ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#641 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:34 pm

About the FIBA rules with players...this is basically what is important.

1. Every team can have one naturalized player.

2. Teams can have an unlimited number of foreign born players, if their country allows for birth right citizenship through their parents (like USA, Puerto Rico, Nigeria, etc.).

3. A player is not bound to his national team unless he plays with them in a FIBA sanctioned event at either age 18, or at a FIBA sanctioned men's senior level event, at age 16 or older.

4. There are two major exceptions.

First exception is, a player can switch his national team, if he requests it through FIBA, and then if the governing body of his current national team approves of it, and releases him. If that happens, then FIBA has the final say, and can allow the player to switch national teams, if they deem that it will have "a positive effect on the development of the game of basketball".

Second exception is, a player can request to switch national teams by filing for a release from his current basketball federation, and then being granted, or already having nationality and a place in a new national team, as long as the new national team he would be joining is ranked lower on the current FIBA worldwide rankings than the national team he already belongs to.

That is why so many Americans can play as naturalized Americans in national teams around the world, because the USA has a higher ranking.

As an example, Sasha Vezenkov, played with Bulgaria, because his father is Bulgarian and a part of the national federation. But Vezenkov wanted to switch to Greece, since he has been raised in Greece, and FIBA wouldn't let him because Greece is higher on the world rankings than Bulgaria.

So for example, let's say in case of Naz Long, he is bound to Canada through playing criteria above (I really have no idea if he is), then he cannot switch to Greek national team under FIBA rules because Greece si ranked higher in world rankings than Canada (Greece at #8, Canada at #23).

That means then, under FIBA rules, he would have to ask for a release from Canada's federation, and they would to grant it. Then, FIBA would have to agree also, if they believe it would be "positive effect on the the development of the game of basketball"...which is hard to say what they would think. But if he said he didn't want to play for Canada, then they would probably see it as "positive", if he did play for another team.

I would say such a case would probably be something similar to Serge Ibaka playing with Spain, even though they are higher in FIBA rankings than Congo. FIBA let him play with Spain, because he said he wouldn't play with Republic of Congo.

On the other hand, if Long is not bound to Canada's federation per the above rules, then he could simply play for Greece, if he wanted to.

I am sure Greece would like to have him, since he's athletic, he can handle, he can pass, and he's a very good shooter. But it's not like they need guards or something. So many American players are naturalized into European teams, because the one thing they have trouble developing is guards. That's one thing Greece never has a problem with. Greece has always had plenty of good guards for like the last 35 years or so. They are probably the best in Europe, along with Serbia, and probably a bit better than Serbia, at developing guards. They have Tyler Dorsey in their program, and he can't even make the team through training camp so far.

And then with Canada, he doesn't seem to be getting any run either. So it's a little hard to know what would happen.
TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Post#642 » by TrueNorth31 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:36 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
mojo13 wrote:Interesting stuff Mirotic. Do you have any source for that? I'd be curious to see it - I'm not seeing anything on the interwebs yet.

I assume there will be a tonne of pressure on him to assimilate into the Greek NT. Assuming he is good enough. You have any idea of what kind of money he will be offered?

Major Greek sports media was talking about it like a week ago or so. But they said it was not going to happen right away, they had to reach a deal with the Jazz. So maybe it doesn't happen. But the reports seemed to indicate Long was frustrated with the Jazz not playing him in the NBA, and him being stuck all the time in the G-League, which he feels is below his level as a player.

Nothing was mentioned about him and Greek national team.

TrueNorth31 wrote:'m not sure I'd believe this. Long is on an NBA 2 way contract. His minimum salary is from $ 77,000 - to $380,000 - he doesn't have to appear in a game, he just has to be on the roster. He gets a little more than $ 5000/day. Last year he was up for about forty days - so he made about $ 280,000.

He's also just one Ricky Rubio, Donovan Mitchell injury away from getting a significant NBA shot with massive riches to be found if all goes well. I doubt his agent would squander this opportunity.

Now if next year if he's not on a two way and he seems like he's spinning his wheels trying to crack the NBA ,Greece would be a nice option for him. This is just the way it is.

