ImageImageImageImageImage

The Rebuild Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

jimross
Sixth Man
And1: 2,476

Re: The Rebuild Thread 

Post#401 » by jimross » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:35 am

With rumors of the Grizz and Mavs looking to move their picks in hopes of a potential playoff contender next season it really does seem like a prime opportunity to move DD.

If we could pull out 4 or 5 + Parsons/Matthews and take either Bamba or JJJ I'll take that all day.

I wouldn't stop there. Move Lowry as well for Wiggins which I think the Timbs will accept.

Would make a really young and fun team too watch with alot of high upside players. I'd much rather watch that then rolling out the same core.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#402 » by StopitLeo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:18 pm

jimross wrote:With rumors of the Grizz and Mavs looking to move their picks in hopes of a potential playoff contender next season it really does seem like a prime opportunity to move DD.

If we could pull out 4 or 5 + Parsons/Matthews and take either Bamba or JJJ I'll take that all day.

I wouldn't stop there. Move Lowry as well for Wiggins which I think the Timbs will accept.

Would make a really young and fun team too watch with alot of high upside players. I'd much rather watch that then rolling out the same core.

I don't think you can follow up with that Lowry trade. A young team needs veterans. CJ, JV, and Ibaka are not the ones I want to leave all the mentoring of our youth to. That's not to say that Lowry shouldn't be traded when he has good value, we just need to make sure we have solid vets around.
jimross
Sixth Man

Post#403 » by jimross » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:26 pm

StopitLeo wrote:
jimross wrote:With rumors of the Grizz and Mavs looking to move their picks in hopes of a potential playoff contender next season it really does seem like a prime opportunity to move DD.

I don't think you can follow up with that Lowry trade. A young team needs veterans. CJ, JV, and Ibaka are not the ones I want to leave all the mentoring of our youth to. That's not to say that Lowry shouldn't be traded when he has good value, we just need to make sure we have solid vets around.

Ehh I don't know. I feel alot of this veteran help is overrated to a degre. Not saying it isn't important but if you can swing a trade for Wiggins I'd rather take a chance on his upside than have Lowry as a mentor for 2 years.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#404 » by StopitLeo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:40 pm

jimross wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:

Ehh I don't know. I feel alot of this veteran help is overrated to a degre. Not saying it isn't important but if you can swing a trade for Wiggins I'd rather take a chance on his upside than have Lowry as a mentor for 2 years.

I think you're much higher on Wiggins than I am. I don't see him living up to his contract or even being a 1st overall pick for that matter.
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#405 » by lebron stopper » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Surprised to see people still want Andrew Wiggin$$$
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,222

Post#406 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:34 pm

StopitLeo wrote:
jimross wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:

I think you're much higher on Wiggins than I am. I don't see him living up to his contract or even being a 1st overall pick for that matter.

wiggins or whatever...if you trade demar for a pick, that will trigger a build. at that point, you have to trade lowry. if we can get that philly package of covington, fultz + pick, that would set us up for the present and the future.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
jimross
Sixth Man

Post#407 » by jimross » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:28 pm

StopitLeo wrote:
jimross wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:

I don't see Wiggins ever reaching superstar status but developing into a 2nd option with plus defense is attainable. He's shown an ability to play at a high level for stretches, its just a matter of developing consistency. He's still young and a change of scenery could do him good. He's the perfect young talent to take a gamble on that is actually attainable in a trade for Lowry.

I just don't see Lowry returning a big package or high pick considering his age and contract.

Philly will not move Fultz for him. They aren't giving up on their #1 pick that quickly, especially for a 32 year old who's so much older than their core.

If you think about it how many teams are even in the market for a 32 year old PG that can afford to take on 30 mil? Or give us enough value back?

Very few, it's why Wiggins makes the most sense to me.
Topher
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,467

Post#408 » by Topher » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:53 pm

jimross wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:
jimross wrote:

I don't see Wiggins ever reaching superstar status but developing into a 2nd option with plus defense is attainable. He's shown an ability to play at a high level for stretches, its just a matter of developing consistency. He's still young and a change of scenery could do him good. He's the perfect young talent to take a gamble on that is actually attainable in a trade for Lowry.

I just don't see Lowry returning a big package or high pick considering his age and contract.

Philly will not move Fultz for him. They aren't giving up on their #1 pick that quickly, especially for a 32 year old who's so much older than their core.

If you think about it how many teams are even in the market for a 32 year old PG that can afford to take on 30 mil? Or give us enough value back?

Finally someone who gets it.
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#409 » by CoachJReturns » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:52 pm

Topher wrote:
jimross wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:

Finally someone who gets it.

Hard to disagree really. If Lowry were a few years younger, then sure they have to consider it, but not for a 32 year old point guard. Philly is better off either keeping Fultz, or only moving him for an all-star who's still in his 20s at least.

