ImageImageImageImageImage

Eurobasket 2017 (LTU is done)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Re: EuroBasket 2017 (LTU friendlies August 4-25) 

Post#401 » by Jstock12 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Lithuania 96
France 71

The game was won in the 3rd quarter by the mobile unit, with JV sitting on the bench. He ended up with 10 points and 13 boards though.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,793

Post#402 » by UcanUwill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Regulio wrote:Nice to finally get a win.
Lithuania has definitely one of their weakest lineups in recent memory.
In early-mid 2000s we had really strong teams, with top players in Europe in several positions, shame that Spain had insane teams back then.
I guess we will always have a competent team, that can go for top8 finish or so, due to our sound foundations as a basketball country and team-first style of play.
Though medals are looking like a wishful thinking right now and we really lack talent.

2003 gold medal, so it all worked out. Interesting that Lithuania's golden age came after Sabonis and Marciulionis retired, two Hall of Famers. 2004 team was arguably the strongest in history, but ironically it was the first team that didn't win Olympic medal.
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#403 » by Jstock12 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:51 pm

UcanUwill wrote:2004 team was arguably the strongest in history, but ironically it was the first team that didn't win Olympic medal.

That insanely hot 3-point shooting night by Italy has arguably cost us a gold medal. I think we would have matched up pretty well with Argentina.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#404 » by Patman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:05 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Regulio wrote:Nice to finally get a win.
Lithuania has definitely one of their weakest lineups in recent memory.
In early-mid 2000s we had really strong teams, with top players in Europe in several positions, shame that Spain had insane teams back then.
I guess we will always have a competent team, that can go for top8 finish or so, due to our sound foundations as a basketball country and team-first style of play.
Though medals are looking like a wishful thinking right now and we really lack talent.

2003 gold medal, so it all worked out. Interesting that Lithuania's golden age came after Sabonis and Marciulionis retired, two Hall of Famers. 2004 team was arguably the strongest in history, but ironically it was the first team that didn't win Olympic medal.

FIBA Linas Kleiza was incredible.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#405 » by UcanUwill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:2004 team was arguably the strongest in history, but ironically it was the first team that didn't win Olympic medal.

That insanely hot 3-point shooting night by Italy has arguably cost us a gold medal. I think we would have matched up pretty well with Argentina.

Oh, dont remind me. I remember being super confident about that game, it was before world crushed my spirit like Homer would say. I remember it was a second semifinal of the day, Argentina already beat USA and I was already thinking ahead about gold medal, Lithuania was that good. ANd then Basile and Galanda happened, but thats what happens when you face such microwave players, one day they might have a day of their lives, and it might just be Olympic semi final against your team.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#406 » by UcanUwill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Patman wrote:FIBA Linas Kleiza was incredible.

2010 Linas was great, he was also still very good after that injury which is kinda strange,because he later washed up completely. Decent player, very short lived prime, wouldn't make my LT top 10 I think.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#407 » by Patman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:24 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Patman wrote:FIBA Linas Kleiza was incredible.

2010 Linas was great, he was also still very good after that injury which is kinda strange,because he later washed up completely. Decent player, very short lived prime, wouldn't make my LT top 10 I think.

He didn't have as much prolonged international success as a Jasikevicius, but at his best, Linas was amazing under FIBA rules. He got overshadowed in a golden age of international NBA players with FIBA pedigrees (Nowitzki, Parker, Ginobili, Scola), but he was one of maybe a dozen non-American players in his era that could swing a FIBA game.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#408 » by Patman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:29 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:

Oh, dont remind me. I remember being super confident about that game, it was before world crushed my spirit like Homer would say. I remember it was a second semifinal of the day, Argentina already beat USA and I was already thinking ahead about gold medal, Lithuania was that good. ANd then Basile and Galanda happened, but thats what happens when you face such microwave players, one day they might have a day of their lives, and it might just be Olympic semi final against your team.

That Argentina squad would have been very hard to beat. Manu, Oberto, Scola, Nocioni, Delfino, etc.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#409 » by UcanUwill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:39 pm

Patman wrote:He didn't have as much prolonged international success as a Jasikevicius, but at his best, Linas was amazing under FIBA rules. He got overshadowed in a golden age of international NBA players with FIBA pedigrees (Nowitzki, Parker, Ginobili, Scola), but he was one of maybe a dozen non-American players in his era that could swing a FIBA game.

You are talking strictly 2010 world cup Linas though. The year he spent in Greece, was a team leader and arrived carrying amazing game shape. Other than that year, he was good, but not a franchise (nation) player.

2007 : 9.9 ppg. 5th. on the team in scoring
2008 : 10.1 ppg. 2nd on the team in scoring, beating Siskauskas by 0.1
2009 : 8.8 ppg. 3rd. on the team in scoring (one of the worst LT team in history)
2010 : 19 ppg. one of the best players in the tournamaent.
2012 : 13.8 ppg. leader in scoring post injury, but already a big downgrade.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#410 » by UcanUwill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Patman wrote:That Argentina squad would have been very hard to beat. Manu, Oberto, Scola, Nocioni, Delfino, etc.

