ImageImageImageImageImage

Norm! What Can Be Done?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ThatClockWork
Veteran
And1: 1,856

Re: Norm! What Can Be Done? 

Post#121 » by ThatClockWork » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:46 pm

The Boy wrote:Tunnel vision and plays only at one speed. Terrible combo.

These were his weaknesses coming into the league. He falls back to 'what worked' for him when things get tough. I still think he will adjust/correct this as time goes on.
Barack Obama wrote:You can’t lose heart, or grow cynical if there are twists and turns on your journey. The cynics may be the loudest voices — but I promise you, they will accomplish the least.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#122 » by Double Helix » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:52 pm

His second half was more like what we are used to. It’s not like he’s taken a ton of shots during this slump and the defence has been good to great regardless.

Not everyone in a 5 man lineup is going to score every night and we’ve been getting more offence from our bigs than any of us really anticipated. Perhaps that’s a function of defences not respecting our bigs in order to focus on our perimeter game. At a certain point a team like ours has to take what’s being given and we’ve been doing that from night to night. If he starts making his corner 3s at a nicer clip again it sets up everything else he does. He wasn’t and because of that everything was a second later and more apprehensive. He’s at his best when he’s catching and shooting or attacking a close out in the half court and getting the occasional transition bucket off steals.

He hasn’t had many transition opportunities yet. Guys like Siakam and Delon, among others, are getting those loose balls and running.

It’s still early and he looks healthy. That’s the most important thing. If he looked hurt out there I’d be more worried but defensively the athleticism is readily apparent. He’s not the only guy who’s started this year lower than hoped accross the league. Hopefully we will look back on this stretch in a couple weeks and laugh. That said, if the usage of Ibaka, Poeltl, JV, Miles, OG and Delon continued to remain a little higher than originally anticipated its possible there’s less shots there for him game to game overall than many of us projected heading into the year. Some of us thought there would be a more defined pecking order beyond the all star backcourt and thus far the supporting cast has been more fluid nightly depending on matchups, confidence and who has the hot hand. For the team and prep for the playoffs that’s not a bad thing.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,933

Post#123 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:04 pm

A lot of the young guys are stressing because their outside shot isn't falling. This isn't just on Norm, but OG, Delon, Fred are all struggling with making the right play and forcing their game.

I still like how Norm's playing off the ball, so I think I'd give him more minutes and just ask him to let the game come to him a bit more.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#124 » by Alfred » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:11 pm

What's good is that we're winning in spite of his poor performances, so the pressure isn't as great. He needs to get his confidence back on offense, and he'll be fine.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#125 » by RaptorsNorth » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:29 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:A lot of the young guys are stressing because their outside shot isn't falling. This isn't just on Norm, but OG, Delon, Fred are all struggling with making the right play and forcing their game.

I still like how Norm's playing off the ball, so I think I'd give him more minutes and just ask him to let the game come to him a bit more.

Fred is decent from 3 but Those other guys were never shooting the ball well from 3 like norm was last season. Delon and OG never shot the ball well in their careers which was one of their biggest weaknesses coming out of college. I mean norm wasn't a good shooter coming out of college either but he retooled his stroke and improved his shooting, where as on the other hand delon has yet to find his stroke in the NBA, and OG was never a good shooter in college either so these guys are not in the same boat as norm who already had a consistent jumper last season (especially in the 2nd half of the season) They're actually working on their shooting stroke to find something that works while norm's shots just won't fall. Norm already found the right shooting mechanics that works for him, delon and OG are still working on that.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#126 » by Psubs » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:38 pm

Powell seems to be pressing after getting the big extension. He's the opposite of mailing it in. He's trying to deliver it on foot and jump instead of airmail.
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#127 » by Lord Eder » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:42 pm

Psubs wrote:Powell seems to be pressing after getting the big extension. He's the opposite of mailing it in. He's trying to deliver it on foot and jump instead of airmail.

