ImageImageImageImageImage

FIFA World Cup of Soccer - from Basketball fan perspective

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,339

Re: FIFA World Cup of Soccer - from Basketball fan perspective 

Post#241 » by SFour » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:28 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:This is why soccer refs are just as trerrible as NBA refs: https://www.clippituser.tv/c/zkekww

He even called a foul on the Serbian player. :lol:

This was a match against Switzerland (country where FIFA HQ is located) and the ref is German. 4 yellow cards for Serbia (most undeserved) and 1 for Swiss. They've been using video review extensively this tournament to call retroactive penalties. Chose not to use it here because FIFA.

yup that was bs...use VAR it's there for a **** reason...can't stand refs with big egos
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#242 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:13 pm

I just read the video review ref for that match (Felix Zwayer) was caught in a match fixing scandal in 2005 and suspended 6 months. Now he's a ref at the World Cup. :lol:
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,793

Re: RE: Re: FIFA World Cup of Soccer - from Basketball fan perspective 

Post#243 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:35 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Canadian6ersFan wrote:Horrendous game by Argentina. Equally fantastic game by Croatia. That Croatian midfield is the best in the world.

As an aside, just as a tidbit of info, this referee reffed the Argentina game in the last world cup where they lost 4-0. Today they lost again 3-0. Same guy. Insane.

And he did everything in his power to help them too.

He didn't even give out a red card for this. He let a ton of dirty plays slide for them, and they still got humiliated.

the link's dead but was that the play where the Argentinian almost kicked the Croatian in the head after the whistle? yeah that was incredible. such a bs play and inexcusably terrible call. as was the missed call today. as you say the refs do seem to be prone to suddenly making very biased mistakes. on the flip side, some of the refs have been very good so it seems to depend either on bias or competence when they are not.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,643

Post#244 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:37 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Canadian6ersFan wrote:Horrendous game by Argentina. Equally fantastic game by Croatia. That Croatian midfield is the best in the world.

As an aside, just as a tidbit of info, this referee reffed the Argentina game in the last world cup where they lost 4-0. Today they lost again 3-0. Same guy. Insane.

He didn't even give out a red card for this. He let a ton of dirty plays slide for them, and they still got humiliated.

the link's dead but was that the play where the Argentinian almost kicked the Croatian in the head after the whistle? yeah that was incredible. such a bs play and inexcusably terrible call. as was the missed call today. as you say the refs do seem to be prone to suddenly making very biased mistakes. on the flip side, some of the refs have been very good so it seems to depend either on bias or competence when they are not.

yeah otamendi should've been given a straight red for that nonsense. Even as a city fan, I really dislike that guy.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#245 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:03 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

That was the play.
Topher
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,467

Post#246 » by Topher » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:07 pm

Soccer sucks
lobosloboslobos
RealGM

Post#247 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:18 pm

Topher wrote:Soccer sucks

no, but your post does
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#248 » by Darknemo2000 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:20 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:I just read the video review ref for that match (Felix Zwayer) was caught in a match fixing scandal in 2005 and suspended 6 months. Now he's a ref at the World Cup. :lol:

Fits well with FIFA organization. And if he is particularly good at fixing matches expect him to raise through ranks fast.
Topher
Lead Assistant

Post#249 » by Topher » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:21 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:

no, but your post does

Hey man Ottawa represent (thumbs up)
Also after lurking for years and years I signed up for realgm because of a thread you created. And then you never responded to my post
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#250 » by Lord Eder » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:I just read the video review ref for that match (Felix Zwayer) was caught in a match fixing scandal in 2005 and suspended 6 months. Now he's a ref at the World Cup. :lol:

A story of true perseverance and redemption.
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
lobosloboslobos
RealGM

Post#251 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:32 pm

Topher wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:

no, but your post does

Also after lurking for years and years I signed up for realgm because of a thread you created. And then you never responded to my post

ha well i'm glad to hear i was responsible for luring someone else into this crazy place! sorry i didn't respond. don't remember what it was...
Topher
Lead Assistant

Post#252 » by Topher » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:33 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:
Topher wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:
no, but your post does

ha well i'm glad to hear i was responsible for luring someone else into this crazy place! sorry i didn't respond. don't remember what it was...

