ImageImageImageImageImage

Your preferred starting 5

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Your preferred starting 5?

Lowry/DD/CJ/Serge/JV
32%
Lowry/DD/CJ/Pascal/Serge
13%
Lowry/Norm/DD/Serge/JV
31%
Lowry/Norm/DD/Pascal/Serge
13%
Lowry/DD/CJ/Jakob/Serge
6%
Lowry/Norm/DD/Jakob/Serge
5%

Total votes: 182

Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Re: Your preferred starting 5 

Post#101 » by Rapcity_11 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 8:08 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Went with Lowry, Norm, DD, Sergey, JV.

Norm showed us the value of having another triple threat on the floor. Given the minutes, I think he can put up 15, 5, and 4 on a good percentages while playing good defense.
JV is still needs to start, but I think should be subbed out early and used as a threat with the 2nd unit.
Ibaka is there to play defense, the odd post up and as a spot up shooter.

Lowry and Derozan as primary/secondary options.

If he does this and you quote this post after the season i will simply pay you 10 dollars.

Note, I know you aren't saying you think he will do this, or get those minutes, but still the freeroll remains.

Yup. Norm getting 4 APG next year is never, ever, ever, ever, ever going to happen.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,851

Post#102 » by Duffman100 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 8:20 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Went with Lowry, Norm, DD, Sergey, JV.

Norm showed us the value of having another triple threat on the floor. Given the minutes, I think he can put up 15, 5, and 4 on a good percentages while playing good defense.
JV is still needs to start, but I think should be subbed out early and used as a threat with the 2nd unit.
Ibaka is there to play defense, the odd post up and as a spot up shooter.

Lowry and Derozan as primary/secondary options.

If he does this and you quote this post after the season i will simply pay you 10 dollars.

Note, I know you aren't saying you think he will do this, or get those minutes, but still the freeroll remains.

Yup. Norm getting 4 APG next year is never, ever, ever, ever, ever going to happen.

Joke is on you guys, I was saying he was going to average 5 assists a game.

Yeah 4 is probably way too high. 2.5-3 is probably his ceiling for next year. He's still too tunnel visioned.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#103 » by Rapcity_11 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 8:30 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:

Joke is on you guys, I was saying he was going to average 5 assists a game.

Yeah 4 is probably way too high. 2.5-3 is probably his ceiling for next year. He's still too tunnel visioned.

Hahaha.

Also, his role and how the Raptors offense works is almost as big a factor as his tunnel vision.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#104 » by MadDogSHWA » Tue Aug 1, 2017 9:34 pm

steve001 wrote:Why do people think Poetl is anything but a C? As it stands he's 3rd string centre behind JV and Ibaka who will split time at the position.

I don't get it either. Last year after summer league I said he was slow and some rude idiot flamed me for it. The guy is lead footed but he's equally fast North/South & East/West so it is kind of misleading to watch him. He also is great at getting down in a stance and moving the puppies (as Jack would say). But by no means can this guy guard many NBA 4's.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
slothrop8
Head Coach
And1: 7,278

Post#105 » by slothrop8 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 9:54 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:

First of all, agreed on juggling the starters based on the opponent. Also agreed on it never happening.

Wouldn’t it be better to just play JV the first ~6 mins of each Q? He gets tired quickly and ends up playing the same amount of minutes with DD in either scenario. Playing him ~13 mins in a row doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.

Sure, that could work too. My thinking was with quarter breaks and the likelihood of timeouts in the run of play in a game well underway the consecutive minutes in game time would be broken up enough that he might be ok. As suggested earlier I'd like to get away as much as possible from him playing with what's likely to be the starting group with SI, DD, KL, and either NP or CJ because that leaves him as an all offence C in a unit with no shots for him and that's where he creeps towards uselessness. Burning a big chunk of the few minutes he does get just setting screens is how he ends up with big negative splits - he's conceding points at one end and we aren't leveraging his offensive efficiency on the other. For him ever to be an actual plus for us I think we have to find units where he's no worse than the clear number 2 option for him to play spurts of minutes with. Lowry plus Bench unit being a possible great fit for that. If that still doesn't work, I'll have to yield to the popular consensus to throw him overboard.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,846

Post#106 » by JShuttlesworth » Tue Aug 1, 2017 10:09 pm

Poeltl is a 5. That's where I see him. I don't see him as a starting 4 by any means. If JV comes off the bench I think Ibaka is playing the 4.

1. Lowry / Powell / DeRozan / Ibaka / JV
2. Lowry / DeRozan / Miles / Ibaka / JV

One of those two lineups. As per usual I think JV gets heavy minutes in the first but then Poeltl should get some good run with some of the starters later on in the game. He has some nice lateral quicks and I like his PnR defense, I think he fits pretty well next to Ibaka and I'm hoping we get to see it.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#107 » by Patman » Tue Aug 1, 2017 10:13 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
slothrop8 wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

The problem with not starting JV that I’ve been thinking about lately is that most teams still start traditional bigs. If JV isn’t getting those starting minutes, when is he playing? I know you want him in with the Lowry + bench unit (something I’ve come around to wanting to try), but what other lineups do you want him in?

