ImageImageImageImageImage

Realistic Expectations for Jakob Poeltl, Pascal Siakam, and Delon Wright heading into 17-18

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

rapcity10
Senior
And1: 437

Re: Realistic Expectations for Jakob Poeltl, Pascal Siakam, and Delon Wright heading into 17-18 

Post#41 » by rapcity10 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:13 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
rapcity10 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
You have no idea what you're taking about here.

Care to explain. Am I wrong in saying that miles is strictly a catch and shoot shooter that is a decent defender. While ross has way more creativity in his game, has a growing floor game, and can create his own whenever he wants and get it off whenever he wants compared to miles because he is a considerably better ball handler, and has more creativity in his game with his crossovers and go to moves. Not saying Ross is some go to player btw.

About a third of Miles shots are spot ups. The rest are off screens etc. Yes he get shis shot off very quick and is good at it. But a big part of his game IS shots after coming off screens. Calling him just a catch and shoot player is wrong. You don't have to be a ballhandler in the way Ross was to be something other than a catch and shoot player. Seems to me there's more than being a pure shooter or a player that creates his own shot and there's definately a middle ground.

Literally the first two videos I saw I can use as examples.

Lowry and Miles in the PNR with Lowry as the ballhandler is going to be something no team can defend well without two very solid man on man and PNR defenders. And if you do that while playing smallball with Miles at the 4, its harder to stop.

He's not going to be the leading scorer or option 1, 2 and maybe 3, but saying he's just a shooter is just bad.

I have no idea how we ended up talking about Miles in a thread that isn't about him, but it deserved a response.

Fair enough.
TackyRapsFan
Veteran
And1: 2,374

Re: Realistic Expectations for Jakob Poeltl, Pascal Siakam, and Delon Wright heading into 17-18 

Post#42 » by TackyRapsFan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
TackyRapsFan wrote:I honestly can't see Wright becoming much. If he becomes Shaun Livingston, that's a hell of a win.

I can't see our bum coach giving the kids a long enough leash. Because he has no foresight. Because he ain't a head coach.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Shaun Livingston out of a 20ish pick is incredible. I actually like Wright a lot, he has potential to be a great defender and passer, like a Rubio-lite. Rubio in a backup role is fantastic.

No doubt, no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,715

Post#43 » by Ell Curry » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:46 pm

I think we'll just end up playing Van Vleet more, like this:

JV-Poeltl OR Bebe
Ibaka-Siakam (Anunoby potentially when he returns)
Powell-Miles
Demar-Wright
Lowry-VanVleet
Where's the D?
Filmshot
Freshman
And1: 106

Post#44 » by Filmshot » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:05 pm

I'm in FVV's camp... as I have said before... don't sleep on Fred, send him out with Lowry and it's like two pitbulls off the leash.
RAZZart
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#45 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:31 pm

Double Helix wrote:OG Anunoby was drafted for defence first and offence into the future. I think he'll be with the team well before the all star break and helping to guard some of the big 3s of the league.

Total off topic, but I think OG shot 70% on twos in the NCAA, I'm guessing most of that with dunks/finishing at the rim. Not that he's going to be an offensive dynamo, but I'm curious to see how that translates to the nba.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,765

Post#46 » by Jadoogar » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:05 pm

If ever Bruno was going to get some minutes, this is it. He has the opportunity to be backup PF, his only competition is Siakam who is just as raw (well maybe a bit more polished). If there is an injury to Norm or Miles, he could get significant minutes at backup SF. If he can't get into the rotation this year, it's never going to happen.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#47 » by Too Late Crew » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:52 am

Jadoogar wrote:If ever Bruno was going to get some minutes, this is it. He has the opportunity to be backup PF, his only competition is Siakam who is just as raw (well maybe a bit more polished). If there is an injury to Norm or Miles, he could get significant minutes at backup SF. If he can't get into the rotation this year, it's never going to happen.

There is no comparison between Bruno and Siakam.

Siakam has been playing high level US basketball since age 16. He averaged 20 ppg and 11 rpg at a high level Div 1 school. He knows how to play basketball. One of his biggest positives is his motor and aggressiveness. That's basically the opposite of Bruno.

Ibaka,Siakam Potel should eat up basically all the PF minutes.

There is actually more opportunities at Sf as only Miles is a true SF. Norm is an undersized (but strong SG) who will be pressed into Sf minutes . However there is a very good chance that if the team has Bruno playing any major Sf minutes we will suck badley.

I think you'll see Casey use lots of 3 guard lineups rather than play Bruno any extended minutes at the 3.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#48 » by Rapsalot » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:08 am

JP 12 mins, 4 points 4 boards
PS breakout year as energy big off bench but shooting will be streaky and frustrating
DW gone from top backup in NBA to JAG and pray he stays healthy.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#49 » by dalton749 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:15 am

If I had to guess their stats

Wright: 9/3.5/4/1/.5
Siakam: 7/4.5/1/1/1
Poeltl: 6/6/1/.5/1
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#50 » by CoachD » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:33 am

Jadoogar wrote:If ever Bruno was going to get some minutes, this is it. He has the opportunity to be backup PF, his only competition is Siakam who is just as raw (well maybe a bit more polished). If there is an injury to Norm or Miles, he could get significant minutes at backup SF. If he can't get into the rotation this year, it's never going to happen.

If you believe Stackhouse, then Siakam is the best defensive big in Toronto and can guard 2-5.
tdot56
Analyst
And1: 3,080

Post#51 » by tdot56 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:15 pm

With the Trash Bros gone, actually excited to see all the young players... expect improvement from all....

Return to Toronto Raptors