ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - Vince Carter documentary to premiere at TIFF in September

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

rapcity10
Senior
And1: 437

Re: OT - Vince Carter documentary to premiere at TIFF in September 

Post#21 » by rapcity10 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:25 pm

I still think he comes here next year and finishes out his career here. He signed for one year with the Kings no? He said he wants to play 2 more season? Makes too much sense. It's either that or he ring chases for the final year of his career. Maybe he does a Paul pierce and signs a one day contract when he finally decides to hang them up.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#22 » by ontnut » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:29 pm

Tickets will be 50% off, because VC quits halfway through the documentary.
tdot56
Analyst
And1: 3,080

Post#23 » by tdot56 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:47 pm

Kabookalu wrote:Everyone is just going to be booing the whole movie.

Best raptor of all time..no contest..... only fools don't get it...
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#24 » by ontnut » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:49 pm

tdot56 wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:Everyone is just going to be booing the whole movie.

Best raptor of all time..no contest..... only fools don't get it...

He is the best of all time, no doubt. I suppose that continues to play a role in some fan's anger towards him. If we had a LBJ or KD right now, it would be different; but, his legacy still hangs over the heads of those not yet willing to forgive.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,278

Post#25 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:54 pm

Hopefully it explains how he recovered so quickly from the "jumper's knee" issue that so badly limited him for 2 years and yet it was gone in just 2 weeks of being a Net. My guess is that it must have been Babcock's fault.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#26 » by Kurtz » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:56 pm

dacrusha wrote:
Is there any other precedent for a player that completely gave up and stopped playing... and then played at a super-star level weeks later with his new team?

Is there precedent for a player to get traded into a much better situation and then elevate their play as a result?

No, I imagine there would be no precedent for a thing like that...
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#27 » by North_of_Border » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:31 pm

VC is the Greatest Raptor in history. Yes, ye dogged it out at the end. He played like garbage on purpose. He faked it. To get traded. Big scum bag move.

Though some blame goes to the organization. VC made it clear he wanted out. And the Raps could of traded him for a HUGE haul early on. Maybe even in the middle. But they were hell bent on changing his mind. They refused to deal him. Even when they dealt him to NJ. The goal was to change his mind and keep him. The team just couldn't get over it. It was over long ago. Just didn't accept it.

In the end. It was a long time ago. Time to forgive and forget. Remembers the good times. Why be depressed now. Its just a game. Not life and death. VC deserves better.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,569

Post#28 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:47 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:
HeartDonor wrote:And1 if your up for a Jurrasic Park viewing after dark!

I would say i'll bring the backwoods but my corner store tried to charge me 11.99 for a pack :crazy:

I paid 14 last week at a esso. Late night problems

In Raptor Ball I Trust
TooBad
Starter
And1: 1,193

Post#29 » by TooBad » Wed Aug 9, 2017 10:38 pm

I remember hearing awhile back that The Raptors management at the time promised Carter that they would hire some former player that Carter wanted (forget who) as their GM but ultimately lied to him. I hope they talk about that more in this movie.
bozothepope
Sixth Man
And1: 4,225

Post#30 » by bozothepope » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:00 pm

TooBad wrote:I remember hearing awhile back that The Raptors management at the time promised Carter that they would hire some former player that Carter wanted (forget who) as their GM but ultimately lied to him. I hope they talk about that more in this movie.

Dr. J?
TooBad
Starter
And1: 1,193

Post#31 » by TooBad » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:48 am

bozothepope wrote:
TooBad wrote:I remember hearing awhile back that The Raptors management at the time promised Carter that they would hire some former player that Carter wanted (forget who) as their GM but ultimately lied to him. I hope they talk about that more in this movie.

Dr. J?

Yeah, this article is why I never blamed Carter for leaving. If the management did promise him that than he had a right to be pissed.

http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=1835919
vincecarter55
Rookie
And1: 1,844

Post#32 » by vincecarter55 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:33 am

TooBad wrote:
bozothepope wrote:

Dr. J?

Yeah, this article is why I never blamed Carter for leaving. If the management did promise him that than he had a right to be pissed.

http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=1835919

They also promised him that he would be involved in the draft that year and they bailed on that too. There was more to the story than meets the eye but unfortunately the organization did a good job of with their PR and made VC seem like the only bad guy.
edgehead411
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,142

Post#33 » by edgehead411 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:30 am

I wonder how different the direction of the franchise would have went with Julius Erving as GM.
PM me if interested in writing about the Toronto Raptors!
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#34 » by lobosloboslobos » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:46 am

Let's see. Made the playoffs on a team that had good pieces and was getting better. Played to adoring crowds everywhere with huge hometown and national support. Was an all-star and Olympian star and had major respect from other players and the NBA. Made lots of money. His Mom had plenty of pull within the team. Was allowed to go get his degree across the country on the day of the biggest game of his life and of the team's history. Was catered to in many many ways.

Oh but...wait...he was promised this and then he was promised that...and he didn't get it? boo hoo. wah wah wah. he is surely the only employee in history who was promised something by management and didn't get it. wah wah wah. and all those other promises they kept (and fans and teammates) meant nothing compared to whatever Vince was upset about, right?

