ImageImageImageImageImage

Where can Masai find a bigger wing defender?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,710

Re: Where can Masai find a bigger wing defender? 

Post#41 » by Yallbecrazy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Moose23 wrote:
lolwut wrote:
rapcity10 wrote:If we're relying on OG on being the wing defender for us in his rookie year, you might as well get yourself mentally ready for a first round exit. Jeezus Christ some of you guys are out to lunch.

What's so crazy about that idea? Powell was one of our best wing defenders during his rookie year... It wasn't that long ago.

Powell had more experience than OG.

Despite that experience OG put up better numbers defensively in both his rookie and sophomore season than Powell did in any of his college seasons.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant

Post#42 » by Yallbecrazy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:06 pm

rapcity10 wrote:
lolwut wrote:
rapcity10 wrote:Powell was a senior coming out of UCLA. The fact that people think he's gonna do an adequate job of replacing tucker is hilarious.

And OG is a sophomore with a body like Ron Artest's. Powell was known as an all around player in college, while OG's primary role was wing defender.

Sure, OG might not be able to fill the void left by Tucker immediately, but I think his floor is much higher than you're making it sound.

Not saying he's not going to be a good defender. He'll have his moments were hell wow you and make you think he has a chance of all NBA defence at some point in his career. But rookie season? Please, stop this. He's going up against NBA offences, the main thing about being a successful defender at the NBA level is having a high iq, and detail. There's been a lot of players and I mean A LOOOOT of players that have come through the draft that people thought were going to be great defenders at the next level and flopped. They had the body, physique, and athletiscm to do it too. What's his IQ like? No one knows, gotta see him on a court with NBA players first. Defence isn't just man on man, what's his help defence going to be like? Making the correct reads on defence. Having to navigate going through countless amounts of screens on each possession? Just temper your expectations man, please!

The thread was about defending elite wings in the NBA, which is about 1 on 1 defense. His help D may end up being poor, he may only be a good overall defender in his rookie season. Why can't he be at least good? Kawhi was a very good defender his rookie season, so was Winslow--> there have been very good wing defenders as rookies recently.
rapcity10
Senior
And1: 437

Post#43 » by rapcity10 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:07 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:
rapcity10 wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:Maybe his offense won't be good enough to see the floor a lot in his rookie year, but the second he's healthy he will easily be the Raptors best wing defender and probably top 20 in the NBA. https://thebaselinedrift.com/2017/06/20/og-anunoby-kawhi-leonard/

1 on 1 defensively, he is the best prospect to come along in at least a decade, perhaps much longer. Not sure if he will progress defensively, but even if he flat-lines from his college ability he will still be a really good wing defender and the Raptors best wing defender already.

Being the raptors best wing defender right now is not saying much to tell you the truth. The fact you are saying he might be the best one on one defender to come out in the last decade makes me really confident you had a long night of doing drugs last night.

Have you even spent an hour looking into his scouting report or reading articles that look into his defense, or even watching highlights? Have you spent any time reading generic articles about the stats that translate best from college to the NBA?
Stanley Johnson, Winslow, Aminu, Leonard, etc... none of those guys put up the stats OG did across the board. Some might match him in one or two categories, but he is at the top across the board in terms of steal rates, block rates, length, athleticism he is unmatched.

https://medium.com/@jzmazlish/why-og-anunoby-should-not-be-a-top-5-pick-but-should-go-in-the-top-10-564dd7408037

Andre Roberson is the closest in terms of stats, but he weighed a lot less, wasn't nearly as long, played in a much weaker conference and was a lot older

In conclusion, please name one better defensive wing prospect in the last decade.

I'm not wasting my time with this garbage man. "YOU BE CRAZY" Yallbecrazy
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by Yallbecrazy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:09 pm

rapcity10 wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:
rapcity10 wrote:Being the raptors best wing defender right now is not saying much to tell you the truth. The fact you are saying he might be the best one on one defender to come out in the last decade makes me really confident you had a long night of doing drugs last night.

