ImageImageImageImageImage

Time to cash in on the player Investments?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#1 » by North_of_Border » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Raptors have a lot of young budding talent that is just coming into form. However they can’t afford to sign them all all long term with what the main core is getting paid. They are great depth but eventually will be a luxury we can’t afford. Example Delon-FVV, we can’t afford two backup point guards on big deals which will happen soon. Or Poetle-Bebe, we can’t afford to keep or play both with JV and Ibaka ready to start at centre. Siakam could be a sell high candidate and Bruno a possible salvageable asset. Powell a very valuable trade chip.

So what to do?

I think we gotta do what Boston did. You gather all the assets you can but cash in before it’s too late. Package them for an impact talent in return.

Unfortunately there is no impact talent available rite now. Gasol and Jordan are not the type of talent I go after by sacrificing the young core. But like Boston, you keep your eyes open, wait for someone to be available, and then jump at the chance. Maybe even over pay little, but get the big name. Today’s NBA thrives on big time players. It’s rare to have Joe Dumars pistons type of depth success now. You need the difference makers.

Wait for a chance and be willing to deal Anyone to get it done. Expect Lowry-DeRozan ofcourse. That’s your core. The guy I would hesitate is OG, but if the return is significant, you don’t worry about a prospect’s potential versus a proven star talent.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,408

Re: Time to cash in on the player Investments? 

Post#2 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Pretty much a non-issue IMO. Bebe, FVV and Bruno are the only expirings this off-season, and only one of those (FVV) is a significant contributor right now. They'll find a way to bring him back if they want to - PG is a stacked position, and even with his good play FVV won't command too much in free agency.

Wright is under contract next year, and Siakam and Poeltl for the next two years. When Siakam and Poeltl are eligible for extensions, Lowry, Ibaka, JV, and Miles will be off-contract. Our current salary commitments in 2020/2021 are just $38M - basically the last year of DD's contract and Powell. There will be plenty of money to extend Poeltl/Siakam/Anunoby if they're deserving. They're the next core of the team - would be a bad move to sell on them IMO.

I agree though that Bebe and possible one of Wright/FVV are expendable. I'm not sure what that gets you - probably not a whole lot - but it's worth exploring.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by North_of_Border » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:39 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:Pretty much a non-issue IMO. Bebe, FVV and Bruno are the only expirings this off-season, and only one of those (FVV) is a significant contributor right now. They'll find a way to bring him back if they want to - PG is a stacked position, and even with his good play FVV won't command too much in free agency.

Wright is under contract next year, and Siakam and Poeltl for the next two years. When Siakam and Poeltl are eligible for extensions, Lowry, Ibaka, JV, and Miles will be off-contract. Our current salary commitments in 2020/2021 are just $38M - basically the last year of DD's contract and Powell. There will be plenty of money to extend Poeltl/Siakam/Anunoby if they're deserving. They're the next core of the team - would be a bad move to sell on them IMO.

I agree though that Bebe and possible one of Wright/FVV are expendable. I'm not sure what that gets you - probably not a whole lot - but it's worth exploring.

The Suns missed out on Kyrie Irving because they didn’t want to deal Josh Jackson, based on potential. Kyrie is a superstar, and chances of Jackson becoming anything similar are slim. Suns bet on potential and likely already regret it.

BC didn’t do the James Harden trade because he bet on Valanciunas potential.

All I’m saying is, don’t get too fixed on young talent because of potential. If Raps had a chance at a proven star, you trade A package of any combination of OG “and” Powel “and” Poetle “and” Siakam if it calls for. Anyone.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,936

Post#4 » by Potential » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:46 pm

The Clippers would get a steal if we give them Delon for DeAndre
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by North_of_Border » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Potential wrote:The Clippers would get a steal if we give them Delon for DeAndre

lol, if you can get Jordan for Delon alone, you do it 10 out of 10 times. No hesitation.

