ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai Ujiri Approval Rating June 21st, 2018

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Vote

Strongly Approve
21%
Approve
25%
Neutral
20%
Disapprove
18%
Strongly Disapprove
16%

Total votes: 301

SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Re: RE: Re: Masai Ujiri Approval Rating June 21st, 2018 

Post#81 » by SHFT » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:49 pm

bonjovi0308 wrote:
Tanner wrote:His last couple of years have been awful. Very good drafter but that’s about it.

I can’t get over trading a pick for Ibaka, then trading 2 picks with Carroll in part to get/stay under the tax for Ibaka. The complete unawareness that Ibaka was declining hard and not the player he used to be was a monumental failure. Then there was signing Carroll to begin with. And Norm. And bidding against himself for Lowry and Ibaka. It’s been one **** move after another, saved by existing talent and his good drafting.

I’m leaning towards disapprove because he’s no different than any other corporate stooge that MLSE will hire to run this team. He’s better than BC by a huge margin but when the goal is regular season success and playoff revenue, rather than winning titles, it doesn’t really matter who the GM/president is.

If he trades Ibaka and at least one of DD or Lowry (preferably DD) then he can recoup some of his stock but not holding my breath.

Whats the use of a good drafter and developer if he traded away all the picks and couldn't get any back?

Poeltl
Siakim
Delon
Norm

And to answer your question

FVV unsigned hype

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Re: Masai Ujiri Approval Rating June 21st, 2018 

Post#82 » by Danny1616 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:52 pm

Lock this thread up and re-post after free agency starts.
Knucknbuc
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,732

Post#83 » by Knucknbuc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:58 pm

I dont think masai gives a damn about his approval ratings on realgm by a bunch of wannabe amateur gms that think just because their fantasy raptors team on nba2k won the championship it's easy in real life.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,418

Post#84 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:00 pm

lol

why post this after the draft.

Let the guy make some moves first. We have 5 months
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,621

Post#85 » by ishoy123 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:04 pm

Knucknbuc wrote:I dont think masai gives a damn about his approval ratings on realgm by a bunch of wannabe amateur gms that think just because their fantasy raptors team on nba2k won the championship it's easy in real life.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

All you need to do is trade all your players for draft picks, draft the highest "potential" rating players, simulate a couple seasons forward and you have a championship!
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,500

Post#86 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:05 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:lol

In order to get an accurate read, you have to do this each month on the same day. Jan 1, Feb 1, March 1 etc. If you do these after something big happens or after nothing happens, people will react emotionally to what's happening in the present.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#87 » by RaptorsNorth » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Did I not say I would be here to laugh at the guys that were expecting trades smh wake up!!!
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#88 » by RaptorsNorth » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:15 pm

if they were ever going to get anything for lowry or demar it was at the draft. if you think any team is going to give up their star player for lowry or demar you're fooling yourself. If masai was really going to make a major move he would have traded them for high draft picks but you guys can keep wasting your time waiting.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#89 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:32 pm

I thought he had a pretty bad off-season last year and they got better. It's hard to rate him on spec moves, because things seem to work out for him.

I do think he and Webster are looking sloppy right now. They wanted to trade last night, at three different points in the draft, and they weren't the ones that said no. Personally I think they should buck up and pay the tax. The fans have been loyal, too loyal, in some cases. Last night I was disappointed, but mostly because the most successful arm of Ujiri's management team the last few years is the scouting department. You should want to invest more heavily in those guys, because they're covering up for the lack of return on investment from some of the bigger contracts.
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#90 » by pkiskool » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:44 pm

junot111 wrote:
bonjovi0308 wrote:I think we would be much better off if Masai:
1) Kept Ross and all the picks given up for Ibaka;
2) Kept Carroll and the pick;
3) Didn't sign Corey Joseph and offered more playing time to Wright;
4) Fired Casey years ago and promoted Nurse to hc
And no I'm not talking on hindsight, because I didn't accuse him for Powell's contract extension.
His slow process is really annoying, when some causal fans had already spotted where this team was going years before...