Oh sure, but those two would have been opponents worth each other. Jasikevicius, Macijauskas and Siskauskas all in their prime, scary.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#411 » by cruwinas » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:55 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Patman wrote:That Argentina squad would have been very hard to beat. Manu, Oberto, Scola, Nocioni, Delfino, etc.

Oh sure, but those two would have been opponents worth each other. Jasikevicius, Macijauskas and Siskauskas all in their prime, scary.

Štombergas... :(

That loss was the saddest outcome of a sporting event of my life.
:crazy:
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#412 » by Kabookalu » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:58 pm

McGregFan wrote:
iktuz wrote:
McGregFan wrote:I keep seeing the "If JV was on the spurs" thing pop up but does anyone know if the spurs were actually targeting JV? Like wouldn't it be plausible to think kawhi was their main target all along and they were calling around the league to see where they could secure him (ultimately landing at 15)? From what i remember the source on that JV to spurs thing was guessing who the spurs wanted at 5, it wasn't actually sourced info

They were offering Tony Parker iirc for JV

They were supposedly offering up TP for #5 they weren't offering TP for JV's rights

It was evident they were after Jonas though, and they didn't bother hiding their intentions, which was why so many beat writers were able to report it. Buford even congratulated Colangelo on the pick.

Spurs weren't really targeting Kawhi until like a week or two before the draft when they found out how hard of a worker he was.
Read on Twitter
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#413 » by MavCarter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:28 am

Kabookalu wrote:
McGregFan wrote:
iktuz wrote:They were offering Tony Parker iirc for JV

They were supposedly offering up TP for #5 they weren't offering TP for JV's rights

It was evident they were after Jonas though, and they didn't bother hiding their intentions, which was why so many beat writers were able to report it. Buford even congratulated Colangelo on the pick.

Spurs weren't really targeting Kawhi until like a week or two before the draft when they found out how hard of a worker he was.

Evident how? And who reported on it? If i remember correctly it was one report and the reporter was assuming it was JV
#Enjoytheride
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#414 » by Kabookalu » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:35 am

McGregFan wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:
McGregFan wrote:

Evident how? And who reported on it? If i remember correctly it was one report and the reporter was assuming it was JV

Serious question, did you follow basketball back in 2011? It was pretty obvious that the Spurs wanted Jonas badly just as much as Masai wanted Giannis. They tried everything to get him but all their attempts were met in vain. Hard for me to link them all since I'm on my phone but all you have to do is google 2011 draft Jonas Spurs and you'll get pages of articles showing how much they wanted JV. The first page is mostly of the same story but there are more in the next couple.

Read on Twitter
Just Passing By
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,803

Post#415 » by Just Passing By » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:28 am

Jstock12 wrote:Lithuania 96
France 71

The game was won in the 3rd quarter by the mobile unit, with JV sitting on the bench. He ended up with 10 points and 13 boards though.

Um.. The game went from -3 to +doubledigits with JV in the lineup, so not sure what you are saying :) That the lead went from like +12 to +20 with a mobile unit is true, but its weird to say the "game was won" then.
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#417 » by Jstock12 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:21 pm

Just Passing By wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:Lithuania 96
France 71

Um.. The game went from -3 to +doubledigits with JV in the lineup, so not sure what you are saying :) That the lead went from like +12 to +20 with a mobile unit is true, but its weird to say the "game was won" then.

Did you even watch the game?

JV was subbed out when Lithuania was down by 2 points in the 3rd quarter (46-48). Then the mobile unit took care of business. The next time JV was put into the game (the very end of the 3rd quarter) Lithuania was up 69-55. That's a 23-7 stretch with JV on the bench.
ill-Will03
Rookie
And1: 1,409

Post#418 » by ill-Will03 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:05 pm

damn so JV even gets benched by his National team too? Guess Casey was actually onto something guys...
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#419 » by UcanUwill » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:59 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:damn so JV even gets benched by his National team too? Guess Casey was actually onto something guys...

I have no idea what happened to him, but he hasn't looked good at all. That said, this is just preparation games, so coach is just experimenting, but so far, not well for JV. Gudaitis looks better IMO.
ill-Will03
Rookie
And1: 1,409

Post#420 » by ill-Will03 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:06 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
ill-Will03 wrote:damn so JV even gets benched by his National team too? Guess Casey was actually onto something guys...

I have no idea what happened to him, but he hasn't looked good at all. That said, this is just preparation games, so coach is just experimenting, but so far, not well for JV. Gudaitis looks better IMO.

Yeah im not very surprised at his play tbh, its a sad reality but JV has most likely reached his ceiling and the only one who can change that is HIMSELF, not Masai, Casey, or the Coaching staff.

I remember when that JV squat picture came out, people were expecting some major changes in his body, mobility and play overall, but I didn't see much of a difference tbh, and judging from his play so far not much has changed.

It is pretty funny tho, we all were giving Casey **** for benching JV and not playing him enough (myself included) but he was actually really smart and seen JVs shortcomings years before we did. Just goes to show that fans really don't know everything lol and theres a reason why head coaches have NBA jobs

Return to Toronto Raptors