ImageImageImageImageImage

Bruno is the 3rd string SF and PF until Anunoby is ready - Can he capitalize?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Bruno has a path to minutes & a chance to impress Casey. Will he do it?

A) I think he will do it this year. That D-league championship game was him stepping out of his shell and all he has to do is shoot the NBA 3 well and use his length to defend one of those 2 spots. As heralded as OG was he's still a younger rookie who may make more mistakes.
47%
B) I don't think he will do enough to impress and hold off Anunoby before OG claims that spot back. OG is just a better player at a younger age. If he can't surpass Norm, CJ Miles or a rookie like OG by now he can't be a part of our plans moving forward.
53%

Total votes: 145

DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Re: Bruno is the 3rd string SF and PF until Anunoby is ready - Can he capitalize? 

Post#161 » by DrCoach » Wed Aug 2, 2017 3:31 pm

Clementine64 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
Clementine64 wrote::roll:
Defensive potential yes, come at me bro.

Here's another name for you...Tony Allen. Terrible offensive player with all world defense. Only problem with Tony is his age and the fact he's way too small to guard Giannis. Fact is you don't have to be a HOF to be a phenomenal defender like my example above.

If he had anywhere the defense you claim, he would be in the rotation already..

Raps spent 60 mil for DC which is nowhere the defenders those Hall Of Famers are

Stop being a homer

What don't you geniuses get about the word "Potential". All potential means is that he has the tools to be an elite defender. Bruno has the longest wingspan to height ratio of any player ever in the NBA, so technically speaking he has a **** ton of defensive potential based on length alone. Then you factor in things like foot speed, timing etc and for a 6' 9" guy it's very good. His basketball IQ is poor, but it's improving as he learns the game.

Right now Bruno gets lost on defense and struggles to contain the quicker players in the pick and roll. He may learn how to defend better or he may not. He most likely will be the next Anthony Randolph, who was labeled as a guy with a massive amount of "Potential" , but he never realized that potential.

Please, before anyone else criticizes my comments find yourself a dictionary and read up on what the word potential means. It will save you the embarrassment and me my time. Gratias!

Geniuses understand that Bruno is going into year 4, and that potential decreases exponentially with time.
Clementine64
Starter
And1: 2,523

Re: Bruno is the 3rd string SF and PF until Anunoby is ready - Can he capitalize? 

Post#162 » by Clementine64 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 5:17 pm

DrCoach wrote:
Clementine64 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

If he had anywhere the defense you claim, he would be in the rotation already..

Raps spent 60 mil for DC which is nowhere the defenders those Hall Of Famers are

Stop being a homer

What don't you geniuses get about the word "Potential". All potential means is that he has the tools to be an elite defender. Bruno has the longest wingspan to height ratio of any player ever in the NBA, so technically speaking he has a **** ton of defensive potential based on length alone. Then you factor in things like foot speed, timing etc and for a 6' 9" guy it's very good. His basketball IQ is poor, but it's improving as he learns the game.

Right now Bruno gets lost on defense and struggles to contain the quicker players in the pick and roll. He may learn how to defend better or he may not. He most likely will be the next Anthony Randolph, who was labeled as a guy with a massive amount of "Potential" , but he never realized that potential.

Please, before anyone else criticizes my comments find yourself a dictionary and read up on what the word potential means. It will save you the embarrassment and me my time. Gratias!

Geniuses understand that Bruno is going into year 4, and that potential decreases exponentially with time.

Well he's 21 years old, the age at which most players come into the league, so there's that....
7 Footer
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,859

Post#163 » by 7 Footer » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:48 pm

deep818 wrote:
7 Footer wrote:No chance. Casey trying to win games to save his job, and y'all think he'll play a guy who just learned to dribble...lol

He had no issues playing a guy like DMC... :D

Yea but DMC is a "vet", Casey loves overplaying his Vets, no way he plays a guy who is like 22 :noway:
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#164 » by DrCoach » Wed Aug 2, 2017 11:02 pm

Clementine64 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
Clementine64 wrote:

Well he's 21 years old, the age at which most players come into the league, so there's that....

