ImageImageImageImageImage

7'0 12yo from Montreal strikes again

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,971

Re: 7'0 12yo from Montreal strikes again 

Post#41 » by MEDIC » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:09 am

frumble wrote:Toronto Star article from this morning on Rioux in general, and the video in particular:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/2018/06/19/12-year-old-from-montreal-whos-6-foot-10-catches-the-eyes-of-nba-players.html

Rioux’s father Jean-Francois is quick to point out the video is an anomaly. Olivier normally plays under-14 basketball for the Tornades de Longueuil, an AAA program in Longueuil, Que., and plays all season on 10-foot rims

“Everybody thinks he plays with low nets, with very small people all year long, and that’s not the case,” Jean-Francois said.

Rioux was invited by a French team, the Frenchy Phenoms, to play an international under-12 tournament in La Roda, Spain, which is where the viral video was shot.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#42 » by Hair Canada » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:47 pm

MEDIC wrote:
frumble wrote:Toronto Star article from this morning on Rioux in general, and the video in particular:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/2018/06/19/12-year-old-from-montreal-whos-6-foot-10-catches-the-eyes-of-nba-players.html

Rioux’s father Jean-Francois is quick to point out the video is an anomaly. Olivier normally plays under-14 basketball for the Tornades de Longueuil, an AAA program in Longueuil, Que., and plays all season on 10-foot rims

“Everybody thinks he plays with low nets, with very small people all year long, and that’s not the case,” Jean-Francois said.

Rioux was invited by a French team, the Frenchy Phenoms, to play an international under-12 tournament in La Roda, Spain, which is where the viral video was shot.

Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for bringing this.

Much of the dissing here is unfair. Partly because he does usually play with older guys on high nets. And partly because he really doesn't look that bad for his age and height. Compare him to how the 7'7 Robert Bobroczky looks like -- extremely thin and moves awkwardly. To be sure, Rioux is also quite far from being NBA mobile, but this does tend to get better with age.

I do agree though that it will be hard for him to get to the NBA, mainly because the game is completely moving away from the Roy Hibberts of the world -- very tall centers with limited skills, who stand in the middle and change shots.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#43 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:24 pm

I wonder how many less seven footers make the nba though. No exact numbers but the percentage of 7 footers who were north american and in their 20's was pretty staggeringly high compared to what most people would've guess IIRC. It's probably still pretty high. Anyways it seems like he moves at least ok, and can dribble it up the court a bit...the fact that he lost while playing on a 8 foot rim seems somewhat damning to his current dominance level though :P.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
kwamebargnani
General Manager
And1: 2,479

Post#44 » by kwamebargnani » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:38 am

He's probably not even gonna make it to college level.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#45 » by cruwinas » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:10 am

Ridiculous. He should be playing with some guys older than him, he has potential. His parents should be looking, if anything could become of him.
:crazy:
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#46 » by Jstock12 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:11 pm

How's his PnR defense? :lol:
jim rockford
RealGM
And1: 169

Post#47 » by jim rockford » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:42 pm

i was going to post about this kid.. that video is mesmerizing :) ...... is he really the same age as those other kids? they don't look 12 - although not sure how recent the video is?.... can he not get a waiver and play against older kids?

can't believe his team lost

i read a fascinating book about the #1 grade 7 player in the world. how he and his AAU coach were so fixated on maintaining that ranking and getting publicity at the neglect of everything else including getting better............. can't remember the player or book's name. but he played for arizona and i think his last name was walker. demetrius or something like that.
VCU! VCU! VCU!
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#48 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:22 am

Yeah I read that book as well. I think he grew like an inch after grade 8, he was physically developed at a very young age too and they exploited that fact. Can't remember the kids name either. Fairly indicting of how AAU works in youth bball.

Found name and article demtrius walker https://www.si.com/vault/2010/09/27/105987153/the-education-of-demetrius-walker

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot

Return to Toronto Raptors