ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#3541 » by mojo13 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:22 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:For those who might have missed it -- my 2020 Canadian power ranking:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2007075

Pretty good, tho Pangos is better than Birch and Powell I think, I mean its hard to compare shooter PG to defensive centers, but no matter the team I am building, international or NBA, I would probably take Pangos before these guys. The amount of talent here is crazy tho, I think we Lithuanians have pretty good lineup right now, but when I look what Australia and Canada can assemble these days,,, damn.

Not sure I agree - Dwight Powell is dependent on the players around him for sure, but he has an elite All-World skillset that Pangos doesn't (Powell's injury aside of course). The market has determined Powell is a much more valuable player to a team as evidence of his contract and starting role on a NBA club. Same with Birch to a lesser extent. Certainly Pangos is more valuable if your team has no decent PG and you may choose him first when building a team before an elite role player like Powell (or Birch). But even looking at Canada's World Cup roster Khem Birch was a more valuable player than Pangos because CoJo was there. Without CoJo that changes.

Hair, great stuff on the list - I threw down some comments.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,598

Post#3542 » by UcanUwill » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:25 pm

mojo13 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:For those who might have missed it -- my 2020 Canadian power ranking:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2007075

Pretty good, tho Pangos is better than Birch and Powell I think, I mean its hard to compare shooter PG to defensive centers, but no matter the team I am building, international or NBA, I would probably take Pangos before these guys. The amount of talent here is crazy tho, I think we Lithuanians have pretty good lineup right now, but when I look what Australia and Canada can assemble these days,,, damn.

Not sure I agree - Dwight Powell is dependent on the players around him for sure, but he has an elite All-World skillset that Pangos doesn't (Powell's injury aside of course). The market has determined Powell is a much more valuable player to a team as evidence of his contract and starting role on a NBA club. Same with Birch to a lesser extent. Certainly Pangos is more valuable if your team has no decent PG and you may choose him first when building a team before an elite role player like Powell (or Birch). But even looking at Canada's World Cup roster Khem Birch was a more valuable player than Pangos because CoJo was there. Without CoJo that changes.

Hair, great stuff on the list - I threw down some comments.

I can agree on Powell, but Birch is just clumsy scrub in my opinion.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#3543 » by UcanUwill » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:29 pm

Pierre with crazy clutch block on Mike James
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3544 » by mojo13 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Posted this on the Power Ranking Thread but it should be here:

As a reminder we have two SMNT games coming up in just over a month.
The FIBA Americup Qualification process resumes with Canada taking on Cuba and USVI in a "bubble" at the Hard Rock Hotel in Punta Cana, DR on Nov 29 and 30.

It will be extra interesting to see who show ups to play (and coach). These are low caliber opponents, but it could be a good opportunity to build team chemistry towards the Victoria Qualifiers and/or gain FIBA experience for younger players. The NBA season is in its summer so we could even see NBA participation. Maybe allot if there are any Covid related logistical issue to get Euro/Asia based players to the DR and back to their clubs.

I did notice Sabonis and Val are in the player pool for Lithuania (announced yesterday) so there is reason to believe we get some NBA guys - or at least a couple lower level guys like Dort, Brissett, Kabengele, NAW, Barrett, Shayok, Mulder who may want to get their feet wet with FIBA play, learn the system and gain some points in the eyes of management in case we make the Olympics.

Personally I think they should be focused on the Victoria Qualifier, continue to build chemistry with that core from the WC (Pangos, Wiltjer, Ejim, Morgan, Klassen, the Scrubbs) who will likely be the core for the Qualifier and maybe bring in what I'd see as best possible non-NBA re-enforcements like Dylan Ennis, Tyler Ennis, Andrew Nicholson and Dyshawn Pierre.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Post#3545 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:08 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Pretty good, tho Pangos is better than Birch and Powell I think, I mean its hard to compare shooter PG to defensive centers, but no matter the team I am building, international or NBA, I would probably take Pangos before these guys. The amount of talent here is crazy tho, I think we Lithuanians have pretty good lineup right now, but when I look what Australia and Canada can assemble these days,,, damn.

