ImageImageImageImageImage

Bleacher Report on DeMar: "the fact he's earning All-Star berths...is utterly ridiculous"

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,752

Re: Bleacher Report on DeMar: "the fact he's earning All-Star berths...is utterly ridiculous" 

Post#121 » by Basketball_Jones » Wed Aug 9, 2017 1:52 pm

The article is "utterly ridiculous." He really is one of the more talented players in the league and belongs on All NBA teams.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Re: Bleacher Report on DeMar: "the fact he's earning All-Star berths...is utterly ridiculous" 

Post#122 » by YogiStewart » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:00 pm

RonaldArtest wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:
RonaldArtest wrote:Damn son, there were times over the years where I wished that person was me.

when i started dating what is now my wife, we had one night where i met her at Humber College, brought jerk chicken and we watched the Michael James-lead raptors get thrashed.
years later and she still won't eat jerk chicken.
add that to the list of baffling occurrences that didn't sway her from marrying me.

:o The raptors ruined jerk chicken for her? That's pretty shameful. If you live in the city buy her some from Mitzie's jerk around Bloor and Islington. The jerk there is so good I think she can be saved.

too far.
we're Real Jerk people. she will eat roti, not jerk chicken.
___Rand___
General Manager
And1: 9,715

Post#123 » by ___Rand___ » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:04 pm

Mikistan wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:My only hope is DeMar will hear the criticism and become a better and smarter ball player. He's getting older. He's gotta become smarter with shot selection, and be smarter on D without exerting more effort. Just smarter.

This won't happen unless fans make defensive lowlight videos like they did for Harden.

well, let's do that! we got enough youtube artists here right? calling all high-light video editors... you know what to do..
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#124 » by Kabookalu » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:10 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:My only hope is DeMar will hear the criticism and become a better and smarter ball player. He's getting older. He's gotta become smarter with shot selection, and be smarter on D without exerting more effort. Just smarter.

This won't happen unless fans make defensive lowlight videos like they did for Harden.

well, let's do that! we got enough youtube artists here right? calling all high-light video editors... you know what to do..

You can do it, you'd just be nitpicking. People do it for Harden because his are so blatant. Might be the laziest defender I've ever seen next to a post achilles surgery Kobe Bryant. DeRozan has his lapses and he's lazy on closeouts, but putting that on the same level to this is pretty laughable:

Read on Twitter
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#125 » by ontnut » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:21 pm

I want to throw some bleacher in my eyes after reading this crap.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#126 » by RaptorsNorth » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:58 pm

I'll take peter popoff more serious than the clowns at the bleacher.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#127 » by Mikistan » Wed Aug 9, 2017 3:18 pm

Kabookalu wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

You can do it, you'd just be nitpicking. People do it for Harden because his are so blatant. Might be the laziest defender I've ever seen next to a post achilles surgery Kobe Bryant. DeRozan has his lapses and he's lazy on closeouts, but putting that on the same level to this is pretty laughable:

Just because Demar jumps at 3pt line defenders doesn't make his effort any better, I've seen demar get spun and dunked on too many times in the high/low post (remember old man vince clown him like this?) with him being flat footed to care anymore
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,752

Post#128 » by Basketball_Jones » Wed Aug 9, 2017 3:42 pm

Oh man, that Vince dunk on Demar had me crying. Like past meeting present. Demar responded by dropping 40 and basically single handedly winning the game for us though. True superstar.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#129 » by Kabookalu » Wed Aug 9, 2017 3:45 pm

Mikistan wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:

Just because Demar jumps at 3pt line defenders doesn't make his effort any better, I've seen demar get spun and dunked on too many times in the high/low post (remember old man vince clown him like this?) with him being flat footed to care anymore

If you think bad closeouts is the same thing as completely losing your man from the weak side, I don't know what to tell you. Harden is a complete liability right from the get go because he stops trying as soon as they cross the half court line. DeRozan is a liability the longer the defensive possession lasts because of his slow foot speed and lack of good judgment on closeouts, but I'd rather have the player that doesn't give up on defense the moment he has to start playing defense.

I literally don't understand how people can watch these two players and think they're even on the same level defensively. Harden is atrocious in every sense of the word.

Read on Twitter
Pericles
Pro Prospect
And1: 76

Post#130 » by Pericles » Wed Aug 9, 2017 3:55 pm

No advanced stat, that I'm aware of, acurately tracks how putting a team in foul trouble effects a team. Demar's ability to
shoot 12-14 FT per game, I believe, makes
up for his inability to shoot the 3.
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#131 » by pbj » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:01 pm

RaptorsNorth wrote:Moose23 here already ? You know dude will fully support the Bleacher Report for this. "Most definitely" one of the biggest demar haters on this board.

Discuss basketball, not other posters.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#132 » by Kabookalu » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:39 pm

Pericles wrote:No advanced stat, that I'm aware of, acurately tracks how putting a team in foul trouble effects a team. Demar's ability to
shoot 12-14 FT per game, I believe, makes
up for his inability to shoot the 3.

There isn't a stat for this, but in theory drawing a ton of fouls helps bail the team out from bad/stagnant offensive possessions. 2 points by going to the free throw line is the exact same as when the ball is zipping all over the court until it finds itself in the hands of a wide open cutter down low. It's one of the biggest reasons why DeMar is as good as he is offensively. Though I'd gladly trade less trips to the free throw if he were a better playmaker/3 point shooter. Other guys who draw a ton of fouls, like Westbrook and Harden, are a lot better in making their teammates better because of superior passing, and in Harden's case, 3 point shooting.

