ImageImageImageImageImage

Favourite Things To Do In Toronto

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

yodamaster
Veteran
And1: 2,629

Re: Favourite Things To Do In Toronto 

Post#61 » by yodamaster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:41 pm

ruckus wrote:
rapcity10 wrote:What's some of the best pizza spots in The downtown core or GTA?

Depends what you like. There's a different type of pizza spot for any palate. You have the restaurant-style at Terroni's or 850 in Etobicoke. You can get deep dish way out west at Mickey's. I also saw a deep dish place at the Dundas/Ossington area but, I haven't tried it yet. For take out, there's FBI in Etobicoke who has the same owners as Queen Margherita. Speaking of which Margherita and Libretto are always good standbys. And I'm sure there are a bunch of other places that I missed. Off the beaten path, you can get a Turkish pizza called pide in the Gerrard area.

That's also not mentioning the fast food joints like Nova, Pizza Pizza, etc. of which I find Pizza Nova the best quality.

i find the pizza chain Panango waay better than Terroni's... meh... then again you dont really go there for the pizza. lol.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,278

Post#62 » by ruckus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:50 pm

yodamaster wrote:
ruckus wrote:
rapcity10 wrote:What's some of the best pizza spots in The downtown core or GTA?

Depends what you like. There's a different type of pizza spot for any palate. You have the restaurant-style at Terroni's or 850 in Etobicoke. You can get deep dish way out west at Mickey's. I also saw a deep dish place at the Dundas/Ossington area but, I haven't tried it yet. For take out, there's FBI in Etobicoke who has the same owners as Queen Margherita. Speaking of which Margherita and Libretto are always good standbys. And I'm sure there are a bunch of other places that I missed. Off the beaten path, you can get a Turkish pizza called pide in the Gerrard area.

That's also not mentioning the fast food joints like Nova, Pizza Pizza, etc. of which I find Pizza Nova the best quality.

i find the pizza chain Panango waay better than Terroni's... meh... then again you dont really go there for the pizza. lol.

Truth be told, I've never actually ordered a pizza for myself at Terroni's. I've gladly helped myself to someone elses slice though. A trip to Terroni's isn't complete without an order of funghi assoluti and the beef carpaccio with a bottle of peroni.
Verrocity
Ballboy
And1: 76

Post#63 » by Verrocity » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:59 pm

Honestly, this will come off completely biased and homeresque...

But I cannot imagine living anywhere else in the world other than Toronto.

We really have it all here!

Diversity, Cuisine, Sports & Entertainment, Night Life, Hot Women, Equal Opportunity, RealGM Presence. What more do you need???
ruckus
RealGM

Post#64 » by ruckus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:02 pm

Verrocity wrote:Honestly, this will come off completely biased and homeresque...

Diversity, Cuisine, Sports & Entertainment, Night Life, Hot Women, Equal Opportunity, RealGM Presence. What more do you need???

Better weather.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,875

Post#65 » by Merit » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:11 pm

ruckus wrote:
Verrocity wrote:Honestly, this will come off completely biased and homeresque...

Better weather.

Touche.

Also, ruckus - interested in your restaurant picks in Etobicoke. I just moved to the west end and am pretty lost, aside from Apache and a few little places I know. Any tips in Mississauga are also appreciated.

Toronto is awesome though, and we might just get better weather. Global warming is real.
I believe in Masai.
ruckus
RealGM

Post#66 » by ruckus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Merit wrote:
ruckus wrote:

Better weather.

Touche.

Also, ruckus - interested in your restaurant picks in Etobicoke. I just moved to the west end and am pretty lost, aside from Apache and a few little places I know. Any tips in Mississauga are also appreciated.

Toronto is awesome though, and we might just get better weather. Global warming is real.

Apache? bleh. I don't frequent Mississauga too often unless it's for a family thing. Etobicoke is my hood.

You can't go wrong with the Priest on Queensway for burgers. I swear by Insadong on Dundas for Korean. Mamma Martino's for homemade Italian. 850 on Lakeshore for pizza. And if we don't feel like trekking downtown, we do head to Mississauga for Ramen - Kenzo on Burnhamthorpe with a little bubble tea at Chatime right beside it.

That's really it in terms of places we frequent. If there's something new to try, we generally head downtown for that. If you want rolled thai ice cream, check out Wow Wow Yum Yum at Rockwood Mall on Dixie.

Actually, my favorite place, although we don't get to go there too much, is New Orleans restaurant on Scarlett Road. If you're an old head, like myself, there used to be a Creole place at the old food court at Sherway Gardens in the 90s. He shut down shop there, went to Oakville for a bit and then re-opened on Scarlett Road. Hands down the best creole food in Toronto. We've tried other places like Southern Accent and, it doesn't come close.
ruckus
RealGM

Post#67 » by ruckus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
ruckus wrote:

Libretto is indeed awesome.

