ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps get Kawhi Leonard, Green for DeRozan, Poeltl, 1st (top 20 protected) V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

BVB24
Veteran
And1: 6,035

Re: Raps get Kawhi Leonard, Green for DeRozan, Poeltl, 1st (top 20 protected) V2.0 

Post#181 » by BVB24 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:41 am

Read on Twitter
marcwagz
Senior
And1: 193

Re: Raps get Kawhi Leonard, Green for DeRozan, Poeltl, 1st (top 20 protected) V2.0 

Post#182 » by marcwagz » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:44 am

Scott Hall wrote:
Kawhi when healthy is a top 5 player... Tavares is in the 7-20 range depending on the year. I believe
he's finished 2nd or 3rd a couple of times in MVP voting (Hart Trophy)

The thing with Tavares is he's been surrounded by scrubs and actually made them a lot better
he could blow up on the Leafs playing with a lot better talent around him and could be a top
5 player.

Good thing about Tavares and Kawhi is they're both 27

In the leafs case its arguable whether Matthews or Tavares is better so it isn't as big a deal how good they are in comparison to the rest of the league.
2 top ten players on your team in any league is a good combo.
omar36
Analyst
And1: 4,708

Post#183 » by omar36 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:59 am

marcwagz wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Kawhi when healthy is a top 5 player... Tavares is in the 7-20 range depending on the year. I believe
he's finished 2nd or 3rd a couple of times in MVP voting (Hart Trophy)

The thing with Tavares is he's been surrounded by scrubs and actually made them a lot better
he could blow up on the Leafs playing with a lot better talent around him and could be a top
5 player.

Good thing about Tavares and Kawhi is they're both 27

In the leafs case its arguable whether Matthews or Tavares is better so it isn't as big a deal how good they are in comparison to the rest of the league.
2 top ten players on your team in any league is a good combo.

the fact kadri whose a shutdown forward with b2b 30+ goals is now the 3rd line center. their top 9 is just ridiculous
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,485

Post#184 » by Bankai » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:26 am

If you are thinking with your head, this was a great trade.
If you are thinking with your heart, this was a bad trade.

The thing is, more games are won on paper and through analytics which this Front Office has always valued very highly. At the end of the day, the Raptors are trying to win. In a Star Driven League, bigger Stars matter more. Enough said.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,235

Post#185 » by PhilBlackson » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:41 am

Bankai wrote:If you are thinking with your head, this was a great trade.

The thing is, more games are won on paper and through analytics which this Front Office has always valued very highly. At the end of the day, the Raptors are trying to win. In a Star Driven League, bigger Stars matter more. Enough said.

Nah both feel great!

It doesn't mean that I don't feel for DeMar or wish him the best, couldn't be further from the truth but equally the truth was that this was going nowhere.

People are acting like he got played like IT or Blake smh...

The reality is we were loyal with him when people laughed at us from the day we lost to the Nets and then got absolutely humiliated by the Wizards. We could VERY easily walked away but instead we rewarded him with a max contract and gave him another 2 years to "proveem", he failed again and again BADLY...I don't totally blame him for it despite his numbers quite clearly plummeting every Playoffs but he just wasn't that guy, he wasn't a legit superstar in this league. We had to move on and it wasn't like we sent him to go play in SAC for crying out loud.

So yes logically it makes sense and my head says it's a great trade and I haven't been this excited for a Raptor season since Vince Carter played here so my heart is actually into this season and while it would have been nice for DeMar to be a part of this unfortunately that's not how it worked out but I don't feel bad about sending an inadequate player to a destination that can arguably only help him get better albeit while he's paid mountains of cash.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
planetmars
Sixth Man
And1: 1,437

Post#186 » by planetmars » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:47 am

It really does floor me that so many people are upset/sad/etc . It was literally like 2 weeks ago where people were calling for Masai's head. He's a "trust fund baby". He's "evaluating". Sitting on his hands. Spending more time in Africa on his charity than doing his job in Toronto.

He made this team better.. and that's exactly what we as fans should want. We are cheering for the team right? Players come and go.. but the City and the Team are constant.

We have Kawhi Fricken Leonard now. In his prime! Even if it's for one year.. this season is going to be so much damn fun to watch. I can't wait until October.. and April is going to be a blast.

My heart is in great shape. Never felt better.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,566

Post#187 » by Fairview4Life » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:35 am

Bulltalk wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:Holy **** thank you so much!