Have you even spent an hour looking into his scouting report or reading articles that look into his defense, or even watching highlights? Have you spent any time reading generic articles about the stats that translate best from college to the NBA?
Stanley Johnson, Winslow, Aminu, Leonard, etc... none of those guys put up the stats OG did across the board. Some might match him in one or two categories, but he is at the top across the board in terms of steal rates, block rates, length, athleticism he is unmatched.

https://medium.com/@jzmazlish/why-og-anunoby-should-not-be-a-top-5-pick-but-should-go-in-the-top-10-564dd7408037

Andre Roberson is the closest in terms of stats, but he weighed a lot less, wasn't nearly as long, played in a much weaker conference and was a lot older

In conclusion, please name one better defensive wing prospect in the last decade.

I'm not wasting my time with this garbage man. "YOU BE CRAZY" Yallbecrazy

So when you don't have a legitimate response and can't name one better prospect you call my argument garbage and me crazy?
Denisaur9
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#45 » by Denisaur9 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:12 pm

With his speed and wing span I wondered why we did try tossing Siakim out more in the playoffs. Front court of Siakim, Obama and JV/Jakob/Bebe could be a miss match.

Sent from my LG-H812 using RealGM mobile app
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,788

Post#46 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Anunoby could be a monster on defence. And maybe, that's what the Raps are counting on. That's one way this team can take a step forward imo, is that he does become a DPOY candidate or All-NBA Defensive team contributor.
Denisaur9
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#47 » by Denisaur9 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:13 pm

Damn autocorrect Ibaka***

Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#48 » by Pooh_Jeter » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:15 pm

You guys do realize OG tore his ACL, right? He likely won't be ready until December and there is a big difference between being "healthy" and having full strength and confidence in the knee. Have a little perspective.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,290

Post#49 » by ruckus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:19 pm

Denisaur9 wrote:With his speed and wing span I wondered why we did try tossing Siakim out more in the playoffs. Front court of Siakim, Obama and JV/Jakob/Bebe could be a miss match.

Barack with balock!
ChromeKid
Veteran
And1: 2,380

Post#50 » by ChromeKid » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:22 pm

Bruno or Bust
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,814

Post#51 » by Basketball_Jones » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:25 pm

I think Derozan is an excellent defender, most guards have a very hard time scoring on him and Lowry.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
slothrop8
Head Coach
And1: 7,278

Post#52 » by slothrop8 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:25 pm

Throwback24 wrote:
We essentially have no more small ball players on our team. Forget beating LBJ, are you guys really that confident this team could best the Bucks+Wiz or Celtics in a series? Really? Do you think we'd be the favorites in Vegas?

This team as constituted would not beat any of those teams in a series right now - nor would we be favored against any of those teams by Vegas right now if all 7 games were on a neutral court. We'd be tight to a pick'em vs the Bucks at least - though I doubt that'll still hold come mid-season. We'd be slight dogs with HCA for the series vs both the Wiz and Celts and decent size dogs without HCA for the series. Assuming average health for all, I do not expect to finish ahead of any of them in the regular season either.

What is unknown is who, if anyone, will take a step forward for us. We have more players in our rotation with a highly variable range of performance outcomes this year than some of the other good teams in the East. I expect 45-47 wins and a 5 seed or so. It's quite possible that most of our young rotation players flop and we're a little worse than that. It's also possible that at least some of those young rotation players flourish and we're better than I expect - back up over 50 wins and a top 3 seed. I certainly didn't see 56 wins coming 2 years ago - and Casey plays every regular season game like it's Game 7 of the Finals - so outperforming my regular season expectations is very much in play. A breakout or two from our younger players could mean we'd be competitive with those teams by the time the playoffs roll around.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#53 » by Kabookalu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Time to see if Bruno will sink or swim. I've watched almost every 905 game and his defense was the reason why they were the best defensive team in the D-League. I used to think it was because of Ed Tavares, but their defense didn't suffer at all when he left, and I can't think of any other reason why they remained so good on that end of the court other than Bruno, the one constancy on the team.