For generic chain pizza it’s Dominoes all the way.

Not a fan of Dominoes. I could probably eat thin crust, well done pizza from Pizza Nova on a daily basis if I had to.
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#68 » by CoachJReturns » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:33 pm

ruckus wrote:
CoachJReturns wrote:
Sherlock wrote:
Best part of the city is walking around the various neighbourhoods. All have their own distinct vibe and character. Walk Parkdale, Cabbagetown, little italy, little portugal, koreatown, greektown, yorkville, rosedale, it's awesome.

Worst part of the city is the traffic -- if you drive in Toronto, you'll hate the city. Ditch the car and walk or bike or subway instead, and it's a totally different experience.

When you're tired of the city (or it's too hot) in the summertime, hop on the ferry and head to Toronto Island. Beautiful and relaxing.

This is the most important post for anyone wanting to enjoy the city. Stay the **** away from driving or taking transit and walk or cycle. The difference it makes to the experience is enormous. My whole family, apart from me, lives in the burbs and when they come downtown they are stressed as hell. I mean how can you enjoy yourself when you're jammed between cars, stuck at a light for an hour and can't find a parking space?
Buying a bike last year after moving to the harborfront area was the best purchase I ever made.

Truthfully, I find the whole traffic thing overblown. I was recently in NYC and, that IS a traffic nightmare.

Perhaps. But going from any traffic at all to zero traffic ever is a completely different experience. Do you live downtown?
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#69 » by CoachJReturns » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Merit wrote:
ruckus wrote:

Better weather.

Touche.

I'm born and raised in Etobicoke(family is still there) and can tell you it's pretty bad for restaraunts. You found Apache which is a classic, old school burger place for the west end. Partly because Michael Power used to be located close by and all those guys grew up going there and still go occasionally. I'm assuming you've been to the Dundas Street Grill right across from Apache. That's basically the only diner on Dundas for a very long stretch.
Other than that there's not really anything outside of restaurant chains. I like Perkins for a huge breakfast and Mother Tucker's which are both along Dixon Road.
Unless something new has opened up you're pickings in that part of town are pretty slim. The bars are pretty awful as well. Basically everyone just goes downtown, or closer to downtown for a night out.
ruckus
RealGM

Post#70 » by ruckus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:58 pm

CoachJReturns wrote:
ruckus wrote:
CoachJReturns wrote:This is the most important post for anyone wanting to enjoy the city. Stay the **** away from driving or taking transit and walk or cycle. The difference it makes to the experience is enormous. My whole family, apart from me, lives in the burbs and when they come downtown they are stressed as hell. I mean how can you enjoy yourself when you're jammed between cars, stuck at a light for an hour and can't find a parking space?
Buying a bike last year after moving to the harborfront area was the best purchase I ever made.

Truthfully, I find the whole traffic thing overblown. I was recently in NYC and, that IS a traffic nightmare.

Perhaps. But going from any traffic at all to zero traffic ever is a completely different experience. Do you live downtown?

That's true. It's a learning curve.

I'm an Etobicoke guy born and raised. Never had trouble driving downtown or finding parking.

For out-of-towners, I generally tell them to park at a GO train stop along the Lakeshore line and take the train into Union. From there you can explore to your heart's content.
rapcity10
Senior
And1: 437

Post#71 » by rapcity10 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:10 pm

ruckus wrote:
Merit wrote:
ruckus wrote:
Better weather.

Touche.

Apache? bleh. I don't frequent Mississauga too often unless it's for a family thing. Etobicoke is my hood.

You can't go wrong with the Priest on Queensway for burgers. I swear by Insadong on Dundas for Korean. Mamma Martino's for homemade Italian. 850 on Lakeshore for pizza. And if we don't feel like trekking downtown, we do head to Mississauga for Ramen - Kenzo on Burnhamthorpe with a little bubble tea at Chatime right beside it.

That's really it in terms of places we frequent. If there's something new to try, we generally head downtown for that. If you want rolled thai ice cream, check out Wow Wow Yum Yum at Rockwood Mall on Dixie.

Actually, my favorite place, although we don't get to go there too much, is New Orleans restaurant on Scarlett Road. If you're an old head, like myself, there used to be a Creole place at the old food court at Sherway Gardens in the 90s. He shut down shop there, went to Oakville for a bit and then re-opened on Scarlett Road. Hands down the best creole food in Toronto. We've tried other places like Southern Accent and, it doesn't come close.