Pangos is a good player, mainly due to his excellent ball handling, shooting ability, and smarts. As I've said several times in this forum, he could certainly be a rotation player in the NBA. But yeah, you also overrate him. He has all kinds of weaknesses as a player on defense, and he's also kind of lacking overall skill wise for a point guard, even in today's game of mostly dribble and shoot skill set for point guards. Pangos really doesn't do much on offense in the half court, other than use screens and picks. His individual game is almost zero, and he also has very little creativity, either for himself or for other players. Now that Jimmer is back in China, I'd say that Pangos is the most dependent on screens and picks guard in EuroLeague.

Although, I will give give you that Khem Birch is extremely limited on offense. But, in terms of defense, Pangos is just horrible.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#3546 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:30 pm

mojo13 wrote:Turk Telekom signed Sam Dekkar, Tyler Ennis and Michael Eric and brought back Kyle Wiltjer. The expectation was that they’d compete for a BCL title. Dijon beating them in the first round of the Final 8 was considered a major upset.

I don't know what to tell you, other than just look at their roster. It's actually below average for Turkish League and BCL standards. So whomever told you they were some stacked team, or wrote it in a ranking, or put in a betting line or whatever, is clearly very misinformed.

This roster...

Kamar Baldwin

Goktug Bas

Muhammed Baygul

Ercan Bayrak

Sam Dekker

Tyler Ennis

Micheal Eric

Samet Geyik

Burak Gozeneli

Erdi Gulaslan

Can Korkmaz

Yigit Ozkan

Kyle Wiltjer

http://www.championsleague.basketball/20-21/team/T%C3%BCrk-Telekom#|tab=roster

...is far away from being considered "stacked" in Europe. I did a comparison with Greek club Aris' roster, since Aris was banned by FIBA from signing any players until October. Yes, FIBA bans teams if they owe any money, despite what nonsense articles in the media claim.

Aris, a team that had to wait until October to officially sign players, so an extreme example - they actually might have an overall stronger roster than Turk Telekom does, depth-wise. That's not in any way a "stacked team".
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#3547 » by UcanUwill » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:07 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Pretty good, tho Pangos is better than Birch and Powell I think, I mean its hard to compare shooter PG to defensive centers, but no matter the team I am building, international or NBA, I would probably take Pangos before these guys. The amount of talent here is crazy tho, I think we Lithuanians have pretty good lineup right now, but when I look what Australia and Canada can assemble these days,,, damn.

Pangos is a good player, mainly due to his excellent ball handling, shooting ability, and smarts. As I've said several times in this forum, he could certainly be a rotation player in the NBA. But yeah, you also overrate him. He has all kinds of weaknesses as a player on defense, and he's also kind of lacking overall skill wise for a point guard, even in today's game of mostly dribble and shoot skill set for point guards. Pangos really doesn't do much on offense in the half court, other than use screens and picks. His individual game is almost zero, and he also has very little creativity, either for himself or for other players. Now that Jimmer is back in China, I'd say that Pangos is the most dependent on screens and picks guard in EuroLeague.

Although, I will give give you that Khem Birch is extremely limited on offense. But, in terms of defense, Pangos is just horrible.

I am Zalgiris fan, so yeah, I probably overrate him. He was so good for us, best PG we had probably since Robert Pack.
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#3548 » by BilboBanginz » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Good news for those hoping to see NBA players at the Olympics. Our Qualifying tournament roster will likely be made up of players on non-playoff teams/1st round exit teams. I don't think players who make deep playoff runs will be too keen on jumping straight into a Team Canada training camp given that this off-season will be a shorter one.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#3549 » by UcanUwill » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:52 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good news for those hoping to see NBA players at the Olympics. Our Qualifying tournament roster will likely be made up of players on non-playoff teams/1st round exit teams. I don't think players who make deep playoff runs will be too keen on jumping straight into a Team Canada training camp given that this off-season will be a shorter one.