That's a very low salary for EuroLeague teams. If you count bonuses, then put the salary in gross terms and in US dollars, that would be the lowest salary on Olympiacos. The team's 16th man makes more than that. Anyway, the media claim he didn't say he was doing it for the money, it as for playing time. He can't get any playing time with the Jazz, and he has no interest in staying in the G-League, because the level is so low.

But those 2 way G-League deals are still very low salaries compared to European basketball. Even in mid-size Greek clubs, he would make more than that, and in lower size Greek clubs, probably around that same amount. In bigger Greek clubs, he would get substantially more than that.

In the smallest Greek League clubs, good Americans/Canadians get like €150,000 to €220,000 euros net income a season, plus their car and apartment/condo/townhouse and utility expenses paid for by the club. Even smaller clubs in Greek, Italian, Spanish leagues regularly have former NBA players on them. Hell, even in those country's second divisions, you will get former NBA players. The 2 way NBA contracts helped out for salaries only for those players as compared to what they got before in G League. It didn't make those salaries at all competitive with playing in a good European league.

Glad for your input Mirotic. Here's an article from just a few days ago( Dec 10/ 18 ) where Long pours cold water on going to Europe in the immediate future.

"But Mitrou-Long sees his NBA cameos as only the beginning of his time in the league.

“Yeah, that was special to get in in Denver, knock down that top-of-the-key 3 and then getting my face kicked in the next play,” he said. “Again, that’s the highs with the lows and it gave me a taste of what’s to be, what I want, and the reason that I turned down a couple of offers overseas to stay here and pursue (my dream).”

And his rationale for not heading overseas this season was simple.

“I believe in myself and I believe if I continue to be a sponge, do the right things on and off the court, that dream will be fulfilled one day,” Mitrou-Long said. “It was awesome to get a taste (of the NBA), but I’m not one of those guys doing it just for the hype, doing it just to get in for 30 seconds. I want to continue to get better and hopefully one day contribute. Whatever (role) that is, just get on an NBA roster officially.”

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowa-state-cyclones/naz-mitrou-long-iowa-state-basketball-nba-g-league-utah-jazz-20181210

I think these guys who are so close to the NBA look at the current average salary in the NBA which is is $7.42 and think why can't that be me? As I mentioned in my previous post however, at some point a player has to be realistic. If you can't break through to the NBA you need to seriously start looking at Europe as the money is better than in the G League. It's a tough decision to make.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#643 » by frumble » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:56 am

Interesting 538 article re Williamson having the best statistical NCAA season in at least a decade.
He has the best PER since 2009 and the best BPM since 2010 (in each case, that is as far back as the data go).

What is interesting for our purposes is who is #2 on both lists.

Brandon Clarke's 18/19 is the second best BPM of any player-season since 2010. (also note Olynyk's 12/13 season is 36th).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&class_is_fr=Y&class_is_so=Y&class_is_jr=Y&class_is_sr=Y&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&games_type=A&qual=pts_per_g&c1stat=g&c1comp=gt&c1val=10&order_by=bpm

And Clarke's 18/19 season is also second on the PER list. (with KO's 12/13 being 5th best).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&class_is_fr=Y&class_is_so=Y&class_is_jr=Y&class_is_sr=Y&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&games_type=A&qual=pts_per_g&c1stat=g&c1comp=gt&c1val=10&order_by=per

Kyle Alexander's 17/18 season also in the top 100 for both metrics.

I haven't gone beyond the top 100 to see which other Canadians have fared well in these advanced metrics.
(there are about 26,000 player seasons for PER, so being top 100 is pretty amazing),
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#644 » by TrueNorth31 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:43 am

Mirotic12 wrote:About the FIBA rules with players...this is basically what is important.

1. Every team can have one naturalized player.

2. Teams can have an unlimited number of foreign born players, if their country allows for birth right citizenship through their parents (like USA, Puerto Rico, Nigeria, etc.).

3. A player is not bound to his national team unless he plays with them in a FIBA sanctioned event at either age 18, or at a FIBA sanctioned men's senior level event, at age 16 or older.