But it will cost much more. Jordan and Gasol are not the type of stars we should trade the future for, agree. DeAndre does not fit here and also happens to be a FA soon. Will be a rental unless we way way overpay to keep him.

Stay away from that trash.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#6 » by dagger » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:06 pm

North_of_Border wrote:All I’m saying is, don’t get too fixed on young talent because of potential. If Raps had a chance at a proven star, you trade A package of any combination of OG “and” Powel “and” Poetle “and” Siakam if it calls for. Anyone.

If/when that opportunity presents itself, it's a good discussion to have. But who is that star? And who is worthy and fits our needs? Some fans here would have included young assets in a deal to get Carmelo Anthony. Melo is playing terribly with RW and PG. I don't' think he's done, but he's probably not the best fit for Westbrook, who probably needs a speedy wing to complement him best. Victor Oladipo would have been the ideal keeper the way he is playing this year. And they traded him away to get Paul George.

I doubt Masai is refusing to take calls about his young players. The media has reported that there were calls about Delon Wright last summer that Masai rebuffed. As for FVV, as an undersized college senior PG who will be 25 by the middle of next season, I don't see him making any more than the mid-level exception, and probably less (I'm thinking $6-7m). He's not going to be John Stockton, unlikely to even become a starter, and if Wright continues to improve losing Fred wouldn't be a catastrophe. With Wright, who could sign an extension next summer for 2019-2020, with his shoulder situation, he's a good bet to give a discount to get some financial security. He's another candidate to get less than Norman Powell. And as others have noted, extensions for OG, Poeltl and Siakim are far enough down the timeline not to worry about.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#7 » by RaptorsLife » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:09 pm

North_of_Border wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:Pretty much a non-issue IMO. Bebe, FVV and Bruno are the only expirings this off-season, and only one of those (FVV) is a significant contributor right now. They'll find a way to bring him back if they want to - PG is a stacked position, and even with his good play FVV won't command too much in free agency.

The Suns missed out on Kyrie Irving because they didn’t want to deal Josh Jackson, based on potential. Kyrie is a superstar, and chances of Jackson becoming anything similar are slim. Suns bet on potential and likely already regret it.

All I’m saying is, don’t get too fixed on young talent because of potential. If Raps had a chance at a proven star, you trade A package of any combination of OG “and” Powel “and” Poetle “and” Siakam if it calls for. Anyone.

If there's a player with James harden talent available than do it. Deandre Jordan or Marc gasol aren't those players
Raptors til death
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,937

Post#8 » by Anticon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:52 pm

North_of_Border wrote:

The issue really is whether any trade makes you better enough in the short term that the long term loss makes sense.

For the Suns, it wasn’t worth giving up Josh Jackson because Kyrie wouldn’t have made them good enough in the short term to convince him to stay once he hit free agency. Maybe he could have been used to attract more free agents or trade on their youth, but one would hope the Suns made an assessment on potential targets and found it was better to stick with their current roster.

I think with the Raptors you would need someone really compelling, not a veteran like Gasol, to make that choice. Is a conference finals spot or winning a few extra games but still falling short in the ECSF worth giving guys that will be solid rotation players in a few years? Unless it’s a really foundational piece that’ll shift the dial significantly, I think you stick with what we have.

That being said, I think once our big contracts are entering expiring status, the options will start to become a little clearer. Pairing one or two young pieces plus a big expiring and a pick is the most obvious route to transition to the post Lowry era, IMO.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,408

Post#9 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:19 pm

North_of_Border wrote:

That's a good point. I was addressing your concern that there won't be enough money to extend these guys - there will be. If the right player comes along, of course you have to look at trading some of young guys.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
dukes_wild
RealGM
And1: 50,145

Post#10 » by dukes_wild » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:26 pm

They have to. Depth only gets you so far (Regular season success), at the end of the day, your starting talent is what will determine your playoff success.

