ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#1301 » by Young_Buc » Wed May 15, 2019 7:44 pm

Looking at ESPN today, RJ Barrett's workhorse attitude is going to serve him well. The PRESSURE of going to NY which is grieving over Zion will either make or break him. And his Alpha dog mentality will propell him to something special. Calling it now, he's going to be better than we all think he is.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#1302 » by frumble » Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 pm

All the mocks that have come out since the lottery seem to have Dort ahead of Kabengele.

Sports Illustrated
Barrett 3
NAW 20
Dort 22
Clarke 25

The Sporting News
Barrett 3
Clarke 11
NAW 16
Dort 30

Yahoo Sports
Barrett 3
NAW 15
Clarke 19
Dort 28

CBS Sports
Barrett 3
Clarke 14
NAW 16
Dort 22

NBC Sports
Barrett 3
Clarke 17
NAW 19
Dort 22
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,026

Post#1303 » by NotMyKawhi » Wed May 15, 2019 8:31 pm

I think RJ goes #2 to the Grizzlies

idk if the market is big for conley, they have Dwright. They have bigs. They need a wing that can score.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#1304 » by mojo13 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:31 pm

Young_Buc wrote:Looking at ESPN today, RJ Barrett's workhorse attitude is going to serve him well. The PRESSURE of going to NY which is grieving over Zion will either make or break him. And his Alpha dog mentality will propell him to something special. Calling it now, he's going to be better than we all think he is.

Well what do "we all" think he is?

I for one, don't see something that special in him yet and doubt he will ever be better than Murray or SGA. I still see signs of inefficiency and bad bball IQ that could drastically temper his ceiling in the NBA if he is not able to drastically grow and change his game. Bad footwork, no wiggle, tunnel vision, bad team defender, no anticipation - much of his success to date can be attributed to just over powering smaller crappier players than him. He is solid in transition with his long strides in power but he just collapse is traffic trying to go through guys and jacking up terrible shots, rather than making very simple, easy passes to open guys. Not sure how this is going to work so well in the NBA. Not saying he will bust, just that there are serious questions about his game that people here seem oblivious to. This give me flashbacks to Wiggins draft year - who also had loads of question marks that we all didn't want to see until five years too late.

So hopefully you are right when it comes to what I think of him...but there are many others here with some fairly lofty expectations which I doubt he exceeds.

But he'll score points and people love them some PPG.
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#1305 » by frumble » Thu May 16, 2019 3:17 pm

U16 Americas start in a couple of weeks. Any word on a tryout roster?
mojo13
Veteran

Post#1306 » by mojo13 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Combine measurements are starting to trickle out. Barrett even skipped this.

Clarke seems to be somewhat disappointing with short wingspan and lighter weight than most expected - further complicating what he plays in the NBA.
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/26760728/nba-draft-combine-winners-comps-new-measurements

Brandon Clarke recorded perhaps the most interesting measurements of any player tested this week, given that this is the first time teams are getting their eyes on his official numbers. Standing only 6-8¼ in shoes with an even 6-8¼ wingspan and a 207-pound frame, Clarke has similar dimensions to wing players such as Gordon Hayward, Klay Thompson and Rodney Hood. But that did not stop him from blocking an astonishing 4.3 shots per-40 minutes at Gonzaga last season. His 8-6 standing reach may not fall in step with other comparably versatile defensive forwards such as Draymond Green (8-9) or LeBron James (8-10¼), but it is far from a deal breaker given the potential he showed last season while protecting the rim and locking down several NBA-level guards off of switches.
Finding a real NBA comp for Clarke's measurements -- especially someone who also plays center minutes -- is challenging. The closest ones we can find are DeMarre Carroll(6-7¾, 207 pounds, 6-10 wingspan) and Andre Roberson (6-7, 206 pounds, 6-11 wingspan), and even those aren't exact matches due to their superior length.

Dort, Kabengele, NAW, Clarke and Barrett all skipping 5 on 5 play. Surprising for Dort, Kabengele and Clarke as they have much to prove. So that leaves Iggy, Shayok, Simi and Brissett as the only Canadiasn playing 5-5. Way too many people skipping out on this and really think Dort and Kabengele are especially hurting themselves.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
mojo13
Veteran

Post#1307 » by mojo13 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:35 am

And then Clarke proceeds to do this:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#1308 » by Hair Canada » Fri May 17, 2019 3:44 am

frumble wrote:U16 Americas start in a couple of weeks. Any word on a tryout roster?

As usual, CA Basketball bad with the info. The US already has a comprehensive list and full details on everyone in their training camp for this tournament (32 players). Canada? nothing yet except some Twitter rumors about a player being invited to camp here and there.