With that said we really don't know if that'll transfer smoothly over to the NBA against the best and most athletic players in the world. However if this team wants to improve it has to come from the young guys, might as well see what we got.
Read on Twitter
rapcity10
Senior
And1: 437

Post#54 » by rapcity10 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:29 pm

slothrop8 wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:
We essentially have no more small ball players on our team. Forget beating LBJ, are you guys really that confident this team could best the Bucks+Wiz or Celtics in a series? Really? Do you think we'd be the favorites in Vegas?

This team as constituted would not beat any of those teams in a series right now - nor would we be favored against any of those teams by Vegas right now if all 7 games were on a neutral court. We'd be tight to a pick'em vs the Bucks at least - though I doubt that'll still hold come mid-season. We'd be slight dogs with HCA for the series vs both the Wiz and Celts and decent size dogs without HCA for the series. Assuming average health for all, I do not expect to finish ahead of any of them in the regular season either.

What is unknown is who, if anyone, will take a step forward for us. We have more players in our rotation with a highly variable range of performance outcomes this year than some of the other good teams in the East. I expect 45-47 wins and a 5 seed or so. It's quite possible that most of our young rotation players flop and we're a little worse than that. It's also possible that at least some of those young rotation players flourish and we're better than I expect - back up over 50 wins and a top 3 seed. I certainly didn't see 56 wins coming 2 years ago - and Casey plays every regular season game like it's Game 7 of the Finals - so outperforming my regular season expectations is very much in play. A breakout or two from our younger players could mean we'd be competitive with those teams by the time the playoffs roll around.

Bingo. Perfectly said thank you.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,290

Post#55 » by ruckus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:29 pm

If we still had Jared Sullinger...

I heard he ate wings for breakfast.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#56 » by Kabookalu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:32 pm

This rapcity10 fellow is a nasty personality, but he does have a point here. Let's temper expectations down on OG, yeah? I remember when Corey Brewer was projected to be the next superstar defender, a mix of Ron Artest and Shane Battier. I'm excited for OG but damn guys lol

Read on Twitter
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,985

Post#57 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Refuses to bend his knees... Lmao :)
slothrop8
Head Coach
And1: 7,278

Post#58 » by slothrop8 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Kabookalu wrote:Time to see if Bruno will sink or swim. I've watched almost every 905 game and his defense was the reason why they were the best defensive team in the D-League. I used to think it was because of Ed Tavares, but their defense didn't suffer at all when he left, and I can't think of any other reason why they remained so good on that end of the court other than Bruno, the one constancy on the team.

With that said we really don't know if that'll transfer smoothly over to the NBA against the best and most athletic players in the world. However if this team wants to improve it has to come from the young guys, might as well see what we got.

I watched not all, but many of the 905 games - and I agree with almost all of this take. Tavares was a big key though - they were just vaporizing teams when he was still there. Once he was gone they were still great defensively and Bruno was a big part of that - but Bruno and Edy together were incredible at the DLeague level.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by Yallbecrazy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:38 pm

rapcity10 wrote:
slothrop8 wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:

Bingo. Perfectly said thank you.

Sorry Slothrop, but when Rapcity agrees with your post then it's probably wrong
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#60 » by Kabookalu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:41 pm

slothrop8 wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:Time to see if Bruno will sink or swim. I've watched almost every 905 game and his defense was the reason why they were the best defensive team in the D-League. I used to think it was because of Ed Tavares, but their defense didn't suffer at all when he left, and I can't think of any other reason why they remained so good on that end of the court other than Bruno, the one constancy on the team.

I watched not all, but many of the 905 games - and I agree with almost all of this take. Tavares was a big key though - they were just vaporizing teams when he was still there. Once he was gone they were still great defensively and Bruno was a big part of that - but Bruno and Edy together were incredible at the DLeague level.

Yeah not to say that Tavares was inconsequential, but I guess what I mean was that Bruno was just as responsible for the elite defense. Having them is like Gobert and Giannis on the same team. Not having either one is like the Warriors not having either one of Curry or Durant, they're still an elite team, but with them together they're arguably the best team of all time.

Read on Twitter

Return to Toronto Raptors