Assuming DeMar is pretty much going to play almost the entire 1st and 3rd and half the 2nd and 4th - I'd like to see us play JV something like the last 4 mins of the first and first 9 of the second, and maybe the last 5 of the 3rd and first 7 of the 4th - understanding of course it won't always work out that neatly. I imagine Casey will want to get him out for the last 5 of the 4th - and that gets JV 25 mins where he only overlaps with DD for maybe half of them. Still lots of bench bigs roaming around those minutes and the Jeffersons, Monroes, Kanters, tend to inhabit some of those spaces. It's never going to work out that neatly - but that's sort of how I'd try to juggle it - knowing matchups might skew it from time to time.

What I'd actually like to do is juggle the starting group depending on who that opposing C is - but that's never going to happen and isn't worth even talking about. And what I'd really do if DD's trade value wasn't probably the single most important thing for this franchise right now is start JV and play him roughly 28 mins bring DD off the bench for 20 mins a night and try to never have them overlap at all - and that's so ludicrous a suggestion in terms of its possibility that we can all just pretend I never said it.

First of all, agreed on juggling the starters based on the opponent. Also agreed on it never happening.

Wouldn’t it be better to just play JV the first ~6 mins of each Q? He gets tired quickly and ends up playing the same amount of minutes with DD in either scenario. Playing him ~13 mins in a row doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.

I always thought that the end of the 2nd quarter was the best time to play serviceable players that are either:

a) not very well-conditioned
b) exert extreme effort (i.e. high energy guys that are going to outwork everyone for good 5 minute spurts, and then have diminishing returns)

With the longest break in the game right after the end of the 2nd quarter, this seemed logical to me.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#108 » by Rapcity_11 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 11:29 pm

slothrop8 wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

Sure, that could work too. My thinking was with quarter breaks and the likelihood of timeouts in the run of play in a game well underway the consecutive minutes in game time would be broken up enough that he might be ok. As suggested earlier I'd like to get away as much as possible from him playing with what's likely to be the starting group with SI, DD, KL, and either NP or CJ because that leaves him as an all offence C in a unit with no shots for him and that's where he creeps towards uselessness. Burning a big chunk of the few minutes he does get just setting screens is how he ends up with big negative splits - he's conceding points at one end and we aren't leveraging his offensive efficiency on the other. For him ever to be an actual plus for us I think we have to find units where he's no worse than the clear number 2 option for him to play spurts of minutes with. Lowry plus Bench unit being a possible great fit for that. If that still doesn't work, I'll have to yield to the popular consensus to throw him overboard.

We know JV + starters is bad, agreed. But JV + DD + Wright + Siakam + Miles or whatever is likely to be terrible (worse?) as well. Sure, JV is a higher offensive option, but the spacing and passing is too poor for him to get looks in those lineups.
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#109 » by whoknows » Wed Aug 2, 2017 2:27 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:
whoknows wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:
Equal? Yeah right. Lowry AND Derozan are both better then Westbrook. Higher character guys, unselfish, Westbrook is just a stat stuffing ball hog he knows nothing about winning. So happy we don't have players like him.

you should post your opinion on general board as a trade...non-Raps fans will laugh you off.

And it is laughable to think the playoffs chokers DD or KL are in the same class as Westbrook when it comes to winning, skills, toughness....

What about character? Derozan and Lowry are model citizens and are loyal to Toronto. That alone makes them deserving of max contracts. Plus Derozan is probably the best one on one scorer in the NBA today, maybe in the last ten years. Lowry is the same level of Steph Curry. Would you take Curry over Westbrook? One has a ring, the other doesn't and is a selfish stat stuffing ball hog. I admire the team play and attitude of Lowry/DD.

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,796

Post#110 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Aug 2, 2017 4:35 am

JShuttlesworth wrote:Poeltl is a 5. That's where I see him. I don't see him as a starting 4 by any means. If JV comes off the bench I think Ibaka is playing the 4.

1. Lowry / Powell / DeRozan / Ibaka / JV
2. Lowry / DeRozan / Miles / Ibaka / JV

One of those two lineups. As per usual I think JV gets heavy minutes in the first but then Poeltl should get some good run with some of the starters later on in the game. He has some nice lateral quicks and I like his PnR defense, I think he fits pretty well next to Ibaka and I'm hoping we get to see it.

Oh that might be what we start with for some unknown reason but I guarantee that won't be our best lineup or what we finish the game with. But pretty sure Poeltl can play the 4. No worse defensively than jv playing with Ibaka. I just don't get why we can't try starting our best lineup instead of only finishing with it.
KobeoverLebron
Junior
And1: 322

Post#111 » by KobeoverLebron » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:16 am

Lowry
DD
CJ
Ibaka
Val

Give Norm the keys to that 6th man spot and let him shine.

Finishing games I'd like to see:

Lowry
DD
Norm
??
Serge
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,509

Post#112 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Aug 3, 2017 2:28 pm

Starters: Lowry/Powell/DD/Siakam/Ibaka
Key Ball Handler off Bench: Delon
Key Wing off Bench: Miles
Key Bigs off Bench: Val, Poeltl, Bebe
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#113 » by Patman » Thu Aug 3, 2017 4:37 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Starters: Lowry/Powell/DD/Siakam/Ibaka

You forgot OG. I think he gets more burn than Bebe.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,509

Post#114 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Aug 3, 2017 8:09 pm

Patman wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Starters: Lowry/Powell/DD/Siakam/Ibaka

You forgot OG. I think he gets more burn than Bebe.

Ya, I think he can be a contributor at the forward spot when he returns.

Return to Toronto Raptors