This man knows his food!
Rookie
And1: 1,023

Post#72 » by 416 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:34 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:the real question now is.... blunts or papers?

you know I used to see blunt papers sold often back in the day. Would walk down Yonge street from bloor, listening to Blackstar or K-OS on my CD walkman, smoking a nice fatty. Some good times in Toronto for sure... been kinda outta that scene since I'm adulting now though. I hear you can just walk into a dispensary and just buy some nowadays. Is it easy to get blunts though?

Btw best kept secret for chinese food is Shanghai Dim Sum in Richmond Hill, Bayview & Highway 7 area. They have the best and cheapest soup filled dumplings - first four is 99 cents...its ridiculous and the other food is so good. Its sometimes so packed though
thanks sh00n
ill-Will03
Rookie
And1: 1,404

Post#73 » by ill-Will03 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:46 pm

416 wrote:

you know I used to see blunt papers sold often back in the day. Would walk down Yonge street from bloor, listening to Blackstar or K-OS on my CD walkman, smoking a nice fatty. Some good times in Toronto for sure... been kinda outta that scene since I'm adulting now though. I hear you can just walk into a dispensary and just buy some nowadays. Is it easy to get blunts though?

Btw best kept secret for chinese food is Shanghai Dim Sum in Richmond Hill, Bayview & Highway 7 area. They have the best and cheapest soup filled dumplings - first four is 99 cents...its ridiculous and the other food is so good. Its sometimes so packed though

You picked the worst time to become an adult lol, its literally the golden age of buying fire right now. Walk into any dispensary take 5 mins to sign up and boom your in.

The blunts are a problem tho unfortunately, prices keep rising and some corner stores even stopped selling them completely.

That being said, backwoods till im 6 feet loool

ps. if anyones uncle is the plug PM me
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#74 » by nabbs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:38 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:
416 wrote:

You picked the worst time to become an adult lol, its literally the golden age of buying fire right now. Walk into any dispensary take 5 mins to sign up and boom your in.

The blunts are a problem tho unfortunately, prices keep rising and some corner stores even stopped selling them completely.

Hasty market at yonge and church sell backwoods and other blunt papers under the table. Just ask the guy when no one else is in the store.

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
ill-Will03
Rookie
And1: 1,404

Post#75 » by ill-Will03 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:40 pm

nabbs wrote:
ill-Will03 wrote:
416 wrote:

Hasty market at yonge and church sell backwoods and other blunt papers under the table. Just ask the guy when no one else is in the store.

how much tho? Ajax used to have backwood packs for 6 bucks once upon a time. Now I cant find them for less than $12. Anyone know what happened?
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,726

Post#76 » by Basketball_Jones » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:54 pm

CoachJReturns wrote:
This is the most important post for anyone wanting to enjoy the city. Stay the **** away from driving or taking transit and walk or cycle. The difference it makes to the experience is enormous. My whole family, apart from me, lives in the burbs and when they come downtown they are stressed as hell. I mean how can you enjoy yourself when you're jammed between cars, stuck at a light for an hour and can't find a parking space?

You're absolutely right, biking is way faster then driving around. Having a car is really convenient though for errands. What I tend to do is just park somewhere and take transit or walk around wherever I need to go. One spot I normally park at is Yonge/St.Clair apartment buildings, they never check outdoor parking at this building apparently. Then I just take the subway wherever.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
yodamaster
Veteran
And1: 2,629

Post#77 » by yodamaster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:24 pm

i feel u, and i tell exactly same thing to 99% of the people i meet....but i add NYC to the list.. seriously new york city is awesome except toronto has way more diverse food scene imo.
TackyRapsFan
Veteran
And1: 2,374

Post#78 » by TackyRapsFan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:24 pm

ruckus wrote:At the end of the day though, the best part of Toronto in the summer is the women.

Move like they're too nice in the core.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,640

Post#79 » by Jadoogar » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:34 pm

yodamaster wrote:definitely food..

late night @ NEW HO KING
that indian/pakistani restaurant that's always under construction - LAHORE TIka House?
another late night, pork bone soup @ Minera/Owl in K-town
chili chicken @ Yeuh Teung behind the city hall
really any hotpot place up north
jerk chicken @ ritz

i dont care for all that craze and fad ... i stick to the staples lol... chinese, indian, korean, and, carribbean.

Lahore Tika House is always a must when i go home. They even give you Styrofoam cups because us desis are super cheap.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#80 » by Crowned » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:46 pm

yodamaster wrote:

i feel u, and i tell exactly same thing to 99% of the people i meet....but i add NYC to the list.. seriously new york city is awesome except toronto has way more diverse food scene imo.

Have you ever been to NYC? And how many times?

Return to Toronto Raptors