys taking up roster space and cap space that would be better used on useful players (I get that you don't care for Miles). The rebuild starts in 2-3 years when you trade guys like DeRozan for first round picks. That's when you load up on future picks and prospects. Doing that is what will give you the best chance at drafting someone that turns into the MVP caliber player you need for a team to be a true contender.
KobeoverLebron
Junior
And1: 322

Post#566 » by KobeoverLebron » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:41 am

Carl Landry for the 15th spot anyone? Still an efficient jump shooter and rebounder, put up some good numbers in limited minutes with the 76ers last season. Can't shoot 3s though.

Or how about Aaron Afflalo? I prefer Tony Allen over both of these guys though.
Moose23
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#567 » by Moose23 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:15 pm

StopitLeo wrote:
hsb wrote:

Up a tier is a legit championship contender. Without drafting an elite MVP caliber player we aren't going up a tier. The best we can do is try different combinations of players and hope for a "sum is greater than the parts" outcome like the early 2000s Pistons.

None of those picks we traded are going to provide immediately help. They would just be guys taking up roster space and cap space that would be better used on useful players (I get that you don't care for Miles). The rebuild starts in 2-3 years when you trade guys like DeRozan for first round picks. That's when you load up on future picks and prospects. Doing that is what will give you the best chance at drafting someone that turns into the MVP caliber player you need for a team to be a true contender.

Not to single you out alone, but I lol at posters who state that the picks we traded away wont help us much, but are relying on Wright, OG, Powell, Siakam to me major contributors. Seems of to me...
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#568 » by StopitLeo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Moose23 wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:
hsb wrote:

Not to single you out alone, but I lol at posters who state that the picks we traded away wont help us much, but are relying on Wright, OG, Powell, Siakam to me major contributors. Seems of to me...

It's a matter of when they might help and what they contribute. Nobody drafted in the early 20s is going to shoot 3s like Miles should and if we are trying to put out the most competitive team we can then an established NBA player is going to help more over the next 3 years than other picks in the 20s. It makes more sense to give up picks in the 20s when trying to win now and the trade your all-stars for those picks when you aren't.
ReaLiez
General Board Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,246

Post#569 » by ReaLiez » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:57 pm

With all these teams losing players im hype we kept all our main pieces
Justice
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,367

Post#570 » by TorontoRapsFan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:10 pm

37 year old Gasol for 3 yrs 48 mil. Not sure what to think of that.
rapcity10
Senior
And1: 437

Post#571 » by rapcity10 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:24 pm

Victoriarapsfan wrote:37 year old Gasol for 3 yrs 48 mil. Not sure what to think of that.

Horrible deal in every shape, way and form. Just horrible. Does anyone else think the Spurs might not get homecourt in the playoffs this year? I see them as more of a 5th to 6th seed In the west as of now.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#572 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:37 am

Paying a 37 year old post C in today's game... Wow. Brutal
rapcity10
Senior

Post#573 » by rapcity10 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:56 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Paying a 37 year old post C in today's game... Wow. Brutal

Worst contract of the offseason for sure. The spurs have had a really mediocre offseason to this date. If it wasn't cause they were the spurs, and they were some other team, they will be getting ripped to shreds right now. Awful.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#574 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:56 am

Spurs haven't hit on late round draft steals for years too. Weird decline in their FO
rapcity10
Senior

Post#575 » by rapcity10 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:59 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Spurs haven't hit on late round draft steals for years too. Weird decline in their FO

That remains to be seen, Dejounte Murray looks like he could a very good player in this league. Were he was drafted as well, he could end up being a huge steal for them.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#576 » by navyblue » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:17 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Spurs haven't hit on late round draft steals for years too. Weird decline in their FO

Amazing how good Duncan makes you look.
youreachiteach
Veteran
And1: 582

Post#577 » by youreachiteach » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:13 am

rapcity10 wrote:
Victoriarapsfan wrote:37 year old Gasol for 3 yrs 48 mil. Not sure what to think of that.

Horrible deal in every shape, way and form. Just horrible. Does anyone else think the Spurs might not get homecourt in the playoffs this year? I see them as more of a 5th to 6th seed In the west as of now.

The Spurs are zigging when everyone else is zagging. They are trying to go big to counter the everyone goes small concept. Gasol, despite his advanced age and game, is still a really smart and skilled big who, if he is used appropriately and not given heavy minutes can bring tons of value.

Granted, the Spurs would love to upgrade but they have finished too high to get great picks and cannot get any value for Aldridge because of the decaying market for bigs. So what are they to do? Same as Masai. Wait for the value to come up and continue to wring as much value out of their system and their players until they have to blow it up. They have been so consistent.

Frankly, I think the Spurs are better than you assume. If Kawhii doesn't hurt himelf against Golden State that is another series entirely.

They handled the poor version G.S. in Houston even without their best player. They had a great plan of forcing the three point shooters to drive into the trees instead of giving them all the options or simply cheating off of someone on the perimeter like the hopeless Cavs do.

I wouldn't count them out. In addition, Aldridge's contract is coming up. Don't be surprised if they move him at the deadline for value, despite his shallow market--or even for a disgruntled star on a short contract.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#578 » by RaptorsNorth » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Some People ride the spurs jock a lil too hard on here. Sorry but they gotta hold the "El" with this signing.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,780

Post#579 » by Zeno » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:58 pm

Axel Toupane has been waived by Pelicans and I think he might be our perfect 15th man/905 MVP.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,568

Post#580 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:35 pm

Zeno wrote:Axel Toupane has been waived by Pelicans and I think he might be our perfect 15th man/905 MVP.

Everyone always liked this guy since he played for the 905 and he's been cut from like 4 teams since then

In Raptor Ball I Trust

Return to Toronto Raptors