ImageImageImageImageImage

F SI #ProveEm

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Re: F SI #ProveEm 

Post#141 » by Chevy Chase » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:11 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:It's all about defense. Demar has to start playing defense if he wants to be ranked higher.

Zero defence and inefficient offence will get you disrespected.

If he just played average defence, he'd be a MUCH more valuable player.

I'd go with the corollary. If he just improved the efficiency of his offence, he'd be a MUCH more valuable player.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#142 » by Kevin Willis » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Tacoma wrote:Interesting that people here are arguing DD should be ranked higher due to perceived lesser players ranked ahead of him (like Middleton) but don't bother to mention possible players ranked behind DD that may arguably be better. For example, Isaiah Thomas had a higher scoring average than DD (important since scoring is about all DD does), AND Thomas also led his team to 1st in the East and ECF. DD isn't even the leader of his own team (Lowry is) that had a worse regular season and playoff record.

At the end of the day with all the pluses and minuses, and without the benefit of Raptors fanboy glasses, I think a ranking in the mid 30's is fair and reasonable for the player that DD is.

You make a good point, there are some players that are below DD that could be considered higher. IT though has less elite skills than DD. IT is below Wall, Irving and right in the mix with Lowry, Walker for best PG in the East. DD is the best with maybe Beal being close. Overall DD is below Thompson but who else for the league since Harden is now a PG? Maybe Hayward now. IT was Boston's offense so he had to put up those numbers. DD is a part of an offense with Lowry. DD is a better finisher. Mid-range games are close. He can post up his man. He gets to the line more. I don't think IT fans are mad that DD is higher than him in the ranking compared to Middleton and Crowder.

I will never understand the hate for one of the best Raptor players to play in the game and one of the top 5 SGs in the league. He carried this team for a stretch of games when Lowry was hurt or playing crappy with words like "unstoppable" being thrown around by coaches and commentators. And if anyone says Danny Green is better - GTFO. I know someone wants to say it.,.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Pet Poeltl
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,148

SI ranks DD 14th best player in East. What is your list? 

Post#143 » by Pet Poeltl » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Their rankings go as follows: (Eastern Conference players in the top 40)

1- James
9- Giannis
13- Wall
16- Hayward
19- Lowry
21- Irving
26- Love
29- Walker
30- Horford
32- Beal
33- Porzingis
34- Whiteside
35- Middleton
36- DeRozan
37- Carmelo
40- Thomas

Demar is 14th best and Kyle is 5th. Do you agree or disagree with these rankings? What would your list be?
TDotFlight99
Ballboy
And1: 68

Re: SI ranks DD 14th best player in East. What is your list? 

Post#144 » by TDotFlight99 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:03 pm

F SI
Roco14
Sixth Man
And1: 3,551

Post#145 » by Roco14 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Why do we give af about these stupid lists? We shouldn't even acknowledge them.. Don't give attention to ignorant people saying Middleton and Jae Crowder are more valuable players than Derozan
JustWin wrote:Masai when asked about the teams problems and if he plans on making a move:

"Uhhh, dis a tuff one guiys.. hehe"
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,407

Post#146 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:22 pm

Chevy Chase wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:It's all about defense. Demar has to start playing defense if he wants to be ranked higher.

I'd go with the corollary. If he just improved the efficiency of his offence, he'd be a MUCH more valuable player.

Either improvement would make him a more valuable player. I mentioned defence because that's what the poster I quoted brought up. Defence is also a lot easier to improve since it's more effort than skill.
Charlie Sollers
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,829

Post#147 » by Charlie Sollers » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Roco14 wrote:Why do we give af about these stupid lists? We shouldn't even acknowledge them.. Don't give attention to ignorant people saying Middleton and Jae Crowder are more valuable players than Derozan

If they ranked Demar as a top 15 player this board would be going crazy :lol:
souljah006
Junior
And1: 100

Post#148 » by souljah006 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:14 pm

I think Masai pays SI to do this...player motivation 101
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#149 » by Saciid11 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:43 pm

