ImageImageImageImageImage

The Rebuild Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

The Rebuild Thread 

Post#1 » by Alfred » Tue May 8, 2018 4:03 am

This thread is for all of your rebuilding ideas. If you think you have a plan for the Raptors shedding their big contracts and getting better through the draft and the development of young players, please post here.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Re: The Rebuild Thread 

Post#2 » by RaptorsLife » Tue May 8, 2018 4:05 am

2019 draft is the weakest draft in years

Too much salary for overrated players

Bench Mob won't lose that many games

Hard to see a rebuild
Raptors til death
jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Post#3 » by jeffya2 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:06 am

Lock it up please Alfred
Zero chance of a rebuild
with the bench mob play
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#4 » by whoknows » Tue May 8, 2018 4:09 am

Getting rid of Casey and DD (at best available deal) is a must, a true reset.

We have enough young players, so if we get a decent defender and/or expiring contracts for DD, it is welcome news.

It is called addition by subtraction, people will be surprised on how much easier to watch this team will become.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,742

Post#5 » by And1Skip » Tue May 8, 2018 4:12 am

RaptorsLife wrote:2019 draft is the weakest draft in years

Hard to see a rebuild

I don't quite understand this point that everyone keeps saying. A Rebuild means no more Kyle and DeMar. Most of the Bench Mob will be starting and going up against starters. Who is on the bench then? Well in a Rebuild, you'll have G-league players like Zo Brown, Miller, etc. Take out the 2 stars and it will be a rough season..maybe not worst but still have ping pong balls. But yea, its hard to really tank for just the #1 pick in the draft in 2019 and no one else.
Alpha Mentality
Assistant Coach
And1: 14,102

Post#6 » by Alpha Mentality » Tue May 8, 2018 4:14 am

This team isn't rebuilding. Those most will see is a coaching change and some roster tweaks. Possibly one of DeMar or Lowry being moved out for another significant piece. But everyone is locked up for another 2 years or more. We won't see a rebuild until at least after 2019.
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#7 » by CoachJReturns » Tue May 8, 2018 4:18 am

And1Skip wrote:

Hard to see a rebuild

I don't quite understand this point that everyone keeps saying. A Rebuild means no more Kyle and DeMar. Most of the Bench Mob will be starting and going up against starters. Who is on the bench then? Well in a Rebuild, you'll have G-league players like Zo Brown, Miller, etc. Take out the 2 stars and it will be a rough season..maybe not worst but still have ping pong balls. But yea, its hard to really tank for just the #1 pick in the draft in 2019 and no one else.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who realizes this makes zero sense. Raps will not be a good team if all vets are gone. A fun young team to watch perhaps but not genuinely good.
Also, if the vets were traded for picks you can always get the 1st pick from another team as Cleveland dis to draft Kyrie not so long ago.
Let other teams assist the tank.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#8 » by dalton749 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:22 am

My favourite. I miss the scheming.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,277

Post#9 » by Raps in 4 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:22 am

Trade Demar, Lowry, and JV for prospects. Combined with what we already have, we might end up with something good.

Glue Ibaka to the bench and ride out his contract.
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,762

Post#10 » by TrustFundBaby » Tue May 8, 2018 4:23 am

Raps in 4 wrote:Trade Demar, Lowry, and JV for prospects. Combined with what we already have, we might end up with something good.

Thats treadmilling imo .Our youth+whatever return we get, probably finish with a pick from 9-14
Steven1562
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,180

Post#11 » by Steven1562 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:25 am

Masai would never rebuild the guy is satisfied with this. 45-55 regular season wins. Win a round or two. Get beaten by the Cavs. Collect the money from season ticket owners.
Any time y'all wanna see me again
Rewind this track right here, close your eyes
and picture me rollin

Scottie Barnes Believer.
Jenga_tDot
Analyst
And1: 4,737

Post#12 » by Jenga_tDot » Tue May 8, 2018 4:39 am

I truly believe a rebuild is necessary for this team. Not a retool.
We will never succeed with DeMar as the top dog, and I doubt we get any sort of all star in a trade for him.