I do have my guesses about how most of the roster is going to look like, but we'll have to wait and see if I'm right about it.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#1309 » by frumble » Fri May 17, 2019 4:04 am

Hair Canada wrote:
frumble wrote:U16 Americas start in a couple of weeks. Any word on a tryout roster?

As usual, CA Basketball bad with the info. The US already has a comprehensive list and full details on everyone in their training camp for this tournament (32 players). Canada? nothing yet except some Twitter rumors about a player being invited to camp here and there.

I do have my guesses about how most of the roster is going to look like, but we'll have to wait and see if I'm right about it.

Thanks. If you have a chance, please share your guesses.
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#1310 » by frumble » Fri May 17, 2019 4:06 am

mojo13 wrote:And then Clarke proceeds to do this:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

And tonight's NBA.com (Sam Smith) mock has Clarke 7th.

https://www.nba.com/bulls/news/sam-smiths-mock-draft

(and Barrett 3rd. Lots of sources today reporting that Memphis is set with Morant at 2).
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#1311 » by Hair Canada » Fri May 17, 2019 2:06 pm

frumble wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:

Okay, I'll give it a shot. I should say though that I have no inside info at all (e.g. if someone is injured or unavailable for some reason) and this is entirely based on my evaluation of the players and their game/potential.

Should be in (and maybe start):
Ryan Nembhard (PG)
Shaedon Sharpe (SG)
Elijah Fisher (SF; class of 2023)
Caleb Houstan (SF)
Enoch Boakye (PF/C)

Also should be in:
Jaden Clayton (PG)
DJ Jackson (SG)
Zaiden Cross (SG)
Jayden Webley (C)

Others that might have a decent chance:
Josiah David (SG)
Kole Scott (PG)
Jaiden Cole (SG; class of 2023)
Leonard Miller (SF)
Nigel Hylton (SF)
Noah Ngambe (SF/PF)
Elijah Mahi (G/F)
Kyree Thompson (PG; Nova Scotia)
Keyonte Beals (SF; Nova Scotia)
Majambu Mbikay (SF/PF; Quebec)
RJ Jock (SF; Alberta)
Mikkel Tyne (PG; class of 2024)

Don't know enough the prospects from Western Canada so there might be someone from there that could sneak in (maybe Hilderbrandt from Manitoba?).
— Steve Nash
mojo13
Veteran

Post#1312 » by mojo13 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:01 pm

Some tidbits from the last couple days of the combine:

- sounds like Iggy is leaning heavily staying in the draft, with Bielein leaving playing a big part
- Luguentz Dort also has said he is intent on staying in the draft.
- Brissett is still undecided. He measured out fairly well but didn't particularly play well lin his game yesterday. He came in at an unhumanly 2.9% body fat
- Marial Shayok seem to be continuing to impress people. I still doubt he gets drafted (but there is a chance) and rather he easily gets into a camp and perhaps gets a two-way or UFA deal. He had the 4th or 5th best wingspan relative to height with a near 8 inch differential.
- Although Brandon Clarke's measurements were disappointing (short wingspan and light weight), he absolutely crushed the athletic testing (as shown above). He posted vert, agility and sprint times at the level of some of the most athletic guards in the NBA. Let alone forwards and centers. Can't measure timing, anticipation, vertical speed and second bounce all which he is elite at.
- Barrett has skipped measurements and 5 on 5 play just doing interviews
- NAW, Simi, Dort, Kabengele, Iggy all seemed to measure well (with Kab a little heavy at ~255).
- Simi impressed in his 5 on 5 game yesterday- maybe he gets drafted if he keeps that up.
- Coverage of the combine is all over the place and a little frustrating to follow - ESPN/DraftExpress coverage is mostly behind the paywall. Tough to find good summaries anywhere.

Here are the measurments at least.

Boxscores from yesterday:
Read on Twitter

More to come today.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#1313 » by Hair Canada » Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 am

NPH with their final ranking for the 2019 class:

https://northpolehoops.com/2019/05/17/top-50-2019-canadian-national-player-rankings-final-release/

Overall, the ranking seems fairly reasonable, maybe with a couple of exceptions. Would put McNeilly lower (quite a limited player). Tre Edwards (11) for me would be a bit higher and definitely Sabri Phillip (22). At least they no longer do the joke of putting Okay Djamgouz as a top-5 player.