Are you kidding me? OF COURSE Vince was the greatest Raptor ever. Duh. That is what it makes it worse. You know these days I'm not a fan of Demar lying on the court wincing every time he gets hit, but that's NOTHING to the way Vince seemed to have been instantly killed game after game. Dude had the lowest pain threshold in history AND despite his greatness was nothing compared to what he could have been had he actually cared to work even a fraction of the amount Demar has. Vince was one of the most amazing athletes I have ever seen and I am grateful to him for the immense joy he brought to me during the good times, but the bad times were pathetic, and the weakest in-game sh*t I have ever seen from any great player in any sport.

I was so pissed at the time. I don't much care anymore and I definitely prefer to remember the good times, which were many. But on this board let's not have any whitewashing. Dude full on quit on his team. the best player bailed, game after game, being a huge and obvious suck as the grown men around him battled for their teams. Doesn't take a whole lot of that for you to lose respect, and there was a lot of it...

His longevity has been remarkable. I used to say he didn't deserve the HoF but with his consistency and numbers it's inevitable. But there is a reason he never came close to winning anything.

And I don't hold it against him as a human being. To each his own, and he seems like a nice guy. But when I think about it, do I still hold his weak selfishness on the court against him as a Raptor fan, even as I am still thrilled by memories of how great he was? yeah, no doubt

I encourage all you young'uns to see the film. i don't need to. I watch youtube videos when i want to remember the good times with VC. and the other times, well, whatever...
orbesnet
Head Coach
And1: 4,276

Post#35 » by orbesnet » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:20 pm

He was something to witness as a young raptors fan, but at this point I think he's a footnote.

I guess people who didn't witness it or are just looking to rub all that nostalgia all over themselves will have the opportunity.
Pascal to the future.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,402

Post#36 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:25 pm

orbesnet wrote:He was something to witness as a young raptors fan, but at this point I think he's a footnote.

I guess people who didn't witness it or are just looking to rub all that nostalgia all over themselves will have the opportunity.

Well that's not fun.

VC will never be a footnote in Raptors history; he's probably the biggest name in the book to this date. The only Raptors personnel that comes close to having that type of impact on the franchise is likely Ujiri.

There is a huge subsection of fans - myself included - who left hockey for basketball because of Vince. There's a huge number of kids excelling at basketball in Ontario because of Vince. And we can't forget that Vince did embrace this city; he did a lot work in the community, owned businesses, etc.

The story ended on a sour note - mainly because as a young franchise, the Raptors had no idea how to handle a superstar. MLSE gave too much and somehow at the same time didn't give enough. But to write off his impact based on that is short-sighted. And I say this as someone who wore a t-shirt that said "half man half a season" on the front with a picture of Vince on the floor, and the tag "make your decisions without your mom" on the back for his first game back.
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#37 » by MavCarter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:38 pm

zippy wrote:This is so nice, instead of signing an AMAZING veteran SF that we DESPERATELY need, we let him go to Sacrapmento and we make a documentary about him instead.

Is it me or is this franchise severely flawed?

It clearly says at the bottom of the article that its exec produced by lebron, maverick carter, drake and ftp. This has nothing to do with MLSE :crazy:
#Enjoytheride
TerryTate
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#38 » by TerryTate » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:09 pm

North_of_Border wrote:VC is the Greatest Raptor in history. Yes, ye dogged it out at the end. He played like garbage on purpose. He faked it. To get traded. Big scum bag move.

I agree, but Bosh did the same thing and you don't see him with the same flak back. In addition, BC did everything Bosh wanted and he still bailed.
VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

Re: RE: Re: OT - Vince Carter documentary to premiere at TIFF in September 

Post#39 » by VinBaker6 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:22 pm

McGregFan wrote:
zippy wrote:This is so nice, instead of signing an AMAZING veteran SF that we DESPERATELY need, we let him go to Sacrapmento and we make a documentary about him instead.

Is it me or is this franchise severely flawed?

It clearly says at the bottom of the article that its exec produced by lebron, maverick carter, drake and ftp. This has nothing to do with MLSE :crazy:

LeBron to Toronto confirmed

S/O to TZ!
orbesnet
Head Coach
And1: 4,276

Post#40 » by orbesnet » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:03 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
orbesnet wrote:He was something to witness as a young raptors fan, but at this point I think he's a footnote.

Well that's not fun.

VC will never be a footnote in Raptors history; he's probably the biggest name in the book to this date. The only Raptors personnel that comes close to having that type of impact on the franchise is likely Ujiri.

There is a huge subsection of fans - myself included - who left hockey for basketball because of Vince. There's a huge number of kids excelling at basketball in Ontario because of Vince. And we can't forget that Vince did embrace this city; he did a lot work in the community, owned businesses, etc.

The story ended on a sour note - mainly because as a young franchise, the Raptors had no idea how to handle a superstar. MLSE gave too much and somehow at the same time didn't give enough. But to write off his impact based on that is short-sighted. And I say this as someone who wore a t-shirt that said "half man half a season" on the front with a picture of Vince on the floor, and the tag "make your decisions without your mom" on the back for his first game back.

I dunno. I hear what you're saying but think it's all overrated. Vince embodied the "big talent - no heart" in his time with the Raps. i admit when he played well it was truly something to witness, it just didn't last or amount to very much.

As someone who was playing basketball in Toronto before the Raptors even existed I can tell you there was no shortage of interest in the sport. For all the hoopla that surrounds the legend of Vince at least half of it involved him rolling around the ground into a commercial break... and I feel like the franchise has matured so far past the accomplishments of his era that it all just amounts to nostalgia in my eyes.
Pascal to the future.

Return to Toronto Raptors