ImageImageImageImageImage

Do you guys hate this team?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,947

Re: Do you guys hate this team? 

Post#121 » by refshateRaps » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:I like this team. I hate the lack of competition in the league. Barring a superstar injury there is little point playing the regular season and 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs anymore. The lack of NBA parity is what makes it easy to have no faith

This is what it boils down too IMO.

People's definition of what constitutes a treadmill has become comical; this group has no practical path forward to break the 'treadmill'.

Even if your franchise gets lucky and lands a near-generational talent (eg. Giannis or Anthony Davis), you need about a dozen other things to go right to end up a "super team". We'll see where the Bucks and Pelicans are 3-4 years from now.

Exactly. Even Cleveland landing the BEST player on the planet couldn't win a title. He needed to flee and join 3 other Allstars and an all pro defender to get that done. Tanking isnt going to cut it.

Not to mention we have a storied history of our top draft picks fleeing early to midway thru their career for multiple reasons and posters think we can build multiple all stars around a Superstar if we were so lucky? We should really embrace whats going on here and the fact we have such talented players on this roster. Its unfortunately as good as it gets in this Lebron era of team stacking in the NBA
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#122 » by John Murdoch » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Jef wrote:I and1'd the OP, but Team Negative can stay for two reasons:

1. They make me feel like my positive attitude is the right one, so I feel superior to them, and I like that.
2. They provide conflict. And any story - or forum - without conflict... is boring.

HATERS ARE WELCOME. Not in my life, but on a faceless board - why not?

I mean - the poster who said "No but I hate you"????? ...... You gotta feel like you're better than that guy, right? Good feeling.

:lol:
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#123 » by CoachJReturns » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:
CoachJReturns wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:
Did you see Derozan dunk on Gobert? Lowry hit the game winner against Bogdan? Spurs don't have incredible moments like that...

Seriously? Have you ever watched the Spurs play? Lol. Forget about all the winning over the years, including the last title just a few years ago. They Kawhi who is an absolute basketball monster. He's the best 2 way player in the entire league.
I've seen the Spurs brought up repeatedly in one context or another in this thread and it really needs to stop. They're the best run franchise in ALL OF PRO SPORTS for the past 20 years! Nobody is in their league in terms of longevity of success, loyal core players, elite coaching, elite MVP caliber talent at the top. They've had these things for 20 freaking years. We have been a good team with nothing elite for like 4 seasons.

The Raptors are not the Spurs. They are the new Hawks, or maybe Grizzlies. That's not even bad depending on how you look at it. Let's just try to keep some sense of perspective when talking about where this team has been, where it is and where it's heading. It's basically hit a plateau and a good one at that, if not a great one.

Respectfully disagree with everything you said, sir. We are much closer to the Spurs/Lakers early 2000's dynasty if anything.

No green font? Please enlighten us all. This is your chance to make many a mind blow.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#124 » by Joker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:25 pm

3 of our 5 starters are offensively mechanical. They have an intention of how they're going to score regardless of what passing options may unfold as they have the ball, or regardless of how difficult their shot ends up being. It's predictable, selfish, low-iq basketball, and is a joke to game plan against come playoff time.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,264

Post#125 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:07 pm

ruckus wrote:
I'm talking about the infrastructure. The backbone behind everything. You can have the greatest player in the world, a la Cleveland, but all your flaws are laid bare once that player leaves and you see the problems with coaching, scouting, ownership, front office, etc.

Definitely, the Spurs got a running headstart because of Duncan and before him, Robinson but, it was their solid infrastructure that enabled them to draft Parker, Ginobili and then later on, trade Hill for Leonard. They could have easily gone the Cleveland route and surrounded Duncan with win now vets but, instead, they made smart moves that made the most out of the Duncan era and created a situation where they could transition from Duncan to Leonard.

Sorry but any way you slice it doesn't make us comparible to the Spurs.

The reality is they have a MUCH better coach and GM than nearly any team in the league. Not to mention they have built around SUPERSTARS which is the ONLY reason it works. 2 of whom were drafted #1 OVERALL (in Duncan and Robinson) and the other HOF gems have nothing to do with a "solid infrastructure" but in reality excellent scouting (and some luck when it comes to #1 overall picks).

