ImageImageImageImageImage

Why we should be rooting for Detroit

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Thats a Rap
Sixth Man
And1: 4,212

Re: Why we should be rooting for Detroit 

Post#41 » by Thats a Rap » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:43 am

Hassassin wrote:I'm rooting for Detroit so I can score some cheap playoff tix.

It's a great point, we would probably get legitimately 1000 or more people their arena. For that reason alone it would be amazing.

I don't get the interest in Miami - they are a quality team and frankly are probably better than an 8th seed. They've played us twice really hard at home. We'd still definitely be favoured but I think they'd be tougher than Philly, Milwaukee, Detroit or Indiana by a long shot.

Also, everyone is also scared of the Sixers but I'm not at all. There is almost no precedent for a lower seeded team full of young guys with no playoff experience winning and in fact they are a prime team to get whooped badly in their first playoff experience (after which they will "learn from it" and come back stronger).
dukes_wild
RealGM
And1: 50,145

Post#42 » by dukes_wild » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:52 am

All I hope is that Philly finishes over 7th. We have to avoid them
Geddy wrote:You're probably scratching your balls and eating cheese puffs

Ice Trae wrote:Is it just me or does Derrick Rose look like Jean Claude Van Damme
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,487

Post#43 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:06 am

nnah thats boring... them sand miami will be a lame series

i want philly
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,820

Post#44 » by JJ_PR » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:12 am

Kabookalu wrote:

Ho man it's the OG FreeDawkins/DownToBuck/GD Highlights.

He dead bruh. R.I.P.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#45 » by Kabookalu » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:15 am

JJ_PR wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:

Ho man it's the OG FreeDawkins/DownToBuck/GD Highlights.

He dead bruh. R.I.P.

I know :waaa: out of all the channels to terminate they pick the one who gets the least amount of views because he celebrates scrubs and non stars going off instead of uploading the same ten players every night.
Read on Twitter
Thats a Rap
Sixth Man

Post#46 » by Thats a Rap » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:26 am

dukes_wild wrote:All I hope is that Philly finishes over 7th. We have to avoid them

I wrote this in the post right above yours but why are you so nervous about Philly? Is there even a precedent for a team that young with no playoff experience winning a single round as a lower ranked seed? My history of the Raptors through the eras (first try against NYK, first try against NJN, first try against BKN) shows those teams come up short - we almost won the BKN series but we were the higher seed there and our guys were not as young as the Sixers' core is today (where their two best players are a rookie and a sophomore). Reminds me much more of the 2000 Raptors (with a young Vince and T-Mac) against the rugged Knicks, where we got destroyed.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,260

Post#47 » by djsunyc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:39 am

Thats a Rap wrote:
dukes_wild wrote:All I hope is that Philly finishes over 7th. We have to avoid them

I wrote this in the post right above yours but why are you so nervous about Philly? Is there even a precedent for a team that young with no playoff experience winning a single round as a lower ranked seed? My history of the Raptors through the eras (first try against NYK, first try against NJN, first try against BKN) shows those teams come up short - we almost won the BKN series but we were the higher seed there and our guys were not as young as the Sixers' core is today (where their two best players are a rookie and a sophomore). Reminds me much more of the 2000 Raptors (with a young Vince and T-Mac) against the rugged Knicks, where we got destroyed.

bruh - have you never watched kyle + dd in the playoffs? lol.

embiid will singlehandedly shut down our offense. then what happens? we can still win the series, i agree...but it's not a gimme. for once can we win a series convincingly?
Thats a Rap
Sixth Man

Post#48 » by Thats a Rap » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:47 am

djsunyc wrote:
Thats a Rap wrote:

embiid will singlehandedly shut down our offense. then what happens? we can still win the series, i agree...but it's not a gimme. for once can we win a series convincingly?

The Lowry/DeRozan in the playoffs thing is a different argument. I don't see how that's really related to who we want to play. Ultimately we want to play worse teams and avoid better ones regardless of what those guys' playoff capabilities are.

