ImageImageImageImageImage

Demar Vents Frustration About Loyalty

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,783
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Re: Demar Vents Frustration About Loyalty 

Post#441 » by Boogie! » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:30 am

Rhythm043 wrote:Still don't get how Kawai is a "superstar". Is it because he won a championship with that very good team. He only averaged like 15 per game the year they won. He's a great player ok but superstar? If this guy can't get us any further than DeMar I hope this superstar label is dropped. They basically dropped DeMar for nothing if this guy plays one year and bolts.

Do me a favor go to basketball reference look up kawhi playoff numbers then look at demars.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#442 » by Vlade Divac » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:43 am

Rhythm043 wrote:This trade was dumb by the raptors it’s a one year rental and you traded the most loyal player you’re going to get to try to get through the east to just come up against the warriors in the finals. This is just ridiculous. Will never see a guy like DeMar in this city again.

That is exactly what we want! No more guys of DeRozan quality for max money ever again!
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#443 » by Volcano » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:46 am

DD has every right to be unhappy, but he needs to eventually realize that sh-t happens and circumstances change. NBA is about producing results..players don't get millions of dollars due to loyalty. If teams can get better at your expense, then it'll happen. I'm sure when DeMar said his wedding vows, he meant it at the time, but then he encountered better Brazilian booty.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,799

Post#444 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:21 am

Ujiri was in Africa, right? I wonder which Raptor exec was in Vegas. Either Nurse or Webster.
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#445 » by Rhythm043 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:40 am

Boogie! wrote:
Rhythm043 wrote:Still don't get how Kawai is a "superstar". Is it because he won a championship with that very good team. He only averaged like 15 per game the year they won. He's a great player ok but superstar? If this guy can't get us any further than DeMar I hope this superstar label is dropped. They basically dropped DeMar for nothing if this guy plays one year and bolts.

Do me a favor go to basketball reference look up kawhi playoff numbers then look at demars.

Let's see what happens this season then bro and revisit. Hopefully you are right
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Re: RE: Re: Demar Vents Frustration About Loyalty 

Post#446 » by SHFT » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:56 am

The Boy wrote:
maternal85 wrote:
The Boy wrote:Raptors needed to handle shipping Demar out with kid gloves and they blew it.
No star will stay here past their second contract ever again..if we get so lucky.

Relax, it's not that serious. The same way Lebron would never return to the cavs after the owner bashed him and his family ? Raptor fans are drama queens I swear. At least lets hear the organization side of the story. Maybe they're typing a thank you letter as we speak.
Sports agents/agencies are making a note of this. You can guarantee that.
You think an agent will tell his client anything other than to look out for himself? Even when players take a paycut....its so the team can sign better talent.

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,783
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#447 » by Boogie! » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:01 am

Rhythm043 wrote:
Boogie! wrote:

Let's see what happens this season then bro and revisit. Hopefully you are right

Kawhi has stepped up his performance in the playoffs literally every season compared to that respective regular season... It's a consistent pattern... Wtf an I hoping for? It's not like he's **** up and down... Go look at his **** numbers again... If u dort think he's a significant upgrade over DeMar you should go joint he spurs board a nd root for your boy over there.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#448 » by Rhythm043 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:09 am

Boogie! wrote:
Rhythm043 wrote:
Boogie! wrote:

Kawhi has stepped up his performance in the playoffs literally every season compared to that respective regular season... It's a consistent pattern... Wtf an I hoping for? It's not like he's **** up and down... Go look at his **** numbers again... If u dort think he's a significant upgrade over DeMar you should go joint he spurs board a nd root for your boy over there.

Im hoping, no one said you were. You mental? Check yourself in with your spazz out attack. Lol loonatic
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#449 » by XxIronChainzxX » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:10 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:How on Earth are you guys killing DeMar for being in his feelings? The Raptors have him everything, he didn't ask for it. They made him the number 1 option when he wasn't worthy, again he never asked for that. He got comfortable with that. It's human man.

Why do Raptor fans always gotta kill guys who leave? WE GOT KAWHI **** LEONARD, WE SHOULD BE CELEBRATING IN THE STREETS.

Yet y'all wanna spend your time dumping on DeMar. Raptor fans confuse me man.

Cause these players **** on the franchise when they do it. Carroll did it. Bosh did it. DD is doing it.

LMAOOOOOO what did DeMar say that's even remotely comparable to those guys? That there's no loyalty? That's just a fact lol

It's not. The franchise was irrationally loyal to DeMar, and treated him as the best player on this team since they had traded Gay even though he was never on that level (and for the first two or so years was just bad).
VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

Post#450 » by VinBaker6 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:21 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:
Cause these players **** on the franchise when they do it. Carroll did it. Bosh did it. DD is doing it.

LMAOOOOOO what did DeMar say that's even remotely comparable to those guys? That there's no loyalty? That's just a fact lol

It's not. The franchise was irrationally loyal to DeMar, and treated him as the best player on this team since they had traded Gay even though he was never on that level (and for the first two or so years was just bad).

Again, he didn't ask for any of that!

