ImageImageImageImageImage

Where can Masai find a bigger wing defender?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

CB4real
Junior
And1: 772

Re: Where can Masai find a bigger wing defender? 

Post#81 » by CB4real » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:55 pm

to THIS in 3 years:

Not bad... also a pretty elite defender in the D League
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#82 » by dalton749 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:06 pm

I'm pretty excited to one day see a defensive lineup of delon, norm, OG, Bruno, siakam.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#83 » by StopitLeo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:53 pm

People are forgetting how good Delon can be as a defender. He's 6'6" and 180lbs, has great length and good instincts, gets a lot of deflections, and is athletic enough to to stay with all but the biggest wings.

I'd like to see Bruno given a chance too.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#84 » by Yeezus_ » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:17 pm

kj_ wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:
kj_ wrote:
The rhetoric of this quote I was referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

It's a fact. Have you seen him play defense? He's always erect like Bebe, especially in the post against bigger forwards.

This is my point.

Yes, I watch Demar play. I'm a season seat holder that attends every home game and watches every away game. Been doing it since he was a rookie. Watching the team since inception.

You approach every discussion spewing rhetoric which creates a confrontational discussion and incites some of the worst case of "know-it-all-itis" even for a sports discussion, and that's saying something.

You're confusing opinion with fact. You could make your point just as easily in a way that stimulates discussion and without the intent of inciting negative emotions.

For example... "In my opinion, Demar appears to play defence in a posture that is too upright. I see him get blown by a lot and feel if he were in a better defensive stance this could be reduced. Bebe has a similar issue, but it's expected a bit since he's a seven footer."

You seem to be unaware of what type of language leads toward meaningful and consensus building discussion and which incites negativity and argument. That, or you are very aware and that's your point.

I'm pretty sure we all know which of those it is.

Cooked his ass
Yeezy SZN approaching
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#85 » by Throwback24 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:29 pm

kj_ wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:
kj_ wrote:
The rhetoric of this quote I was referring to.

It's a fact. Have you seen him play defense? He's always erect like Bebe, especially in the post against bigger forwards.

This is my point.

Yes, I watch Demar play. I'm a season seat holder that attends every home game and watches every away game. Been doing it since he was a rookie. Watching the team since inception.

You approach every discussion spewing rhetoric which creates a confrontational discussion and incites some of the worst case of "know-it-all-itis" even for a sports discussion, and that's saying something.

You're confusing opinion with fact. You could make your point just as easily in a way that stimulates discussion and without the intent of inciting negative emotions.

For example... "In my opinion, Demar appears to play defence in a posture that is too upright. I see him get blown by a lot and feel if he were in a better defensive stance this could be reduced. Bebe has a similar issue, but it's expected a bit since he's a seven footer."

You seem to be unaware of what type of language leads toward meaningful and consensus building discussion and which incites negativity and argument. That, or you are very aware and that's your point.

I'm pretty sure we all know which of those it is.

lol spewing rhetoric? Confrontational discussions? Is confrontational really the term you're going to use after posting that?

There's only one overly emotional person in this thread and it's you. Clearly, no debating.

I will continue to be unaware, aware, confrontational and rhetorical. In between all of those very strong terms, also familiarize yourself with the 'ignore' and 'kick rock' options.

I'm pretty sure someone like you who has a very strong grasp on creating meaningful and consensus building discussions can navigate your way into finding the rocks to kick. Said rocks like opinions. Casey has a rock he pounds from time to time, see if he'll help your cause.

In the future, consider adding this as your avi

It'll help improve the overall quality of the forum when we know you're on active duty.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
kj_
Analyst
And1: 3,298

Post#86 » by kj_ » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:14 pm

Ha! Funny meme, even if it's not very original. Makes me laugh every time.

I'm not policing your posts by any means. Just trying to show you how you can be taken more seriously here. You do bring up topics worth exploring they just turn toxic quickly and degrade into anti-Demar, anti-Casey, raptors suck unintelligent shouting by the way you frame your discussion points. You must see it too. With a slight shift in how you make your point (many of which have validity, imo) some meaningful discussion could take place.

