ImageImageImageImageImage

Ibaka working on defense

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Ibakas defense will

Improve
30%
Stay the same
42%
Continue to decline
27%

Total votes: 113

Slade3
Sixth Man
And1: 805

Re: Ibaka working on defense 

Post#41 » by Slade3 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 4:43 am

rapcity10 wrote:Ibaka and Bismack would be a really interesting frontcourt. I think they complement each other perfectly. It's too bad we can't make any trades with the magic for a year.

Ask the Magic how that worked out.
BBallInSight
Sixth Man
And1: 1,337

Post#42 » by BBallInSight » Tue Aug 8, 2017 5:49 am

I put Ibaka's D at JV’s level - below average. He seems to coast a lot.
rapcity10
Senior
And1: 437

Post#43 » by rapcity10 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 6:18 am

BBallInSight wrote:I put Ibaka's D at JV’s level - below average. He seems to coast a lot.

JV wishes he had Ibaka's D.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#44 » by Pooh_Jeter » Tue Aug 8, 2017 7:48 am

It's hilarious that Masai trotted out absolute trash at PF and now that he has basically a league average PF people are creaming their pants. That Masai kool-aid is powerful stuff.

Masai overpaid for a 3+D guy with knee problems, dumped him using draft pick and people applauded him. Ibaka certainly has a better track record than Carroll, but he is also a guy who has had knee problems and has been noticeably declining for a few years now. Unless his off-season program involves PED's the chances of him morphing back into 2012 Ibaka are slim to none. Funny part is people are still happy about the deal because it was "only" 3 years.

Ibaka is still a useful player, but paying him 20M a year and expecting him to be a difference maker is just asking for a rude wake up call. People are going to turn on him quickly.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,852

Post#45 » by VancouverRaps » Tue Aug 8, 2017 7:58 am

rapcity10 wrote:
BBallInSight wrote:I put Ibaka's D at JV’s level - below average. He seems to coast a lot.

JV wishes he had Ibaka's D.

I wish I had Ibaka's "D".....
We the Champs
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,888

Re: RE: Re: Ibaka working on defense 

Post#46 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 10:44 am

neurotik wrote:
freebird wrote:If you live in Canada, it is "defence" -- I weep for the future

If you post on internet sports forums created for hardcore fans, who communicate using abbreviations, gifs, memes, and other means designed to increase efficiency (valuing time over grammar and spelling), then you are in the wrong place if you are searching for Proust.

Edit. Lol after posting this I continued reading the thread and saw all the responses freebird's post got. Although it gave me a chuckle I can't help but feel a little bad. No malice or ill-will in my post, just a playful jest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using RealGM mobile app

Thank goodness people express their efficiencies online. Would be such a waste of human potential to value grammar and spelling over gifs, memes, and other "means" of delivering short shrift-hit send communications. The human brain must be so taxed by 140 or less characters and cat videos.
Moose23
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Re: RE: Re: Ibaka working on defense 

Post#47 » by Moose23 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 10:56 am

rapcity10 wrote:Ibaka and Bismack would be a really interesting frontcourt. I think they complement each other perfectly. It's too bad we can't make any trades with the magic for a year.
They we already paired together.....and sucked.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#48 » by YogiStewart » Tue Aug 8, 2017 12:11 pm

JohnnyFlame wrote:Like anything if you practice then you will improve. But he has been declining so I'm thinking what he can do is halt the decline for a couple of years and stay at the same level as last year or slightly better.

he has old man legs.
what he really needs is good off-season conditioning and appropriate rest during the season.
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#49 » by bon » Tue Aug 8, 2017 2:39 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:It's hilarious that Masai trotted out absolute trash at PF and now that he has basically a league average PF people are creaming their pants. That Masai kool-aid is powerful stuff.

League average PF :lol:

You don't always need hyperbole to make a point
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#50 » by Throwback24 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 2:44 pm

Ibakas problems are up stairs, he's a very weak post defender and has become quite the liability defending in space off of pick and rolls thanks to his shot knees.

Ibaka is soft and a low IQ player. If you thought Bargnani was soft I don't see how the same labels aren't thrusted on Ibaka either. Ultra soft.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Throwback24
RealGM

Post#51 » by Throwback24 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 2:45 pm

rapcity10 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Did you even watch any basketball at all the last year?!

Yeah I did *****. They didn't look good in Orlando, but it's a completely different system and players surrounding them on each team. Orlando had no Demar or Lowry playing on their team. They looked horrific cause you couldn't play the two of them on offence with the surrounding players Orlando had. It's obvious Bismack was more comfortable and really liked playing under Dwayne Casey's defensive system, and Lowry and Demar. You got any more smart remarks ****** ?