Raptor fans just can't let go even when they get a vastly superior player in return.

S/O to TZ!
curryking3
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,994

Post#451 » by curryking3 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:19 pm

I have no no problem with Demar expressing these feelings. No matter what circumstances he left in or complained about at time of leaving, I have no problem with it.

He bled Toronto and Canada blood for 9 years. No matter the circumstance, even if he wasn't told that he was staying, no issues at all if he is upset. Just makes me respect him more for how much he wanted to stay.

Greatest of all Raptors and despite difficulties you know he never did anything less than his very best for this team and city and country. Canadian Patriot.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#452 » by Joker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:00 pm

Chandan wrote:
Joker wrote:It always rubbed me the wrong way that Demar hoped/expected/assumed he'd play out his whole (15+ season?) career here. A little delusional, presumptuous on his part.

Having a 15+ year career with one franchise only is reserved for the HOF'ers. And Udonis Haslem. But I don't think Demar's cool with taking Udonis's minutes/role/salary.

To think that a franchise would keep you for your whole career, you better be on the level of Kobe, Dirk, Duncan or John Stockton. To a lesser degree, Reggie Miller and Manu Ginobili, but Miller is still a HOF'er and playoff legend, and Manu won 4 titles and is certainly going to the HOF. Is Demar seriously putting himself in that class of player??

I share a similar sentiment. I personally don't fault him for having aspiration to be a legend, even given his natural talent, it's his right to wanting to be a all time great. After all, Rome wasn't built in one day.

However, the thing that rubbed me the wrong way is that from day one the rhetoric has always been: He can become the greatest player of a franchise because he plays in Toronto. It's like seizing an empty throne.
There is no simplier path to becoming a great because the recipe was already set: just play his entire career north of the border and say all the right things and he will be Maple Jordan.

Even now, most of the praise we get from the appreciation thread is that he is classy, he is a nice guy, he embraced the city, he was loyal... Seldom you will hear how great he played for us and what a great player he was.

1000%.

What other organization in the league retains long-term loyalty to their star based on the star's happiness and classiness, in spite of sustained playoff underachievement? :lol:
Joker
RealGM

Post#453 » by Joker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Boogie! wrote:

Or just look at MVP voting and who was on the first team all-nba in Kawhi's last two healthy seasons, as well.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#454 » by XxIronChainzxX » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:03 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:

Again, he didn't ask for any of that!

Raptor fans just can't let go even when they get a vastly superior player in return.

He basked it in. He's personally profited from it. And he took a shot at the franchise at a critical moment due to it.

We're in a tight spot with Kawhi even showing up. DD being a bitter ex is an issue. We need that vastly superior player to play and shots from DD at Masai et al are hugely damaging.
Joker
RealGM

Post#455 » by Joker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:05 pm

Chandan wrote:
However, the thing that rubbed me the wrong way is that from day one the rhetoric has always been: He can become the greatest player of a franchise because he plays in Toronto. It's like seizing an empty throne.
There is no simplier path to becoming a great because the recipe was already set: just play his entire career north of the border and say all the right things and he will be Maple Jordan.

To elaborate on the rubbing me the wrong way vibe --- it gives it a bit of an opportunistic, manipulative feel. Understanding the history of insecurity and doubt with the organization/fanbase, and knowing EXACTLY what buttons to push to curry favour and impose your long-term status with the franchise. We can see those buttons that were pushed now with all of the fans saying "he was so classy, so loyal, only star who wanted to be here, only star who repped the city so well, etc."

If we had drafted Lebron or Durant and they were saying all of this, I wouldn't be as dubious about it, but when it's someone of Demar's caliber -- a 16 PER playoff player -- it's just slightly odd/delusional.
v1n5anity
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,059

Post#456 » by v1n5anity » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:11 pm

I wonder if he'll take shots at us in his presscon. Looks like he unfollowed the Raptors IG account.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,743

Post#457 » by VanWest82 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:12 pm

Only a "gap in communication" Demar. Still loyalty.
JD225
Analyst
And1: 341

Post#458 » by JD225 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:16 pm

I don't mind Demar being upset and venting. What I mind is the media outlets trying to push this narrative. It speaks more about Demar's shortcomings as a player than Masai as a GM to bring this up. Teams don't trade the face of their franchise for a one year rental. It looks bad, but when you have very little positive net impact on your team every year you've been in the league... you (or at least the more observant fans) should expect no loyalty. Time to move on.
HOOOMAN
Starter
And1: 3,186

Post#459 » by HOOOMAN » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:28 pm

does anybody have the feeling that demar loved this team so much because he could literally take a big fat dump on the court in the playoffs and he would constantly get a pass from the majority of the fans, management and reporters?
HOOOMAN
Starter
And1: 3,186

Post#460 » by HOOOMAN » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:29 pm

JD225 wrote:. Teams don't trade the face of their franchise for a one year rental. It looks bad, but when you have very little positive net impact on your team every year you've been in the league... you (or at least the more observant fans) should expect no loyalty. Time to move on.

id say it looks worse to have a franchise player be someone who is not deserving of the position

Return to Toronto Raptors