Same thing happened last season after the Ross trade. The minutes were there, guaranteed for him and he completely blew it for a while. He picked it back up though and I have faith that he will get back to the Powell we know shortly.
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,572

Post#128 » by bluerap23 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:14 pm

RaptorsNorth wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:
RaptorsNorth wrote:I was never a fan of him starting. I said time after time that people on here need to stop overrating him when all this talk of trading demar and building around norm was going on. Now people realize how hard it is to score in this league when you become a everyday starter and teams start focusing on stopping you. Norm just needed more minutes with the bench unit and that's about it. This team still needs a starting SF if they want to compete in the conference. If bebe shows consistency I think they'll move JV in some kind of a package for a starting SF.

OG been playing good for a rookie and I like were his game is heading but come on now. You really think OG is the answer to our starting SF problem now ? smh... The fact he's not a good shooter right now would cause this team major problems in the playoffs when guys just leave him wide open and double lowry and demar.. Please just stop with the OG overrating smh it's way to early for that. Didn't we just talk about the overrating of norm smh this team needs a proven SF in this league, not rushing young players and throwing them in the fire before they're ready. OG is good where he is as a bench sub. OG needs to add a consistent jumper/3ball shot to his game before we start talking about starting. With both him and demar being poor 3 ball shooters and the 2 and the 3 is just a disaster waiting to happen when the game slows down in the playoffs.

Nah, not saying he should be our starting SF right now, but I believe he is the future. Possibly as soon as next season (more likely the year after next). His D is almost there already and all he has to do is hit wide open 3's. He is already hitting many of the ones that are wide open (missing contested). For now I think CJ should start at the 3.
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#129 » by execoftheyear » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:56 pm

I think it has a lot to do with teams knowing what Powell can do now. He was sort of an unknown his first couple of seasons and this allowed him to sort of taking advantage of defenses because he was an afterthought in teams' defensive schemes. He was playing off the attention Lowry and Derozan got from the opposing teams' defensive schemes but now he's also getting a lot of the attention. Teams have gotten a better scouting report on Powell and have adjusted the way they defend him, they know he can shoot and know he can drive...so they're closing out harder and throwing more help defenders when he drives.

Powell needs to get better at reading and reacting to defenses because he's hesitating whenever he gets the ball. He doesn't know when to shoot or when to drive because of the added pressure. Teams have adjusted to him now he needs to adjust to the defense and it will come with repetition.

I was in the "have Powell come of the bench" camp and really think it suits his game more. The bench is built for guys that thrive in transition and Powell is one of those players. He hasn't gotten many transition opportunities as a starter because the starting 5 is built for a half court offense. It will also allow him to play through some of his mistakes because he'll be the 1st/2nd option as opposed to being a 4th/5th option in the starting lineup where he isn't getting many opportunities and has to be efficient in the limited opportunities he gets. This role is more suited for the more proven shooter in CJ Miles. He's not going to get a lot of shots but his percentages throughout his career prove that he's a threat on any given opportunity.
lilswift01
Rookie
And1: 927

Re: RE: Re: Norm! What Can Be Done? 

Post#130 » by lilswift01 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:30 pm

execoftheyear wrote:I think it has a lot to do with teams knowing what Powell can do now. He was sort of an unknown his first couple of seasons and this allowed him to sort of taking advantage of defenses because he was an afterthought in teams' defensive schemes. He was playing off the attention Lowry and Derozan got from the opposing teams' defensive schemes but now he's also getting a lot of the attention. Teams have gotten a better scouting report on Powell and have adjusted the way they defend him, they know he can shoot and know he can drive...so they're closing out harder and throwing more help defenders when he drives.

Powell needs to get better at reading and reacting to defenses because he's hesitating whenever he gets the ball. He doesn't know when to shoot or when to drive because of the added pressure. Teams have adjusted to him now he needs to adjust to the defense and it will come with repetition.

I was in the "have Powell come of the bench" camp and really think it suits his game more. The bench is built for guys that thrive in transition and Powell is one of those players. He hasn't gotten many transition opportunities as a starter because the starting 5 is built for a half court offense. It will also allow him to play through some of his mistakes because he'll be the 1st/2nd option as opposed to being a 4th/5th option in the starting lineup where he isn't getting many opportunities and has to be efficient in the limited opportunities he gets. This role is more suited for the more proven shooter in CJ Miles. He's not going to get a lot of shots but his percentages throughout his career prove that he's a threat on any given opportunity.