4. There are two major exceptions.

Here's the actual FIBA rules as a reference point ( they require VERY precise reading as it's written by lawyers ).

http://www.fiba.basketball/downloads/v3_expe/agen/docs/3-ELIGIBILITY-NATIONAL-STATUS-of-%20PLAYERS.pdf

-You are correct about point 1.

- Point two has caused some issues. In 2011 Qatar showed up at the Asian Championship with 5 players from Central Africa who according to their liberal citizenship rules became citizens at age 18 ( read- Qatar which is quite wealthy paid them to become citizens- one of the players was an NBA draft choice.) FIBA suspended the players and tightened up it's procedures - demanding players produce passports before age 16 in the future in this situation and if not they'd have to show they had more than just a " blood connection " to the country ( See rule 21-B).

"21b. For purposes of letter (a) above and in the event of doubts, any player claiming to
have acquired a legal nationality before having reached the age of sixteen (16),
without presenting the respective passport with a date of issue before the player’s
sixteenth birthday, requires a decision by the Secretary General confirming that he
does not fall under the restriction of letter (a) above. In taking this decision the
Secretary General shall take into account the following criteria:
- the number of years during which the player has lived in the country, for the
national team of which he wishes to play;
- the number of seasons during which the player has participated in domestic
competitions in the country of the national team for which he wishes to play;
- any other criteria capable of establishing a significant link between the player and
the country, for the national team of which he wishes to play. "

This has caused a lot of consternation in the Philippines as it lowers their potential talent pool. They believe any foreign born Filipinos ( the largest immigrant group on a yearly basis in Canada is now the Philippines) have a birthright as a Filipino citizen if one of their parents are from the Philippines. The problem is that North American born Filipinos often don't get a passport from their parents native country until after age 16 or at all - and it's hard to determine at such a young age how good a kid is going to be. This situation has caused Jordan Clarkson of the Cavaliers not to be approved by FIBA, who'd like to play for the Philippines, but his passport status is indeterminate .

Recently the issue came up with Haiti this year- who showed up at a FIBA qualifier with 8 American born Haitians who lacked the proper documentation and were suspended.

http://www.lunionsuite.com/fiba-disqualifies-haiti-national-team/

- I don't think you worded point three accurately ( I don't blame you as it's quite convoluted ) Here's my interpretation. According to rule 18 ( which takes precedence ) if you play in a FIBA event ( can be senior/U 17 whatever) and your eligible for that country - that's the country you've chosen.

" Any player having played in a main official competition of FIBA for a national team for
which he is eligible is considered as having chosen the national team of that country"

If your under 16 they give you a get out of jail card given your age;

"22. A player who has played in a main official competition (see article 2-1) of FIBA before
reaching his seventeenth (17) birthday may play for a national team of another country if
both national member federations agree; in the absence of an agreement the Secretary
General decides."

Rule 23 clarifies what happens at age 17;

"23. A player who has played in a main official competition of FIBA (see article 2-1) after
having reached his seventeenth (17) birthday may not play for a national team of another
country. "

As for point four I'll address that in my next post ( it gives FIBA some wiggle room).
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#645 » by TrueNorth31 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:09 am

As to point four,generally I agree how you describe it . I don't think country rankings is a specific rule, but as a basic principle they seem to follow it as one of their procedures.

Most American players never play in a FIBA event for the USA since the competition is so tough and therefore they can switch nationalities as they please ( as long as the country naturalizing them gives them citizenship), in essence they are international free agents ( each country can have one naturalized player).

Now what happens if somebody whose played for a country in a FIBA event ( Universiade and Pan Am games are not FIBA sanctioned) an wants to switch allegiances to another country ? This rule applies;

"However, in exceptional circumstances the Secretary General may authorise such a
player to play for the national team of his country of origin if he is ineligible to play for
such country according to this article 3-23 and if this is in the interest of the development of basketball in this country."