Also it wasn't that they didn't surround Duncan with "win-now" vets, in fact that's exactly what they did and do lol from Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen, Boris Diaw with Duncan etc and now Gasol, David Lee for Kawhi...Bufford is just the GOAT drafter because again he found both Manu and Parker LATE in the draft as he did Kawhi. It wasn't some "master planning" that he won't get vets, the Spurs have always been loaded with them unless you forget people constantly calling them OLD lol

The reality is unlike your example of CLE, the Spurs are/were fortunate enough to bring in their next superstar/MVP level talent while the next one is on his way out Robinson -> Duncan -> Kawhi. CLE the first time around ONLY had LeBron and now have Kyrie but he's a diva (Kawhi and Duncan exact opposite) that refuses to transition to his era. Not to mention doesn't have guys like Parker or Manu to help transition and work with either player.

Take away any of those 3 (Robinson, Duncan or Kawhi) and the Spurs aren't even remotely the same franchise and then yes very much on par with what we are. I could see us being similar if the Spurs were just led by Parker and Manu over the same time period that they would have a similar level success as us and would be NOWHERE NEAR as respected as they are now and also highly unlikely that they would have just rode it out on the backs of those two as we are KL and DD. All this being said we also don't have a coach that's even in the same stratosphere as Pops so there's really no grounds for the comparison.

What we've done is so much more like the Clippers which is brought in a "championship coach" and ride with a flawed core that has reached it's peak as a 50+W team but not a true contender....as the Spurs are each and every year.

Toronto Raptors = LA Clippers of the East with less scrutiny
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Tokey41
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#126 » by Tokey41 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:20 pm

I don't hate the Raptors, but its completely normal not to like everything about your team. I'd be more worried about people who actively root for this team to fail in its endeavors. It's that type of fan (if there are any) that would need to get off of this board.
dublo7
Pro Prospect
And1: 436

Re: RE: Re: Do you guys hate this team? 

Post#127 » by dublo7 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:45 pm

VC720 wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:
McGregFan wrote:

What exactly do you want? The league is a bottomless pit for 28/30 teams right now. GS isn't going anywhere and unless something miraculous happens they aren't slowing down anytime soon with a prime kd/steph/draymond. The league as a whole is in a terrible place right now. Yes next season might be a deja vu for us but it's going to be a deja vu for everyone else too.

I'm not even talking about winning wins and losses deju vu I'm talking about aesthicaĺly

I could care less about tredmilling but this team style of play under Dwayne Casey is Damn ugly and boring. I rather 06-07 all day and any day over this crap iso baĺl team. That team was exciting to watch

Ain't no culture change

This team would destroy that 07 team 9 out of 10 times.
Oooh. We need a Demar 2011vs Demar 2017 vid.
But seriously yeah raps 2017 demolishes that 2007 raps team.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Free advice is seldom cheap. ROA#59
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Do you guys hate this team? 

Post#128 » by Double Helix » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:48 pm

jonny three time wrote:The board is probably hedging too far towards negative/cynical considering the run the Raptors have been on and that we've retained the main core responsible for it. However, here are some facts about this team that are incredibly difficult to argue...

Okay. I'll have a stab at this.

- we dumped talent and assets simply to remain under the luxury tax, we have less talent now, then at the end of last year

While the quantity and depth of talent has decreased... the degree to which the quality of minutes played in games will be impacted (if worse at all) by the young players backfilling for Patterson, Cojo and the two months of Tucker is still very much debatable.

We didn't start last year with Ibaka who, following a full training camp and better implementation with our team, may end up being a better overall talent for the group that remains than any of the 3 who left individually.

It's also possible that an improved Norman Powell and CJ Miles of last year, along with OJ Anunoby minutes near Christmas, may combine for more quality minutes at SF over the course of the full year than what Carroll, Norm off the bench last year and later Tucker provided as a trio. Why? Norm is better as a starter and he'll be older and better as a player. CJ Miles is probably a better bench SF for us and our needs than Carroll was. Anunoby was a freak defender in college. In a highly specialized role to begin with he may bring some of what Tucker brought anyway with fresher legs. I won't be surprised at all if Delon Wright is a story for us and surpasses Cory's impact on both ends.