That is BS ... Demar has way more impact on winning then most of those guys ranked ahead of him. Come on noway is LMA, Hayward, hortfort,Middleton, even Kyrie better then Demar.
zFoxHoUnD-x
Junior
And1: 233

Re: RE: Re: F SI #ProveEm 

Post#150 » by zFoxHoUnD-x » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:25 am

Kevin Willis wrote:
Tacoma wrote:Interesting that people here are arguing DD should be ranked higher due to perceived lesser players ranked ahead of him (like Middleton) but don't bother to mention possible players ranked behind DD that may arguably be better. For example, Isaiah Thomas had a higher scoring average than DD (important since scoring is about all DD does), AND Thomas also led his team to 1st in the East and ECF. DD isn't even the leader of his own team (Lowry is) that had a worse regular season and playoff record.

At the end of the day with all the pluses and minuses, and without the benefit of Raptors fanboy glasses, I think a ranking in the mid 30's is fair and reasonable for the player that DD is.

You make a good point, there are some players that are below DD that could be considered higher. IT though has less elite skills than DD. IT is below Wall, Irving and right in the mix with Lowry, Walker for best PG in the East. DD is the best with maybe Beal being close. Overall DD is below Thompson but who else for the league since Harden is now a PG? Maybe Hayward now. IT was Boston's offense so he had to put up those numbers. DD is a part of an offense with Lowry. DD is a better finisher. Mid-range games are close. He can post up his man. He gets to the line more. I don't think IT fans are mad that DD is higher than him in the ranking compared to Middleton and Crowder.

I will never understand the hate for one of the best Raptor players to play in the game and one of the top 5 SGs in the league. He carried this team for a stretch of games when Lowry was hurt or playing crappy with words like "unstoppable" being thrown around by coaches and commentators. And if anyone says Danny Green is better - GTFO. I know someone wants to say it.,.

It's not hate at all (from my perspective anyway), it's disappointment at his lack of effort on the defensive end.

The way he plays defense is that of someone who simply doesn't care. The impression his body language gives off is "hey, I carry a big load on offense so when my guy drives on me, I'll give an ole swipe to make it look like I tried."

Seriously, why did he suddenly play defense for a few possessions after PJ got on his case? Obviously he is capable of playing better defense by simply trying harder and making it a priority. The really disappointing thing is that he chooses not to.

Why? Is he too tired from offense? If so he needs to work on his conditioning. But personally, I belive he just doesn't care enough to play defense.

Hell, I'll even be happy with a Bartesque "I can't promise I'll try, but I'll try to try."

C'mon Demar, play some damn D!

Sent from my C6506 using RealGM mobile app
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#151 » by Kabookalu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:54 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Chevy Chase wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Either improvement would make him a more valuable player. I mentioned defence because that's what the poster I quoted brought up. Defence is also a lot easier to improve since it's more effort than skill.

While true, I have my doubts of how much more DeMar can improve with more effort. At the combine his foot speed and lateral quickness results were amongst the slowest in his class comparable to power forwards. To be honest I don't think he's dogging it as much as people think he is on defense. Often times he is where he needs to be, just not as fast as he should be (and it can be argued that it's because of a lack of effort he's not there as fast as he should be, I really don't know, though with his physical limitations I wouldn't doubt it's because he can't either). Where I wished he showed a lot more effort is in not giving up on the play when he gets blown by on a closeout.

Even in this clip of his bad defense he shows sound positional defense, right before he gets blown by.

Just to add a lot of people will see this as poor help defense since he should have been with his man to prevent a situation where he's closing out and getting blown by in the first place, but he's also covering for the corner man since Patterson's a bit late in recovering; if DeRozan committed to fully guarding his man it'd leave the baseline wide open. It's nothing to praise him about, just simple basketball 101 stuff, though I know people are going to watch this clip and scrutinize him for it.

Also I do wish he fought through screens better. Most of the time he just kind of dies on the screen and already has his mind made to switch.
Read on Twitter
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,936

Post#152 » by Potential » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:55 pm

DeMar will average 30/6/5 on 46/33/85

Return to Toronto Raptors