This is really a great news to me, I am a huge FIBA first fan. Too bad reports say that NBA will block any possibility for NBA players to play in November qualifying window, but hey, I am not pushing my luck here, we know NBA and Euroleague hates FIBA already.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3550 » by mojo13 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:09 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
BilboBanginz wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is really a great news to me, I am a huge FIBA first fan. Too bad reports say that NBA will block any possibility for NBA players to play in November qualifying window, but hey, I am not pushing my luck here, we know NBA and Euroleague hates FIBA already.

Where you hearing that the NBA will block participation in November?
Any links would be appreciated.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#3551 » by UcanUwill » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:11 pm

mojo13 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
BilboBanginz wrote:

French camp reported that

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/1118469/vincent-collet-the-nba-refused-to-release-players-for-this-national-team-window/
TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Post#3552 » by TrueNorth31 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:12 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
mojo13 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

French camp reported that

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/1118469/vincent-collet-the-nba-refused-to-release-players-for-this-national-team-window/

One potential problem is that with the new proposed Christmas day start - NBA training camps are scheduled to start December 1 which overlaps with the European qualifiers.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#3553 » by Hair Canada » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:55 pm

A fantastic start for Kyle Wiltjer in the new European Champions League season. 33 points on 11-16 shooting, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists in a close win (98:94) for Turk Telekom over Hapoel Jerusalem. Enis was also solid with 16 points (6 of 11 from the field), 4 rebounds, and 3 assists.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3554 » by mojo13 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:15 pm

Hair Canada wrote:A fantastic start for Kyle Wiltjer in the new European Champions League season. 33 points on 11-16 shooting, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists in a close win (98:94) for Turk Telekom over Hapoel Jerusalem. Enis was also solid with 16 points (6 of 11 from the field), 4 rebounds, and 3 assists.

Yo Ucanwill and Mirotic...what's your opinion on the quality of the BCL versus EuroCup at this point. My understanding is a couple years ago the EuroCup was considered a meaningful notch above the BCL, but there have been some defections of clubs over the last couple years.

I know it varies drastically from club to club....but as a whole are they considered at parity at this point? How would you best judge it? Average budgets of clubs? Average placement in their respective domestic leagues?
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#3555 » by Hair Canada » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:00 pm

For me the two are pretty much on par now and maybe I'd even give the edge to the BCL. If we're looking at leading leagues, for example, Tenerife and Burgos (the BCL champions) are two of the best in the Spanish league, and both are in the BCL. Same for the Italian league, with Brindisi and Sassari. AEK is (and I think has been for years) clearly the third-best team in Greece (beyond the two that play in the Euroleague). Same for Jerusalem. They are very clearly the second-best (and second in terms of budget) team in Israel and have been for the last two decades, with some Euroleague aspirations. They were arguably a top-8 team in the EuroCup, and then they moved to the BCL. All in all, as I said, I would give a slight edge to the BCL.
— Steve Nash
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect

Post#3556 » by BilboBanginz » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:02 pm

Read on Twitter
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#3557 » by UcanUwill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:53 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:A fantastic start for Kyle Wiltjer in the new European Champions League season. 33 points on 11-16 shooting, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists in a close win (98:94) for Turk Telekom over Hapoel Jerusalem. Enis was also solid with 16 points (6 of 11 from the field), 4 rebounds, and 3 assists.

Yo Ucanwill and Mirotic...what's your opinion on the quality of the BCL versus EuroCup at this point. My understanding is a couple years ago the EuroCup was considered a meaningful notch above the BCL, but there have been some defections of clubs over the last couple years.

I know it varies drastically from club to club....but as a whole are they considered at parity at this point? How would you best judge it? Average budgets of clubs? Average placement in their respective domestic leagues?

I honestly stopped following Eurocup a long time ago, and never was in CL to begin with, but looking at what players usually dominate those leagues, its a big step back from Euroleague.

For the sake of it, I checked few notable teams and their rosters in CL, Galatasaray probably has the most recognizable roster from Euroleague fan perspective, CL has quote a few interesting Turkish teams, I would even say they rely on them, Turkish league has gotten way better in Recent years, after Spanish league, Turkish league domestically might actually be one of the best. This is one exclusivity where CL obviously one uped Eurocup, getting the best tier 2 Turkish teams.

