ImageImageImageImageImage

(Video) The Impact of Fred Vanvleet

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Re: (Video) The Impact of Fred Vanvleet 

Post#21 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:43 am

Kabookalu wrote:
ROBBS wrote:I dunno how anyone was ever a Freddy hater

You should read Boogie's posts in the GT.

To be fair Boogie was more pro-Powell than he was anti-VanVleet. His frustration was with Casey more than Fred.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,264

Post#22 » by mrdressup » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:57 am

Loved the guy right from his first training camp and Summer league.

Been reading up on the CBA to see how it's going to play out with him. I'm not sure if I understand his situation correctly. Because he was unsigned he's restricted so we can only make a maximum qualifying offer. Other teams can sign offer sheets for him for any amount, right? Do we then have the option to match any offer sheet in amount and/or length? Can we go over the cap to resign him?
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,638

Post#23 » by C_Money » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:18 am

Kabookalu wrote:
C_Money wrote:We really could have used this guy instead of Cory Joseph last year lol.

We had both.

Yeah I know but FVV sat on the bench all year while Cory Joseph played like dog sh*t.
blastttOFF
General Manager
And1: 8,803

Post#24 » by blastttOFF » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:47 pm

sca wrote:VanVleet is probably the most underrated player in the league right now.

to most fans, but not to the rest of the 30 GMs in the league
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#25 » by Kabookalu » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:25 am

Bump
Read on Twitter
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,850

Post#26 » by rocky_da_best » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:28 am

What I learned from the video: FVV is GOAT
Sandman88
Head Coach
And1: 6,527

Post#27 » by Sandman88 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:49 am

He is a future star
tdot56
Analyst
And1: 3,080

Post#28 » by tdot56 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:52 pm

He is responsible for many of our wins..and will be come playoffs...
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#29 » by Alfred » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:55 pm

He started the year poorly and was undrafted, so some people might have considered him a scrub.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,000

Post#30 » by NinjaBro » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Alfred wrote:

He started the year poorly and was undrafted, so some people might have considered him a scrub.

I remember earlier in the year he kept getting killed on the defensive end by bigger guards or bigs when they got the switch for a mismatch. We couldn't understand why he was closing games for us. As time went on our team defense got a lot better and the team and Fred just clicked. It's like a well oiled machine right now with Fred on the floor. The coaching staff saw all the good things that FVV was doing on the floor that us armchair quarterbacks weren't seeing on our TV screen and knew to stick with him.
Duckrice
Junior
And1: 872

Post#31 » by Duckrice » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:28 pm

I love seeing FVV playing so well, he's repping for all the short guards (like me) who have to make up for height deficiencies by scrapping like hell and playing smart ball. There's not enough respect for the shorter guys - they have to play twice as hard and be insanely strong to be able to compete at a high level. I played a lot like him in my competitive days. :D
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#32 » by Red_Claw » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Im very timid to go all in with Freddy. He's playing the best basketball of his career but this feels like Deja vu all over again ala Powell.

Powell left people drooling around this time last year. The kid gets resigned and now is not even in the rotation and were desperate to trade him.

Steady Freddy is the perfect name for him. If he continues to be a 3pt threat, play defence and run the bench efficiently, ill be very impressed but the hype has got to stop. Fred will NEVER BE AN ALL STAR but i do believe that in the near future between Delon and him, they can make Lowry expandable.

Contain your expectations.
Jef
Sixth Man
And1: 3,405

Post#33 » by Jef » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:16 pm

Red_Claw wrote:Im very timid to go all in with Freddy. He's playing the best basketball of his career but this feels like Deja vu all over again ala Powell.

Powell left people drooling around this time last year. The kid gets resigned and now is not even in the rotation and were desperate to trade him.

Steady Freddy is the perfect name for him. If he continues to be a 3pt threat, play defence and run the bench efficiently, ill be very impressed but the hype has got to stop. Fred will NEVER BE AN ALL STAR but i do believe that in the near future between Delon and him, they can make Lowry expandable.

No. Powell came around when we all desperately wanted some exciting new blood. He played well, but not for as long as FVV has been this year. This one is different.

We will go into the tax to keep FVV - he will get $8M from us. We will also not be trading JV.

Ironically, it's Powell (and Bebe) who now is the most likely not to be on the Raps next year, but there are plenty of good reasons to keep him, too, even in the tax.

If we reach the finals, only Bebe's going (maybe). We will have enough playoff revenue to warrant it all, methinks.
Norman Powell, after Game 5 Pacers dunk: "That's Norman Powell!"
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#34 » by Kabookalu » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:16 am

Red_Claw wrote:Im very timid to go all in with Freddy. He's playing the best basketball of his career but this feels like Deja vu all over again ala Powell.

This is easy to say in hindsight, but there was a part of me that wasn't sold on Powell in the past when he played well (like only 10%, but still!) My fears for him at draft time was that he lacked a shot and in between game; offensively he could get to the rim, but that was that. When he showed off a deadly 3 point shot it quelled my fears, but he still had no in between game and wasn't that great of a playmaker. I thought he did well with the starters because he wouldn't be the focus of defenses, and I thought he'd do well in a sixth man role since it's easier for limited scorers who excel at one thing to exert their will against benches. I didn't think he'd be anything more than that unless he drastically improved those aspects that he's lacking in.

For what it's worth I was one of those people telling people how foolish it was to think DeMar was expendable just because of Powell.

Right now I earnestly believe that Fred could be a lot more than what he's showing. He's a master playmaker that's done a beautiful job running an offense with a talented, but flawed, second unit. I can't even imagine how well he'd do with 4 other starting caliber players running beside him. I love our second unit but there are so many times that they should have screwed a play up (through no fault besides being less talented bench players compared to their starting counterparts), but Fred VanVleet just knows what to do on offense and knows where the ball needs to go. They shouldn't be THIS good on offense, but they are because of Fred. He's the second best Raptor I've seen at controlling pace, and second best playmaker at knowing when to be aggressive. I said this in another thread, he's the best of both Calderon and Ford; Calderon's patience and elite pick and roll playmaking, and Ford's assertive dribble drive game. He's not better than either of them at their strengths, but the combination of those two creates for a superior playmaker (in my opinion anyways).

He's that party member in an RPG that isn't individually dominant, but boosts up the stats of the rest of his comrades.

Read on Twitter
Jim Todd Jr.
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,483

Post#35 » by Jim Todd Jr. » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:50 am

Love Fred... but could definitely see him underperforming his next contract and riding pine if hes not in the right situation.

Hes a great fit here, hope he stays.
Chips with the dip baybeeee.

Return to Toronto Raptors