This happened to former Raptor Charlie Villanueva. In 2004 he played for the Americans at the 2004 FIBA U -21's America's in Halifax.

http://www.fiba.basketball/pages/eng/fa/team/p/sid/3806/tid/379/_/2004_U21_The_Americas_Tournament_for_Men_/index.html

In 2009 he wanted to switch countries and play for the country of his parents the D.R. USA basketball had no problem "releasing him" and FIBA applying an earlier version of the above rule FIBA complied and he represented the Dominicans. I think most people would see this as helping a developing program like the D.R. and it was a good decision.

http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=4060004

It doesn't always go this smoothly however, as per the case of Roy Hibbert. As a 24 year old despite being born in the USA he played for Jamaica in a FIBA event in 2010. In 2014 he wanted to rejoin Team USA , but FIBA never complied.

"Turns out there is a little-known FIBA bylaw that allows for Hibbert, through USA Basketball, to apply for permission to play for Team USA after appearing in one game for Jamaica in 2010 ... despite the fact that it's been drilled into us all for years that players who represent one country at senior level internationally do so knowing they are essentially ineligible to switch allegiances and play for another country later.

The little-known rule states that a player who has represented one country after the age of 17 may "exceptionally request" that FIBA allow him to play for another country's national team if that national team is "of the player's country of origin" and if the request is deemed to be "in the interest of the development of basketball in that country."

However ...

While Hibbert satisfies half of those requirements, having been born a New Yorker, I'm told USAB's pessimism stems from the fact that it would be a gargantuan stretch to convince FIBA that adding the Indiana Pacers' All-Star center to Mike Krzyzewski's roster would have even a sliver of impact on the state of the game in this country."

http://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/63111/roy-hibberts-team-usa-chances-bleak

Generally FIBA frowns on players switching allegiance after playing for one national team unless there are special circumstances. I think they prefer if both countries are okay with the switch. It certainly is not given automatically and without question.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#646 » by mojo13 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:11 am

frumble wrote:Interesting 538 article re Williamson having the best statistical NCAA season in at least a decade.
He has the best PER since 2009 and the best BPM since 2010 (in each case, that is as far back as the data go).

What is interesting for our purposes is who is #2 on both lists.

Brandon Clarke's 18/19 is the second best BPM of any player-season since 2010. (also note Olynyk's 12/13 season is 36th).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&class_is_fr=Y&class_is_so=Y&class_is_jr=Y&class_is_sr=Y&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&games_type=A&qual=pts_per_g&c1stat=g&c1comp=gt&c1val=10&order_by=bpm

And Clarke's 18/19 season is also second on the PER list. (with KO's 12/13 being 5th best).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&class_is_fr=Y&class_is_so=Y&class_is_jr=Y&class_is_sr=Y&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&games_type=A&qual=pts_per_g&c1stat=g&c1comp=gt&c1val=10&order_by=per

Kyle Alexander's 17/18 season also in the top 100 for both metrics.

I haven't gone beyond the top 100 to see which other Canadians have fared well in these advanced metrics.
(there are about 26,000 player seasons for PER, so being top 100 is pretty amazing),

Brandon Clarke's Per 40s through 10 games

25.7 points
12.5 boards
2.0 assists
2.1 steals
5.0 blocks

Shooting .714 from the field and .700 on twos (2-2 from three).

FT% up to .600

.305 WS/48
19.2 BPM
45.9 NetRtg

He is going lottery guys. Guys like Sam Vecenie are calling him a top three player so far in the NCAA.

Read on Twitter
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#647 » by TrueNorth31 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:52 am

In the Clarke Vecenie story he reiterated his Canadian roots

"Clarke was born in Vancouver, to a Canadian mother and a Jamaican father. When he was 3, his family moved to Phoenix, where he stayed through high school. From there, he was the typical late bloomer, surrounded by a great, supportive family."

I believe he has him ranked number 20 - just loves his defence.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#648 » by Hair Canada » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:32 pm

It's a remarkable year for Canadians in the NCAA and we've been writing on names like Clarke, Iggy, RJ, Simi, Lawson, Nembhard, and Dort quite a lot.

