ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Alpha Mentality
Assistant Coach
And1: 14,102

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#21 » by Alpha Mentality » Thu Aug 2, 2018 7:49 pm

mojo13 wrote:More Qualifier team relevant signings:

Kaza Keane to Lanstede Basketbal Zwolle of the Dutch league. Dutch Basketball League (DBL), the Dutch top tier division. Don't know much baout that team or league. But hopefully that keeps him available if needed - he was close by and very available with the 905.
https://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Holland/Landstede-Basketbal-Zwolle/1249

Kenny Chery to Boulazac Basket Dordogne of the French Pro A (top division). He played quite well in the ACB last season and this seems a little of a step down (maybe?). He has not played for Canada recently but with how he played in the ACB last season I thought he was a solid under the radar PG who could help if needed.
https://www.usbasket.com/Canada/news/542464/Boulazac-inks-Kenny-Chery

Manny Diressa signs with FMP Beograd a fairly solid team in the Serbian League and Adriatic League. This should be a good test for him as a rookie pro.
https://www.usbasket.com/Canada/news/542466/FMP-Beograd-lands-Ammanuel-Diressa,-ex-Ryerson

All these guys should be available in the Qualifier windows.

mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#22 » by mojo13 » Thu Aug 2, 2018 8:12 pm

1989 wrote:
mojo13 wrote:More Qualifier team relevant signings:

Kaza Keane to Lanstede Basketbal Zwolle of the Dutch league. Dutch Basketball League (DBL), the Dutch top tier division. Don't know much baout that team or league. But hopefully that keeps him available if needed - he was close by and very available with the 905.
https://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Holland/Landstede-Basketbal-Zwolle/1249

Kenny Chery to Boulazac Basket Dordogne of the French Pro A (top division). He played quite well in the ACB last season and this seems a little of a step down (maybe?). He has not played for Canada recently but with how he played in the ACB last season I thought he was a solid under the radar PG who could help if needed.
https://www.usbasket.com/Canada/news/542464/Boulazac-inks-Kenny-Chery

Manny Diressa signs with FMP Beograd a fairly solid team in the Serbian League and Adriatic League. This should be a good test for him as a rookie pro.
https://www.usbasket.com/Canada/news/542466/FMP-Beograd-lands-Ammanuel-Diressa,-ex-Ryerson

All these guys should be available in the Qualifier windows.

Lol - Welcome to the in-season WC Qualifiers...
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#23 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Aug 2, 2018 10:59 pm

mojo13 wrote:

Great. Gets to play for Coach Gordie Herbert and fill the long line of departed Canadians - Phil Scrubb, Aaron Doornekamp and more I think. Heslip hasnt had much luck professionally so hopefully this gives him a stable environment and paycheck he needs.

Not sure if anyone followed the happenings at Trabzonspor, for which he averaged 16.0 points and 2.3 assists per game in the Turkish League least season. I am not sure if I have the full story but midseason they stopped paying him and the other foreign imports so the import players went on "strike" at a point where the team could get relegated (a big deal). It seems Brady took the brunt of the blame for encouraging the others to "strike" with the fans turning mostly on him and running him out of town. Yet another example how Euro leagues can be quite shady - Khem Birch has referenced a number of times that the best thing about being in the NBA is actually getting paid what you are owed and on time. For how high profile Brady is in our Canadian minds, it seems he has bounced around allot and never gotten much of a payday. Just considering the cultural stereotypes I can't help to think the German BSL is a more stable financial environment - with a more defined rule of law backing up player contract. The paydays in the Turkish League could be much higher, but the risk of not getting paid seems much higher as well. Maybe the rest of you know better, but the contracts in the Turkish League often don't seem worth the paper they are written on.

90% of these "players don't get paid in Europe" stories are completely made up. It's common sense actually, the same exact players every single year claim they never got paidd in Europe, yet every single year return to Europe and play the whole season there again........then claim again they never got paid.....then go back again and spent the whole season there....then say they didn't get paid again....

It's mostly a bunch of total BS. Some teams are bankrupting and guys might not get paid, so they have to go to FIBA court, who then legally forces the clubs to pay them, plus the court and lawyer fees, plus interest as well. But that's 1-2 teams in a national league, if even that. It certainly isn't teams in EuroLeague or EuroCup, because the teams are not allowed to even be in those leagues if they have any debts to players, coaches, or agents. They can't even register to the league - yet every year we hear about some EuroLeague or EuroCup team "never paid their players" - it's definitely made up in those cases, because the league will ban any such team immediately - like when they banned Partizan and Cibona for that.