Read on Twitter
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#133 » by RaptorsNorth » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:19 pm

Mikistan wrote:

while we're at it can we make a couple defensive lowlight videos of JV.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#134 » by MikeM » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:29 pm

Most likely he will get more credit after this year when the NBA sees how bad Patterson, Carroll and Joseph are as role players in different situations.

It's like the NBA caught on too slowly to Patterson. Everyone saying how good of a role player he is but that was really a long time ago. Demar *had* to carry the offence at times. He came to the gym every day ready to carry the load and his team finished near the top. That's an all-star. Always has been and always will be.

He's not super efficient but he's not inefficient either. But he comes to work every night and his team gets results so who else are you picking over him? Role players who stand in the corner like Otto Porter? FOH.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,925

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bleacher Report on DeMar: "the fact he's earning All-Star berths...is utterly ridiculous" 

Post#135 » by Potential » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:29 pm

Moose23 wrote:
Potential wrote:
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:
On Thursday evening games in November against the Central division when it's snowing after two days rest, Demar has a TS% of .700 in the fourth quarter with six minutes or less left in a game decided by 5 or less points.

Yeah ok let's ignore the clutch game in the most famous arena in the world and also the Celtics game on ESPN at home without Lowry and the game 7 3rd quarter takeover against Indy and the Game 3 and 4 in the ECF. #FakeAllStar #MiddletonBetter #
So 5 games?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

He was also the first player since MJ to start off the season scoring 30+ in 10 straight games I also remember most of his high scoring games this season where he was just unstoppable and teams zoned in on him and coaches voted him in the asg because of his impact just being on the court and causing trouble for defenses. I also remember he average 27 ppg in the 2017 nba season on like 46% which was good too
Moose23
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#136 » by Moose23 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 6:16 pm

So I ran some numbers to compare the top 5 shooting guards in the league (or many who argue who the top 5 ones are)
Demar, Harden, Butler, Beal and Hayward(although Hayward plays a fair bit of sf too)

What I ran the numbers on was based on games played, minutes played, assist points created for the season(based on averages) and 1 conversions and free throw points scored, 3pt points scored and 2pt points scored based on attempts and percentages.

Then I take those numbers and based them on points generated per attempt (self), points generated per minute (self) and points generated per team (self).

The points generated per minute- team, includes assisted points

as you can see on a points per attempt basis Demar is the lowest ranked player (he is the worst shooter, not a surprising revelation)

He does rank quite well in points generated per minute - team though (which takes assisted points into consideration) ranking as the second best, a little ahead of Butler.

And not surprisingly, his points generated per minute - self is off the charts as he is more of a me first player than anyone else on the list.

Again these numbers are obviously not perfect and are open to some interpretation as usage and role play a large part in some of the included factors such as assists points created/game.
Reg00
Starter
And1: 1,402

Post#137 » by Reg00 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 6:25 pm

This is more of a "what makes an all star debate." Usually a combination of raw old fashioned stats combined with winning for that season, and sprinkled a little name recognition in there.

It's certainly NOT career stats. He's averaged 23.4 in the last 4 year period. Yah know, the period hes been an all star. Also a period of success for the Raps.

He has his flaws, and I would Absolutely question his All NBA nod, but usually with a winning team and good Per/Gm stats there is a good chance you get a slot. ESPECIALLY with the state of the Eastern conference.

I did not hit that link. The "extremely online" Raptors community has helped too many writers as it is.
5'11 Point Forward
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#138 » by lolwut » Wed Aug 9, 2017 6:35 pm

Moose23 wrote:So I ran some numbers to compare the top 5 shooting guards in the league (or many who argue who the top 5 ones are)
Demar, Harden, Butler, Beal and Hayward(although Hayward plays a fair bit of sf too)

What I ran the numbers on was based on games played, minutes played, assist points created for the season(based on averages) and 1 conversions and free throw points scored, 3pt points scored and 2pt points scored based on attempts and percentages.

Then I take those numbers and based them on points generated per attempt (self), points generated per minute (self) and points generated per team (self).

The points generated per minute- team, includes assisted points

as you can see on a points per attempt basis Demar is the lowest ranked player (he is the worst shooter, not a surprising revelation)

He does rank quite well in points generated per minute - team though (which takes assisted points into consideration) ranking as the second best, a little ahead of Butler.

And not surprisingly, his points generated per minute - self is off the charts as he is more of a me first player than anyone else on the list.

Again these numbers are obviously not perfect and are open to some interpretation as usage and role play a large part in some of the included factors such as assists points created/game.

You should replace Hayward and Harden with Klay and McCollum. Hayward mostly played SF and Harden was essentially a PG.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
smallgains
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,369

Post#139 » by smallgains » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:29 pm

Kabookalu wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:

If you think bad closeouts is the same thing as completely losing your man from the weak side, I don't know what to tell you. Harden is a complete liability right from the get go because he stops trying as soon as they cross the half court line. DeRozan is a liability the longer the defensive possession lasts because of his slow foot speed and lack of good judgment on closeouts, but I'd rather have the player that doesn't give up on defense the moment he has to start playing defense.

I literally don't understand how people can watch these two players and think they're even on the same level defensively. Harden is atrocious in every sense of the word.

It amazes me that a guy who is thought of by most of his peers as having some of the best footwork on offense(DD) can be so slow footed on defense. The only thing it can be is a complete lack of effort.

Return to Toronto Raptors