I enjoy basketball discussion and value having my opinion swayed from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#87 » by Double Helix » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:18 pm

OG is the answer long-term.
Powell, Bruno, OG and Siakam and others will try to fill the void collectively until then.
Small ball isn't relegated exclusively to Cs. Excluding the freak SFs (Lebron, Kawhi, Durant, George, Giannis) how are the bigger slower tweener SFs that mostly make up the position going to keep up with Powell off the bounce? There's this idea that bigger players tend to pound on smaller players non-stop until they're subbed out but it doesn't seem to happen as often as the concern would suggest. And on the flip side the opposing big SFs may struggle to keep Powell in front of them. This is why Powell is so much better in the starting lineup as a small ball SF then as a spark plug high usage ball carrying 6 man. He's most dangerous taking advantage of the additional attention Demar and Lowry command. Whether it's hitting corner 3s that they set up for him or attacking a close out or getting out and running in transition.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,188

Post#88 » by Tofubeque » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:40 pm

Double Helix wrote:OG is the answer long-term.
Powell, Bruno, OG and Siakam and others will try to fill the void collectively until then.
Small ball isn't relegated exclusively to Cs. Excluding the freak SFs (Lebron, Kawhi, Durant, George, Giannis) how are the bigger slower tweener SFs that mostly make up the position going to keep up with Powell off the bounce? There's this idea that bigger players tend to pound on smaller players non-stop until they're subbed out but it doesn't seem to happen as often as the concern would suggest. And on the flip side the opposing big SFs may struggle to keep Powell in front of them. This is why Powell is so much better in the starting lineup as a small ball SF then as a spark plug high usage ball carrying 6 man. He's most dangerous taking advantage of the additional attention Demar and Lowry command. Whether it's hitting corner 3s that they set up for him or attacking a close out or getting out and running in transition.

So much this. We lose very little by having the Tobias Harris and Kris Middletons of the world shooting over top Powell in the post or midrange. Meanwhile he does the things that are actually important to a defense, like staying in front of drives and closing quickly out on shooters.
props Turbozone
kj_
Analyst
And1: 3,298

Post#89 » by kj_ » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:12 pm

The Norm off the bench experiment flopped mightily last year. That said, I was leaning toward an Ibaka, siakam, Miles, Demar, Lowry starting line up and Powell with JV driving the scoring for the second unit. JV could help take the pressure off Norm doing it all trying to create offence.

I see your point about norm starting, he could do a lot offensively when guarded by bigger 3's while giving up little at the other end.

Only problem I see is that once the raps face LeBron, and that is the end game, they'd likely have to adjust or else LeBron will steam roll Powell. I'd rather play the entire season the way that will beat LeBron so guys are comfortable in that roll.

Not sure what that is though, as CJ will get killed by LeBron too. No easy answer.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ZOfan
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#90 » by ZOfan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:31 pm

Don't really see why everyone always thinks larger wings are the answer. We get killed by not being able to close out on shooters. LeBron will get his against anyone in the league but if u can take out his secondary playmakers/scorers then he can be beat.
We should be playing DD at SF.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#91 » by Rapsalot » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:41 pm

I think we need to add someone at the 3/4 for two years. Just to let OG get health and learn. If Bruno is a consistent rotation play delivering value we will all be thrilled but would be extremely surprised.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#92 » by Kabookalu » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:53 pm

dalton749 wrote:I'm pretty excited to one day see a defensive lineup of delon, norm, OG, Bruno, siakam.

With it being summer and me being anti social, one of my hobbies is watching old Raptors games. In that game against Miami, other than shutting down Dragic, the other thing that Wright did so well was switch onto everyone and disrupt passing lanes. With his size and length he was capable of defending every non big man the Heat had. I also watch old 905 games too, and just did last night, and saw the second game in the playoffs against Maine where we closed it out on them. Siakam and Bruno completely blew up their pick and roll coverage and they were not able to get anything going. Bruno even managed to shutdown their best scorer, Abdel Nader, who averaged like 20ppg on good efficiency, and limited him to 15 points on 6/20 shooting. If you blurred your eyes you'd think Bruno was a longer Patrick Patterson on defense.

I guess my point is is that all of those players have the theoretical tools to run Casey's defense to perfection.
Read on Twitter
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,259

Post#93 » by Raptorfan2012 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:23 am

Rapsalot wrote:I think we need to add someone at the 3/4 for two years. Just to let OG get health and learn. If Bruno is a consistent rotation play delivering value we will all be thrilled but would be extremely surprised.

Probably one year is enough since we only have a vet min to spend. 2 years if we can find someone via trade. We just need someone to fill in that slot esp for the first half of the season while OG goes through rehab. Beasley, Cunningham, maybe even Dunleavy will do the trick

Return to Toronto Raptors