A couple years ago, some reporter investigated this in Greece, since every team had players and agents claiming they never got paid - they even had a story that not a single Olympiacos player got paid once in the whole season. Upon investigation, it came out that a large number of American players almost always specifically request that their contracts be per month, not per season, and that their contracts allow for the team to pay once a month, or once in 2 months, or once in 3 months (yes, the contract says the team could choose to pay once in 3 months), and also for the contract amount to be paid ON TIME IN FULL, over a 10 month period in the calendar year (not the time the player is in the team).

In doing this, their is some kind of a scam, then where they claim they "didn't get paid in months", as soon as some team might wait 2-3 months to pay a player, then all of a sudden they "never got paid", or "didn't get paid in months", or "never got paid on time". The idea of it is, then they can automatically demand to be let out of their contract and released at any such moment their pay went over 30 days time period.

In fact, it turned out in Greek League, not a single contract was over the 3 month time period, and in cases of all teams in the league (even the smallest budgeted ones), every single American player was paid in full and on time, always, despite constant claims they never got paid.

So most of this is complete BS. Yeah, some teams crash financially and guys don't get paid, but that's rare, and even then, within a year FIBA demands it. The European court orders it, and will seize assets if they don't pay.

And again, it's so obvious, why do these players keep playing in Europe every year if they don't get paid? Why do they play for free? Why do they not play in G-League (because of not enough money), and then choose instead to play for free in Europe?

The answer of course is obviously that they don't. It's a bunch of complete BS.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#24 » by mojo13 » Sun Aug 5, 2018 11:31 pm

Anyone know what’s going on with Justin Jackson and the Magic? To my knowledge the Magic roster is full with 15 guaranteed deals and two signed two way contracts.
He is unsigned and the Magic don’t look to even have the room to signed him. Unless they waive or trade a guaranteed deal.

I am no CBA nerd but I think they need to offer him the required tender of a 1 yr minimum deal by Sept 5 or he becomes a FA. To be clear he doesn’t need to be signed for the magic to hold his rights he just needs to be offered the required tender.

I suppose he can be offered but they make a side deal that he won’t accept it and he gets parked in the G, but what does that get him? Wouldn’t he be better off as a FA? The Magic can’t even pay himself more than the G league base. Except maybe some camp deal money. Anyways I am a little confused on what the plan is for him.

Anyone know more?
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#25 » by Hair Canada » Mon Aug 6, 2018 4:38 pm

Good questions. To some extent, it seems like it might be better for some players to not even be drafted, rather than being drafted in the second round. While the latter means that you might have a team at least somewhat invested in your success in order to not waste a draft pick (as the Magic should be in this case), the former can mean an open field and more opportunities with 30 instead of just one team. Chris Boucher was able to use this last year for a two-way contract. This year, Rawle Alkins from Arizona did the same.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#26 » by Hair Canada » Tue Aug 7, 2018 4:04 pm

I was watching the U17 national championship game yesterday between Ontario and BC. BC won it fairly easily, in what could be considered an upset. Should be noted though that Ontario sent a weaker team this year. No one who was on the roster of the Canadian U17 team for the world championship last month (a couple of alternates) and about half of the team is from a younger cohort.

Still, it was nice to see BC finally putting up a talented team after a few weak years. A few notable performers on the BC side:

Diego Maffia (what a great name for a baller!), who torched ON with 34 points. A not so tall guard (6'0), but very skilled, a great shooter, and a great feel for the game. Interesting story. He grew up in Brazil (his mom is Canadian and his dad is Brazilian) and only moved to Victoria two years ago. Until then, he mostly played soccer and hardly basketball. Very impressive skill set and feel for someone who hasn't been in basketball long. Apart from him, BC had another short (5'8), but very athletic and skilled guard, Josh Kagande, who also played very well.

But the two most promising prospects for BC are actually the two bigs -- Liam McChesney and Victor Radocaj. Both are 6'8 and fairly thin (McChesney is razor thin), but both very mobile stretch fours, with a good skill set and very good shooting form. Quite suitable for the modern game, although probably not NBA-caliber prospects. Radocaj was especially impressive. He's only 16 and has made impressive progress since playing limited minutes last year with the Canadian U16 team in the FIBA Americas competition. Good length and athleticism, and a very good feel for the game. Looks like he'll have a nice career in basketball.