Eurocup still has to be better, but both leagues split the pool of teams, and both leagues are kinda crappy because it. Maybe I am wrong but in 2000s Eurocup seemed they better to me, now when I check their statistical leaders, its like when NBA fan sees Shane Larkin In euroleague, its not that much of the jump, but its kinda a similar feeling :lol: Or maybe I am wrong, as I said I became for more casual over the years, 15 years ago I used to know all Euroleague and Eurocup rosters, but nowadays I just mostly aware of Euroleague and few other teams and thats about it.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#3558 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:23 am

mojo13 wrote:Yo Ucanwill and Mirotic...what's your opinion on the quality of the BCL versus EuroCup at this point. My understanding is a couple years ago the EuroCup was considered a meaningful notch above the BCL, but there have been some defections of clubs over the last couple years.

Hair Canada wrote:For me the two are pretty much on par now and maybe I'd even give the edge to the BCL. If we're looking at leading leagues, for example, Tenerife and Burgos (the BCL champions) are two of the best in the Spanish league, and both are in the BCL. Same for the Italian league, with Brindisi and Sassari. AEK is (and I think has been for years) clearly the third-best team in Greece (beyond the two that play in the Euroleague). Same for Jerusalem. They are very clearly the second-best (and second in terms of budget) team in Israel and have been for the last two decades, with some Euroleague aspirations. They were arguably a top-8 team in the EuroCup, and then they moved to the BCL. All in all, as I said, I would give a slight edge to the BCL.

The two leagues are about equal.

As far as the teams above from Spain and Italy, they are pretty much in the second tier of teams from those leagues. Among the best is a bit misleading, because they are far off from what the big EuroLeague clubs are. But those two Spanish clubs are indeed good teams.

In the case of Hapoel Jerusalem, they have cut their budget a lot recently. In theory that should be a EuroLeague club, but they won't spend enough money.

AEK is along with Panathinaikos, the 2nd or 3rd biggest and most important Greek club, and arguably should be 2nd considering that their football club is a clear second in Greece. They also just got a new arena that they own themselves. But they have a weird owner that refuses to play in EuroLeague.

Then there is Promitheas that plays in EuroCup. It's kind of the opposite. They don't have a very big market or fan base, but they have a rich owner that will spend anything needed. They have NBA level training and practice facilities, youth academies that are at the level of the biggest EuroLeague clubs, and are said to be building a new 10,000 arena. The owner claims they will be in EuroLeague soon. So I guess you could argue any of Panathinaikos, AEK, or Promitheas as the 2nd/3rd Greek club, if you take out the obvious difference that Panathinaikos plays in EuroLeague.

That's kind of an example of the two leagues in general. About the same overall, with bigger and more important teams maybe sometimes going to BCL for the reasons of trying to money grab with FIBA, in hopes FIBA wins the "war" and they come out with money from it. While the EuroCup has teams that are more ambitious.

You could compare Virtus Bologna (EuroCup) and AEK (BCL) that way. Two historic and important clubs, that used to be very relevant EuroLeague teams. Virtus Bologna is more ambitious because they chose EuroCup, so they could get to EuroLeague. Same like Promitheas. AEK is less ambitious, because they chose BCL for money reasons.

So AEK is like Hapoel Jerusalem, only with a bigger budget. Again in theory, AEK should be getting the EuroLeague contract instead of Bologna. They have a bigger market, a better arena, a bigger fan base (they were averaging 12,000 attendance in meaningful games, and getting around 18,000 in the biggest games), similarly rich ownership, and they even seem to attract bigger name players in general, but they choose BCL because of money. So they stay in BCL, and now Bologna is going to EuroLeague.

Galatasaray is another example similar to AEK. These are very big clubs in European sports (with huge football followings), yet they are playing the games of the FIBA dispute for brownie points, rather than just trying to get into EuroLeague. While the EuroCup clubs like say UNICS or Lokomotiv are much smaller and less important clubs, but they do everything they can to try to get into EuroLeague.