- we have virtually zero chance at the championship

Does anybody but the Warriors really? Did anybody but the Bulls at the peak of Jordan? Would anyone have stopped Kobe and Shaq during their reign if they hadn't self destructed Kyrie/Lebron style over chemistry issues and let Detroit sneak in there with less talent and beat them? Go back almost any year the past 20 and there was probably only 2 teams who really had a legit shot at the title and it was ultimately one of those 2 teams favored pre-season that won it all in all but a couple cases (Dallas being a notable exception). Every other team probably had a 7% or less chance. Welcome to the NBA. Have all of the other fans in 28 other arenas been wasting their time the past 20 years for watching their teams play basketball and try to go as far as they can before facing one of those two top teams? This isn't unique to us or this era but the Cavs and Warriors feature multiple MVPs and may have had the talent to beat some of those previous champions over 7 games. This era is incredibly hard.

- outside commentators and fans alike almost universally agree that we play a boring style of offense

Many of us don't find it boring. Who cares what outsiders think? Are we so insecure that we can't enjoy basketball that they consider to be too one on one (even when it isn't and is more pick and roll driven)? There's something enjoyable about watching defences know what's coming and still struggling to stop it and the results offensively speak for themselves. This team has delivered offensively the past 2 seasons and been more efficient than many of the flashier offences more predicated on ball movement.

As another poster shared we need to do a better job of defending the 3. That's even a higher priority than our offence.

- our best players struggle in the playoffs

No disagreement here but part of that has been poorly timed injuries and Derozan has shown signs of improvement the past 2 years from the Miami series through the Bucks series prior to losing Lowry and being more aggressively doubled against the Cavs.

- our core is older and have no real upside left, they've likely peaked as a team

Boston's big 3 is the same or older than us and their youngest and most promising talents may still be a season or two away from busting out given the time shares they are in. Washington is slightly younger based on Beal and Porter. Charlotte's big 3 is around the same age as us. Miami's are too. The risers in the East are still too young to make serious top 4 noise and we don't have to worry about anyone in the west but one of the greatest teams of all time if we face them in the Finals. Which... even if it happened would still be thrilling in a David vs Goliath sort of way. We'd get beat but I'd like to see how we looked regardless and see how hard we could fight. It would be a part of history. Even casuals remember most finals matchups of the past.

- we know exactly what each game will look like, there's nothing "new"

I disagree. A lineup of a healthy Lowry, Derozan, Powell, Ibaka and Valanciunas has rarely been seen together as a group. That's new in and of itself. Norm is a huge X factor. What if Delon Wright, Siakam or Poeltl or OG Anunoby surprise considerably?

A healthy Lowry for 70 games and Ibaka there alongside him and some nice surprises from the prospects and this team exceeds its win total next year and possibly seeds higher, avoiding a matchup with the Cavs until the ECF. If the Cavs flub this Kyrie Irving trade and get somebody like Josh Jackson they are much worse overall. Their 3s killed us.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,760

Post#129 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:10 am

It's been five years, but maybe its time this rule gets enforced again.

viewtopic.php?p=30591288#p30591288
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,744

Post#130 » by metafisical » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:16 am

I hate all our starters. Love the 2nd unit.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
TackyRapsFan
Veteran
And1: 2,374

Post#131 » by TackyRapsFan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:24 am

Joker wrote:3 of our 5 starters are offensively mechanical. They have an intention of how they're going to score regardless of what passing options may unfold as they have the ball, or regardless of how difficult their shot ends up being. It's predictable, selfish, low-iq basketball, and is a joke to game plan against come playoff time.

Shut up!
You're only saying that because you hate life!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#132 » by Anatomize » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:33 am

No reason to hate the team, but legitimate reasons to be concerned with overall talent, young players ceilings, court spacing issues, and bench depth.
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,229

Post#133 » by Childs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:31 am

This team won't win a championship, but it's been the most successful it has been in years. No point in getting upset and angry over it. And when the 3 years are up, we just have to rebuild all over again. So goes life.

Johnny Bball wrote:It's been five years, but maybe its time this rule gets enforced again.

I concur.
BBallInSight
Sixth Man
And1: 1,337

Post#134 » by BBallInSight » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:04 am

WTNRaps wrote:It's the little things that get to me. The annoying treadmill responses in the media, getting swept 2x in 3 years, fake culture reset, Casey not having a clue, players choking in the playoffs, etc.

It's just like having a gf. You love her but little things get to you, and even if there's more hotties out there, you gotta stay loyal.