And by the way, I don't even think BC is the strongest/most talented team in this championship. I'd give this title to QC, which sports a couple of really nice prospects. The two are playing today, so we'll see if my hunch about it is right. Ontario will play Alberta, who's also quite talented, so overall an interesting competition this time around (there are years where ON just dominates the field as if they are the US on a youth championship).
— Steve Nash
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#27 » by Hair Canada » Tue Aug 7, 2018 6:29 pm

Ontario with another loss today, this time to Alberta. Quite unusual. A mix of a relatively weak ON team (especially the bigs) and a strong field -- QC, AB, BC, and NS all with good talent. Alberta specifically with Ben Krikke, a seven-footer center, and some nice guards, led by Brandon Muntu.
— Steve Nash
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#28 » by Hair Canada » Wed Aug 8, 2018 3:46 am

After watching all the top U17 teams in this championship, I'd be surprised if Ontario even makes it to the finals. They might fall to NS in the quarters, but if not QC would be a clear favorite in the semis.

An impressive win for QC today over BC (who beat ON yesterday) by 30 points. Wasn't even close for most of the game. QC is just too big, strong and athletic for most teams. I'm especially impressed with three QC players, all class of 2021 (that is a year younger than the competition). From what I've seen around the country, all of them are top-10 (arguably even top-5) players in this class; high-major NCAA and maybe even NBA-caliber talents (not saying they'll all get there, but the talent is there).

Bennedict Mathurin (6'5 guard) -- a great athlete (dunks over people), with good vision and a decent shooting stroke. Built well, quite strong, and aggressive. Good motor and a good defender. Can stand to improve his handle, as he's a bit turnover prone. But an exciting talent.

Olivier-Maxence Prosper (6'7 combo forward). Long, athletic and powerful. Has made great improvement since the last time I saw him a year ago. Talent was already there, but he could hardly handle and missed easy lay-ups. This year he already finishes them with confidence, improved his handle quite a bit, looks stronger and more chiseled, and even makes the occasional three, showing a decent touch. Still a lot of room to grow and develop, but he looks the part of a modern wing player with NBA potential.

Georges Lefebre (6'8 power forward). Also long and fluid athlete, who can also step out and showed a soft hand so far. Not yet as assertive and consistent as he could be, but the talent is top-notch, especially if he still has another inch or two to grow. I'd even consider him for the U19 championship next summer, even though he'll be two years younger. For me, he's a much more promising talent than the Bediako brothers -- moves much better (can stay with guards on the switch), provides better spacing, and can give more or less what they can as a rim protector.
— Steve Nash
mojo13
Veteran

Post#29 » by mojo13 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:16 am

Dang it!

Read on Twitter

These are not the positions where we have great depth. I don’t expect Barrett to be playing in September either. Or SGA going into his rookie season. I wonder if we will get a full Euro contingent like Pangos, Ennis and Phil Scrubb. That could ease the pain a bit. Man, if there was ever a time for Wiggins and Stauskas to show up.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#30 » by frumble » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Hair Canada wrote:After watching all the top U17 teams in this championship, I'd be surprised if Ontario even makes it to the finals. They might fall to NS in the quarters, but if not QC would be a clear favorite in the semis.

An impressive win for QC today over BC (who beat ON yesterday) by 30 points. Wasn't even close for most of the game. QC is just too big, strong and athletic for most teams. I'm especially impressed with three QC players, all class of 2021 (that is a year younger than the competition). From what I've seen around the country, all of them are top-10 (arguably even top-5) players in this class; high-major NCAA and maybe even NBA-caliber talents (not saying they'll all get there, but the talent is there).

Bennedict Mathurin (6'5 guard) -- a great athlete (dunks over people), with good vision and a decent shooting stroke. Built well, quite strong, and aggressive. Good motor and a good defender. Can stand to improve his handle, as he's a bit turnover prone. But an exciting talent.

Olivier-Maxence Prosper (6'7 combo forward). Long, athletic and powerful. Has made great improvement since the last time I saw him a year ago. Talent was already there, but he could hardly handle and missed easy lay-ups. This year he already finishes them with confidence, improved his handle quite a bit, looks stronger and more chiseled, and even makes the occasional three, showing a decent touch. Still a lot of room to grow and develop, but he looks the part of a modern wing player with NBA potential.

Georges Lefebre (6'8 power forward). Also long and fluid athlete, who can also step out and showed a soft hand so far. Not yet as assertive and consistent as he could be, but the talent is top-notch, especially if he still has another inch or two to grow. I'd even consider him for the U19 championship next summer, even though he'll be two years younger. For me, he's a much more promising talent than the Bediako brothers -- moves much better (can stay with guards on the switch), provides better spacing, and can give more or less what they can as a rim protector.