So the overall quality of the league is about the same, but clearly the EuroCup teams have more ambitious owners, while the BCL clubs are just trying to get FIBA money. If you prefer to see some of the more important clubs historically, that have more importance in European basketball history, and that have bigger brands, fan bases, etc., then BCL would be more appealing to you probably.

If you are interested in seeing clubs that might be in EuroLeague, even if they don't have good budgets (Budocnost type clubs), then you might be more interested in EuroCup. Personally, I prefer the BCL for viewing, just because it has more brand name clubs in it. You can just look at some of the arena sizes of BCL and see how much more fans some of those clubs have than typical EuroCup teams. But the competition level of players and coaches is about the same in both leagues.

I should point out that for both leagues being about equal in quality, while they are quite lower of a level than the EuroLeague, they are both better than any national domestic league in Europe, and any other league in the world, besides the NBA. You have so much bragging about the level of the Spanish ACB in US sports media, like at every NBA draft especially, but both the EuroCup and BCL are better than the Spanish league. The domestic leagues, no matter what big EuroLeague teams they might have, can't compete with the overall depth and quality of EuroCup and BCL.

Basically, worldwide:

1. NBA
2. EuroLeague
3. EuroCup / BCL

Whether players are in the BCL or EuroCup, it's basically the third best club competition level in the world.
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect

Post#3559 » by BilboBanginz » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:31 pm

From The Athletic:

Why Caleb Houstan is unlike any other recruit for Michigan

It was going to happen eventually and Friday was finally it. Michigan coach Juwan Howard was due for a five-star score on the recruiting trail, especially after his first five-star recruit, Isaiah Todd, opted to backtrack on his commitment and instead spend 2020-21 in the NBA’s G League.

Enter Caleb Houstan.

A five-star wing from Mississauga, Ontario, Houstan committed to Michigan on Friday, spurning Alabama, Duke and Virginia, and giving Howard an anchor for what was already an impressive 2021 recruiting class. The 6-foot-8 Houstan is the Wolverines’ highest-rated recruit since Mitch McGary accepted a scholarship offer from John Beilein in 2011. Despite reclassifying from the 2022 class to the 2021 one just four months ago, Houstan is ranked No. 8 among 2021 prospects in the 247Sports Composite ratings.

He is not, though, a typical five-star player.

“What he brings is different,” Kevin Boyle said by phone on Friday afternoon.

Boyle knows a few things about this. Between his 10 years at Montverde Academy in Florida and his 23 years at St. Patrick in Elizabeth, N.J., he is one of the most successful coaches in modern high school basketball history. He’s coached a slew of NBA Draft picks, including R.J. Barrett, Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid, D’Angelo Russell, Luc Mbah a Moute, Dakari Johnson, Solomon Alabi, Al Harrington, Sam Dalembert, Kyrie Irving and and Michael Frazier. His two most recent stars — Cade Cunningham (currently at Oklahoma State) and Scottie Barnes (Florida State) — are both likely top-10 picks in the 2021 draft.

This is an opinion that carries some weight.

Houstan, in every possible scouting report, is commonly known as an elite shooter. That’s all well and good, but Boyle goes a few steps further. As he describes it, it’s not only Houstan’s shooting, but how advanced the 17-year-old is in the variety and difficulty of shots he can execute. This is not a typical high school shot-maker, Boyle explained. Typically an elite shooter at Houstan’s level thrives mostly as a set-your-feet-and-fire perimeter shooter.

But Houstan?

“He’s got really good feet running in either direction when catching it and getting into his shot,” Boyle said. “So he’s got potential to develop into not just a great open shooter, but a great shooter on shot fakes, and a great shooter off of actions, and off of screens. At his size, I think he’ll be really unique in the college game and eventually in the professional game. He’s a guy who can be a high-level, top-seven or top-10 guy in college and in the NBA at being able to do that. It’s a skill that’s much rarer than people realize. Most great shooters are spot-up shooters. But fewer guys can go get their shot and have such good feet on the run that they can catch and shoot on the run and going either direction. He can do all that at a high, high level.”