And has shown little improvement in 3-4 years with a 24/7 pro staff
agentzero2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,686

Post#165 » by agentzero2010 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 4:28 am

Double Helix wrote:He's currently the 3rd string backup at SF behind Norm and CJ

Norm is our backup Guard-Forward coming off the bench but there is no one else behind him. Bruno is not our 3rd string SF. He's our backup SF and I think Masai expects him to be ready. Bruno has essentially played 3 "college years" in the D-league and he's going to be 22 by the start of the regular season, if he's still not ready then this coaching and players development staff has dropped the ball.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#166 » by Too Late Crew » Thu Aug 3, 2017 11:59 am

agentzero2010 wrote:
Double Helix wrote:He's currently the 3rd string backup at SF behind Norm and CJ

Norm is our backup Guard-Forward coming off the bench but there is no one else behind him. Bruno is not our 3rd string SF. He's our backup SF and I think Masai expects him to be ready. Bruno has essentially played 3 "college years" in the D-league and he's going to be 22 by the start of the regular season, if he's still not ready then this coaching and players development staff has dropped the ball.

If he still not ready it's entirely possible (even likely) that the coaching and player development staff are not the ones who dropped the ball.
The ones who dropped th ball are Masai and the scouting staff.

Why is more likely that the failure is with the training and not with the lack of ability of the player being trained?

If the Raptors had drafted Rodney Hood instead and he put up double figures as a starting SF for the Raptors would the credit go to the player development staff?

The ball was dropped when they drafted Bruno.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#167 » by dagger » Thu Aug 3, 2017 1:20 pm

He's a long shot to succeed, but some of you sound like it will destroy your precious narrative if he does end up contributing.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
ill-Will03
Rookie
And1: 1,404

Post#168 » by ill-Will03 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 1:54 pm

Too Late Crew wrote:
agentzero2010 wrote:

If he still not ready it's entirely possible (even likely) that the coaching and player development staff are not the ones who dropped the ball.
The ones who dropped th ball are Masai and the scouting staff.

Why is more likely that the failure is with the training and not with the lack of ability of the player being trained?

If the Raptors had drafted Rodney Hood instead and he put up double figures as a starting SF for the Raptors would the credit go to the player development staff?

The ball was dropped when they drafted Bruno.

Why can't it be Bruno who dropped the ball? From a scouting perspective he has all the tools to be a great role player. hes been given minutes and pretty much his own team in the 905, so its not like he's not getting the opportunities, at some point I feel like he should be held responsible for his play and development instead of the coaching staff. Coaches and Masai can only do so much for a player.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#169 » by hsb » Thu Aug 3, 2017 2:02 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:

Why can't it be Bruno who dropped the ball? From a scouting perspective he has all the tools to be a great role player. hes been given minutes and pretty much his own team in the 905, so its not like he's not getting the opportunities, at some point I feel like he should be held responsible for his play and development instead of the coaching staff. Coaches and Masai can only do so much for a player.

They brought him to the team too early. Something Masai has thrown out there in jest but I think it's true. He was there to prop up the importance of the 905 though, so it was a tricky situation. He's an interesting case for managements to learn from.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
ill-Will03
Rookie

Post#170 » by ill-Will03 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 2:16 pm

hsb wrote:
ill-Will03 wrote:They brought him to the team too early. Something Masai has thrown out there in jest but I think it's true. He was there to prop up the importance of the 905 though, so it was a tricky situation. He's an interesting case for managements to learn from.

I see what you mean by bringing him to the team too early, but I don't think that's necessarily the deciding factor in whether Bruno pans out or not. I'm just saying you can only blame the coaching staff and GM so much. After a while its on the player to take it to the next level.

Bargs also had the tools and skills to be a good player, but his effort and his drive to get better was just non-existent, cant really blame the coaching staff for that, or even BC for drafting him (he was mocked to go top 3) Thank god Bruno atleast seems to have some sort of drive to improve, but after 4 years its time to show up or get out, roster spots are far too valuable to just have him warming up the bench
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#171 » by hsb » Thu Aug 3, 2017 2:29 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:
hsb wrote:
ill-Will03 wrote:They brought him to the team too early. Something Masai has thrown out there in jest but I think it's true. He was there to prop up the importance of the 905 though, so it was a tricky situation. He's an interesting case for managements to learn from.

I see what you mean by bringing him to the team too early, but I don't think that's necessarily the deciding factor in whether Bruno pans out or not.

I agree but our perception would be different right now is what I would argue. If he was a young second year player that still need reps, but has more command of the game, our whole concept of him as a player would change. But he's not, he's in his last year of his rookie contract.