Hip hop thread. I recommended an artist
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,280

Post#253 » by raptorstime » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:04 am

if nigeria beats argentina.... oh my
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#254 » by Darknemo2000 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:26 am

raptorstime wrote:if nigeria beats argentina.... oh my

Thunk for Nigeria draw would be enough. Theres no chance Iceland can beat Croatia. Maybe draw. So that means that Nigeria only has to play it safe with argentina and they are through. Argentina has to win and score more than 3 goals to make suru that just in case if Iceland somehow by some miracle wins they would still stay ahead in goal difference.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,242

Post#255 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:55 am

big day for Germany, lets go.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#256 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Really like De Bruyne, kid can play.

Whatever happened to Adnaj Januzah tho? I remember the hype around that kid was massive, that first year he joined MU senior team, he was compared to Ronaldo, then I remember early in a year he scored 2 goals on Everton, Ronaldo comparisons became even stronger, but then I basically stopped following Football for few years, and I havent heard of him since.
Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,655

Post#257 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:38 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Really like De Bruyne, kid can play.

Whatever happened to Adnaj Januzah tho? I remember the hype around that kid was massive, that first year he joined MU senior team, he was compared to Ronaldo, then I remember early in a year he scored 2 goals on Everton, Ronaldo comparisons became even stronger, but then I basically stopped following Football for few years, and I havent heard of him since.

He's in Spain I think.

I always liked his skill on the ball but he always lowered the pace of the game down to a crawl and it was frustrating to watch.
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#258 » by Veggamattic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:28 pm

So I am a bit of a soccer fan...I have watched a good bit of most of the world cups since the 90's but it doesn't go much further than that. I like the sport but there are some fundamental problems with the rules that make the sport hard to respect.

The reason I don't like soccer and hockey are the same there are problems with the rules that spoil the outcome of games where often times the best team doesn't win.

Penalty kicks - If a foul takes place 1 inch inside the penalty box it is an almost certain goal, yet if that same infraction takes place 1 inch outside the box there is almost no chance of scoring. Move that penalty 10 yards outside the box and there is now a way better chance of scoring than if it was barely outside the box.

THIS IS ALL RIDICULOUS!!!!!!

If this goal was only worth a small scoring sample in a game like basketball it would be one thing and I would still hate it but because 1 goal is the average margin of victory in soccer this makes many of the game winners NOT the best team on the field and makes luck far to big a factor in the outcome.

Offsides are also odd and annoying...just the basic idea that you can't be ahead of the defender when the pass is made seems to be counter-intuitive to the way the game is played. When really young kids play do they even use this rule? I understand what it prevents but I think there has to be a better way to engineer this rule so that once again that 1 inch difference is not SO damn important to the outcome of the game.

There is also major problems with the amount of contact and grabbing that players get away with and the rules need to penalize this more but not so much that it messes up the fundamental natural of the outcomes like those other 2 rules do. Why not give penalties to remove players from the game for a few minutes like hockey does?

I also wonder why limit substitutions? It seems pointless and takes away from so many possibilities for interesting strategy moves. Again, why not do what hockey does and allow switches on the fly?

Soccer also needs higher scoring, closer to what hockey scores are, in order for it to be more likely that the better team wins and that a lucky goal is not what decides the game.

I could keep going but I think I've made my point...if you look at the 5 big sports....2 are always tweaking rules so that the game gets better...basketball and football...1 is pretty much perfect and doesn't need much change...baseball and 2 rarely change rules...soccer and hockey and tend to be very bound to tradition.

It can be very hard for some people to imagine change in what they are used to and this is where the problem rests. There are too many closed minded traditionalists that shoot down new ideas because change is too much for their cognitive dissonance to see past. Some things just make sense mathematically when it comes to creating the best rules as they do what rules are supposed to do and make sure the best team wins.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#259 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Veggamattic wrote:So I am a bit of a soccer fan...I have watched a good bit of most of the world cups since the 90's but it doesn't go much further than that. I like the sport but there are some fundamental problems with the rules that make the sport hard to respect.