He's probably the best perimeter defensive player in NBA history.

Scottie Pippen.

Was almost as good as Kawhi Leonard.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#188 » by Joker » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:17 am

pippen would make perimeter players work really hard but Kawhi’s wingspan/handsize allow him to do some freaky things on the perimeter pippen couldn’t do.

Kawhi just takes the ball away from you like you’re his little brother.
KRANG
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,319

Post#189 » by KRANG » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:21 am

I am a little concerned that Kawhi has only played in more than 70 games twice in his career.

That's a lot of missed games.
Courtesy of Turbo_Zone
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#191 » by Inevitable » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:44 am

KRANG wrote:I am a little concerned that Kawhi has only played in more than 70 games twice in his career.

For Kawhi aside from last year, you have to take into account Greg Popovich rested him and his other players a lot.
Jon_3232
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,942

Post#192 » by Jon_3232 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:17 am

KRANG wrote:I am a little concerned that Kawhi has only played in more than 70 games twice in his career.

Some missed games mixed with quite a few “rests”
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,329

Post#193 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:21 am

Read on Twitter
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,740

Post#194 » by And1Skip » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:32 am

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/mike_finger/article/In-DeRozan-Spurs-find-a-star-easier-to-read-13094493.php

Wow, are you kidding me San Antonio? Blaming Kawhi’s personality that he wasn’t that big of a star just bc he forgot a reporter’s name? Yes DeRozan is miles better to the media than Kawhi but there’s no need to be bitter about Kawhi’s exit like that. This is one of the stupidest articles I’ve ever read.

Kawhi’s gonna be a huge superstar here. We fans will guarantee it. Our 6.5 million people in the GTA and more across Canada will ensure it happens. He will open up more because we won’t be upset that he’s doesn’t talk much. I hope Nike and Jordan Brand are rethinking of their relationship with Kawhi now he’s in Toronto (he rejected a $20M extension with Jordan Brand bc Uncle Dennis thinks he deserves more). Toronto is the only other city that has an Air Jordan store bc Jordan and Nike knows this market potential is huge in Toronto.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#195 » by Boogie! » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:42 am

PhilBlackson wrote:

Nah both feel great!

It doesn't mean that I don't feel for DeMar or wish him the best, couldn't be further from the truth but equally the truth was that this was going nowhere.

The reality is we were loyal with him when people laughed at us from the day we lost to the Nets and then got absolutely humiliated by the Wizards. We could VERY easily walked away but instead we rewarded him with a max contract and gave him another 2 years to "proveem", he failed again and again BADLY...I don't totally blame him for it despite his numbers quite clearly plummeting every Playoffs but he just wasn't that guy, he wasn't a legit superstar in this league. We had to move on and it wasn't like we sent him to go play in SAC for crying out loud.

So yes logically it makes sense and my head says it's a great trade and I haven't been this excited for a Raptor season since Vince Carter played here so my heart is actually into this season and while it would have been nice for DeMar to be a part of this unfortunately that's not how it worked out but I don't feel bad about sending an inadequate player to a destination that can arguably only help him get better albeit while he's paid mountains of cash.

if you really look at the truth behind the media spin of the demar situation, the only reason loyalty is such a key factor is because they find it amazing how an american player actually wants to play in canada. it's just another dig at the only canadian franchise. that's why theyre playing the loyalty angle so hard, theyre basically just **** on us for saying you guys finally find an all-star that wants to play for you long term, and you trade him. they're acting like we should be grateful as an organization that a half decent player actually wants to play for the raptors. its honestly super patronizing. imagine demar had come up in the celtics system, or some other organization that already has history... do you think "loyalty" would've been such a big theme? of course not, i guarantee everyone would be talking about it as a great basketball decision that needed to be made to take the next stop. it's only a huge topic of discussion because it's the TORONTO raptors.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,762

Post#196 » by TrustFundBaby » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:47 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

I totally forgot Lowry was the first star to stay here, not DD. DD was after. We already ended the curse when Lowry resigned wearing the Purple Jersey.
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#197 » by RonaldArtest » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:05 am

Boogie! wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:

Nah both feel great!

if you really look at the truth behind the media spin of the demar situation, the only reason loyalty is such a key factor is because they find it amazing how an american player actually wants to play in canada. it's just another dig at the only canadian franchise. that's why theyre playing the loyalty angle so hard, theyre basically just **** on us for saying you guys finally find an all-star that wants to play for you long term, and you trade him. they're acting like we should be grateful as an organization that a half decent player actually wants to play for the raptors. its honestly super patronizing. imagine demar had come up in the celtics system, or some other organization that already has history... do you think "loyalty" would've been such a big theme? of course not, i guarantee everyone would be talking about it as a great basketball decision that needed to be made to take the next stop. it's only a huge topic of discussion because it's the TORONTO raptors.

