ImageImageImageImageImage

Salt Lake Tribune: Wright's big opportunity in Toronto may be at hand

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#1 » by vini_vidi_vici » Wed Aug 9, 2017 12:00 am

Been posted??

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/08/07/former-ute-delon-wrights-big-opportunity-in-toronto-may-be-at-hand/

The young point guard is expecting former Utah star Jakob Poeltl to make a leap next season.

“I expect a lot from Jak,” he said. “He’s going up for that backup center spot. I just think the more he learns, the better he gets. I think this year he’ll really turn some heads and show all the hard work he’s put in.”

Wright expects himself to make a big leap, too.

As he prepares to shoulder a greater responsibility next season, Wright has spent his summer in Los Angeles, laboring to improve his 3-point shooting (he shot just 33.3 percent from deep last season) and his ball-handling.

Recently, Wright spent a week working out with Oklahoma City star Russell Westbrook.

“I’m learning from an MVP,” Wright said. “I’m just trying to use what I learn this summer and use it this season.”

He has spent his summer facing off against NBA stars James Harden and Chris Paul in pro-am battles in the Drew League.

“I just feel like with me having a whole summer to prepare and with my experience last year,” Wright said, “I feel I’m ready to step up.”

Im sure ppl will find some negative with training with Westbrook hah.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Re: Salt Lake Tribune: Wright's big opportunity in Toronto may be at hand 

Post#2 » by sule » Wed Aug 9, 2017 12:33 am

I'm holding out anticipation for huge leaps in skill and ability in Wright, only b/c he's already 25 and will be entering his 3rd year without too much to show offensively after 4 years in college.

I'd put my money on incremental improvements year-on-year for the next 2-3 years, but I remain skeptical of his becoming significantly better than what he is now (i.e., going from backup to starter potential).

It's possible, but how often does it happen with 4-year college players already entering their prime NBA years?

If he does make the leap, this will be the year.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,252

Post#3 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Aug 9, 2017 12:34 am

Corey as the main back up is gone..talk about really going out on a limb.

Not to mention Delon didn't need to go to OKC to find out Spalding is your best friend.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
right between the eyes
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,513

Post#4 » by right between the eyes » Wed Aug 9, 2017 12:51 am

How dare they misspell our all star point guard's name like that? Kyle Lowery really??
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,789

Post#5 » by Duffman100 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 1:16 am

Love the lineup versatility he gives us. Can play 1, 2 and 3 in smaller lineups.
ReaLiez
General Board Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,246

Post#6 » by ReaLiez » Wed Aug 9, 2017 1:37 am

Wright is going to be a success with his amazing defense as displayed in his limited minutes last year
Justice
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#7 » by RonaldArtest » Wed Aug 9, 2017 1:37 am

His shooting next season will decide how much he capitalizes on his opportunity. If defenders have to respect his shot and not sag low or go under screens, the rest of his game offensively will flourish. He's a more dynamic playmaker than Joseph, but he has to be confident with the jimmy and prove that it's in his arsenal.
BBallInSight
Sixth Man
And1: 1,337

Post#8 » by BBallInSight » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:08 am

PhilBlackson wrote:Corey as the main back up is gone..talk about really going out on a limb.

Not to mention Delon didn't need to go to OKC to find out Spalding is your best friend.

They must be somewhat confident in Vanvleet as well to have made the leap.
Rainman66
Pro Prospect
And1: 106

Post#9 » by Rainman66 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:15 am

what do people think of the Lowry/Wright/DeRozan/Ibaka/Poeltl lineup that Casey used to trot out sometimes last season. May give us the extra ball handling that we lost with Joseph when Lowry slides over to the 2 and Delon and Jakob have that added chemisty.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#10 » by Double Helix » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:16 am

sule wrote:I'm holding out anticipation for huge leaps in skill and ability in Wright, only b/c he's already 25 and will be entering his 3rd year without too much to show offensively after 4 years in college.

I'd put my money on incremental improvements year-on-year for the next 2-3 years, but I remain skeptical of his becoming significantly better than what he is now (i.e., going from backup to starter potential).

It's possible, but how often does it happen with 4-year college players already entering their prime NBA years?

Delon's path is fairly unconventional though already. Read more about it here.
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#11 » by Red_Claw » Wed Aug 9, 2017 3:32 am

Delon will be the highlight of 2017 - 2018 season.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,563

Post#12 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 3:58 am

sule wrote:I'm holding out anticipation for huge leaps in skill and ability in Wright, only b/c he's already 25 and will be entering his 3rd year without too much to show offensively after 4 years in college.

Older rookies can still come into the league and improve dramatically. The NBA will improve you. Especially a player like Delon who's game will improve greatly as his jumper improves.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,752

Post#13 » by Basketball_Jones » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:15 am

I'm expecting a solid showing from Wright this season, he hasn't had much opportunity to show other then the 905 league. But he's 25 and has pretty much spent 3 years preparing for actual consistent playing time. If he's not ready now, that would be sad.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#14 » by C_Money » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:48 am

He's an upgrade over Cory Joseph. The offence runs so much smoother with Wright at the Point.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#15 » by RaptorsNorth » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:55 am

The biggest issue with wright is his shooting. Right now I'd compare him to younger version of rondo with size until I see a consistent jump shot.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Post#16 » by Darkseid » Wed Aug 9, 2017 10:21 am

Zach Lowe believes in Delon Wright.

I guess we should too.
yk24
Sixth Man
And1: 346

Post#17 » by yk24 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 12:59 pm

Its always better to keep low expectations from anything so that when that 'thing' performs well you are thoroughly surprised by its improvement. I think the same should be applied to our young guns!!
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,920

Post#18 » by Senbonzakura » Wed Aug 9, 2017 1:37 pm

I think Wright is the only guy I see as an upgrade in this youth movement thing. Think he could be a lot better than CoJo and will bring a different mentality from the other guards we've had through these past few years (Kyle, DeMar, Lou, CoJo, Vasquez, Powell, etc) who've all been score-first types rather than pass-first. Really think Delon will look to get the guys in the second unit involved with his playmaking.
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,920

Post#19 » by Senbonzakura » Wed Aug 9, 2017 1:39 pm

Rainman66 wrote:what do people think of the Lowry/Wright/DeRozan/Ibaka/Poeltl lineup that Casey used to trot out sometimes last season. May give us the extra ball handling that we lost with Joseph when Lowry slides over to the 2 and Delon and Jakob have that added chemisty.

I think it's very possible this could end up being our closing lineup.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#20 » by vini_vidi_vici » Wed Aug 9, 2017 1:56 pm

Senbonzakura wrote:
Rainman66 wrote:what do people think of the Lowry/Wright/DeRozan/Ibaka/Poeltl lineup that Casey used to trot out sometimes last season. May give us the extra ball handling that we lost with Joseph when Lowry slides over to the 2 and Delon and Jakob have that added chemisty.

I think it's very possible this could end up being our closing lineup.

I find it hard to believe CJ/Norm wont be part of that. I think dependent on the size of the opposing 4, youre likely to see a KL/Norm/DD/CJ/Ibaka closing lineup.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.

Return to Toronto Raptors