ImageImageImageImageImage

FIFA World Cup of Soccer - from Basketball fan perspective

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,779

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: FIFA World Cup of Soccer - from Basketball fan perspective 

Post#161 » by UcanUwill » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:54 pm

gp2015 wrote:
SHFT wrote:
Darknemo2000 wrote:
It was I who said that, lol. And yeah I know that Aguero and others exist but again at 30 they will retire around the same time like Messi and without Messi they looked terrible. Di Maria's form is abysmal. Higuain still struggles to hit the ball into opposing teams goal and Aguero this season is plagued by injuries...

They are in tough spot. Dybala is a brighter spot but he lacks playing time and experience... Compared to that Ronaldo has much better squad in his portugal national team.
Yeah 100% portugal has a more cohesive and flowing team outside ronaldo than argentina do outside messi. And the future has some potential superstars for them.

They showed that in euros.

How about Mexico right now my goodness they are giving Germany some serious problems with their speed.

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app

Mexico's counter attack is ridiculous. Any time Germany makes a mistake or they get the ball back, they get a scoring opportunity.

Lozano si good, one of the best players in Eredivisie. Bound to leave for a better league soon.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,140

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: FIFA World Cup of Soccer - from Basketball fan perspective 

Post#162 » by gp2015 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:02 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
SHFT wrote:Yeah 100% portugal has a more cohesive and flowing team outside ronaldo than argentina do outside messi. And the future has some potential superstars for them.

They showed that in euros.

How about Mexico right now my goodness they are giving Germany some serious problems with their speed.

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app

Mexico's counter attack is ridiculous. Any time Germany makes a mistake or they get the ball back, they get a scoring opportunity.

Lozano si good, one of the best players in Eredivisie. Bound to leave for a better league soon.

It will probably be like James from last World Cup.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Re: FIFA World Cup of Soccer - from Basketball fan perspective 

Post#163 » by Jstock12 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:07 pm

Has the German coach scratched his crotch yet?

Spoiler:
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#164 » by Darknemo2000 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:33 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Has the German coach scratched his crotch yet?

Spoiler:

He will scratch everything and put it all to his mouth if score doesnt change soon.
Darknemo2000
Veteran

Post#165 » by Darknemo2000 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Yep. Mexico won. Wow. Really unexpected result. Germany looked pretty bad.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#166 » by lobosloboslobos » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:
in recent years...toronto raptors

jks

more realistically they'd be like Houston I think. proud history, high expectations, big stars, never win

having said that i think Messi will be at his best this year. got to match ronaldo!

What's the general opinion: Messi or Ronaldo as the true #1 best in the world?

Ronaldo easily.

More Champions League titles and more international trophies.

The only thing Messi has him beat in is more league titles. But that just means his team finished first place more than Ronaldo's. it's a no-pressure accolade. When it comes to tournaments (Champions League and international competition), Ronaldo is the superior player. Messi is only the better regular season player.

Messi couldn't even win a single Copa America (a much weaker competition than the Euros and with a MUCH better team than Ronaldo).

Soccer fans value league titles way too much. If the NBA was soccer, they would tell you that Derozan was better than Lebron this year because his team finished first in the regular season.

I think you value titles in general way too much. your whole analysis above of who is the better player is a list of who has won more titles. Both ronaldo and messi have played on stacked teams their whole lives be it at the club or national level, and to reduce the comparison to who has won more titles in an 11 on 11 game seems silly. i have no problem with someone arguing that ronaldo is better than messi, even though i disagree, but for you to argue that it ronaldo is 'easily' better than messi shows either bias or ignorance.

fyi a great article here in 538 today on Messi's unique approach to the game: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/messi-walks-better-than-most-players-run/
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,401

Re: RE: Re: FIFA World Cup of Soccer - from Basketball fan perspective 

Post#167 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:25 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:What's the general opinion: Messi or Ronaldo as the true #1 best in the world?

Ronaldo easily.