Cj miles doesnt provide the same intensity on defense in the SL. Imagine if he guarded cj last night...he wouldve got torched!!
bluerap23 wrote:
RaptorsNorth wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:
OG been playing good for a rookie and I like were his game is heading but come on now. You really think OG is the answer to our starting SF problem now ? smh... The fact he's not a good shooter right now would cause this team major problems in the playoffs when guys just leave him wide open and double lowry and demar.. Please just stop with the OG overrating smh it's way to early for that. Didn't we just talk about the overrating of norm smh this team needs a proven SF in this league, not rushing young players and throwing them in the fire before they're ready. OG is good where he is as a bench sub. OG needs to add a consistent jumper/3ball shot to his game before we start talking about starting. With both him and demar being poor 3 ball shooters and the 2 and the 3 is just a disaster waiting to happen when the game slows down in the playoffs.

Nah, not saying he should be our starting SF right now, but I believe he is the future. Possibly as soon as next season (more likely the year after next). His D is almost there already and all he has to do is hit wide open 3's. He is already hitting many of the ones that are wide open (missing contested). For now I think CJ should start at the 3.

Sent from my LG-H831 using RealGM mobile app
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#131 » by MikeM » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:01 pm

He needs an in-between game in the worst way.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#132 » by dballislife » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:09 pm

at least hes still playing solid defense, hope his offense comes around
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
scopy
General Manager
And1: 16,421

Post#133 » by scopy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:13 pm

Duffman100 wrote:He had a much better 2nd half. 2 3s and a layup and then...Casey didn't play him after that. Maybe he wanted to leave Norm on a high note, get his confidence up a bit.

One would think that once a player FINALLY starts to heat up that the coach would not immediately bench them.
Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#134 » by dballislife » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:21 pm

norms struggling but i would still give him fvv's minutes, just to try to get him going and get more min with 2nd unit
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#136 » by bon » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:43 pm

MikeM wrote:He needs an in-between game in the worst way.

The culture change was to eliminate all of the mid range shooting.... but DeRozan is still taking them. Norm, Kyle, and Delon are all struggling because the defense knows none of these guys are going to pull up from there in this new offense.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,647

Post#137 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:44 pm

bon wrote:

The culture change was to eliminate all of the mid range shooting.... but DeRozan is still taking them. Norm, Kyle, and Delon are all struggling because the defense knows none of these guys are going to pull up from there in this new offense.

No, it wasn't.
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Norm! What Can Be Done? 

Post#138 » by bon » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:48 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
bon wrote:

No, it wasn't.

Yep it was. Just look at the shot distribution of the team. Less midrange shots (in favour of threes) and more passing were the focuses.
Derento
Junior
And1: 114

Post#139 » by Derento » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:13 pm

Kabookalu wrote:http://stats.nba.com/events/?flag=3&CFID=&CFPARAMS=&PlayerID=1626181&TeamID=1610612761&GameID=&ContextMeasure=FGA&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&LeagueID=00&PerMode=PerGame&GameSegment=&Period=0&PlayerPosition=&StarterBench=&PlayerExperience=&OpponentTeamID=0&VsConference=&VsDivision=&Outcome=&Location=&SeasonSegment=&Month=0&LastNGames=0&PlusMinus=N&PaceAdjust=N&Rank=N&GameScope=&DateFrom=&DateTo=&ShotClockRange=&Conference=&Division=&PORound=0&DraftYear=&DraftPick=&College=&Country=&Height=&Weight=&MeasureType=Base&section=players&sct=hex

NBA.com has become such a great tool for basketball analysis now. You can actually watch all of Powell's missed field goal attempts here. So many of his missed lay ups seem to come from just missing them.

How do you do that for other players?
Do you need their jersey?
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#140 » by Kabookalu » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:17 pm

Derento wrote:How do you do that for other players?
Do you need their jersey?

There's probably an easier way to do it but nba.com can be so confusing at times and this really unorthodox way is the way I've gotten used to access it.

I go on the traditional stats menu, and in the filters and I only pick the Toronto Raptors. A players' individual stats can be selected, like their steals, blocks, turnovers, 3 pointers attempted, 3 pointers made, and it'll give you this menu where you can watch the individual clip of the play.

I have this page saved so it's easier for me to get onto:

http://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612761

Read on Twitter

Return to Toronto Raptors