But there are a few others who have been making some noise, although none is very likely to get to the NBA one day. Here's a quick look at the season so far for a few other Canadians, most of them Juniors:

Isiahs Mike (Sophomore, SMU) -- I mentioned his name in the preview to the season as one of our more physically talented players. He didn't open the season well, but over the last four games he seems to be settling in: 16 points a game with good shooting (2 threes a game, on 50% shooting, 61% from the field and 80% from the line). Hope he can carry on in this way.

Eugene Omoruyi (Junior, Rutgers). The stocky forward, who played for Orangeville Prep in high school, is one of the nicer surprises this season. He's been very consistent, with only one game where he did not score in double figures. Overall, he has 16 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 assists, doubling his production from last year in all of these categories, and also showing some outside shooting (44% from 3, although it's mainly due to a hot start). Looks like a nice future pro.

Godwin Boahen and Marcus Ottey (Juniors, UIC). Boahen is a small (5'11) guard who's been getting increased minutes alongside Ottey in the backcourt this year and has really boosted his production. 16 points a game, with 3 triples per game shooting 41% behind the arc. The 6'2 Ottey has been playing very consistently, scoring in double figures in all but one his games (16.7 points for the season). He's been struggling from 3 though (25%). Neither of them is much of a true PG, so their potential is limited, but he's doing well and could have a professional career somewhere.

Jalen Poyser (Junior, St. Bonaventure). Started the season hot (20 points a game in his first 5), but then cooled off and is struggling a bit as of late. Still, overall putting up decent numbers.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#649 » by mojo13 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Hair - have you been watching much of Mfiondu Kabengele at FSU?

Am I wrong in thinking he might have the most NBA potential of the ones we are not talking much about? He is a late bloomer (6'4 in high school) and has many unique characteristics that make him an intriguing NBA fit (very versatile, long, athletic, can hit the three). He is a red-shirt sophomore and coming of the bench for FSU, but he is playing a key role for FSU (very productive in limited minutes). He is even starting to get some comparisons to FSU legend Al Thornton.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/mfiondu-kabengele-1.html
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,971

Post#650 » by MEDIC » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:17 pm

Hair Canada wrote:It's a remarkable year for Canadians in the NCAA and we've been writing on names like Clarke, Iggy, RJ, Simi, Lawson, Nembhard, and Dort quite a lot.

But there are a few others who have been making some noise, although none is very likely to get to the NBA one day. Here's a quick look at the season so far for a few other Canadians, most of them Juniors:

Isiahs Mike (Sophomore, SMU) -- I mentioned his name in the preview to the season as one of our more physically talented players. He didn't open the season well, but over the last four games he seems to be settling in: 16 points a game with good shooting (2 threes a game, on 50% shooting, 61% from the field and 80% from the line). Hope he can carry on in this way.

I was just writing a post about Isiah Mike...…..then my comp crashed. Crazy timing!

I attended the Biosteel game a couple of years back & this guy really stood out. 6'8" with long arms, quick on his feet, good looking shot & can jump out of the gym. At the time I thought he looked like a really legit NBA prospect.

Looks like he transferred schools this year to SMU. As you mentioned his shooting %'s have been great this season, but seems to be getting less minutes & less shots than last year. I am kind of surprised he hasn't really "broken out".

To me he looks like one of those under the radar guys that you might be able to draft late 2nd or sign him undrafted & send him to the farm to develop his game further. Everything about the guy fits the current NBA.

* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#651 » by Hair Canada » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:37 pm

MEDIC wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:It's a remarkable year for Canadians in the NCAA and we've been writing on names like Clarke, Iggy, RJ, Simi, Lawson, Nembhard, and Dort quite a lot.

I was just writing a post about Isiah Mike...…..then my comp crashed. Crazy timing!

I attended the Biosteel game a couple of years back & this guy really stood out. 6'8" with long arms, quick on his feet, good looking shot & can jump out of the gym. At the time I thought he looked like a really legit NBA prospect.

Looks like he transferred schools this year to SMU. As you mentioned his shooting %'s have been great this season, but seems to be getting less minutes & less shots than last year. I am kind of surprised he hasn't really "broken out".