The only thing Messi has him beat in is more league titles. But that just means his team finished first place more than Ronaldo's. it's a no-pressure accolade. When it comes to tournaments (Champions League and international competition), Ronaldo is the superior player. Messi is only the better regular season player.

Messi couldn't even win a single Copa America (a much weaker competition than the Euros and with a MUCH better team than Ronaldo).

Soccer fans value league titles way too much. If the NBA was soccer, they would tell you that Derozan was better than Lebron this year because his team finished first in the regular season.

I think you value titles in general way too much. your whole analysis above of who is the better player is a list of who has won more titles. Both ronaldo and messi have played on stacked teams their whole lives be it at the club or national level, and to reduce the comparison to who has won more titles in an 11 on 11 game seems silly. i have no problem with someone arguing that ronaldo is better than messi, even though i disagree, but for you to argue that it ronaldo is 'easily' better than messi shows either bias or ignorance.

fyi a great article here in 538 today on Messi's unique approach to the game: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/messi-walks-better-than-most-players-run/

Portugal's quality has never even come close to Argentina's.

Even at the club level, yes Madrid is always stacked, but Messi played with **** Neymar and Suarez. That's GSW levels of stacked.

Ronaldo has simply done more with less.
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant
And1: 30,508

Post#168 » by Red Shoelace » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:40 pm

If you're a casual soccer fan and hate the disgraceful diving exhibitions then it is clear Messi > Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is a master class diver and Messi despite being smaller and less athletic always plays on.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Re: RE: Re: FIFA World Cup of Soccer - from Basketball fan perspective 

Post#169 » by lobosloboslobos » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:48 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Ronaldo easily.

Even at the club level, yes Madrid is always stacked, but Messi played with **** Neymar and Suarez. That's GSW levels of stacked.

Well, a matter of opinion but I disagree. Ronaldo plays with probably the richest and most dominant club team of his generation alongside many other superstars. Before that he played for Manchester United. And as for his national team, Ronaldo came up at the tail end of what is considered Portugal's 'golden generation' and made it to the semi-finals with them in 2006 when he was only 21. To say he has never played alongside great players is ridiculous. Again, you can certainly make a solid case that you think Ronaldo is better than Messi but not by arguing that he never played with great players. His teammates have included many legends at the top of their games. As have Messi's.

If you are a fan of the game you know as well as I do that you are in the minority in your opinion. Those who argue Messi is GOAT don't argue it on the basis of his team success but on the basis of his ability to do things on the field that nobody has else has ever been able to do. Ronaldo is truly great but many of his peers feel Messi is unique.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: FIFA World Cup of Soccer - from Basketball fan perspective 

Post#170 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:56 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:

Well, a matter of opinion but I disagree. Ronaldo plays with probably the richest and most dominant club team of his generation alongside many other superstars. Before that he played for Manchester United. And as for his national team, Ronaldo came up at the tail end of what is considered Portugal's 'golden generation' and made it to the semi-finals with them in 2006 when he was only 21. To say he has never played alongside great players is ridiculous. Again, you can certainly make a solid case that you think Ronaldo is better than Messi but not by arguing that he never played with great players. His teammates have included many legends at the top of their games. As have Messi's.

If you are a fan of the game you know as well as I do that you are in the minority in your opinion. Those who argue Messi is GOAT don't argue it on the basis of his team success but on the basis of his ability to do things on the field that nobody has else has ever been able to do. Ronaldo is truly great but many of his peers feel Messi is unique.

Ronaldo won his Euro title in 2016, far removed from Portugal's golden generation.