1) Cause Ross is playing out of his mind in Orlando?
2) Cause Carroll and the 29th pick would have stopped LeBron and brought this team a championship?
3) Cause Cory Joseph played poorly here and no teams wanted to trade for him? Cause Wright was completely killing it in his rookie season and not being labelled a bust by Masai critics?
4) Cause Casey didn't coach the team to its most successful seasons in franchise history (including playoffs) and everyone knew who Nurse was years ago?

Yall are delusional.

1) No, but Ibaka isn't exactly out performing Ross either. Then there's those picks.
2) Carroll staying may have stopped Norm resigning. Carroll then would expire quicker than current Norm contract.
3) Co Jo signing was needed so no argument here.
4) I think he should have been gone after Washington series. It was a nice treadmill ride after that.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,418

Post#91 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:48 pm

RaptorsNorth wrote:

if they were ever going to get anything for lowry or demar it was at the draft. if you think any team is going to give up their star player for lowry or demar you're fooling yourself. If masai was really going to make a major move he would have traded them for high draft picks but you guys can keep wasting your time waiting.

no, you dont know that. it could happen during FA and further in off-season.

Raps can stay patient. Let's see where Lebron goes before we make any drastic core moves.
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,255

Post#92 » by SurgeIblocka » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:53 pm

If Masai trades for Wiggins by sending out lowry and miles he will cement himself as the worst GM we had. He has no idea of how to build a contender. Sure give up your two best 3pt shooters for chuckers for the sake of making a trade. Has no idea how to build a contender in this modern NBA. Well see , im seeing multiple tweets and proposals from different sites of a lowry for wiggins trade. Could only happen July 6th when Wiggins new contract kicks in
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,790

Post#93 » by Michael Jordan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:56 pm

WOW that's a very divided poll, 50/50
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,429

Post#94 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:59 pm

DrCoach wrote:He is e GM of the best teams in Raptors history.

Everything else is just noise

A

Agreed, he is.

That doesn't mean he's great or even good. It just means he's better than the rest.
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#95 » by bringbackhoffa » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:03 pm

Why Masai he's not even the GM, it bobby Webster u should be polling

Sent from The Process Network using RealGM mobile app
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,626

Post#96 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:07 pm

SurgeIblocka wrote:If Masai trades for Wiggins by sending out lowry and miles he will cement himself as the worst GM we had. He has no idea of how to build a contender. Sure give up your two best 3pt shooters for chuckers for the sake of making a trade. Has no idea how to build a contender in this modern NBA. Well see , im seeing multiple tweets and proposals from different sites of a lowry for wiggins trade. Could only happen July 6th when Wiggins new contract kicks in

I don't think you are actually seeing anything reputable or anything with sources indicating the Raptors are going to (or even thinking about) trading Lowry for Wiggins, which is probably why you didn't include any links and just ranted about it instead.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,843

Post#97 » by JShuttlesworth » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:08 pm

I'll be upset if we go into the 18/19 season with the same roster we had last year. A couple undrafted signings won't cut it. There has to be a trade made.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#98 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:16 pm

In 5yrs, what's Masai's best move?

Bargnani for #8 Poeltl
OG who fell due to injury
FVV, undrafted pickup

What has he done to improve the starting rotation that was handed to him?.

Carroll - signed to a big contract, didn't play for most of a 50 win season. Had to use the 2018 pick to remove him
Ibaka - traded Ross & first for a declining player who 1st crashed the Magic, resigned him to a big contract, can't move him
OG - still potential

Masai is getting full credit for putting depth around BC's core & to top it off, that depth was built by using value built by the disgraced GM. Gays trade, Bargnani trade, Ross trade. All inherited value

People keep saying BC's core is flawed but in the same breath say Masai built a better team by sticking with it.

LMAO.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#99 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:24 pm

Whole Truth wrote:In 5yrs, what's Masai's best move?

