ImageImageImageImageImage

Salt Lake Tribune: Wright's big opportunity in Toronto may be at hand

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Re: Salt Lake Tribune: Wright's big opportunity in Toronto may be at hand 

Post#21 » by dacrusha » Wed Aug 9, 2017 1:58 pm

Really looking forward to seeing what Delon can do this year. Rookie season he had very few minutes and last year his injury really killed any momentum. I think he's going to open a few eyes this year and be very very capable as our main backup PG.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 7,992

Post#22 » by ontnut » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:27 pm

His development may be the single most critical determining factor in our success this year. Hoping for the best, but I'm still glad we have FVV as a reliable 3rd PG.
Johnny Be Goode
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#23 » by Johnny Be Goode » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:25 pm

Delon has that smooth athleticism which is quite rare in the NBA I think. He's not very strong nor explosive and he's also lacking that killer instinct. But I think he has a really high basketball IQ and a knack for making the right play.

I think he'll become a solid starter level player for sure.

Who does he remind you of? I think he has that smoothness of DWade. Obviously he's nowhere near the talent but just that smoothness and craftiness makes it a pleasure to watch him.

lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,909

Post#24 » by lolwut » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:38 pm

Delon Wright is the future. His hesitation moves are just nasty. He's not an explosive athlete, but his craftiness will take him a long way.

Johnny Be Goode wrote:Delon has that smooth athleticism which is quite rare in the NBA I think. He's not very strong nor explosive and he's also lacking that killer instinct. But I think he has a really high basketball IQ and a knack for making the right play.

I think he'll become a solid starter level player for sure.

Who does he remind you of? I think he has that smoothness of DWade. Obviously he's nowhere near the talent but just that smoothness and craftiness makes it a pleasure to watch him.

I think the similarity is in the way he takes big strides when he runs. He doesn't have explosive foot speed, but his lanky frame combined with big strides makes him deceptively fast on his crossovers and hesitation dribbles.
2023-2024 FatherTrackerâ„¢ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,523

Post#25 » by bluerap23 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:19 pm

Anyone else see Andre Miller in his game?
Sherlock
General Manager
And1: 12,706

Post#26 » by Sherlock » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:31 pm

sule wrote:I'm holding out anticipation for huge leaps in skill and ability in Wright, only b/c he's already 25 and will be entering his 3rd year without too much to show offensively after 4 years in college.

I'd put my money on incremental improvements year-on-year for the next 2-3 years, but I remain skeptical of his becoming significantly better than what he is now (i.e., going from backup to starter potential).

It's possible, but how often does it happen with 4-year college players already entering their prime NBA years?

If he does make the leap, this will be the year.

Draymond Green is the poster child for this. 4 year college guy who made a decent leap from year 1 to year 2, and then a massive leap from year 2 to year 3.

Not saying Delon will be the next Draymond...just that it's not completely unheard of.
Interviewer: Championship #2?
Ujiri: Hey...We're gonna get it. I don't know when it'll be, but we're gonna get it. Just like I said we'll get the first one and I said I didn't know when we'd get it...But we will. Guarantee you we will.
Sherlock
General Manager
And1: 12,706

Post#27 » by Sherlock » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:34 pm

bluerap23 wrote:Anyone else see Andre Miller in his game?

A little bit. With his changes of pace and craftiness in getting to his spots on the floor.

In terms of impact on both sides of the ball though, I see him emerging into a George Hill type of player.
Interviewer: Championship #2?
Ujiri: Hey...We're gonna get it. I don't know when it'll be, but we're gonna get it. Just like I said we'll get the first one and I said I didn't know when we'd get it...But we will. Guarantee you we will.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#28 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:52 pm

The yearly "Can Delon Wright develop a 3 point shot" threads are going to be incredible. His shooting is pretty horrific and he is 25 already. The chances that he develops into even an average shooter are pretty slim.

Yes, Delon is crafty, but when you reach the NBA you have guys who are craft AND elite athletes. Saying his "smooth athleticism" is rare in the NBA is laughable.

The margin of error for Wright is already pretty small given his limitations, people penciling him in as a future starter and a piece of our closing lineup is hilarious.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,160

Post#29 » by Tofubeque » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:05 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:The yearly "Can Delon Wright develop a 3 point shot" threads are going to be incredible. His shooting is pretty horrific and he is 25 already. The chances that he develops into even an average shooter are pretty slim.

He shot .333 from deep last year on just over an attempt per game. That's not bad for not getting consistent minutes or looks.

