ImageImageImageImageImage

Eurobasket 2017 (LTU is done)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,617

Re: EuroBasket 2017 (LTU friendlies August 4-25) 

Post#381 » by UcanUwill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Lithuania must be the worst 3 point shooting team I have seen in a long time.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#382 » by Mikistan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Jstock12 wrote:I really hate JV's body language and tantrums sometimes. Sure, sometimes the guards screw up by not giving him the ball on time, but it's no reason to throw your hands in the air, turn around and stop playing. That screws the whole team.

and if he gets the ball deep you know he isnt passing out, he needs to see the game differently
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#383 » by hsb » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:29 pm

France is on a different level than Lithuania, which is why they ended the half so well after the Lithuanian coach made some subs. It's fairly obvious the past two friendly games, they are the better team, but these are friendlys so who knows how much the difference is.

I only watched the second half of the second quarter and that'll probably be it for me, but I liked JV's energy. Dependable rebounder, got some nice looks inside, blocked a guard driving, went from Diaw from the three to Seraphin in the paint to protect the rim.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
hsb
RealGM

Post#384 » by hsb » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:31 pm

Mikistan wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:I really hate JV's body language and tantrums sometimes. Sure, sometimes the guards screw up by not giving him the ball on time, but it's no reason to throw your hands in the air, turn around and stop playing. That screws the whole team.

and if he gets the ball deep you know he isnt passing out, he needs to see the game differently

There was one hook shot where Seraphin played him so well and I was like, just pass dude.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,288

Post#385 » by Jstock12 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:54 pm

Great stretch by Lithuania with JV on the bench. I really like that mobile unit with Gudaitis at the center and Maciulis/Kuzminskas at the forward positions.
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#386 » by MavCarter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:10 pm

I keep seeing the "If JV was on the spurs" thing pop up but does anyone know if the spurs were actually targeting JV? Like wouldn't it be plausible to think kawhi was their main target all along and they were calling around the league to see where they could secure him (ultimately landing at 15)? From what i remember the source on that JV to spurs thing was guessing who the spurs wanted at 5, it wasn't actually sourced info
#Enjoytheride
iktuz
Senior
And1: 416

Post#387 » by iktuz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:15 pm

McGregFan wrote:I keep seeing the "If JV was on the spurs" thing pop up but does anyone know if the spurs were actually targeting JV? Like wouldn't it be plausible to think kawhi was their main target all along and they were calling around the league to see where they could secure him (ultimately landing at 15)? From what i remember the source on that JV to spurs thing was guessing who the spurs wanted at 5, it wasn't actually sourced info

They were offering Tony Parker iirc for JV
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#388 » by Jstock12 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:16 pm

iktuz wrote:
McGregFan wrote:I keep seeing the "If JV was on the spurs" thing pop up but does anyone know if the spurs were actually targeting JV? Like wouldn't it be plausible to think kawhi was their main target all along and they were calling around the league to see where they could secure him (ultimately landing at 15)? From what i remember the source on that JV to spurs thing was guessing who the spurs wanted at 5, it wasn't actually sourced info

At the time JV was a promising prospect with a ceiling much higher than what he is now. He's still a serviceable player, but he had a ceiling of a top10 center. Who knows what he might have become. He might have become better as a Spur, and he might have become worse as a Knick. This is a pointless speculation.
MavCarter
RealGM

Post#389 » by MavCarter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:17 pm

iktuz wrote:

They were supposedly offering up TP for #5 they weren't offering TP for JV's rights
#Enjoytheride
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#390 » by UcanUwill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:18 pm

hsb wrote:France is on a different level than Lithuania, which is why they ended the half so well after the Lithuanian coach made some subs. It's fairly obvious the past two friendly games, they are the better team, but these are friendlys so who knows how much the difference is.

I only watched the second half of the second quarter and that'll probably be it for me, but I liked JV's energy. Dependable rebounder, got some nice looks inside, blocked a guard driving, went from Diaw from the three to Seraphin in the paint to protect the rim.