As far as your other contention that Embiid will "singlehandedly" shut down our offense, there's no evidence for that. We've played against him 3x now, and true are 1-2 against them when he plays. But he didn't "shut down" our offense, especially this year, and certainly not singlehandedly. In the two games this year, he was lousy in ACC game (14 points, -17) and ok at the Philly game (34 points but 7 TOs and was a -2). In both cases we scored a lot of points. Frankly Lowry was coming off his injury in the MLK Day game and was awful.

Either way I'm not sure you can take anything there from these three games and translate it to a hypothetical playoff matchup.

Besides, I think we are better coached and for all the shade people throw our way, just wait until you see a first time team in the playoff when we know all THEIR tricks. Like I say, show me precedents to suggest a first time playoff team with its best players this young having any real success as a lower seed. I think we would win 4-0 or 4-1 to be honest.

Miami is the exact opposite of that. Championship pedigree, championship coaching experience, tons of experience and won't get rattled at all being a lower seed on the road. That's what I would want to avoid.
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#49 » by lebron stopper » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:03 am

Yeah the Philadelphia potential upset thing is overblown and overhyped. At best they will probably jump the Raptors and take them to seven but lose the series anyway, then be crowned future worldbeaters for looking awesome against a notoriously underachieving playoff team, like the Bucks were last year. (Seriously people are choosing the Bucks to upset the Raptors this year even though the Raptors beat them. Just because people saw playoff Raptors again. I don't get it.) Same deal with Indiana although Oladipo doesn't get hyped at all these days so people don't think as highly of them. Heat are a weak but aggressive squad with great coaching to hide some talent deficiencies, they'll get swept if the Raptors play like their usual regular season selves. Pistons I'm not sure other than they can be beaten. I'd try to stay away from the Wizards though, they seem to have the Raptors' number.
Topher
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,467

Post#50 » by Topher » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:05 am

I’m starting to think us Raptors fans are insecure.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#51 » by Scott Hall » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:39 am

Topher wrote:I find it funny that some are worried about the 76ers.

Read on Twitter
Topher
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by Topher » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:48 am

Scott Hall wrote:

Read on Twitter

Shouldn’t they be more worried about us though since we’re the 1 seed in the east and have the 3rd best record in the league ...
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#53 » by LiSTWithLani » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Thats a Rap wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
Thats a Rap wrote:I wrote this in the post right above yours but why are you so nervous about Philly? Is there even a precedent for a team that young with no playoff experience winning a single round as a lower ranked seed? My history of the Raptors through the eras (first try against NYK, first try against NJN, first try against BKN) shows those teams come up short - we almost won the BKN series but we were the higher seed there and our guys were not as young as the Sixers' core is today (where their two best players are a rookie and a sophomore). Reminds me much more of the 2000 Raptors (with a young Vince and T-Mac) against the rugged Knicks, where we got destroyed.

The Lowry/DeRozan in the playoffs thing is a different argument. I don't see how that's really related to who we want to play. Ultimately we want to play worse teams and avoid better ones regardless of what those guys' playoff capabilities are.

As far as your other contention that Embiid will "singlehandedly" shut down our offense, there's no evidence for that. We've played against him 3x now, and true are 1-2 against them when he plays. But he didn't "shut down" our offense, especially this year, and certainly not singlehandedly. In the two games this year, he was lousy in ACC game (14 points, -17) and ok at the Philly game (34 points but 7 TOs and was a -2). In both cases we scored a lot of points. Frankly Lowry was coming off his injury in the MLK Day game and was awful.

Either way I'm not sure you can take anything there from these three games and translate it to a hypothetical playoff matchup.

Besides, I think we are better coached and for all the shade people throw our way, just wait until you see a first time team in the playoff when we know all THEIR tricks. Like I say, show me precedents to suggest a first time playoff team with its best players this young having any real success as a lower seed. I think we would win 4-0 or 4-1 to be honest.