DeRozan shot .279 on barely more attempts per game. In way more minutes. And he's 3 years older. Guess who I think is more promising as a 3pt shooter.
props Turbozone
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Re: RE: Re: Salt Lake Tribune: Wright's big opportunity in Toronto may be at hand 

Post#30 » by bon » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:46 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:The yearly "Can Delon Wright develop a 3 point shot" threads are going to be incredible. His shooting is pretty horrific and he is 25 already. The chances that he develops into even an average shooter are pretty slim.

Could you at least look at his 3 point shooting numbers before posting
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#31 » by sule » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:57 pm

Sherlock wrote:
sule wrote:I'm holding out anticipation for huge leaps in skill and ability in Wright, only b/c he's already 25 and will be entering his 3rd year without too much to show offensively after 4 years in college.

I'd put my money on incremental improvements year-on-year for the next 2-3 years, but I remain skeptical of his becoming significantly better than what he is now (i.e., going from backup to starter potential).

It's possible, but how often does it happen with 4-year college players already entering their prime NBA years?

Draymond Green is the poster child for this. 4 year college guy who made a decent leap from year 1 to year 2, and then a massive leap from year 2 to year 3.

Not saying Delon will be the next Draymond...just that it's not completely unheard of.

Brandon Roy was the same. Major leap for year 3. Year 3 seems to be the year 4-year college players make the leap and establish themselves.
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,504

Post#32 » by RaptorPride » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:06 am

sule wrote:
Sherlock wrote:

Brandon Roy was the same. Major leap for year 3. Year 3 seems to be the year 4-year college players make the leap and establish themselves.

That means it Delon and Norman time
Spoiler:

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,492

Post#33 » by Duffman100 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:14 am

I see a lot of Shaun Livingston in his game.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,528

Post#34 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:06 am

Duffman100 wrote:I see a lot of Shaun Livingston in his game.

That was my 1st response. Then someone said Andre Miller and that seems to fit as well. I think Wright and Livingston were more dynamic with the ball while Andre was more vet crafty with it. Miller might be the best shooter of the 3 but even he was more of a set 3pt shooter as well. I just like Delon way better than I liked last year cojo

In Raptor Ball I Trust
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,462
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#35 » by SharoneWright » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:10 am

Billups
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,528

Post#36 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:19 am

SharoneWright wrote:Billups

Billups was a way more prolific shooter n scorer than you can realistically claim Delon might become

In Raptor Ball I Trust
orbesnet
Head Coach
And1: 4,275

Post#37 » by orbesnet » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:53 am

I think Delon will impress.

He's got some vision, a decent handle (adding 10-15lbs of handle as we speak?!), and most importantly he doesn't seem to shy away from opportunity.

Hope to see some big strides from him and Norm this year.
Pascal to the future.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#38 » by navyblue » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:56 am

i am so high on delon, he is so much more dynamic on both ends compared to cujo. and the change of pace/style he brings compared to lowry will be breath of fresh air, the calderon/tj ford era, althought i dont expect a playing time contervesy.
TackyRapsFan
Veteran
And1: 2,374

Post#39 » by TackyRapsFan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:02 am

Duffman100 wrote:I see a lot of Shaun Livingston in his game.

Probably best case scenario. Wright hasn't inspired me with all that much hope. Casey doesn't give the kids enough burn.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#40 » by Pooh_Jeter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:42 am

Tofubeque wrote:

He shot .333 from deep last year on just over an attempt per game. That's not bad for not getting consistent minutes or looks.

DeRozan shot .279 on barely more attempts per game. In way more minutes. And he's 3 years older. Guess who I think is more promising as a 3pt shooter.

Wright is a bad shooter in general.

On wide open shots during his NBA career (nearest defender 6+ feet away) he is a total of 11/36 (31%). Keep in mind that isn't just 3 point shots, that is every wide open shot in his NBA career.

He takes VERY few shots with defenders tight on him. He has had some occasional success from the 3 point line in the NBA and D-League, but he has struggled with shots outside the restricted area in both leagues.

When your jump shot is a work in progress AND you have some trouble making gimmes at the rim that is a problem. He has a slow release and has no off the dribble shooting ability. Teams play him to shoot and he has trouble making them pay. He has the crafty herky-jerky game because he isn't an exceptional athlete nor does he have a strong frame. He is tall for a PG, but his wingspan isn't great and obviously being big for a PG still leaves you at a size disadvantage when you are attacking the paint against bigs.

I have no confidence in DeRozan ever developing a 3 point shot, but at least he can hit the mid range shot and he is outstanding finishing around the hoop through contact. There are absolutely things Wright does that are NBA calibre, but his overall offensive game is a glaring weakness and will be exposed with increased minutes against good competition.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.

Return to Toronto Raptors