For Toronto, Wiggins probably is the best we could ask for in return for Lowry. We all know he hasn't improved a lick since coming into the league, which is alarming for a guy on a superstar contract, but if he hasn't been such a disappointment then we couldn't get him. This is essentially a deal where we're hoping to get the ultimate buy low talent before he turns it around.
I'm very skeptical that he will though. Wiggins came into the league with great defensive tools, mainly his length, athleticism and lateral quickness and somehow has become a terrible defender! I don't think he can blame anyone but himself because last year he was coached by an elite defensive coach and played beside another wing who is one of the best perimeter defenders in the game.
Then there's his offense. He hasn't improved his shot. Like, not at all. I don't watch many Minnesota games, but his assist totals are pathetic and make me think he's either a very selfish scorer, or lacks any kind of court vision out there.

The couple positives I see, looking at the numbers, are his corner 3 ball where he hit .426 of his attempts this past year and over .400 for his career and his shot selection, which is something that can improve. He's very much like DeMar in that he takes far too many attempts from mid range. If Nurse can get him to take less of those 16-20 footers, he may become more efficient.
Another potential positive factor is the group of guys and coach he'd be joining. Nurse's system last year and how much the young guys embrace it might bring out the best in Wiggins. If we retain Fred somehow(please don't lose him Masai), we will still have a young group of guys who are all unselfish and play great team defense. Perhaps some of that rubs off on the former 1st overall pick as he sees how much more successful that group is when they play together. Lastly, there's the hometown factor. I don't really know if it would cause this young man to train harder, or play harder. I do think the initial support he'd get would match, or possibly exceed that he received when he first landed in Minnesota as the number 1 pick. Everyone would be routing for the guy. He's a hometown player and one of our most purely talented athletes. If that isn't enough to make him man up and improve his game, then nothing will. If he fails though, on his contract, the hate will be real. He must know that and if he doesn't, someone should tell him.

The main factor to me in a deal for Wiggins is determining how much of a burden the potentially most toxic contract in the league can have on our cap space going forward? Can we even re-sign our young guys including OG, Delon, Pascal and Jak when it's time? Wiggins' contract does not expire until the summer of 2023 and he will be making over 30 million a season in the last 2 years of that deal!

It's a huge gamble and may not be worth it, but if the idea is a full rebuild and trading Kyle, then I can't see what better deal we could get for him. He may be an all-star, but he's 32 and plays the deepest position in the league. The number of teams that could really use him enough to offer a solid return may be less than we like.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,659

Post#410 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:56 am

lebron stopper wrote:Surprised to see people still want Andrew Wiggin$$$

If we could flip Ibaka for Wiggins I'd do it in a heartbeat
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
Topher
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,467

Post#411 » by Topher » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:00 am

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
lebron stopper wrote:Surprised to see people still want Andrew Wiggin$$$

If we could flip Ibaka for Wiggins I'd do it in a heartbeat

Wolves obviously don’t tho. Plus they have Towns, Dieng, Taj and Aldrich already.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#412 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:54 am

jimross wrote:Philly will not move Fultz for him. They aren't giving up on their #1 pick that quickly, especially for a 32 year old who's so much older than their core.

Philly came out & said they're ready to take that next step. Fultz is the former #1 pick but he aslo played like a bust & was coming off the bench in favor of TJ McConnell during their playoff run. Lowry may be 32 but he was this 60 win teams best player. You've attached value solely to draft slot & age.

Financially Lowry's short term contract benefits them over Covington & Fultz being near 30m 3-4 yrs down the road when Simmons & Saric have to be extended. It keeps them out the Luxury tax especially if they target a big FA signing as they plan too.

Include Poeltl who was drafted 8th & proved himself defensively where Philly went from being ranked 2nd last on defense when Embiid was off court to 1st when he was on court & there's plenty for them to like in this trade.

Philly have already put out news that many didn't want to draft Fultz & that they were over-ruled by BC.

From O’Connor:
“It was a decision praised at the time, but after Fultz struggled in his workout with the Sixers last June, league sources say some Sixers front-office members suggested that despite making the trade, the team should have taken a second look at (Jayson) Tatum or Lonzo Ball. But the idea was shot down by Colangelo, according to sources.”
Fultz actually had a bumpy workout in Boston, as well, which turned out to be a sign of things to come. The rookie point guard played in just 14 regular season games while taking heat from Colangelo’s wife on Twitter, as Ball showed flashes of promise with the Lakers and Tatum went on to set rookie records for the Eastern Conference finalist Celtics.
The jury obviously is still out on all three players — just ask Colangelo — but Tatum clearly looks like the best player of that crop. Considering Fultz’s mysterious shoulder issues, Ball possibly could have been a better selection, as well.
The fallout from that draft will be another general manager’s problem

David Aldridge

Philly need a guard that can compliment SImmons off ball, we cannot rely on Fultz regaining form.

Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#413 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:01 pm

The player that would most likely need to be moved out is small forward Robert Covington, who currently has four years and $46.9 million remaining on his current deal. One of the elite perimeter defenders in the league, Covington was recently recognized with his selection to the NBA All-Defensive First Team.
However, his inconsistencies on the offensive end have plagued him throughout his career, and were particularly evident this past postseason, when Covington was removed from the starting lineup for the final three games of their second round series against the Boston Celtics.
Having said this, Covington is still just 27 and is sure to have plenty of interest from rival suitors should he become available for trade.

https://hoopshabit.com/2018/06/12/philadelphia-76ers-3-enthralling-trades-involving-robert-covington/
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,282

Post#414 » by PhilBlackson » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:53 pm

StopitLeo wrote:

Who the heck cares about mentorship?! lol The team would be resetting into a rebuild not trying to contend. It's all about acquiring as many young assets as we could n seeing if we can develop them into something better. It's also not like these are a bunch of immature players that just turned 20...with the exception of OG (who I'm not even slightly worried about) the majority of them are nearing their mid-20s which is just fine n they already have shown maturity ie/ the Bench Mob was deadly (which as a reminder CJ would also still be around).

I'm not super high on Wiggins either but I much rather have his upside to work on than a pointless couple of years of Lowry as he regresses while I'd rather let FVV then start (who is also more than mature enough) n continue to develop chemistry with the other young guys. As for Wiggins right now he's much like a young DeMar (except was a better scorer earlier, actually far more skilled at an earlier age) but he has better 3pt shooting/range, quickness and elite athleticism. He showed some promise defensively in college (not sure what happened) but Nurse can work with that n even if he didn't make huge improvements there...if you gave me an option to have a more explosive athlete, quicker n better shooting version of DD, no its not my ideal player but I'd rather that than a couple of meaningless years of a player that will only stand in the way of my young PG n worse yet make our next couple of picks even lower in the draft.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
jimross
Sixth Man

Post#415 » by jimross » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
jimross wrote:Philly will not move Fultz for him. They aren't giving up on their #1 pick that quickly, especially for a 32 year old who's so much older than their core.

Philly came out & said they're ready to take that next step. Fultz is the former #1 pick but he aslo played like a bust & was coming off the bench in favor of TJ McConnell during their playoff run. Lowry may be 32 but he was this 60 win teams best player. You've attached value solely to draft slot & age.

Financially Lowry's short term contract benefits them over Covington & Fultz being near 30m 3-4 yrs down the road when Simmons & Saric have to be extended. It keeps them out the Luxury tax especially if they target a big FA signing as they plan too.

Include Poeltl who was drafted 8th & proved himself defensively where Philly went from being ranked 2nd last on defense when Embiid was off court to 1st when he was on court & there's plenty for them to like in this trade.

Philly have already put out news that many didn't want to draft Fultz & that they were over-ruled by BC.

From O’Connor:
“It was a decision praised at the time, but after Fultz struggled in his workout with the Sixers last June, league sources say some Sixers front-office members suggested that despite making the trade, the team should have taken a second look at (Jayson) Tatum or Lonzo Ball. But the idea was shot down by Colangelo, according to sources.”
Fultz actually had a bumpy workout in Boston, as well, which turned out to be a sign of things to come. The rookie point guard played in just 14 regular season games while taking heat from Colangelo’s wife on Twitter, as Ball showed flashes of promise with the Lakers and Tatum went on to set rookie records for the Eastern Conference finalist Celtics.
The jury obviously is still out on all three players — just ask Colangelo — but Tatum clearly looks like the best player of that crop. Considering Fultz’s mysterious shoulder issues, Ball possibly could have been a better selection, as well.

David Aldridge

Philly need a guard that can compliment SImmons off ball, we cannot rely on Fultz regaining form.

No I've taken into account everything. I still don't see Philly giving up Fultz in a package for Lowry.

It doesn't make sense for them to sell low on Fultz unless they truly feel he's a bust. Even if they think so, Philly would be much smarter to target a PG like Kemba Walker who's a great fit in a Ben Simmons led offense, 4 years younger than Lowry and only makes 12 mil this season. Kemba also gives the 76ers alot more financial flexibility comapred to Lowry + Poeltl who might take Philly out of the running for a max player, or at the very least, make it very tough for them to sign a max player and any depth.

At the end of the day if Philly is offering a package of Fultz + Covington + 10 they'll get a better offer than Lowry + Poeltl.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#416 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:31 pm

jimross wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

From O’Connor:

David Aldridge

No I've taken into account everything. I still don't see Philly giving up Fultz in a package for Lowry.

It doesn't make sense for them to sell low on Fultz unless they truly feel he's a bust. Even if they think so, Philly would be much smarter to target a PG like Kemba Walker who's a great fit in a Ben Simmons led offense, 4 years younger than Lowry and only makes 12 mil this season. Kemba also gives the 76ers alot more financial flexibility comapred to Lowry + Poeltl who might take Philly out of the running for a max player, or at the very least, make it very tough for them to sign a max player and any depth.

At the end of the day if Philly is offering a package of Fultz + Covington + 10 they'll get a better offer than Lowry + Poeltl.

Walker’s fit would be questionable. He's at his best when attacking the basket, attracting extra defenders and creating open shots for his teammates. It might be difficult for two high-usage players like SImmons and Walker to coexist in the same way Lowry would allow Simmons to be the primary playmaker. Simmons doesn't have any range & Kemba needs the ball to be effective.

Defensively I haven't looked at any numbers but I'd think Lowry to be the better defender of the 2. Take the ball out of Walkers hands he's not doing much for you defensively. Philly are looking to address the fact that they couldn't contain Rozier, Fultz had to be benched because of spacing issues & McConnel wasn't good enough defensively to contain him.

Walker is a career 35% from 3. Lowry shot 40% this past season, 45% in the playoffs & is a career 370.

Taking the ball out of Lowry's hands is to a benefit to him, where Walker is best as a primary ball handler, Lowry has also been better from range than Walker for their careers, he just had his best shooting season to date & he's less of a defensive weak link but he's 32 & older

Yes Walker is younger & cheaper but he's in a contract year where Charlotte besides asking for young players, picks, want to offload salary in any Walker trade. If Philly take on a bad contract for cap space as required by Charlotte, then their FA plans no longer exist.

Poeltl has proven himself an excellent defensive big. Sixers were 1st in the league defensively when Embiid was on court at (102) & 2nd to last at at (112) off. Poeltl would go a long way in rectifying that defensive gap. Addressing this issue on rookie scale.

#8 Poeltl > value than #10, while filling a need

In term of having to resign Walker after next season to probably a max deal to retain him, it all but eliminates any other FA target, whereas Lowry comes off the books when Saric & Simmons face extensions in 2yrs.
mcHAPPY
Sophomore
And1: 425

Post#417 » by mcHAPPY » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:35 pm

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:
jimross wrote:

wiggins or whatever...if you trade demar for a pick, that will trigger a build. at that point, you have to trade lowry. if we can get that philly package of covington, fultz + pick, that would set us up for the present and the future.

I don’t believe trading DD signals a rebuild. Might not lead to as much regular seasons wins but should still win over 50 and make them better for playoffs.

I don’t think Philly giving up Covington, Fultz and the pick. But I’d be very happy with Covington, Bayless, and 10.

Raps still save $10m for next year $19m following season (difference in salary of Lowry & Covington/Bayless/10 next year and Lowry Lowry & Covington/10 following season).
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,222

Post#418 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:25 pm

mcHAPPY wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:

I don’t believe trading DD signals a rebuild. Might not lead to as much regular seasons wins but should still win over 50 and make them better for playoffs.

I don’t think Philly giving up Covington, Fultz and the pick. But I’d be very happy with Covington, Bayless, and 10.

Raps still save $10m for next year $19m following season (difference in salary of Lowry & Covington/Bayless/10 next year and Lowry Lowry & Covington/10 following season).

lowry's declining. no point in trading demar and keeping lowry. this offseason you can get the best value for him in a trade. if you can a good return back, you do it. and covington, fultz and the pick is a reasonable price to pay for an all star pg that can elevate the team's play to the next level. he brings ball handling, play making and 3 point shooting ability and a veterans presence; all of which the team needs not to mention he's a hometown hero, so lots of pr there.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
mcHAPPY
Sophomore
And1: 425

Post#419 » by mcHAPPY » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:40 pm

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
mcHAPPY wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:

lowry's declining. no point in trading demar and keeping lowry. this offseason you can get the best value for him in a trade. if you can a good return back, you do it. and covington, fultz and the pick is a reasonable price to pay for an all star pg that can elevate the team's play to the next level. he brings ball handling, play making and 3 point shooting ability and a veterans presence; all of which the team needs not to mention he's a hometown hero, so lots of pr there.

I’m not following the logic - apologies.

In one breath saying Lowry is declining and no point keeping him but in the next you’re saying he is what Philly needs and will give up 1st team all NBA defense wing, last year #1, and this year #10.

To be clear, I honestly don’t care if Kyle is traded but I do think he contributes a lot more to winning than DeMar.
Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Post#420 » by Lukeem » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:54 pm

How many of this years draft prospects would raptors fan trade Demar for pretty much straight up

I think I’m at Ayton, Doncic, barley, Porter, jjj... then there’s a handful of others I’d consider

Return to Toronto Raptors