Yes and it's also a fact that NBA players have spurned the raptors time and time again since basically team inception. Stoudamire, T-Mac, VC, Bosh, Antonio Davis, Alonzo Mourning, Kenny Anderson, I'm sure I'm missing more. Guys have fought to be traded, fail to report when traded here, quit on the team, or just choose to not reup in Toronto and then speak bad about it. So yes, it's a big deal when an all-star level player actually wants to play here long-term. It's been awhile since the franchise has seen that. And after Kawhi likely leaves next summer (or gets traded at the deadline), the cycle of guys wanting out or nothing to do with the raptors will continue.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#198 » by Boogie! » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:04 am

RonaldArtest wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:
Nah both feel great!

Yes and it's also a fact that NBA players have spurned the raptors time and time again since basically team inception. Stoudamire, T-Mac, VC, Bosh, Antonio Davis, Alonzo Mourning, Kenny Anderson, I'm sure I'm missing more. Guys have fought to be traded, fail to report when traded here, quit on the team, or just choose to not reup in Toronto and then speak bad about it. So yes, it's a big deal when an all-star level player actually wants to play here long-term. It's been awhile since the franchise has seen that. And after Kawhi likely leaves next summer (or gets traded at the deadline), the cycle of guys wanting out or nothing to do with the raptors will continue.

stop perpetuating this bull. this is exactly the problem with the mentality of the fanbase and organization. i am so glad masai actually has balls and is thinking with his head rather than his emotions. this team is trying to win a **** championship. look at the moment. stop dwelling on the bull shft. the league turns around every season. nothing in the past matters. every season we watch the team because we want to see them win. who gives a **** a bout what happend in the past. the fact that you care so much about the cycle of stars leaving more so than the actual product on the floor at the present moment is an issue YOU need to deal with, but stop perpetuating and acting like we need to feel sorry for ourselves as a franchise and we need to be sucking the dick of every player that shows any attachment to this city regardless of his performance. it's sad that the fanbase is so concerned about being liked rather than believing it deserves respect at all costs, that it goes out of its way to appease any half decent player that shows outward signs of appreciation towards the city.

if the raptors win a championship, i could give a **** that the players that helped that do that said **** toronto on their way out. in this league winning and championships earn you respect as an organization and leave a legacy, not how much the players love you. kawhi just forced himself out of the spurs organization, explain to me why no one is discussing how the spurs legacy has been tarnished and how we should feel sorry for them. it's because they have championship pedigree, theyve built their organization on winning and everyone knows theyll still find a way to be great doesnt matter that one star happened to tell them to **** off. if demar derozan was a generational talent, we wouldve never had to get rid of him to begin with. unfortunately, thats not the case. it sucks, but its how it is, and if the team wants to move forward, this was the right move to make. this city doesn't need self-loathing from its fanbase.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#199 » by vaff87 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:51 am

The whole “players want to leave the Raptors” thing is outdated. Nowadays, players seem to love playing for the Raptors, and want to stay. I don’t even remember who was the last player that wanted to leave.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#200 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:20 am

vaff87 wrote:The whole “players want to leave the Raptors” thing is outdated. Nowadays, players seem to love playing for the Raptors, and want to stay. I don’t even remember who was the last player that wanted to leave.

I like the trade but can give Jack his Jacket, DeRozan helped change that perception by both helping the team win & by being devoted. Raptors tried, both Derozan & Casey had multiple opportunities to the point of on court embarrassment, Masai needed change & such is life.

Demar gave love & he got loved but loving a player doesn't win games, which is the end game.

Atleast he's not IT making the MLE after his best season playing through Injury & his sisters death for Ainge & the Celtics, that's being done dirty. Man missed half of last season as a result of playing through injury & they didn't get half the vitrol Raptors are getting for a man that's truthfully getting paid more than he's worth.

The whole issue is Derozan isn't the player this team needed & paid him to be.

Best wishes,

Return to Toronto Raptors