To me he looks like one of those under the radar guys that you might be able to draft late 2nd or sign him undrafted & send him to the farm to develop his game further. Everything about the guy fits the current NBA.

Yes, I agree. Of all the guys I mentioned above, he's the only one with clear NBA potential: Size, speed, athleticism, some handle, and shooting. He's indeed a transfer, which means he sat out last year. I haven't watched any of SMU's games this year, so can't really say what's not fully "clicking". For example, his assists numbers are not that good (more TOs than assists), so it might be an issue of a mediocre feel for the game or a so-so handle. In any case, he does get consistent minutes (around 30 over the last 6 games), so hopefully, he can continue with stable production and make a jump this year.
— Steve Nash
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,451

Post#652 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:10 pm

mojo13 wrote:Hair - have you been watching much of Mfiondu Kabengele at FSU?

Am I wrong in thinking he might have the most NBA potential of the ones we are not talking much about? He is a late bloomer (6'4 in high school) and has many unique characteristics that make him an intriguing NBA fit (very versatile, long, athletic, can hit the three). He is a red-shirt sophomore and coming of the bench for FSU, but he is playing a key role for FSU (very productive in limited minutes). He is even starting to get some comparisons to FSU legend Al Thornton.

Mojo,

I've watched a few FSU games this year, and Kabengele definitely has the talent and athleticism to make it to the NBA. I don't think he'll ever be an All-Star, or maybe even a starter at the next level, but he has a good chance of making it.

This obviously isn't a perfect comparison, but he reminds me a bit of a homeless man's version of Blake Griffin at the same age. He has a lot of power and athleticism, and some undeniable developing skills, but needs to learn to play the game better. He's obviously not on Blake's level, but could become a similar type of player, in my opinion.

And one note for anyone looking at Kabengele's stats - you really need to watch him play to see what his potential is because stats for Florida State players are always confusing and underwhelming based upon the way they play offence and their minutes distribution.

Thanks for pointing him out, mojo. I would be very surprised if he doesn't make an NBA roster in the next couple of years.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#653 » by Hair Canada » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:33 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
mojo13 wrote:Hair - have you been watching much of Mfiondu Kabengele at FSU?

Mojo,

I've watched a few FSU games this year, and Kabengele definitely has the talent and athleticism to make it to the NBA. I don't think he'll ever be an All-Star, or maybe even a starter at the next level, but he has a good chance of making it.

This obviously isn't a perfect comparison, but he reminds me a bit of a homeless man's version of Blake Griffin at the same age. He has a lot of power and athleticism, and some undeniable developing skills, but needs to learn to play the game better. He's obviously not on Blake's level, but could become a similar type of player, in my opinion.

And one note for anyone looking at Kabengele's stats - you really need to watch him play to see what his potential is because stats for Florida State players are always confusing and underwhelming based upon the way they play offence and their minutes distribution.

Thanks for pointing him out, mojo. I would be very surprised if he doesn't make an NBA roster in the next couple of years.

I agree that his stats don't tell the full story. From what I've seen this year, he certainly has the offensive potential -- smooth shooting, a powerful physique, and some nice movements. He's gotten better this year and clearly still has some untapped offensive potential.

Where I'm a bit more worried about him is on the defensive end. I wouldn't quite describe him as heavy, but he doesn't have the quickest lateral movement or enough defensive discipline, which often gets him in foul trouble (part of the reason he's not playing as many minutes as he could). The modern NBA tends to be very unforgiving for bigs who are not able to cover spaces efficiently and stay with guards. I'm also a bit concerned about his shot blocking numbers, which actually went down this year, despite more minutes. I thought that's one area where he could excel given his long frame (and the fact that he is, after all, the nephew of Dikembe Mutombo, arguably the best shot blocker in NBA history). But He hasn't shown much progress in this so far.

The thing is that he's not talented enough offensively (a homeless version of Blake is accurate I think, mainly because Blake is much more athletic) to be able to be a mediocre defender. He'll need to be a rim protector or at least a good on-the-ball defender to make it in the NBA and I haven't seen enough of that. He's still young, both in terms of age and his game, so there's certainly room to grow. But while I think he has good NBA potential, I'm still not quite convinced that he'll actually be able to become an NBA rotation player one day.
— Steve Nash
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#654 » by TrueNorth31 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:17 am

The competition is going to be tough , but Stauskas wants to go to the Worlds.