Even if you're dating a girl with golden states, it's hard.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,388

Post#135 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:05 am

I hate treadmilling.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#136 » by Volcano » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:05 am

everyone's a hater..Hedo, Bargnani, Carroll, Fields, Kapono, Gay, Solomon, Hoffa, Joey Graham, Kleiza, Michael Bradley, Palacio were all a part of the Raptors

There isn't a single person who has supported every player that's suited for the Raps. Some fans spin a positive light until these guys are traded and immediately turn on them.

Johnny Bball wrote:It's been five years, but maybe its time this rule gets enforced again.

then where would u post all the anti-JV content?
DonMega
General Manager
And1: 8,689

Post#137 » by DonMega » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:07 am

yes.
Hackett
Senior
And1: 672

Post#138 » by Hackett » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:20 am

its realgm... very low bball IQ, saddly it will never change because whinning over a 50 win program reads better than praising it.

You are dealing with teenage posters raised on cheat codes for their favourite video game. The entitled genaration. Casey is hated because he gets the most with what we have. These people would rather see the team fail misserably than not win the championship.

Its beyond absurd.

As a season ticket holder who spends 52K a year on seats, I prefer a winning basketball team rather than taking a 3% chance that we magically ping pong to a championship team. 3% is incredibly generous, it might be as low as 0.3%.

Most of the posters on here dont even pay for watching rights, they just iptv it or some other questionable stream.

Best thing that has ever happened to Toronto Basketball is Casey and Masai. If you like Toronto Basketball stay away from the dummies on this forum.

They chased everything good away, one day they will chase away our coach and GM and we will be stuck with a crappy team for a decade while they go on to diffrent forums, or change aliases.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#139 » by RaptorsNorth » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:22 am

How can I hate this team if I've never seen the team play a game yet. For all we know some of these guys improved on their faults in the offseason. Pascal and jak already looks improved, you know demar will improve on something like he always does, delon also improved from his rookie year and so maybe he added something to his, norm might have improved, CJ miles might finally add some 3 point shooting, JV might finally become Tim Duncan 2.0 sike!!! That will happen hahahaha but maybe he improved on something in the offseason. Now do I hate Casey's coaching style ? Does a bear s... In the woods ?
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#140 » by RaptorsNorth » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:41 am

Hackett wrote:its realgm... very low bball IQ, saddly it will never change because whinning over a 50 win program reads better than praising it.

You are dealing with teenage posters raised on cheat codes for their favourite video game. The entitled genaration. Casey is hated because he gets the most with what we have. These people would rather see the team fail misserably than not win the championship.

Its beyond absurd.

As a season ticket holder who spends 52K a year on seats, I prefer a winning basketball team rather than taking a 3% chance that we magically ping pong to a championship team. 3% is incredibly generous, it might be as low as 0.3%.

Most of the posters on here dont even pay for watching rights, they just iptv it or some other questionable stream.

Best thing that has ever happened to Toronto Basketball is Casey and Masai. If you like Toronto Basketball stay away from the dummies on this forum.

They chased everything good away, one day they will chase away our coach and GM and we will be stuck with a crappy team for a decade while they go on to diffrent forums, or change aliases.
you hit the nail on the head. I dislike Casey's coaching style but a lot of the Casey's hate comes from JV supporters (especially the ones from his country) that have dreams of him being the first opinion on this team and that's why they also hate on demar. To them demar is in the position JV should be in that's why some of these guys are so negative about everything. They won't stop being negative until casey and demar are both gone. I remember reading a few posts on here where some guys were saying they wouldn't mind this team losing games just to force feed JV the ball. The moment JV is traded and his supporters go with him you'll see a lot of the casey and demar hate die out on here. As for now these guys are hoping we fail so casey gets fired, demar and lowry gets traded, and this team rebuilds with young players where JV would some how be a big part of the offence. Until then they will hate on who ever we sign. Guys like serge and CJ Miles because that only means we're not rebuilding. If you actually look at the the posters on here that hate on casey, demar and serge you'll notice it's the same posters that always defend JV. The serge hate stems from the fact he's the reason JV's minutes got cut even more. Remember JV is coming from a country where basketball is the number 1 sport. He's bringing a lot of fans with him and if things are not going the way they want it to go then their negativity will show because it's a lot of them. He has a bigger following on here than brags ever did. The moment he's traded his fan base will destroy this organization. Can't wait to see the reports that will come from his country. Remember they already blamed lowry and this organization for his lack of development.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors