ImageImageImageImageImage

2018 Offseason Trades & FA Ideas Thread (CBA Guide Pg.1) V1.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,494

Re: 2018 Offseason Trades & FA Ideas Thread (CBA Guide Pg.1) V1.0 

Post#1781 » by bballsparkin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:32 pm

xavis wrote:Anyone get the sense that if JV puts up 16/10 numbers this year, his trade value will be high enough to nab someone like Butler at the deadline (obviously have to include more)?

He seems like a bad fit for KAT.
Uncle Dennis
General Manager
And1: 12,096

Post#1782 » by Uncle Dennis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
xavis wrote:Anyone get the sense that if JV puts up 16/10 numbers this year, his trade value will be high enough to nab someone like Butler at the deadline (obviously have to include more)?

Alternatively if OG explodes this year and puts up 10+PPG with stellar defence he could be a huge trade chip. But at that point would we even want to let him go?
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#1783 » by Red_Claw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:18 pm

xavis wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

Alternatively if OG explodes this year and puts up 10+PPG with stellar defence he could be a huge trade chip. But at that point would we even want to let him go?

I get the impression that the same people wwho prefer to tank and start with a blank slate also suggest that we get rid of all our longterm assets to make the "big push" for a championship. Neither is good stategy.

Getting rid of an improving OG, someone who "could" fill Kawhi's shoes if he leaves is just dumb. Especially when you have him on a rookie contract for 3 more years.
Uncle Dennis
General Manager

Post#1784 » by Uncle Dennis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Red_Claw wrote:
xavis wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

I get the impression that the same people wwho prefer to tank and start with a blank slate also suggest that we get rid of all our longterm assets to make the "big push" for a championship. Neither is good stategy.

Getting rid of an improving OG, someone who "could" fill Kawhi's shoes if he leaves is just dumb. Especially when you have him on a rookie contract for 3 more years.

I don't know if it's dumb, it depends on what the GM wants (short term or long term). If we got Butler for OG and we ended up winning a championship in the short term, most wouldn't see it as dumb. However, I still would be reluctant to include him in any trade (if he was playing really well).
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#1785 » by Red_Claw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 pm

xavis wrote:
Red_Claw wrote:
xavis wrote:

I don't know if it's dumb, it depends on what the GM wants (short term or long term). If we got Butler for OG and we ended up winning a championship in the short term, most wouldn't see it as dumb. However, I still would be reluctant to include him in any trade (if he was playing really well).

"IF we win a championship....."

What if we don't? What if we under achieve? Would it have been worth giving away our entire future?!

but i do see your point about OG specifically and if he were the only piece to have to trade to bring in an all star, maybe i would react differently but thats not the case here. We would have to give up alot more. Some even suggest adding our up an up and coming center who is our primary (only) rebounder who can handle big minutes.

Best case scenarios are easy to imagine. Its being able to forsee the worst case thats a real skill.
Uncle Dennis
General Manager

Post#1786 » by Uncle Dennis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Red_Claw wrote:
xavis wrote:
Red_Claw wrote:

"IF we win a championship....."

What if we don't? What if we under achieve? Would it have been worth giving away our entire future?!

but i do see your point about OG specifically and if he were the only piece to have to trade to bring in an all star, maybe i would react differently but thats not the case here. We would have to give up alot more. Some even suggest adding our up an up and coming center who is our primary (only) rebounder who can handle big minutes.

Best case scenarios are easy to imagine. Its being able to forsee the worst case thats a real skill.

Sure there are the if's and but's. And yes, worst case scenario, Butler and Kawhi would leave, and we'd be without OG. I guess those are the risks management has to evaluate and determine if it fits their sentiments. In the end we'll see, and I trust Masai to do what's best. He has been doing a pretty solid job thus far, so I'm satisfied with how we look.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,494

Post#1787 » by bballsparkin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:16 pm

xavis wrote:Alternatively if OG explodes this year and puts up 10+PPG with stellar defence he could be a huge trade chip. But at that point would we even want to let him go?

Yeah that would be tough. If OG is playing well he will be important to any long playoff run. I don't think Butler is realistic at this point. He'll be a true rental come the deadline and the cost will hurt. Tough call. I'm thinking the Wolve's would have to be out of the playoff picture to move him.

Personally if I was the Wolves I'd try to cash in on KAT. A big that talented who coasts on defense. See ya!
PHANTOMPHOENIX
Head Coach
And1: 1,074

Post#1788 » by PHANTOMPHOENIX » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:56 pm

bballsparkin wrote:

That is because he is a bad fit for KAT. I really don't understand these trade offers including JV to Minny. As if Minny is going to ship out KAT to accommodate JV. :-?

Ibaka is a better fit for Minny because he can defend 4/5 and gives them some rim protection, basically he would defend whoever KAT does not want to defend.

I am not saying Ibaka would get you Butler, just that he is a better fit for KAT and would only have 1 more year of salary at the trade deadline.

Also at the trade deadline, Butler is basically 3 month rental so I don't expect a great package from any team.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#1789 » by Psubs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:31 pm

PHANTOMPHOENIX wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

That is because he is a bad fit for KAT. I really don't understand these trade offers including JV to Minny. As if Minny is going to ship out KAT to accommodate JV. :-?

Ibaka is a better fit for Minny because he can defend 4/5 and gives them some rim protection, basically he would defend whoever KAT does not want to defend.

I am not saying Ibaka would get you Butler, just that he is a better fit for KAT and would only have 1 more year of salary at the trade deadline.

Also at the trade deadline, Butler is basically 3 month rental so I don't expect a great package from any team.

Though could the Raptors really want to get out of Ibaka's final year? Minnesota could lose Taj Gibson the following season too and could use a big.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#1790 » by Asif16 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:13 pm

bballsparkin wrote:

I think its the opposite. KAT's game is transitioning more and more to the perimeter.

There's also complaints among wolves fans that KAT doesnt like playing defense and guarding the other team's C's. Thats why he's such a mediocre rebounder. Minnesota might do well by having Val do all the dirty work and have KAT play PF full time
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,535

Post#1791 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Asif16 wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

I think its the opposite. KAT's game is transitioning more and more to the perimeter.

There's also complaints among wolves fans that KAT doesnt like playing defense and guarding the other team's C's. Thats why he's such a mediocre rebounder. Minnesota might do well by having Val do all the dirty work and have KAT play PF full time

KAT had a 30.9% DRB last year. #4 in the NBA. Mediocre? LOL
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#1792 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Asif16 wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

KAT had a 30.9% DRB last year. #4 in the NBA. Mediocre? LOL

Yeah hes recorded a double-double in 181 out of his 246 career games. KAt is far from a mediocre rebounder.
Clutch0z24
General Manager
And1: 8,020

Post#1793 » by Clutch0z24 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Wouldnt mind taking a flyer on Waiters who might come cheap and hes on a 3 year deal....Maybe he can develop here like Oladopo did in Indiana...

Maybe a deal like Powell/Wright for Waiters....Kinda would hate losing Wright but hes about to become a free agent and with KL/Fvv being here long term hes kind of out of position playing the SG position....

Waiters is a natural SG and can score in various ways (Something we are lacking is a shot creator/Maker)

he was playing great before the injury
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Post#1794 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:42 am

Clutch0z24 wrote:Wouldnt mind taking a flyer on Waiters who might come cheap and hes on a 3 year deal....Maybe he can develop here like Oladopo did in Indiana...

Maybe a deal like Powell/Wright for Waiters....Kinda would hate losing Wright but hes about to become a free agent and with KL/Fvv being here long term hes kind of out of position playing the SG position....

Waiters is a natural SG and can score in various ways (Something we are lacking is a shot creator/Maker)

he was playing great before the injury

Seems like a waste of Wright IMHO, Waiters is okay but with Green I don't see many minutes for him. Wright is a combo guard he has great defensive instincts to play either spot and has size to be effective as well. I don't buy this he's not a true SG stuff, we seen he can work with FVV and even played SF minutes.

Dion to me has always been a scorer and a me first type of player, I don't like his fit as he is a horrible free throw shooter and a overhyped three point shooter.

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Uncle Dennis
General Manager

Post#1796 » by Uncle Dennis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:52 am

If he's been keeping in shape I'd give him a chance too. He was decent when he started (he got worse as the years went on), but you never know? Do we even have a spot for him though?
mirrornick
RealGM
And1: 13,725

Post#1797 » by mirrornick » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:53 am

xavis wrote:

If he's been keeping in shape I'd give him a chance too. He was decent when he started (he got worse as the years went on), but you never know?

He played overseas and I am sure he is motivated to return to the NBA after 2 years.
Uncle Dennis
General Manager

Post#1798 » by Uncle Dennis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:57 am

mirrornick wrote:
xavis wrote:

If he's been keeping in shape I'd give him a chance too. He was decent when he started (he got worse as the years went on), but you never know?

He played overseas and I am sure he is motivated to return to the NBA after 2 years.

Wikipedia says he played in Puerto Rico.

"Mayo started 18 of his 21 appearances with the team, shooting just 39.0 percent from the field and 34.7 percent from beyond the arc. He also averaged 13.4 points, 3.9 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.1 steals."

Honestly I can't see him taking minutes from Norm, but it would be an interesting option.
mirrornick
RealGM
And1: 13,725

Post#1799 » by mirrornick » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:04 am

xavis wrote:
mirrornick wrote:
xavis wrote:

"Mayo started 18 of his 21 appearances with the team, shooting just 39.0 percent from the field and 34.7 percent from beyond the arc. He also averaged 13.4 points, 3.9 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.1 steals."

Honestly I can't see him taking minutes from Norm, but it would be an interesting option.

Most people on here are set to go. I don't think there's much more to do to improve the team. Everything seems intact.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Post#1800 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:39 pm

xavis wrote:
mirrornick wrote:
xavis wrote:

Doesn't seem like his numbers are that great to justify a roster spot. I mean we have VanVleet, Lowry, Green, Powell, Wright and Miles all as back court players. I can't see Mayo as better than any one of those guys. Mayo isn't really a SF as well and his defense isn't that great, IDK seems like a waste of a spot to me especially for a cap strapped team.

I can see him maybe going to a team looking for a veteran trying to help them make them better like maybe Detroit or Orlando or one of Washington or Indiana.

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry

Return to Toronto Raptors