ImageImageImageImageImage

Dwane Casey is a Good Coach

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Dwane Casey is a Good Coach 

Post#1 » by ruckus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:25 pm

At least according to Blake Murphy:

2017-18 Coach Preview: Dwane Casey

Casey is, for all intents and purposes, a good coach. It would be difficult to help lead a team of misfit outcasts of seemingly ill fit, on the fly, to unexpected success, and then to maintain it for seasons on end, if one were not a good coach. It would be difficult to help rebuild the entire identity of and culture around it, with buy in from a pair of stars, one of whom can skew prickly, if one were not at least a decent leader of men. It would be difficult to coerce long-term commitment from a patient yet pragmatic team president who did not make the hire himself and who has shown no hesitance in moving swiftly to improve on holdovers or mistakes of his own doing, if one were not a measured, consistent, and effective presence behind a bench.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,954

Re: Dwane Casey is a Good Coach 

Post#2 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:45 pm

ruckus wrote:At least according to Blake Murphy:

2017-18 Coach Preview: Dwane Casey

Casey is, for all intents and purposes, a good coach. It would be difficult to help lead a team of misfit outcasts of seemingly ill fit, on the fly, to unexpected success, and then to maintain it for seasons on end, if one were not a good coach. It would be difficult to help rebuild the entire identity of and culture around it, with buy in from a pair of stars, one of whom can skew prickly, if one were not at least a decent leader of men. It would be difficult to coerce long-term commitment from a patient yet pragmatic team president who did not make the hire himself and who has shown no hesitance in moving swiftly to improve on holdovers or mistakes of his own doing, if one were not a measured, consistent, and effective presence behind a bench.

I agree with most of the review, but this^. Ujiri has yet to fire a head coach and hasn't really made any big decisions that suggest he'll correct mistakes or improve on holdovers. His one big trade in Denver was at Melo's threat, his one big trade in Toronto just happened to coincide with both star players suggesting something had to change after the season was going down the tubes. His one big correction was to save himself a tax bill that would irk ownership, and it cost the team next year's draft and possibly a few Ws this year, too. I think it says more about Ujiri's reluctance to rock the boat than Casey's capabilities as a steward of the team.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,829

Post#3 » by Duffman100 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:45 pm

He is a good coach. At times a great coach, at times a meh coach. But the best damn coach the Raptors have ever had.

We've had a lot of breakdowns, slow adjustments, etc which have made me angry.

We've also made a lot (50 win seasons) with the talent that we've had.

When it's all said and done, I'll look back at Casey fondly. Especially given the long line of **** coaches we've had.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#4 » by ruckus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:49 pm

I'll say this for Casey - he adapts. Maybe not as quickly as any of us would like but, he gets there eventually. Most, if not all of the stereotypes that we created about this guy during his first 2 years here have been blown away quite thoroughly.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#5 » by Double Helix » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:57 pm

There’s a lot to coaching that we don’t see and it’s there where I believe Casey is probably in a tier of rarified coaches and it’s in those areas that I think he’s well-respected by players, other coaches and GMs. That’s the kind of stuff that made it hard for him to be fired even when the team seemed dangerously close to backsliding badly.

He’s also incredibly adaptable. Working with Lowry as long as he has was likely not easy and yet they remain together. Coaching Derozan towards becoming the pick and roll master he now is took patience and vision. Sticking by Valanciunas when he was a net negative defensively in the hope of not cratering his value took big picture thinking. Keeping his guys largely out of trouble for 5+ years takes charm and leadership. Not blowing up over ego issues when Masai told him he had some great qualities but needed to evolve with a newer, younger staff of assistant coaches shows resolve and big picture thinking. Adapting to this new offensive style that Masai has requested is admirable too. He’s showing that old dogs can learn new tricks.

Those are just some of the admirable qualities he seems to possess.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,954

Post#6 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:59 pm

ruckus wrote:I'll say this for Casey - he adapts. Maybe not as quickly as any of us would like but, he gets there eventually. Most, if not all of the stereotypes that we created about this guy during his first 2 years here have been blown away quite thoroughly.