Bargnani for #8 Poeltl
OG who fell due to injury
FVV, undrafted pickup

What has he done to improve the starting rotation that was handed to him?.

Carroll - signed to a big contract, didn't play for most of a 50 win season. Had to use 2018 pick to remove him
Ibaka - traded Ross & first for a declining player who 1st crashed the Magic, resigned him to a big contract, can't move him
OG - still potential

Masai is getting full credit for putting depth around BC's core & to top it off, that depth was built by using value built by the disgraced GM. Gays trade, Bargnani trade, Ross trade. All inherited value

People keep saying BC's core is flawed but in the same breath say Masai built a better team by sticking with it.

LMAO.

Every GM gets inherited value, though. That's a weak starting point for an argument. It's irrefutable that he's done well with what he's had. It's arguable that he's made enough mistakes to limit our flexibility to get better. We're all nitpicking, though. One team has won 3/5 titles available in his time here and one player has represented the East in all of them. He's failed as much as everyone. The only thing we can really do is debate the future.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,429

Post#100 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:25 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:I thought he had a pretty bad off-season last year and they got better. It's hard to rate him on spec moves, because things seem to work out for him.

I do think he and Webster are looking sloppy right now. They wanted to trade last night, at three different points in the draft, and they weren't the ones that said no. Personally I think they should buck up and pay the tax. The fans have been loyal, too loyal, in some cases. Last night I was disappointed, but mostly because the most successful arm of Ujiri's management team the last few years is the scouting department. You should want to invest more heavily in those guys, because they're covering up for the lack of return on investment from some of the bigger contracts.

I agree. Last offseason was pretty brutal but this one is going to be the most telling.

Masai is far from a bad GM. As much as a critique him, he isn't bad. His strengths are in the draft and in trades.

However, his flaws are pretty big as well - he is VERY, VERY slow to make moves/changes and I think he lacks a clear direction. Both of these issues are kind of intertwined. Before I call his lack of direction "his flaw", we might have to read between the lines and look at management. That Carroll signing was bad before the ink even touched the paper. He was a system role player coming off a great season and an injury. I think even amateurs could have told you it was a bad idea. Two seasons later, he's traded for a first and second round pick... then we instill a system of ball movement?? Right after paying to offload a guy that we saw flourish in that system?? Why? Just to save MLSE money. This was very clearly not in the best interest oi the team. This was in the best interest of MLSE.

Oh and that money we saved on the Carroll trade? We used it to outbid ourselves for Ibaka and overpay Powell who is beginning a 4yr/$40M deal this summer and is out of the rotation.

At this point, whether they have a firesale of our vets and rebuild or get more vets to compete, I don't even care anymore. Just pick a direction and go hard in that direction. If the goal is to compete, let's go get Gasol or someone who's good enough to at least try to take us to the next level. CJ Miles isn't good enough to do that. If we're going to go through the draft, let's take chances on the right high upside guys. Let's buy picks. Let's trade into the draft. The most frustrating thing about this franchise and/or management is they teeter-totter too much which in turn wastes time, money, player's prime etc. Look at Boston. They were better than us, worse than us and better than us again in the same 5 years we've been riding this Lowry-DeRozan core.

Now I'm not sure whether this is because of Masai or MLSE but since Masai is the President and claims to have full autonomy, I'm going to put the blame on him. When you add to the fact that his tenure in Denver was very similar (decent pieces, decent picks, overachieving team that never went anywhere and a few overpaid contracts) and the trend seems to suggest this is who he is OR the Nuggets and Raps management have similar goals. One or the other. Or both.

He's GM that owners love because he makes them money but he doesn't make teams that compete at the highest level. He'll never be out of a job in the NBA though, that's for sure. But he'l also never build a winner. Whether that's his fault or not, we'll never know. He'll never come out and say he's being instructed by management because they cut his cheque at the end of the day and won't throw his employer under the bus publicly.

and there you have, the Toronto Raptors.

Return to Toronto Raptors