Miami is the exact opposite of that. Championship pedigree, championship coaching experience, tons of experience and won't get rattled at all being a lower seed on the road. That's what I would want to avoid.

I can see some similarities to a young Orlando - Shaq/ Penny/ Nick Andersen/ Horace Grant/ Darrell Armstrong.
They were 57-25 and the first seed, a better team than Philly no doubt, but if you're looking for a model you have a historically skilled center that the league has no answer for, a very oversized point guard and talented role players.

The thing that people are sleeping on with Philly is that their role players are all long armed, athletic and good shooters. They have players that can hurt us, for sure.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#54 » by LiSTWithLani » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:24 pm

Topher wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

Read on Twitter

Shouldn’t they be more worried about us though since we’re the 1 seed in the east and have the 3rd best record in the league ...

Shouldn't we be more worried about them, since they're better than we are against top competition?
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#55 » by RaptorsNorth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:36 pm

The only team I really, really, don't want to see in the first round is Philly because they've already figured us out. In the last 2 games we played against them ( with embiid) they've trapped the hell out of demar and lowry while leaving both of them frustrated, also JV can not guard embiid, and their bench has done a good job against our bench.. The worse first round playoff match up for the raptors would easily be philly, easily. Sorry but if they're in 8th I rather drop down to 2nd and take my chances in 2nd round.. It's much more embarrassing to finish first and get knocked out in the first round rather than finish 2nd and get knocked out in the 2nd round on the ECF.. Can you imagine if philly were to eliminate the raptors in the first round ? This would make the raptors even more irrelevant heading into the playoffs, and I'm pretty sure masai would clean house. I know Miami and Detroit would be good match up's but I feel like we can beat these teams, Philly ? I'm not so sure about. They match well with us at almost every position.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
djsunyc
RealGM

Post#56 » by djsunyc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Topher wrote:I’m starting to think us Raptors fans are insecure.

we are a reflection of our team in crunchtime :)
djsunyc
RealGM

Post#57 » by djsunyc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:58 pm

RaptorsNorth wrote:The only team I really, really, don't want to see in the first round is Philly because they've already figured us out. In the last 2 games we played against them ( with embiid) they've trapped the hell out of demar and lowry while leaving both of them frustrated, also JV can not guard embiid, and their bench has done a good job against our bench.. The worse first round playoff match up for the raptors would easily be philly, easily. Sorry but if they're in 8th I rather drop down to 2nd and take my chances in 2nd round.. It's much more embarrassing to finish first and get knocked out in the first round rather than finish 2nd and get knocked out in the 2nd round on the ECF.. Can you imagine if philly were to eliminate the raptors in the first round ? This would make the raptors even more irrelevant heading into the playoffs, and I'm pretty sure masai would clean house. I know Miami and Detroit would be good match up's but I feel like we can beat these teams, Philly ? I'm not so sure about. They match well with us at almost every position.

i agree. embiid puts us out of our comfort zone and he will get the superstar calls.
Topher
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by Topher » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:50 pm

lstern wrote:
Topher wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

Shouldn't we be more worried about them, since they're better than we are against top competition?

Simple answer, no.
Sakkreth
Starter
And1: 3,404

Post#59 » by Sakkreth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Detroit also gives me not even a little bit of worries if we face them in the first round.

Philly>>>Miami>Indy/Milwaukee>>>Charlotte/Detroit
as the hardest possible first round matchups for us

I think we would win vs any of them, but might lose to Philly.
PucksAndHoops
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#60 » by PucksAndHoops » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:46 pm

RaptorsFTL wrote:It shouldn't matter who we face at 8. If we're a legitimate threat for anything, we should win the first round in 5 maybe 6 games.

This.

If the Raptors fear the Sixers or Bucks, then they shouldn't be in the conversation to possibly go to the Finals.

Return to Toronto Raptors