Thanks for the updates on the Nationals. The tournament has not been easy to follow online (at least not for me). I can't seem to find standings or playoff brackets for the U15s or U17s on the tournament website.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#31 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:38 pm

Wiggins ought to play, especially if Murray, SGA, and Brooks aren't. Get Stauskas in there, too.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#32 » by mojo13 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Andrew Nicholson expected to remain in China and sign with a different club - the Fujian Sturgeons.
https://sportando.basketball/en/asia/china/285245/andrew-nicholson-expected-to-sign-a-deal-with-fujian-sturgeons.html

This technically keeps him available to play in the WC Qualifiers in Nov/Feb - but note he he did'n't play last year while playing with a different Chinese club, although many other star CBA players played for their countries (Luis Scola, Andre Blatche).
Maybe last year was a club decision and this new one may be more willing to let him play.

I still think Andrew is a hugely valuable add if we can get him in Nov/Feb - likely our best available front court player along with Melvin Ejim.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#33 » by Hair Canada » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:32 pm

frumble wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:After watching all the top U17 teams in this championship, I'd be surprised if Ontario even makes it to the finals. They might fall to NS in the quarters, but if not QC would be a clear favorite in the semis.

Thanks for the updates on the Nationals. The tournament has not been easy to follow online (at least not for me). I can't seem to find standings or playoff brackets for the U15s or U17s on the tournament website.

The semis are today. Since it's in Kamloops, BC, they're going to be a bit late ET:

U17:
QC vs ON (9:00PM ET)
BC vs. NS (11:15 ET)

U15:
BC vs. SK (9:00)
ON vs BC (11:15)

For the U17s, Ontario squeezed a hard win against Manitoba in the quarterfinals. Were lucky not to get NS at the end, because I think they wouldn't get to the semis even. Probably the weakest team I remember them putting forward, especially the bigs. They're a real underdog against QC today and I'd be quite surprised if they get to the finals. Still, interesting to follow, mainly because or their best player, Ryan Nembhard (Andrew's brother), who's also their youngest player (could still be playing with the U15). For QC, they really put forward a strong team. Beyond the three very talented guys I mentioned earlier, they also have Jefferson Koulibaly, who played with the U16 team Canada last summer and Tre-Vaughn Minott, who played with the U17 team Canada this summer. And then a few others who are quite tood (Jahmul Telfort and Emmanuel Bonsu for example). Putting constant pressure on the ball in defense and very talented.

On the other semis, I think Nova Skotia is a favorite, though it's going to be interesting against the two BC big men I mentioned.

In the U15s, it's not even close. Ontario is head and soulders above the competition, and beat the second best team, Quebece, by 30 (although it was closer for most of the game). They're best player is Josiah Davis, a really aggressive combo guard (6'3), with a great scorer mentality. Needs to improve his shooting quite drastically, but looks like a very nice prospect. For QC, they have two promissing tall guards, Malik Montero-Francin (6'4) and Victor Bonsu (6'3). I expect the finals tomorrow to be between Ontario and QC.

to watch the games:
http://basketball.sportcast.ca/u15
http://basketball.sportcast.ca/u17
— Steve Nash
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#34 » by Mattd97 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:59 pm

mojo13 wrote:Dang it!

Read on Twitter

These are not the positions where we have great depth. I don’t expect Barrett to be playing in September either. Or SGA going into his rookie season. I wonder if we will get a full Euro contingent like Pangos, Ennis and Phil Scrubb. That could ease the pain a bit. Man, if there was ever a time for Wiggins and Stauskas to show up.

hopefully these guys really grasp that if theyre not there for these one off games this summer, there might not be anything to play in next
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#35 » by Hair Canada » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Finals day in the Canadian Nationals:

U15: 18:45 ET
U17: 21:00 ET

In the U15 we got the predictable ON vs. QC final game, with both teams winning fairly easily. Ontario is the clear favorite after beating QC by 30 earlier in the tournament. Their guard play, with Davis, Gilgeous-Glasgow, Jackson, and Clayton is just too much for any team here, even if QC has some nice guards of their own.

In the U17 it's also the final I predicted, QC vs. NS. QC actually had a much harder time than I expected against Ontario in the semis. They trailed most of the game, with a pretty selfish game, while Ontario gave their best game of the tournament. But they managed somehow to force an overtime and then won it with a last-second shot by Mathurin.