The reason I don't like soccer and hockey are the same there are problems with the rules that spoil the outcome of games where often times the best team doesn't win.

Penalty kicks - If a foul takes place 1 inch inside the penalty box it is an almost certain goal, yet if that same infraction takes place 1 inch outside the box there is almost no chance of scoring. Move that penalty 10 yards outside the box and there is now a way better chance of scoring that if if was barely outside the box.

If this goal was only worth a small scoring sample in a game like basketball it would be one thing and I would still hate it but because 1 goal is the average margin of victory in soccer this makes many of the game winners NOT the best team on the field and makes luck far to big a factor in the outcome.

Offsides are also odd and annoying...just the basic idea that you can't be ahead of the defender when the pass is made seems to be counter-intuitive to the way the game is played. When really young kids play do they even use this rule? I understand what it prevents but I think there has to be a better way to engineer this rule so that once again that 1 inch difference is not SO damn important to the outcome of the game.

There is also major problems with the amount of contact and grabbing that players get away with and the rules need to penalize this more but not so much that it messes up the fundamental natural of the outcomes like those other 2 rules do. Why not give penalties to remove players from the game for a few minutes like hockey does?

I also wonder why limit substitutions? It seems pointless and takes away from so many possibilities for interesting strategy moves. Again, why not do what hockey does and allow switches on the fly?

Soccer also needs higher scoring, closer to what hockey scores are, in order for it to be more likely that the better team wins and that a lucky goal is not what decides the game.

I could keep going but I think I've made my point...if you look at the 5 big sports....2 are always tweaking rules so that the game gets better...basketball and football...1 is pretty much perfect and doesn't need much change...baseball and 2 rarely change rules...soccer and hockey and tend to be very bound to tradition.

It can be very hard for some people to imagine change in what they are used to and this is where the problem rests. There are too many closed minded traditionalists that shoot down new ideas because change is too much for their cognitive dissonance to see past. Some things just make sense mathematically when it comes to creating the best rules as they do what rules are supposed to do and make sure the best team wins.

I think thats why most people love this sport. Underdog always has a chance and pivotal moment can happen any time, after a single mistake. Makes game intense the whole unless its a blowout. Where in Basketball for example, I am huge basketball fan, but its a game opf trading baskets, you can always leave basketbal game for 5-10 minutes, and you wont miss much, while 5 any random minutes in Football can decide the whole. Thats way more exciting. Football is excited that way, no matter if you better, you cant make mistakes, and yes, there is a lot of luck involved. I am not the biggest fan of the sport, but I defeinitely see the appeal, and I think its all a strength, not a weakness.
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#260 » by Veggamattic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:59 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Veggamattic wrote:So I am a bit of a soccer fan...I have watched a good bit of most of the world cups since the 90's but it doesn't go much further than that. I like the sport but there are some fundamental problems with the rules that make the sport hard to respect.

Penalty kicks - If a foul takes place 1 inch inside the penalty box it is an almost certain goal, yet if that same infraction takes place 1 inch outside the box there is almost no chance of scoring. Move that penalty 10 yards outside the box and there is now a way better chance of scoring that if if was barely outside the box.

I think thats why most people love this sport. Underdog always has a chance and pivotal moment can happen any time, after a single mistake. Makes game intense the whole unless its a blowout. Where in Basketball for example, I am huge basketball fan, but its a game opf trading baskets, you can always leave basketbal game for 5-10 minutes, and you wont miss much, while 5 any random minutes in Football can decide the whole. Thats way more exciting. Football is excited that way, no matter if you better, you cant make mistakes, and yes, there is a lot of luck involved. I am not the biggest fan of the sport, but I defeinitely see the appeal, and I think its all a strength, not a weakness.

Saying a sport needs more luck to make it more interesting is never something you can convince me of. We clearly don't get bothered by the same things in sport. The last thing I want as a fan is for my team to loose and then have to sit back and say, Damn that wasn't fair! I love an underdog victory (I even had my underdog t-shirt on yesterday) but I don't want those type of wins.

Also, some of the things I mentioned could be changed and it still would give you something that would easily fit into what you seem to enjoy and still make the sport better.

Return to Toronto Raptors