And Barcelona is every bit as rich as Madrid and Manchester United. They've also had better front end talent for many years.
Darknemo2000
Veteran

Post#171 » by Darknemo2000 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:10 pm

yeah but let me remind you what Euro finals were won without ronaldo. say what you want but this portugal side is certainly more talented than argentina's who without messi wouldnt be able to get to world cup from america cup at all.
theaub
Senior
And1: 993

Post#172 » by theaub » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:04 pm

And Ronaldo scored 15 of Portugal’s 32 goals in WCQ and they still only auto-qualified on differential so colour me pretty skeptical on their ability to qualify without him...
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#173 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:24 am

man the opening round of the WC has been better than any playoff series in the NBA in the last 4 years.

there I said it.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
RaptorHusky
Veteran
And1: 4,876

Post#174 » by RaptorHusky » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:08 am

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:man the opening round of the WC has been better than any playoff series in the NBA in the last 4 years.

there I said it.

Agree! I even suspect that it was ruled by betting companies. Big Vegas Conspiracy Theory, you see...
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#175 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:43 am

Darknemo2000 wrote:yeah but let me remind you what Euro finals were won without ronaldo. say what you want but this portugal side is certainly more talented than argentina's who without messi wouldnt be able to get to world cup from america cup at all.

Lolwut? Aguero? Di Maria? Dybala?

Aguero alone is another top-10 player.

Sure the rest of the team aren't world beaters, but neither is the rest of the Portugal team (they're even worse).
Darknemo2000
Veteran

Post#176 » by Darknemo2000 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:55 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Darknemo2000 wrote:yeah but let me remind you what Euro finals were won without ronaldo. say what you want but this portugal side is certainly more talented than argentina's who without messi wouldnt be able to get to world cup from america cup at all.

Sure the rest of the team aren't world beaters, but neither is the rest of the Portugal team (they're even worse).

Then how come that with these players and withoutrt Messi Argentina were facing early elimination on copa america, which is weaker than european one? You have to understand that Aguero's season is injury plagued and he struggles to find right form. Di Maria is even worse. And when you have no midfielders that can give your attacking force the ball upfront that attacking force looks empty, which is what happened to argentina. Portugal at least has relaible defenders and midfield. Argentina doesnt have that.

Their only chance is for Messi to go back low and take the ball and try to create from there with Aguero or Di Maria.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#177 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:58 am

Darknemo2000 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Then how come that with these players and withoutrt Messi Argentina were facing early elimination on copa america? You have to understand that Aguero's season is injury plagued and he struggles to find right form. Di Maria is even worse. And when you have no midfielders that can give your attacking force the ball upfront that attacking force looks empty, which is what happened to argentina. Portugal at least has relaible defenders and midfield. Argentina doesnt have that.

Their only chance is for Messi to go back low and take the ball and try to create from there with Aguero or Di Maria.

Name one player on Portugal better than Aguero or Di Maria.

And it doesn't matter if their games have fallen off now. Messi had a decade with these guys in their primes and still failed to win **** internationally. Copa America wasn't exactly hyper competitive over the last few tournaments either.
Darknemo2000
Veteran

Post#178 » by Darknemo2000 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:03 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Darknemo2000 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Then how come that with these players and withoutrt Messi Argentina were facing early elimination on copa america? You have to understand that Aguero's season is injury plagued and he struggles to find right form. Di Maria is even worse. And when you have no midfielders that can give your attacking force the ball upfront that attacking force looks empty, which is what happened to argentina. Portugal at least has relaible defenders and midfield. Argentina doesnt have that.

Name one player on Portugal better than Aguero or Di Maria.

Yet they have better solid players in all positions. Be it Pepe or Carvalho, Moutinho, Fernandes or Silva. They create a much better solid team throughout whole squad.

In argentina you have no solid players - yeah good ones in fron, but whats the point if thanks to **** midfield they rarely ever get the ball in dangerious position.
Darknemo2000
Veteran

Post#179 » by Darknemo2000 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:08 am

And yes they could have done better when they were in prime. But considering that Argentina finished second 4 years ago when all these guys were in their prime despite all the struggles in midfield and defense I consider it a pretty big achievement for such a disjointed team like argentina.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#180 » by Jstock12 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:59 am

Edit: nevermind, fake news!

Return to Toronto Raptors