From where he started to what he's become is decent, but there's just more built up frustration considering how weak the 3 and 4 spot has been on this team since he's been drafted and he's a 3/4 positional rookie lol.

ill-Will03 wrote:Bargs also had the tools and skills to be a good player, but his effort and his drive to get better was just non-existent, cant really blame the coaching staff for that, or even BC for drafting him (he was mocked to go top 3)

Bargs was more than fine growing as a number three scorer on a team - if not a second option during a prime that never existed. He had his warts - terrible, terrible rebounder - and I give Smitch all the respect in the world of trying to put him in as many different scenarios to see what would work. His last healthy year he was 24 years old and scored 17.2 with an eFG% of 52.3% and had 1.4 blocks per game.

That wasn't even his prime but then he played 66, 31, 35, 42 and 29 games for the Raps and Knicks. That should've been his prime years but injuries were just too much.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#172 » by LiSTWithLani » Thu Aug 3, 2017 9:55 pm

7 Footer wrote:No chance. Casey trying to win games to save his job, and y'all think he'll play a guy who just learned to dribble...lol

DeMar gets tons of minutes...
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#173 » by Joker » Thu Aug 3, 2017 10:46 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:
hsb wrote:

I see what you mean by bringing him to the team too early, but I don't think that's necessarily the deciding factor in whether Bruno pans out or not. I'm just saying you can only blame the coaching staff and GM so much. After a while its on the player to take it to the next level.

Bargs also had the tools and skills to be a good player, but his effort and his drive to get better was just non-existent, cant really blame the coaching staff for that, or even BC for drafting him (he was mocked to go top 3) Thank god Bruno atleast seems to have some sort of drive to improve, but after 4 years its time to show up or get out, roster spots are far too valuable to just have him warming up the bench

That's definitely at least partly on the drafting staff. That's why they just don't work out a player, but subject him to off-court interviews, talk to his former teammates, coaches, etc. --- to assess work ethic and passion for the game. If you're just looking at basketball talent, you're only doing half the job. There's a reason why guys like Rudy Gay don't go #1, despite having all the tools and skills to be elite.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#174 » by Joker » Thu Aug 3, 2017 11:18 pm

The thing with Bargnani was that he played offense like a shooting guard, defended best as a power forward (less rim protection responsibility than center and he was too slow to guard small forward), and rebounded like a 5'9" point guard. And we tried to for years to force him into a traditional center role. Good luck with that. Guys like that with that many flaws can only be bench scorers. And that's not even getting to his mental disposition.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#175 » by Kabookalu » Thu Aug 3, 2017 11:21 pm

Bargnani was a beautiful athlete earlier in his career before being forced as a center and having to learn how to box out and play dirty inside.

This is why we have to learn from our mistakes and allow Poeltl to thrive at his most natural position, at the 4 8-)
Read on Twitter
ill-Will03
Rookie

Post#176 » by ill-Will03 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 1:11 pm

Kabookalu wrote:Bargnani was a beautiful athlete earlier in his career before being forced as a center and having to learn how to box out and play dirty inside.

This is why we have to learn from our mistakes and allow Poeltl to thrive at his most natural position, at the 4 8-)

DAMN man Bargs was actually low key nicee. If only this idiot took his career more seriously, he could have actually been a really good player esp in todays NBA
steve001
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#177 » by steve001 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 1:48 pm

Just thinking. The Raptors can't start CJ miles as he is a crap defender and quite frankly too weak to defend SFs.

So Bruno may be the backup to Norm at SF.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,885

Post#178 » by Tacoma » Fri Aug 4, 2017 5:41 pm

Joker wrote:The thing with Bargnani was that he played offense like a shooting guard, defended best as a power forward (less rim protection responsibility than center and he was too slow to guard small forward), and rebounded like a 5'9" point guard. And we tried to for years to force him into a traditional center role. Good luck with that. Guys like that with that many flaws can only be bench scorers. And that's not even getting to his mental disposition.

BC didn't force Bargs to be a traditional C in all years. In fact, most years he played C/PF with Bosh sometimes assuming the C role. Saying he rebounded like a PG is stretching since he averaged around 5 rebs peaking at 6.2 which is about half a rebound less than Ibaka last season in 33 games with us. So if he rebounded like a PG, then Ibaka isn't far off.

Prime Bargs would actually be ideally suited today's game. Too bad he ruined his own career by not listening to coaches because he thought he knew better. His BB IQ wasn't high but neither is DeRozan but unlike DeRozan, Bargs was a lazy assed player.

Return to Toronto Raptors