Unfortunately theres not much Masai can do other than fire Casey. If he can't find good deals (top 10 Lotto picks) on Lowry/DeMar then he has no choice but to trade them for whatever and tank it out for 3-4 seasons.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,277

Post#13 » by Raps in 4 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:55 am

Raptar7 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:Trade Demar, Lowry, and JV for prospects. Combined with what we already have, we might end up with something good.

Thats treadmilling imo .Our youth+whatever return we get, probably finish with a pick from 9-14

It doesn't matter if we draft the prospects or trade for them. The point is to accumulate top prospects.
zippy
Veteran
And1: 4,130

Post#14 » by zippy » Tue May 8, 2018 5:01 am

Steven1562 wrote:Masai would never rebuild the guy is satisfied with this. 45-55 regular season wins. Win a round or two. Get beaten by the Cavs. Collect the money from season ticket owners.

After this humiliating performance, I have a feeling he’s going to lose quite a few season ticket holders.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,675

Post#15 » by VanWest82 » Tue May 8, 2018 5:02 am

Does firing the coach and trading Demar count as rebuilding? Either way, they should take that route.

There are a bunch of all stars and borderline all stars that might be available this off season (Lillard, McCollum, Beal, Porter, Boogie, and Kawhi to name a few). I expect more names will surface. Masai should also explore draft deals if he finds someone he likes, or even a young vet who's still blossoming like Booker or Ingram.

Step 1: find a new coach who can take this team to the next level schematically.
Step 2: trade Demar for a package that fits with Masai / new coach's vision
Step 3: re-sign and even extend the kiddies.
Step 4: win a bunch of games next year
Step 5: trade Ibaka the following off season or trade deadline once he becomes an expiring.

It might be a long road until we're in a position to get a star but it's worth waiting if needed rather than making a bunch of bad deals for the sole purpose of moving on from this era. But I'd start with a new coach and getting something back for Derozan while he's still in his prime.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#16 » by XxIronChainzxX » Tue May 8, 2018 5:08 am

And1Skip wrote:

Hard to see a rebuild

I don't think you appreciate how hard a team has to suck to contend for a top 5 pick.
SavetheRaps
Junior
And1: 419

Post#17 » by SavetheRaps » Tue May 8, 2018 5:13 am

been watching this team for 15+ years, spent tons of my money and heart span on this. im done done done done. its over.
Jim Todd Jr.
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,483

Post#18 » by Jim Todd Jr. » Tue May 8, 2018 5:14 am

I would personally like to trade Demar before this draft, for a mid lotto pick and hopefully expirings.

The rest of Lowry / Ibaka / JV will not net any good picks so I would move them in the summer.

Hire Nurse, run the kids, and let Masai go to work - this man has planned for life beyond this core for a while.
Chips with the dip baybeeee.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,742

Post#19 » by And1Skip » Tue May 8, 2018 5:14 am

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
And1Skip wrote:

Hard to see a rebuild

I don't think you appreciate how hard a team has to suck to contend for a top 5 pick.

I just said it’s hard to tank. But people seem to think the bench mob and g league players will actually make the playoffs. Really? Ok maybe bench mob and gleaguers and a good coach like Stack ok I get your point. Bench mob and gleaguers will definitely be better than the 2018 Hornets, Pistons and Knicks and Clippers. Ok I appreciate it now
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,705

Post#20 » by Kurtz » Tue May 8, 2018 5:16 am

Don't need a rebuild. Need a retool.

Masai drafts well, he can draft the next Kawhi/Mitchell/Freak etc outside of the top 10.

We'll need to do business with BC this offseason. Send him one or two of Lowry/DD/Serge and pick up Fultz/Covington and some of his picks.

Return to Toronto Raptors