But what I really have an issue with is the overall rosy prediction of 5 potential NBA players. NPH Is known for being very bullish on players and somewhat out of touch. but this one is really out there. I went on record saying that the 2018 class had 6-7 potenrial NBA players, so I can't really be blamed for being pessimistic. But for the 2019 class, my prediciton would be that NOt EVEN ONE eventually gets to the NBA, or at best one player. Guess we'll have to wait and see... I'd be very happy if I'm wrong and NPH is be right.
— Steve Nash
coachnb
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#1314 » by coachnb » Sat May 18, 2019 6:52 pm

Hair Canada wrote:
frumble wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:

Okay, I'll give it a shot. I should say though that I have no inside info at all (e.g. if someone is injured or unavailable for some reason) and this is entirely based on my evaluation of the players and their game/potential.

Should be in (and maybe start):
Ryan Nembhard (PG)
Shaedon Sharpe (SG)
Elijah Fisher (SF; class of 2023)
Caleb Houstan (SF)
Enoch Boakye (PF/C)

Also should be in:
Jaden Clayton (PG)
DJ Jackson (SG)
Zaiden Cross (SG)
Jayden Webley (C)

Others that might have a decent chance:
Josiah David (SG)
Kole Scott (PG)
Jaiden Cole (SG; class of 2023)
Leonard Miller (SF)
Nigel Hylton (SF)
Noah Ngambe (SF/PF)
Elijah Mahi (G/F)
Kyree Thompson (PG; Nova Scotia)
Keyonte Beals (SF; Nova Scotia)
Majambu Mbikay (SF/PF; Quebec)
RJ Jock (SF; Alberta)
Mikkel Tyne (PG; class of 2024)

Don't know enough the prospects from Western Canada so there might be someone from there that could sneak in (maybe Hilderbrandt from Manitoba?).

Any idea when they will be starting tryouts/practicing for the U16's? I see games begin in Brazil in just over two weeks so would assume they would be running a camp and some practice games well before hand. Canada Basketball does a terrible job in updating their social media platforms and website with information. Almost impossible to know what is happening or who is/has been invited to participate.

Also will be interesting to see who withdraws from the NBA draft and if they will consider playing for the U19 team at the end of next month at the worlds.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#1315 » by mojo13 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:18 pm

What are the better NCAA players that are eligible for the u19s?
Andrew Nembhard and AJ Lawson I believe.
Shittu? Kirkwood? Llewelyn? Dalano Banton?
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#1316 » by Hair Canada » Sat May 18, 2019 10:46 pm

mojo13 wrote:What are the better NCAA players that are eligible for the u19s?
Andrew Nembhard and AJ Lawson I believe.
Shittu? Kirkwood? Llewelyn? Dalano Banton?

Shittu, Llewellyn, Kirkwood, and Banton have all passed the age limit (the latter two by only about a month, but still). So yes, it's really only Nembhard and Lawson (and Barrett...). Really hope they both show up, which they should if they decide to go back to college. And then the class of 2019 guys, all except for the #1-ranked Guerrier, who's actually older than Shittu by about half a year. the natural candidates are Eman Miller (a must if he can make it; will be the only player from that gold-medal team two years ago), Jaden Bediako, Neath, Samuel, Brown, and I think also Caston and Ongenda, Scott, and Edwards.

I expect we'll also see at least two guys from the class of 2020 (Patterson and MA Moncreiff seem like a safe bet), perhaps more (Ambrose-Hylton might be helpful in the frontcourt and I would certainly also give Karim Mane a serious look). Maybe even Charles Bediako from the class of 2021, as he seems to have made some progress over the last year.

By the way, only a month and a half to that competition. Not that long.
— Steve Nash
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#1317 » by frumble » Sat May 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Hair Canada wrote:
And then the class of 2019 guys, all except for the #1-ranked Guerrier, who's actually older than Shittu by about half a year. the natural candidates are Eman Miller (a must if he can make it; will be the only player from that gold-medal team two years ago), Jaden Bediako, Neath, Samuel, Brown, and I think also Caston and Ongenda, Scott, and Edwards.

Brown recently re-confirmed his commitment to Cal (lots of turmoil with the program right now and for a while it was thought Brown might join the exodus). Not sure if he will be on campus for the summer bridge program or in town for the summer ProAm that a lot of incoming freshman do. Will let the board know if I hear anything.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#1318 » by mojo13 » Sun May 19, 2019 3:46 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Great news if true. Brissett, in my opinion was the furthest away from being a viable draft pick of any of the Canadians participating in the Combines.

If he gets drafted we really may get into the 7-8 Canadians drafted range which is mind boggling.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#1319 » by mojo13 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:16 pm

Australia Basketball set to announce their 16-18 man roster this week. Should be interesting.

Canada still has no coach.
Gday_eh
Sophomore
And1: 116

Post#1320 » by Gday_eh » Tue May 21, 2019 1:37 am

Return to Toronto Raptors