We have to find a way to parlay our young depth into a legit upgrade at Center. It's our only chance
Geddy wrote:You're probably scratching your balls and eating cheese puffs

Ice Trae wrote:Is it just me or does Derrick Rose look like Jean Claude Van Damme
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,759

Post#11 » by Basketball_Jones » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:35 pm

I say stay the course. Go the Pistons route with multiple low end stars. We have that currently, but with two high end stars leading the way.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,163

Post#12 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:57 pm

dukes_wild wrote:They have to. Depth only gets you so far (Regular season success), at the end of the day, your starting talent is what will determine your playoff success.

We have to find a way to parlay our young depth into a legit upgrade at Center. It's our only chance

Why for a C? Ibaka/Poeltl are fine C’s. We need to grab a 3/4 player more than anything. Lowry/Demar/OG/Ibaka is a good base, we just need that 5th guy. Demar sucks on D anywhere so I suppose we could pick up anything other than a C to make us a better team.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,773

Post#13 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 pm

Boston didn’t really do that. They let half of it walk.

Do you really expect a package of Bruno Bebe and FVV is going to bring back some large talent? Nah, just let them play it out if there’s nothing good available.

If there is someone that I think might be cheap to get and might fit well would be Andre Roberson. Not sure if okc sees it that way though.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,163

Post#14 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:26 pm

FVV might be fairly key to moving JV. Instead of attaching a pick we can attach FVV and Bebe onto him to move him. Maybe someone bites
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by North_of_Border » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:49 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:FVV might be fairly key to moving JV. Instead of attaching a pick we can attach FVV and Bebe onto him to move him. Maybe someone bites

I’m listening.... that interesting.

FVV is great but his ceiling is what he is now. He is appealing, but we’re Joseph and Vasquez at one point. I see the resembles here. FVV can be replaced.
We already have a guy to take over, with a higher ceiling too.

But I see teams wanting Wright. Not FVV. For that same reason
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#16 » by The_Hater » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:18 pm

Potential wrote:The Clippers would get a steal if we give them Delon for DeAndre

Say what?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#17 » by RaptorsNorth » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Bro the scrubzilians are gone this offseason along with JV and maybe even fred anyways.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#18 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:54 pm

It's a good thing they are looking good can be moved in the place of picks. Namely FVV/Bebe. Might be able to net us someone worth trading for. Gasol is the guy I want but the situation looks murky.

Poeltl and OG are definitely our best trade chips. Poeltl being more expendable if we decide to move him for a C (such as Gasol) since Backup centres are a dime a dozen these days.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,277

Post#19 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:13 am

OG is the only untouchable imo unless you're talking about a legit SUPERSTAR that's locked in and not old. Because I think he can be a part of a championship type of core with development.

All the other young guys are just solid rotation pieces so I'd have no problem moving any of them.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#20 » by sule » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:14 am

North_of_Border wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:FVV might be fairly key to moving JV. Instead of attaching a pick we can attach FVV and Bebe onto him to move him. Maybe someone bites

I’m listening.... that interesting.

FVV is great but his ceiling is what he is now. He is appealing, but we’re Joseph and Vasquez at one point. I see the resembles here. FVV can be replaced.
We already have a guy to take over, with a higher ceiling too.

But I see teams wanting Wright. Not FVV. For that same reason

I think Wright might actually be the better option in a trade, just b/c he'll likely get more once his contract is up, is older than Van Vleet by 2 years, and doesn't have a fairly reliable 3-point shot, plus Wright has an injury history that would make reliance on him difficult.

Van Vleet would fit better with the 3-year timeline for Lowry/Demar/Ibaka.

I'd wonder if the Spurs would be interested in a Wright for Kyle Anderson type trade. With Parker and Ginobili on their very last legs, and both possibilities for retirement after this season, Wright could end up being a decent stop-gap for them until they find a new PG (unless they can develop Wright's shot). But Wright and Kawhi would be a long, long pairing defensively when on the floor together, and might be intriguing enough to entice them to move back a guy like Anderson.

Return to Toronto Raptors