ImageImageImageImageImage

jonas valanciunas looks amazing

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

scopy
General Manager
And1: 16,421

Re: jonas valanciunas looks amazing 

Post#81 » by scopy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:23 pm

cruwinas wrote:
wtcantfw wrote:It was annoying when Jack said if JV plays like this for 3 quarters, it would force Casey to play him in the 4th. Uhhh, earth to Jack, there were at least a handful of times last year that JV beasted in the 1st half and got absolutely zero PT in the 4th quarter. I expect this to continue once Casey reverts back to his old ways after 10 games.

Maybe, just very little maybe... JV was finishing last game, and Casey wanted to show that this time he will do what he says??? Years ago in the first half against Pistons and Drummond (remember how everyone here were salivating about him and how good raptors would be but instead were stuffed with the turtle?) JV went 10/11 in the first half - but almost no touches in the second? Because "All Stars" DD and KL had to get theirs?

Now, suddenly an idea struck. If that's true - I would eat all the crap I said about Casey. IS IT POSSIBLE, THAT CASEY ALLOWED DD AND KL TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANTED FOR THE PURPOSE OF LOCKING THEM INTO A CONTRACT WITH RAPTORS??? AND THIS SEASON HE WILL REIGN THEM IN TO PLAY WHAT IS BETTER FOR THE TEAM AND NOT THEIR PAYCHECK??? IF THAT'S TRUE - IT'S A MOVE OF A GRANDMASTER. WE'LL SEE. IF DD AND KL WILL RERESET THE CULTURE AND DO THEIR USUAL 50 FGA PER GAME ON A 40% SHOOTING - ONE CAN ONLY DREAM...

Well there is some truth in there. DD and KLOW got their massive contracts and now their families are set for life. They now can provide more focus on the greater good. If they get compensated for All Star Game appearances, then that might detract from this focus.
Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,795

Post#82 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:30 pm

scopy wrote:
cruwinas wrote:
wtcantfw wrote:It was annoying when Jack said if JV plays like this for 3 quarters, it would force Casey to play him in the 4th. Uhhh, earth to Jack, there were at least a handful of times last year that JV beasted in the 1st half and got absolutely zero PT in the 4th quarter. I expect this to continue once Casey reverts back to his old ways after 10 games.

Maybe, just very little maybe... JV was finishing last game, and Casey wanted to show that this time he will do what he says??? Years ago in the first half against Pistons and Drummond (remember how everyone here were salivating about him and how good raptors would be but instead were stuffed with the turtle?) JV went 10/11 in the first half - but almost no touches in the second? Because "All Stars" DD and KL had to get theirs?

Now, suddenly an idea struck. If that's true - I would eat all the crap I said about Casey. IS IT POSSIBLE, THAT CASEY ALLOWED DD AND KL TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANTED FOR THE PURPOSE OF LOCKING THEM INTO A CONTRACT WITH RAPTORS??? AND THIS SEASON HE WILL REIGN THEM IN TO PLAY WHAT IS BETTER FOR THE TEAM AND NOT THEIR PAYCHECK??? IF THAT'S TRUE - IT'S A MOVE OF A GRANDMASTER. WE'LL SEE. IF DD AND KL WILL RERESET THE CULTURE AND DO THEIR USUAL 50 FGA PER GAME ON A 40% SHOOTING - ONE CAN ONLY DREAM...

Well there is some truth in there. DD and KLOW got their massive contracts and now their families are set for life. They now can provide more focus on the greater good. If they get compensated for All Star Game appearances, then that might detract from this focus.

There is zero truth to that and it's nothing more than conspiracy theory.

There is going to be a whole bunch of revisionism this year from people that made excuses for his conditioning, the work he put in and blaming everything on Casey.
scopy
General Manager
And1: 16,421

Post#83 » by scopy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
scopy wrote:
cruwinas wrote:

There is going to be a whole bunch of revisionism this year from people that made excuses for his conditioning, the work he put in and blaming everything on Casey.

Sorry my comment was about the mindset of KLOW and DD, nothing about JV.
Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#84 » by cruwinas » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:There is zero truth to that and it's nothing more than conspiracy theory.

You know nothing about the game of basketball and the business of basketball. You have no clue what kind of games are being played behind the closed doors. I just wonder, why do you post here at all? Play NBA on your game console and live in your fantasy world.

You're close to the line, let's keep it civil -- Duff
:crazy:
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#85 » by Tanner » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:24 pm

DeRozan was on NBA TV many years ago and when asked about Casey said something like "he lets us do whatever we want on offence as long as we play defence". That quote has always stuck with me watching the Raptors play the last couple of years because you can see just how true that statement was by the way DD and to a lesser extend Lowry play. There is never any real ball movement or play calling. Whether that changes this year remains to be seen. I don't think JV should be a primary post player, but a little variety in his game (post ups, facilitating at the top of the key, hitting open jumpers) can make him a weapon as long as the others can find him.