“I hope I don’t jinx myself or whatever but since we qualified I’ve been telling my close family and friends: I’m going to China this summer,” he says. “I’m fully planning on being there … I know there’s a plethora of guards and wings to choose from so I don’t want to assume ‘oh yeah, I’m on the team’, but 100 per cent I would love to be a part of that team and it’s something that I still value, being part of Team Canada.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/canadas-nik-stauskas-accepting-nba-reality-trail-blazers/

Unlike a lot of guys he seems somewhat enthusiastic.

I wonder about his defence at times, but he can shoot the three and he is a nice unselfish passer.
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#655 » by TheFutureMM » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:55 am

TrueNorth31 wrote:The competition is going to be tough , but Stauskas wants to go to the Worlds.

“I hope I don’t jinx myself or whatever but since we qualified I’ve been telling my close family and friends: I’m going to China this summer,” he says. “I’m fully planning on being there … I know there’s a plethora of guards and wings to choose from so I don’t want to assume ‘oh yeah, I’m on the team’, but 100 per cent I would love to be a part of that team and it’s something that I still value, being part of Team Canada.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/canadas-nik-stauskas-accepting-nba-reality-trail-blazers/

I wonder about his defence at times, but he can shoot the three and he is a nice unselfish passer.

This is really cool news. All things considered, isn't it wild that Stauskas is no longer a lock for this team? In a perfect world, with everyone healthy/available, he's likely my last cut at the Guard/Wing position however I could easily see him edge out Pangos/(P)Scrubb/Brooks.

NBADraft Latest mock is up:

2 - RJ
13 - Alexander-Walker
21 - Simi
23 - Dort
30 - Brissett
40 - Clarke
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,627

Post#656 » by arbsn » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:09 am

TrueNorth31 wrote:The competition is going to be tough , but Stauskas wants to go to the Worlds.

Would take him over Brady Heslip any day of the week
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#657 » by frumble » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Good to see Stauskas enthusiastic.

Even with full participation, I think he should make it. It is a position of need.
If they put a lot of emphasis on past service, he may have a harder time.

Over/under on number of Canadians in the NBA in two or three seasons? Say opening day rosters of 2021-22? Would 20 be crazy?
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,971

Post#658 » by MEDIC » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:24 pm

TheFutureMM wrote:

2 - RJ
13 - Alexander-Walker
21 - Simi
23 - Dort
30 - Brissett
40 - Clarke

Wow. Brissett higher than Clark?

I love NAW, but lottery seems high for him. I'd be stoked if he was drafted that high.

I could easily see Dort moving his way up the draft charts after workouts/ combine......even sneaking into the lottery. The guy is a freak.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
WellYouKnow
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#659 » by WellYouKnow » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:48 pm

MEDIC wrote:
TheFutureMM wrote:

2 - RJ
13 - Alexander-Walker
21 - Simi
23 - Dort
30 - Brissett
40 - Clarke

Wow. Brissett higher than Clark?

I love NAW, but lottery seems high for him. I'd be stoked if he was drafted that high.

I could easily see Dort moving his way up the draft charts after workouts/ combine......even sneaking into the lottery. The guy is a freak.

Agree on NAW. Seems crazy high for him. Seems like a classic really good college player who would struggle to replicate what he does in the pros.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,150

Post#660 » by PoundTown » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:22 pm

TrueNorth31 wrote:In the Clarke Vecenie story he reiterated his Canadian roots

"Clarke was born in Vancouver, to a Canadian mother and a Jamaican father. When he was 3, his family moved to Phoenix, where he stayed through high school. From there, he was the typical late bloomer, surrounded by a great, supportive family."

I believe he has him ranked number 20 - just loves his defence.

Has Clarke ever had any interest in playing for Canada? Same story as Lyles but left Canada even earlier, and it seems like Lyles has very little interest as well.

Return to Toronto Raptors