Yeah, he's a survivor. I keep going back to the story about how he leaped over BC's head in that final year and buddied up with ownership. He also had his #1 assistant fired when it typically would have been his responsibility. As I mentioned, I think some of this might be tied into Ujiri's own insecurities, but Casey deserves credit for building relationships that have kept him around and, obviously, winning more than losing the last few years.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#7 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:01 pm

ruckus wrote:I'll say this for Casey - he adapts. Maybe not as quickly as any of us would like but, he gets there eventually. Most, if not all of the stereotypes that we created about this guy during his first 2 years here have been blown away quite thoroughly.

See sig. But yes, we're counterpunchers. I guess it's hard to put your stamp on a series when you don't have a transcendent star - and it's so easy to game plan your two all-stars.

This whole Game 1 thing (almost invariably at home) is more than annoying. Playoff games are important, and it's important to put weaker opponents away early.
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#8 » by alienchild » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:01 pm

Casey is not a good coach and Blake Murphy isn't a good writer.
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#9 » by Rapcity_11 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:08 pm

alienchild wrote:Casey is not a good coach and Blake Murphy isn't a good writer.

Casey might be average more than good, but Blake is definitely a good writer.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,272

Post#10 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:10 pm

>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,782

Post#11 » by Zeno » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:23 pm

People don't like our talent. They think the coach sucks too. And then we win 50 games again and again.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
BBallG
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,749

Post#12 » by BBallG » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:27 pm

A good coach would've recognized how good James Johnson is(just like we all did) and would have made it work. He's average IMO, but it's hard to gauge without giving someone else a chance with this core.
Ramako
Head Coach
And1: 1,130

Post#13 » by Ramako » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:02 pm

When the day comes that Casey is inevitably let go, another team will snap him up quickly. This is a guy that's an established coach with a good track record. He'll be an NBA coach for a long time, which sadly is something you couldn't say about any other coach we've fired, except for Lenny who was over the hill by the time we got him.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#14 » by LLJ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:02 pm

He's a good regular season coach. Maybe even great. I'm meh on him in the playoffs though.
neurotik
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,864

Post#15 » by neurotik » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:04 pm

The problem with saying good is it's so vague. Of course he's good. But like rank him out of 10, or give him a % out of 100 ala rotten tomatoes (u can call it rotten pineapples).

I give him a 75% for the regular season, 65% for the playoffs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using RealGM mobile app
(1 of 10)
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#16 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:13 pm

LLJ wrote:He's a good regular season coach. Maybe even great. I'm meh on him in the playoffs though.

I actually think he's a good coach in the playoffs when it comes to next game adjustments. This team always **** the bed in the first game, Casey makes some changes and it helps. He also isn't afraid to tinker with the lineups in the playoffs to put the team in the best position to win. I like the fact he isn't stubborn with his philosophies. Even when you look at the team this year, he changed the entire offense because of the 3 point culture shift.
Yeezy SZN approaching
Tokey41
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#17 » by Tokey41 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:53 pm

I suppose the point about him adapting is technically true. I mean it only took him how many years to figure out that shooting 3's and passing the ball are important - but dammit, he got there! And if we're being totally honest here, can anyone recall any noteworthy adjustments Casey has made during the postseason that would indicate he is a "good coach"? It certainly didn't feel like any adjustments were made against the Cavs. This to me says that he is more stubborn than adaptable.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#18 » by RaptorsLife » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Agreed
Raptors til death
The Big O 44
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#19 » by The Big O 44 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:03 pm

he's good enough to lead teams to 50 wins and then lose in the playoffs. he's not championship material.
Peja Stojakovic
Starter
And1: 2,939

Post#20 » by Peja Stojakovic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:09 pm

mark jackson was a pretty good coach too

as a guy and a leader of men though casey is beyond reproach, unlike mark jackson

but to get better than a second round out toronto either needs to get lucky and find elite talent or be proactive and get elite coaching

Return to Toronto Raptors