Lithuania blew France out in the second half. Neither team is great, France looks very ordinary, but outside of Heurtel, DeColo and Fournier, they don't have much else, so that shouldn't be that surprising I guess.
MavCarter
RealGM

Post#391 » by MavCarter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:18 pm

The spurs were pushing for #7 on draft night too, JV wouldn't have made it there
#Enjoytheride
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#392 » by UcanUwill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
iktuz wrote:

At the time JV was a promising prospect with a ceiling much higher than what he is now. He's still a serviceable player, but he had a ceiling of a top10 center. Who knows what he might have become. He might have become better as a Spurs, and he might have become worse as a Knick. This is a pointless speculation.

He regressed in so many areas. Pick and roll game regressed a ton and then there is his movement and foul drawing. The only thing that stayed is his rebounding.
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#393 » by Jstock12 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:21 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
hsb wrote:France is on a different level than Lithuania, which is why they ended the half so well after the Lithuanian coach made some subs. It's fairly obvious the past two friendly games, they are the better team, but these are friendlys so who knows how much the difference is.

Lithuania blew France out in the second half. Neither team is great, France looks very ordinary, but outside of Heurtel, DeColo and Fournier, they don't have much else, so that shouldn't be that surprising I guess.

I'd say Lithuania has been quite underwhelming during these preparation games. And yet France didn't really show anything that would make me afraid of them.
iktuz
Senior

Post#394 » by iktuz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:24 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
iktuz wrote:They were offering Tony Parker iirc for JV

At the time JV was a promising prospect with a ceiling much higher than what he is now. He's still a serviceable player, but he had a ceiling of a top10 center. Who knows what he might have become. He might have become better as a Spurs, and he might have become worse as a Knick. This is a pointless speculation.

He regressed in so many areas. Pick and roll game regressed a ton and then there is his movement and foul drawing. The only thing that stayed is his rebounding.

If only the current big men era started an year or two sooner. We probably wouldn't have seen him getting that dirty bulk
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#395 » by Jstock12 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:25 pm

iktuz wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:

If only the current big men era started an year or two sooner. We probably wouldn't have seen him getting that dirty bulk

Doesn't matter now. He is what he is.
iktuz
Senior

Post#396 » by iktuz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:26 pm

McGregFan wrote:
iktuz wrote:

They were supposedly offering up TP for #5 they weren't offering TP for JV's rights

Depends if they really were expecting Kawhi to be this good. My guess would be they weren't, even in his first year he was a bit underwhelming if you think how dominant he is now. The guy made outrageous improvement in his offense.
iktuz
Senior

Post#397 » by iktuz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
iktuz wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Yeah, I'm still expecting him to realize that he still needs to cut a few pounds and dedicate his whole summer in improving his athletism. He always showed signs of improvement when he worked a bit only on that one thing (when he injured his hand during the season). It's possible since Eurobasket formats are changing after this one I believe and it won't be every two years anymore.
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#398 » by Jstock12 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:36 pm

iktuz wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
iktuz wrote:If only the current big men era started an year or two sooner. We probably wouldn't have seen him getting that dirty bulk

Yeah, I'm still expecting him to realize that he still needs to cut a few pounds and dedicate his whole summer in improving his athletism. He always showed signs of improvement when he worked a bit only on that one thing (when he injured his hand during the season). It's possible since Eurobasket formats are changing after this one I believe and it won't be every two years anymore.

I think he identifies as a heavyweight bruiser and doesn't want to change that. Which sucks, because I really think he could be so much better as a skinnier, finesse player type with good rebounding and better PnR coverage and rim protection. JV with his rookie body is a more impactful player IMO. Yes, he's a bit easier to be pushed around, but at the same time he's not such a huge liability on PnR.

hsb
RealGM

Post#399 » by hsb » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:36 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

Those three are really good in comparison to LTU's rotation. But I guess with Gobert, Parker and Batum out of Eurobasket, it should be more interesting.
Regulio
Senior
And1: 156

Post#400 » by Regulio » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:43 pm

Nice to finally get a win.
Lithuania has definitely one of their weakest lineups in recent memory.
In early-mid 2000s we had really strong teams, with top players in Europe in several positions, shame that Spain had insane teams back then.
I guess we will always have a competent team, that can go for top8 finish or so, due to our sound foundations as a basketball country and team-first style of play.
Though medals are looking like a wishful thinking right now and we really lack talent.

Return to Toronto Raptors