Playing on a powerhouse Montverde team littered with soon-to-be Division I players, including current Michigan freshman Zeb Jackson (who was, in fact, Houstan’s roommate at the school), Houstan started last season and averaged 9.8 points in 16.7 minutes per game. Far more impressively, he shot 52.3 percent from the 3-point line (45 of 86) and 72.4 percent on 2-point attempts (55 of 76).

So not only is Houstan capable of hitting challenging shots, but he can also do so at an exceedingly efficient level.

“It tells you two things,” Boyle continued. “One, he’s unselfish, and maybe a little too unselfish. And two, if I’m an NBA team, it’s incredibly exciting that at this age he already has the maturity to not need to be a high-volume shooter to be effective and efficient. You know, a lot of guys can score and make shots, but probably less than half of those type of guys can do it if they’re not the main guy or getting a lot of shots.

“This is what NBA teams are looking at. His numbers say that, OK, even if he doesn’t become a star player or a starter, or if it takes time, he can still be effective in different roles while he develops into being a go-to guy — he can sit for long periods of time and come in and make shots, he can be effective and efficient with limited shots, and if there are minutes between his shots. In today’s analytics, that’s something with incredible value to it. Not a lot of guys can shoot the same percentage if they haven’t gotten a shot in seven minutes or something. With Caleb, he’s the same shooter, the same stroke, the same guy, all along.”

This season will be a far more dramatic and telling test. Montverde loses Cunningham, Barnes, Jackson, Moses Moody (Arkansas) and Day’Ron Sharpe (North Carolina) off a team that easily went 25-0 last season. For that version, Houstan accepted his supporting role without hesitation. He understood where he stood in line and was, as Boyle puts it, “the ultimate teammate.” This season, however, he will be the focal point of Montverde’s offense and the primary mark for opposing defenses. “He’ll show this year that he’s capable of being the main guy,” Boyle said.

More than a few names have been thrown around when it comes to comparisons for Houstan. Boyle brings up Joe Harris and Khris Middleton. The name Jayson Tatum has been tossed around at Michigan.

Those comps are impressive, but what’s most striking is that because of Houstan’s size and shooting, his upside feels limitless. He has vast improvements to make athletically and physically, but his skills are already at a level where it’s difficult not to let the mind wander.

As it stands, Houstan is working to improve his play out of ball screens. He’s capable right now of catching a pass and playing off a screen out of the triple threat. Defenders can’t go under the screen because he’s too good of a shooter. If they go over top of the screen, he can make a play or still get his shot. Now, according to Boyle, the next step for Houstan is developing the ability to handle the ball dribbling into a ball screen.

Considering Michigan’s impending roster turnover, Houstan will likely have the green light to do all this and more once in college. He’s the fifth piece in a freshman class currently comprised of Frankie Collins, Kobe Bufkin, Isaiah Barnes and Will Tschetter. At least one more freshman, probably a big, could be added to that group. Add that up with Michigan’s current four-man freshman class and the roster is likely to include 10 scholarship freshmen and sophomores in 2021-22.

Houstan could very well be the gem of them all. He’s already well-situated on NBA radars and, with ample playing time coming his way this year at Montverde and next year at Michigan, will be afforded every chance to prove himself ready sooner rather than later.

As Boyle kept talking, it became clearer and clearer that Houstan will be able to prove he’s different because he shares a disposition that’s only common among the few.

“He’s incredibly consistent as a player and a person, and how he handles his business,” Boyle said. “He’s an incredible worker. He gives you everything he has, all day, every day. He’s as coachable of a kid and as good of a kid as you’re gonna meet. How he goes about his business — he’s incredibly mature for a kid his age.”

https://theathletic.com/2170676/2020/10/30/caleb-houstan-michigan-five-star-class-of-2021-juwan-howard/
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#3560 » by Hair Canada » Sun Nov 1, 2020 2:02 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
Basically, worldwide:

1. NBA
2. EuroLeague
3. EuroCup / BCL

Whether players are in the BCL or EuroCup, it's basically the third best club competition level in the world.

Well, actually I would argue that both the Spanish and the Russian leagues are better than EuroCup/BCL. And if we are talking international leagues, then technically the VTB is one, despite Russian domination, and would be in 3rd place for me.
— Steve Nash

Return to Toronto Raptors