NS is the perennial overachiever in these Nationals, quite amazing given how small the province is population-wise. Three years ago they beat an Ontario team with RJ Barrett (who was admittedly two years younger) behind a legendary 50-point final game performance from Nate Darling. A year later, they won both the U17 and the U15 behind double MVP performances from the Tynes brothers (Chase in the U17 and Kellen in the U15). This year it's that team from the U15 competition again, this time playing the U17. Tynes was again the hero in the semifinals against BC, with 33 points, 10 rebounds, a couple of assists that were not counted (very bad assist keeping in this championship) and 4 steals. He leads the tournament in steals with almost 5 a game and is a really wonderful player. Too bad he's not a bit taller. Radocaj with another strong game (25 and 14) for QC, but it wasn't enough.

So QC are again the favorites in this final -- they are the more talented and athletic team and have much better size. But by this point, a NS win should not come as a surprise. They just play such great unselfish team basketball, and you just have to like them, even if none of their players is likely to end up in the NBA or even Division 1
— Steve Nash
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#36 » by Hair Canada » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:39 am

Nova Scotia wins its third U17 championship in 4 years. A fantastic achievement for this relatively-small basketball-crazy province. Kellen Tynes won the MVP, following in the footsteps of his brother Chase, who won it two years ago. Kellen is also the first in the history of this tournament to win MVP at both the U15 and the U17. To be clear, Tynes is not an NBA potential. He's about 6'0, quite thin, and a good, but not an explosive athlete. Still, he plays aggressive team basketball, has a great nose for steals, and is a player I would gladly have on my team any time. Maybe he should have been on the U17 this year.

Beyond Tynes, NS played throughout the tournament with mostly 5 guards on the court (all 5'10 to 6'3), but was able to defend and rebound well against teams with 6'8 and 6'9 bigs. In the finals, QC had on the court at given times 5 players that were all above 6'4, that is all taller than the NS "center". But they were still unable to capitalize on that and on defense playing with a traditional center like Minott actually proved to be a liability. Still, as I said before, the best players on the QC team are still young and might have a very good professional future ahead of them.
— Steve Nash
Clutch0z24
General Manager
And1: 8,020

Post#37 » by Clutch0z24 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:26 am

RJ gonna be a beast kinda mad we wont be in the running for him tbh....Yeah Kawhi is the best player we prolly will ever have for this one year but so many Uncertainty with him....

If RJ was Drafted to Raps i feel he could be a generational type talent for many many years for us
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#38 » by frumble » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Hair Canada wrote:Nova Scotia wins its third U17 championship in 4 years. A fantastic achievement for this relatively-small basketball-crazy province. Kellen Tynes won the MVP, following in the footsteps of his brother Chase, who won it two years ago. Kellen is also the first in the history of this tournament to win MVP at both the U15 and the U17. To be clear, Tynes is not an NBA potential. He's about 6'0, quite thin, and a good, but not an explosive athlete. Still, he plays aggressive team basketball, has a great nose for steals, and is a player I would gladly have on my team any time. Maybe he should have been on the U17 this year.

Beyond Tynes, NS played throughout the tournament with mostly 5 guards on the court (all 5'10 to 6'3), but was able to defend and rebound well against teams with 6'8 and 6'9 bigs. In the finals, QC had on the court at given times 5 players that were all above 6'4, that is all taller than the NS "center". But they were still unable to capitalize on that and on defense playing with a traditional center like Minott actually proved to be a liability. Still, as I said before, the best players on the QC team are still young and might have a very good professional future ahead of them.

Thanks for the updates through the tournament.

Re the bolded, yes, it would have been nice if he had at least been in the tryout camp.
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#39 » by frumble » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:58 pm

NBAdraft.net with a new mock 2019 draft out.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

Barrett still #1
NAW 13 (up from 18)
Shi-ttu 21 (down from 17)
Wigginton 28 (up from 30)
Brandon Clarke 48 (from not listed) (you called it, Mojo)

Brissett not listed (was 26)

This is a full two-round mock, so a little surprising re Brissett. No Dort or any other Canadians either.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#40 » by mojo13 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:30 pm

Interesting to see Clarke show up already.
I figured he need to play first before he jumped out to people.
I do follow Gonzaga fairly closely and keep hearing rumors about how he’s routinely been their best player in practice this past year. And the Zags might be a top 2 or 3 team this year.
He is an elite NBA caliber athlete but as a very late bloomer, at a no name program in SJSU and at only 6’8 without a half decent shooting stroke most didn’t considering him an NBA prospect. I’m certainly not sold he is yet until I see him excel against top competition, but it is always cool to see a guy come out of the deep woods like this. Even more under the radar than Olynyk.

Return to Toronto Raptors