Biyombo is an extremely poor basketball player. He only looked good here because he was asked to clean up after Lowry/DD. They had no real interest in giving him the ball which worked well for them and worked even better for him.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#52 » by JN » Tue Aug 8, 2017 2:54 pm

Based on some pictures posted here some months back that made him appear quite "gifted", I think he needs to work on getting some shrinkage.

That has to hamper upwards agility.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,773

Post#53 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Aug 8, 2017 3:02 pm

rapcity10 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Yeah I did pum pum. They didn't look good in Orlando, but it's a completely different system and players surrounding them on each team. Orlando had no Demar or Lowry playing on their team. They looked horrific cause you couldn't play the two of them on offence with the surrounding players Orlando had. It's obvious Bismack was more comfortable and really liked playing under Dwayne Casey's defensive system, and Lowry and Demar. You got any more smart remarks pum pum ?

Other than the fact that you didn't know they played together? Or that you think its ok to use that word here, or call someone that hiding behind your keyboard? Yeah I have a very choice bunch of remarks for you.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#54 » by hankscorpioLA » Tue Aug 8, 2017 3:18 pm

RaptorsNorth wrote:I'll believe it when I see it.

That's how I feel about God.
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,829

Post#55 » by Duffman100 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 3:26 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
rapcity10 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Yeah I did pum pum. They didn't look good in Orlando, but it's a completely different system and players surrounding them on each team. Orlando had no Demar or Lowry playing on their team. They looked horrific cause you couldn't play the two of them on offence with the surrounding players Orlando had. It's obvious Bismack was more comfortable and really liked playing under Dwayne Casey's defensive system, and Lowry and Demar. You got any more smart remarks pum pum ?

Other than the fact that you didn't know they played together? Or that you think its ok to use that word here, or call someone that hiding behind your keyboard? Yeah I have a very choice bunch of remarks for you.

Enough from both of you.
Throwback24
RealGM

Post#56 » by Throwback24 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 3:42 pm

hankscorpioLA wrote:
RaptorsNorth wrote:I'll believe it when I see it.

That's how I feel about God.

rapcity10
Senior

Post#57 » by rapcity10 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 3:42 pm

bon wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:It's hilarious that Masai trotted out absolute trash at PF and now that he has basically a league average PF people are creaming their pants. That Masai kool-aid is powerful stuff.

Where would you rank him? Just wondering.
rapcity10
Senior

Post#58 » by rapcity10 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 3:50 pm

Throwback24 wrote:
rapcity10 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Yeah I did *****. They didn't look good in Orlando, but it's a completely different system and players surrounding them on each team. Orlando had no Demar or Lowry playing on their team. They looked horrific cause you couldn't play the two of them on offence with the surrounding players Orlando had. It's obvious Bismack was more comfortable and really liked playing under Dwayne Casey's defensive system, and Lowry and Demar. You got any more smart remarks ****** ?

Biyombo is an extremely poor basketball player. He only looked good here because he was asked to clean up after Lowry/DD. They had no real interest in giving him the ball which worked well for them and worked even better for him.

I'm not saying he's a great basketball player. He is flawed in many ways, is overpaid, is a liability on offence, has terrible hands, etc.. However, it was just an example of the type of player we need besides Ibaka to help with his deficiencies. Again, to those people saying ask the magic how that worked, it's a completely different system, team, players surrounding them, environment, and role definitions. Doesn't have to be exactly him, just the type of player. Can't be throttling out a lineup with Ibaka at the 5, that will get exposed in the long haul.
neurotik
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,864

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Ibaka working on defense 

Post#59 » by neurotik » Tue Aug 8, 2017 4:07 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
neurotik wrote:
freebird wrote:If you live in Canada, it is "defence" -- I weep for the future

If you post on internet sports forums created for hardcore fans, who communicate using abbreviations, gifs, memes, and other means designed to increase efficiency (valuing time over grammar and spelling), then you are in the wrong place if you are searching for Proust.

Edit. Lol after posting this I continued reading the thread and saw all the responses freebird's post got. Although it gave me a chuckle I can't help but feel a little bad. No malice or ill-will in my post, just a playful jest.

Thank goodness people express their efficiencies online. Would be such a waste of human potential to value grammar and spelling over gifs, memes, and other "means" of delivering short shrift-hit send communications. The human brain must be so taxed by 140 or less characters and cat videos.

Really, OAK? You're gonna get on your soap box and high horse, and make a stand about this?

Are you telling me all your posts, tweets, texts, etc. have flawless English, and contain zero memes, gifs, emojis, etc.?

Look, I am a person who values the English language a great deal. But even I'm not going to be a hypocrite and start busting people's balls over not having impeccable spelling and grammar on an internet forum.

(1 of 10)
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#60 » by bon » Tue Aug 8, 2017 4:15 pm

rapcity10 wrote:
bon wrote:

Where would you rank him? Just wondering.

I can't think of 8 PFs better than him.

Return to Toronto Raptors