ImageImageImageImageImage

Fred van vleet a free agent this offseason

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,741

Re: Fred van vleet a free agent this offseason 

Post#81 » by VanWest82 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:36 pm

dacrusha wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:FVV is a dime a dozen. we just can't afford to pay 3-4 PGs.

Agreed.

FVV (like Deion and Joseph and Vasquez before him) is someone who very much benefits from Casey's system that's now in its 7th year. A stable system that allows for ease of interchangeable parts.

People were lamenting about Tucker jumping ship in the off-season, but we've replaced him easily with OG/Miles combo. Also crying about PatPat being let go, but his minutes have been easily and painlessly absorbed by the likes of OG/Siakam.

Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a different team than some of you guys. We haven't replaced Tucker. OG and Miles have been wonderful but the things that made Tucker special for us (besides his elite D) was his mental toughness and heart. It infected the entire team and dramatically improved our chemistry and confidence in the process. FVV gives us similar things (though not to the same degree obviously) and it's something we've been sorely lacking these last 4+ seasons. It's why Biyombo was so effective that one year, and as a team why we were so effective with him / because of him.

Anyone who has played competitive team sports knows how important this stuff is to team success. Obviously you need talent to win but without guys who give you grit and toughness and heart and confidence you can only be so good. For this reason I think FVV is anything but a dime a dozen for this team.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#82 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:12 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
dacrusha wrote:

Agreed.

FVV (like Deion and Joseph and Vasquez before him) is someone who very much benefits from Casey's system that's now in its 7th year. A stable system that allows for ease of interchangeable parts.

People were lamenting about Tucker jumping ship in the off-season, but we've replaced him easily with OG/Miles combo. Also crying about PatPat being let go, but his minutes have been easily and painlessly absorbed by the likes of OG/Siakam.

Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a different team than some of you guys. We haven't replaced Tucker. OG and Miles have been wonderful but the things that made Tucker special for us (besides his elite D) was his mental toughness and heart. It infected the entire team and dramatically improved our chemistry and confidence in the process. FVV gives us similar things (though not to the same degree obviously) and it's something we've been sorely lacking these last 4+ seasons. It's why Biyombo was so effective that one year, and as a team why we were so effective with him / because of him.

Anyone who has played competitive team sports knows how important this stuff is to team success. Obviously you need talent to win but without guys who give you grit and toughness and heart and confidence you can only be so good. For this reason I think FVV is anything but a dime a dozen for this team.

yes, you are watching an entirely different team. we are watching the ever evolving Raptors. Tucker didn't make us any more special than what we've seen over the last few years. FVV for sure doesn't move the needle if you're trying to make the connection from Tucker to FVV. like i said, we can't pay 3-4 PGs expecially if we have Powell and Delon are much better defensively than FVV just by their size. FVV is a great 3rd/4th string PG and thats exacty what we have. this team runs 12 deep and the only reason FVV gets to play.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,533

Post#83 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:23 am

He is a secret to other teams so hopefully we can get him cheap.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,434

Post#84 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:13 pm

I have no problem paying for Vanvleet but over $5M per and it might just be better to trade him.

Powell has looked a lot better beside Wright than he has Vanvleet IMO and since we're already invested in Powell and he plays a pretty crucial role, I think you gotta stick with the Wright/Powell combo over Vanvleet.

Plus Wright will also be cheaper for a year longer.
TerryTate
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#85 » by TerryTate » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:19 pm

I bet you a few teams are taking a look at him
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#86 » by StopitLeo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm not paying FVV more than $4M/y. I'd rather just let Brown run and play him with another ball handler on the second unit (please play better Norm).

I think Delon is done unfortunately. Once you've dislocated your shoulder the risk of it happening again is very high, as we have seen this season. His risk of a third injury is way too high to confidently have him as your backup PG.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#87 » by The_Hater » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Some GM will overpay him but it won’t be MU.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#88 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh sweetsweet plusminus god I wish you health and happiness and life I send you all my prayers. Amen.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#89 » by Psubs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:28 pm

FVV is like Frank Mason. You can pickup these seniors in the 2nd round all of the time.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,393

Post#90 » by phanman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:39 pm

He must be giddy knowing that this year has gone perfectly for him. He plays for a coach that loves PG's and is getting serious playing time with Delon's injury. The guy is even closing games alongside Lowry.

Since Delon went down:
8.6pts, 4ast, 2.2reb, 0.9stl, 1tov on 43/36/69 or 53.5%TS in 21.4mpg with 7.5FGA

Is solid production from a back-up PG.
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#91 » by lolwut » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:11 pm

I think a lot will depend on Wright's health. He's in his third season now and has huge question marks around his durability. He's a slashing PG that likes to mix it up down low, which doesn't seem to bode well for his health issues.
2023-2024 FatherTrackerâ„¢ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,790

Post#92 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:22 pm

Wait... what I understand is we can offer FVV a qualifying offer this summmer. Which means we have the right to match anything. Which also means we would have the right to sign and trade him. Not sure trading him is very urgent given that. Maybe the info I read was wrong but it’s what i see. Is that right?
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#93 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:23 pm

If Fred gets a great offer from someone then it’s a handshake and a goodbye. We’ll be ok but things definitely would be simpler if Norman could play with his head up and run the point.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,506

Post#94 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:56 pm

Some team will offer him a Cory Joseph type contract and he will leave.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#95 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:02 pm

Psubs wrote:FVV is like Frank Mason. You can pickup these seniors in the 2nd round all of the time.

Blasphemer, kindly do not compare such scrubs with a Holy Plus Minus God with a cool last name such as VanVleet!

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,388

Post#96 » by Mikistan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
dacrusha wrote:

Agreed.

What you don't think Demar and Kyle huffing and puffing at the refs is grit and toughness? FOH
Slo
Head Coach
And1: 8,532

Post#97 » by Slo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:06 am

Inevitable wrote:Relax, IBM Watson has half a year to process this scenario.

IBM Watson doing Bitcoins now so we can have money for FVV
yodamaster
Veteran
And1: 2,629

Post#98 » by yodamaster » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:37 am

Return to Toronto Raptors