ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NBA General Discussion 2018

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Official NBA General Discussion 2018 

Post#1 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:16 pm

For all your general NBA discussion needs.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,790

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2018 Offseason Part 1 

Post#2 » by Michael Jordan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:20 pm

On June 26, 2014, ESPN commentator Fran Fraschilla famously proclaimed that Raptors draftee Bruno Caboclo was 2 years away from being 2 years away. Today, he is ready.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#3 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:54 pm

95% Lebron and PG to LA is happening. Probably means we roll it back
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,428

Post#4 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:33 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:95% Lebron and PG to LA is happening. Probably means we roll it back

Yep
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#5 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:41 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:95% Lebron and PG to LA is happening. Probably means we roll it back

Yep

Looks like i was wrong already. PG might be staying

Read on Twitter

Lakers are chasing Kawhi and Lebron instead
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#6 » by Son Goku 25 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:00 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:

Yep

Looks like i was wrong already. PG might be staying

Read on Twitter

Lakers are chasing Kawhi and Lebron instead

even better
Read
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#7 » by gerrit4 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:23 pm

I think it's looking pretty clear that no significant trades (especially raptor related) until some of the major dominoes fall. Lebron Free agency, Kawhi trade (if it happens this summer), Paul George, Boogie. If we are going to move a big money player (Demar, Serge, Lowry), then any team will want to wait until most of that is settled. If for instance, LA or Philly has interest in Demar/Kyle, there's absolutely no chance they even pick up the phone until they know that they can't get Kawhi.

One thing though to keep in mind - there could actually be some really good players available for the MLE this year. Our roster is very deep right now, and in the tax (so an MLE signing doesn't really make sense with the current roster), but if we do move some pieces and clear up enough space, there could be a bargain available once the dust settles. For instance, if we were to move Demar, maybe we could get Avery Bradly on a cheap deal? Or if we were to trade JV (doubtful), a guy like Nerlens could probably be had for the MLE.

As it stands right now, we don't have the minutes or room under the tax to realistically sign a mid level player of note, but if there are moves to open up space, then we'd probably be able to fill any holes pretty well.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,583

Post#8 » by Syd-TK3 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:40 pm

The LeBron part is true i have little doubts he doesn't go to the Lakers whether it's kawhi or PG that joins him who knows.

As someone who hopes we trade the core guys and rebuild I'm down for whichever situation helps that
UneducatedFan86
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,590

Post#9 » by UneducatedFan86 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:35 pm

I get the allure of LA... but I don't see how Lebron goes there and gets enough talent around him to be competitive in the West. The Lakers would have to gut all their young assets to trade for another player or two, and then they would have to hope to sign guys to decent deals to round out the rest of the roster.

If he stays in the East and goes to a team that has established talent already, then he'll be in better shape to at least make it to the Finals instead of running into the WCF wall that the Warriors have become.
InfraRedshaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 757

Post#10 » by InfraRedshaw » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:47 pm

I keep trying to sell myself on the idea LeBron doesn't want that direct comparison to Kobe that will be there if he joins the Lakers.
What do y'all think of that slant?
All the news saying he's headed there makes me feel like it might be time to look for a new one.
Just 8* years ago Andrea Bargnani was my franchise player, you MF'ers can't rain on my parade
kingcns187
Senior
And1: 648

Post#11 » by kingcns187 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:50 pm

Lebron is not going to LA. Why would he leave the East.

He is staying in the WasteLand
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#12 » by navyblue » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:14 pm

this little nugget in bobby marks article today was interesting.

Note: The Celtics cannot acquire a player like Anthony Davis because of the Rose rule. Boston is only allowed to trade for one player (Kyrie Irving) that was signed with the Rose rule.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23529024/biggest-nba-free-agency-trade-extension-decisions-every-team
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#13 » by XxIronChainzxX » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:49 pm

UneducatedFan86 wrote:I get the allure of LA... but I don't see how Lebron goes there and gets enough talent around him to be competitive in the West. The Lakers would have to gut all their young assets to trade for another player or two, and then they would have to hope to sign guys to decent deals to round out the rest of the roster.

If he stays in the East and goes to a team that has established talent already, then he'll be in better shape to at least make it to the Finals instead of running into the WCF wall that the Warriors have become.

Same. I just don't see why LeBron wants to potentially lose in the 2nd round or WCF going against the Rockets and Warriors both instead of staying in the East. I guess if he thinks Philly and Boston both grow and he's not on either of them it would look worse? But IMO if he goes Philly he's probably got the best team in the East again.
PHANTOMPHOENIX
Head Coach
And1: 1,074

Post#14 » by PHANTOMPHOENIX » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:54 pm

navyblue wrote:this little nugget in bobby marks article today was interesting.

Note: The Celtics cannot acquire a player like Anthony Davis because of the Rose rule. Boston is only allowed to trade for one player (Kyrie Irving) that was signed with the Rose rule.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23529024/biggest-nba-free-agency-trade-extension-decisions-every-team

I assume they can trade Irving away and then trade for Davis?
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#15 » by nabbs » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:30 pm

I’m sure he wants to win again but that’s not his number 1 priority. His family and life after basketball have just as much priority. He is 100% going to LA

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#16 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:34 pm

What is the chance PG stays put.
Credits to Jstock12
UneducatedFan86
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by UneducatedFan86 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:18 am

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
UneducatedFan86 wrote:I get the allure of LA... but I don't see how Lebron goes there and gets enough talent around him to be competitive in the West. The Lakers would have to gut all their young assets to trade for another player or two, and then they would have to hope to sign guys to decent deals to round out the rest of the roster.

Same. I just don't see why LeBron wants to potentially lose in the 2nd round or WCF going against the Rockets and Warriors both instead of staying in the East. I guess if he thinks Philly and Boston both grow and he's not on either of them it would look worse? But IMO if he goes Philly he's probably got the best team in the East again.

My thoughts exactly.

If he goes to Philly, he could go there without them even giving up any major assets due to their cap space. Boston has so many assets that he could go there in an S&T and their main core wouldn't be touched. He would be almost guaranteed to go to the Finals for the length of his next contract.

LA has no established core and is basically a pipe dream at the moment. They COULD sign PG or trade for Kawhi but that is hardly a guarantee at the moment.
UneducatedFan86
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by UneducatedFan86 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:27 am

Read on Twitter

I have no clue what Dallas is doing. Are they trying to compete or rebuild?

It will be interesting if the Mavs become buyers. Or if Clippers become sellers, maybe we can go after Harris.
PHANTOMPHOENIX
Head Coach
And1: 1,074

Post#19 » by PHANTOMPHOENIX » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:48 am

UneducatedFan86 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I have no clue what Dallas is doing. Are they trying to compete or rebuild?

It will be interesting if the Mavs become buyers. Or if Clippers become sellers, maybe we can go after Harris.

The Mavs are trying to compete. Cuban being Cuban. Unlike most teams in their position that would try to continue to accumulate young talent, they are going to roll the dice and go all in. :-?
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#20 » by howlin mad axer » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:54 am

I'm pretty sure LeBron is staying in Cleveland. He went through the pain of being hated by most people in his state, he knows what that's like and doesn't want to feel that way again. He probably only went back to Cleveland so that he could return to Akron and his home state. Now he seems to have moved his family to LA so it is possible he is just going to leave home and never come back. They will likely burn his jersey and the likes as they did last time. It's tough only because he wants to be able to go home, but he also doesn't want to be metaphorically held hostage in Ohio.

Return to Toronto Raptors