ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: NBA Christmas Day Schedule announced.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

rapcity10
Senior
And1: 437

Re: OT: NBA Christmas Day Schedule announced. 

Post#41 » by rapcity10 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:33 am

Kurtz wrote:
rapcity10 wrote:
Kurtz wrote:

All of that plays a factor, but if you can't recognize that local TV markets play a massive role in the selection, and is the primary reason that NYK/LA/Philly are shown instead of San Antonio/New Orleans/Raptors/Antekoumpo's/ etcI don't know what to tell you.

Sure It plays a factor. But philly hasn't been on Christmas Day since prime Iverson days. Wolves last year was their first year back on Christmas Day since KG days. The Spurs have been on Christmas for the past decade plus, philly hasn't. I don't know where your getting this information from. It's 80 percent about the brand, appeal to the NBA and national audience, star power, rivalries, best teams, best up and coming young players. Going by the market, why isn't the clippers or nets on Christmas?

Lol, what are you talking about? Brooklyn has one of the worst local TV numbers in the league. Nobody wants to watch them, not even in Brooklyn (most of their fans are still in Jersey).

And Clippers are going to be a non-factor again in LA next year, their ratings are going to be garbage.

Dude, you're admitting yourself that the only reason that NYK/LA are on the sched is because of the local TV market. Why are you even arguing with me that the local tv markets aren't a major factor? Your argument is that San Antonio is usually on the sched? They should be on the sched as long as they remain a top-3 team in the NBA. Not having them this year is inexcusable, and their TV market is the only thing to blame.

Ditto the up and coming Bucks and New Orleans. Flip the Bucks and the 76ers rosters, and I can guarantee that it's still the Philly team that gets the slot over the Bucks.

I have no idea what your talking about, after the fact you said philly is usually on there for the Spurs your argument went out the door. The reason philly is on is cause they have the brand (trust the process), a good team, 3 superstar talents, two number one picks debuting in the same season, a darling among fans in Joel Embid, and the chance to be a national darling this year. Not because there a top market team. The Bucks only have Giannis that fans want to tune in, the Spurs have Kawhi, Philly has more to offer in terms of appeal and brand. The lakers and Knicks are exceptions, do you know why buddy? Cause there two historic teams, the top two most valuable teams in the league, there a cash flow for the league. Have you realized why that whenever the Knicks and lakers play on Christmas, there usually 90 percent of the time at home? Cause Madison square Garden and staples centre(lakers) are the two biggest and most recognizable Venues in the league, and in all of sports. It's a given there always slotted at those times for Christmas, cause of those advantages they have. This year the lakers are going to be the most popular team in the league, cause of Lonzo ball. The Knicks have a rising young superstar, and one of the Most popular players in the league. The Wizards aren't there cause of their market Einstein, it's cause they have a rivalry with the celtics, and they have one of the best young cores in the league, not to mention a future MVP candidate as soon as this year in Jhon Wall.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,585

Post#42 » by Syd-TK3 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:54 am

So why don't the spurs have a game??

Sent from my SGH-I337M using RealGM mobile app
aselvana
Bench Warmer
And1: 886

Post#43 » by aselvana » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:05 am

is it me, season starting earlier?
How would you describe Raptors RGM forum in one sentence?
Steelo Green wrote:The one title shouldn’t excuse what was mediocrity all around it.
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,945

Post#44 » by EH15 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:19 am

They had the Sixers play and the Lakers play but somehow didn't match them up. That's NBA schedule makers for ya.
guess_wh0
Pro Prospect
And1: 413

Post#45 » by guess_wh0 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:53 am

PHILLY vs BUCKS not the Knicks
T'WOLVES vs PELICANS not the Lakers

And we would've had a perfect slate of Christmas games. The Lakers still have some young guys worth watching, but the Knicks. C'mon now!
rapcity10
Senior
And1: 437

Post#46 » by rapcity10 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:00 am

guess_wh0 wrote:PHILLY vs BUCKS not the Knicks
T'WOLVES vs PELICANS not the Lakers

And we would've had a perfect slate of Christmas games. The Lakers still have some young guys worth watching, but the Knicks. C'mon now!

Bucks replacing the Knicks I see. But have you realized the Knicks always play at home on Christmas? It's the Mecca of basketball, worlds most famous arena. That alone gets them a home Christmas game every year, even if there bad. Kristap is also one of the most popular players in the league, and he's very good too, so that doesn't hurt. The lakers are going to be the most popular team in the league this year, they'll get the maximum slotted games possible on national TV I'm pretty sure, and that's all got to do with Lonzo ball, most talked about rookie since Lebron James.
agentzero2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,686

Post#47 » by agentzero2010 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:18 am

Hold on, no Spurs or Clippers? What? Instead of showcasing the Raptors, Spurs, Clippers, Bucks or Portland, you know, actual playoff teams with quality stars, let's put 2 teams that have not made the playoffs in the past 4 seasons in the same game to kick off the Christmas schedule. God these ESPN schedule makers need to get their act together.

I would've done:
Raptors at Bostons
Cavs at Warriors
Thunder at Rockets
Wizards at Spurs
T wolves at Lakers

Those matchups would've so much more intriguing. But I think there should be a rule that top a 4 seed from the previous season would guarantee a spot on the Christmas games. It's unrealistic but makes the regular season records a bit more important.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#48 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:32 am

agentzero2010 wrote:Hold on, no Spurs or Clippers? What? Instead of showcasing the Raptors, Spurs, Clippers, Bucks or Portland, you know, actual playoff teams with quality stars, let's put 2 teams that have not made the playoffs in the past 4 seasons in the same game to kick off the Christmas schedule. God these ESPN schedule makers need to get their act together.

I would've done:
Raptors at Bostons
Cavs at Warriors
Thunder at Rockets
Wizards at Spurs
T wolves at Lakers

Those matchups would've so much more intriguing. But I think there should be a rule that top a 4 seed from the previous season would guarantee a spot on the Christmas games. It's unrealistic but makes the regular season records a bit more important.

What if the 7th seed in west has a better record than 4th seed in east. That wouldn't be fair

But christmas games is all about ratings which we can't provide I'm sure our players are happy with day off
Raptors til death
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,804

Post#49 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:08 am

Pretty much exactly what I picked just different matchups.

Not at all surprised raptors are out again.

Thanks silver, you still suck.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#50 » by macNcheese3 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:13 am

Carmelo, big Apple or not- we should have been slotted instead of NY..I understand our ISO is hurtful to watch but we deserve a Christmas game
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#51 » by whysoserious » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Honestly, I don't care if they put us on a Christmas day game or not. Half the time I can't even sit down and truly watch basketball anyways.

As far as this lineup goes, it's overall pretty good. You got most of your biggest markets playing or your marquee teams. Knicks/Sixers is puzzling but I can understand taking a chance on the Sixers young guys and the number 1 pick from this year.
Iamtheliquor
Rookie
And1: 1,176

Post#52 » by Iamtheliquor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:08 pm

Sad but not surprised. I guess the 25th should be spent with family and not the Raptors anyways...
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,848

Post#53 » by JShuttlesworth » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:18 pm

I'm happy the Raptors don't play on Christmas - Let's our guys have some time to relax and spend extra time with their families.

There are a few bad teams in there, but overall I like the matchups. I usually watch basketball all day on Christmas, so I'll be glued to the TV.

Return to Toronto Raptors