My main concern with JV has always been team defence. If he can reign that part of his game in, then he'll be fine.
ReggieSlater
Starter
And1: 873

Post#86 » by ReggieSlater » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Tanner wrote:DeRozan was on NBA TV many years ago and when asked about Casey said something like "he lets us do whatever we want on offence as long as we play defence". That quote has always stuck with me watching the Raptors play the last couple of years because you can see just how true that statement was by the way DD and to a lesser extend Lowry play. There is never any real ball movement or play calling.

That is simply a gross exaggeration of the truth. The team obviously runs plays. Feel free to believe what you want though.

On to the topic of JV. Is his stat line really all that relevant to his efficiency with the team? We already knew he was a good offensive player and a capable scorer when left on the floor. He's probably one of the most polished low post scorers in the league. That doesn't change the criticism that he's not a great PnR defender (traditionally) and has trouble guarding smaller lineups. If he can do that, this team will have a huge advantage on the boards. If he can't, he won't be able to play and we lose that advantage with Ibaka who doesn't rebound nearly as well. His PPG, FG% or any other offensive stateline don't really change the optics of the teams dilemma.
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#87 » by Saciid11 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Lukeem wrote:
Saciid11 wrote:JV fans never change, the guy has good game against probably worst team in the league this and against below average starting center and they act like he somehow turned his career around. Remember he started last year with 31 points 12 rebound game against pistons ....

serious question - what would it take for you to change your opinion of him

How about half season or season he shows real improvement and shows he can play more then 26 minutes....
verysalt
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,155

Post#88 » by verysalt » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
scopy wrote:
cruwinas wrote:

Are you denying DD and KL were ISO ball hogs?
"Sabonis should sit on Myles' shoulders and they would count as one player" - Dax_Webster
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#89 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:50 pm

I don't know, physically, he looks pretty much the same. He's just playing with greater purpose on both ends of the court.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,491

Post#90 » by Hipster Doofus » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:52 pm

He played fantastic last night, however he had 32 pts and 11 reb in the season opener last year (when everyone is usually all pumped up and excited and fresh).

Then he finished the season at 12 pts and 9 reb., which has been his constant rate of output since 2012.

It'll take at least a month for the "real player" to show up as stats get normalized over that period of time.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#91 » by Saciid11 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:55 pm

cruwinas wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:There is zero truth to that and it's nothing more than conspiracy theory.

You know nothing about the game of basketball and the business of basketball. You have no clue what kind of games are being played behind the closed doors. I just wonder, why do you post here at all? Play NBA on your game console and live in your fantasy world.

Ya you know the game of basketball more then anyone, even Casey who has been around the game for most of his life as player and coach. Buddy you don’t know jack **** about the game, hell you are not even raptor fan... you are just Part of JV cult that is all. One F game .. Even scrubs get that one game they look like they belong in all star game .
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,846

Post#92 » by JShuttlesworth » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:25 pm

dukes_wild wrote:
CDN Uprising wrote:RaptorsLife was one of the biggest JV haters

And he will be again when JV has a bad game.

Seriously. Let's let a few games go by before we make these types of threads. CJ and JV both had 20+, DD and KL both didn't get buckets. I don't expect that to be the case when averages balance out.

Nice game for JV though, he looked pretty good. I'd mostly say our offence looked good, resulting in easy baskets for him. It was also against a trash team.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#93 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:26 pm

scopy wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
scopy wrote:

Sorry my comment was about the mindset of KLOW and DD, nothing about JV.

Nah I got it. Mine was just two separate thoughts is all, and I didn't do separate it right.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#94 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:33 pm

verysalt wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
scopy wrote:

Are you denying DD and KL were ISO ball hogs?

LOL, Lowry is far from an ISO ball hog. Jesus.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#95 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:35 pm

cruwinas wrote:

I'm just used to the world being normal and sane without having to perceive people trying to conspire against each other. So you made up a conspiracy theory, but I don't know anything, because you made it up, with zero proof, but I live in a fantasy world? Ok then! Well there is one thing, I don't have a bias cheering for a guy because he's lithuanian, and I didn't make excuses for him for years, and I'm not going to be the one revising history. I don't have NBA 2k but maybe I'll buy it now.

verysalt wrote:Are you denying DD and KL were ISO ball hogs?

Read it again maybe.

But since you are bring up a new point, I don't' think they were ISO ball hogs, but I don't think some people know what an ISO is.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#96 » by macNcheese3 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:45 pm

he looked real nice out there.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#97 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:23 pm

macNcheese3 wrote:he looked real nice out there.

Agreed
Raptors til death
TackyRapsFan
Veteran
And1: 2,374

Post#98 » by TackyRapsFan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:24 am

Got a good look at him yesterday and he's lean as heck, moving like his old self, decisiveness with the ball is up and he is the key to post-season success.

I've never wavered, I have the utmost faith.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#99 » by JV4MVP » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:17 am

Jack is a shill / company man. Terrible announcer
Buff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,602

Post#100 » by Buff » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:57 am

There will be a lot revisionism, starting with this post.

But don't worry, it is all about touches and we know how quickly those dry up. Then is back to pick and roll and conditioning.

Return to Toronto Raptors