ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2081 » by BilboBanginz » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:10 pm

A cautionary Canadian basketball tale. This guy had a lot of potential.

Read on Twitter
WellYouKnow
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#2082 » by WellYouKnow » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Watching the replay now and Brissett is impressing me

Not shooting well but really active defensively, handles the ball well and has made some nice passes

Could be a lot more important to this team than I would have guessed
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#2083 » by mojo13 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:40 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:A cautionary Canadian basketball tale. This guy had a lot of potential.

Read on Twitter

Didnt he get in legal trouble coming out of high school that scuttled his NCAA chances? I believe he had an accepted offer with Xavier and was close to heading there when he had a run in with the police. Resisting arrest or assaulting a police officer or something. Kid has a pro career in Europe ahead of him.

Edit:
"It’s the second time Ekiyor has been charged with a crime in Ottawa. As an 18-year-old, he pleaded guilty to charges of criminal negligence causing bodily harm and failure to remain at the scene after his car struck an off-duty Ottawa police officer on Aug. 8, 2015.
Shortly after the incident, Ekiyor committed to Carleton rather than play collegiately at Xavier of the NCAA’s Big East Conference."
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-former-carleton-basketball-star-eddie-ekiyor-charged-with-sexual/
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#2084 » by Alfred » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:56 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:So who's gonna get cut?

These 11 I'd say are pretty much set:

Pangos / Nembhard / P. Scrubb

Joseph / Heslip

Ejim / T. Scrubb

Wiltjer / Brissett

Birch / Klassen

That leaves the 12th spot for one of Kajami-Keane, Best, & Notice. All three have a case.

Do you think they’re going to play CoJo off ball? Pangos is definitely better on ball than off.
TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Post#2085 » by TrueNorth31 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:05 pm

WellYouKnow wrote:
TrueNorth31 wrote:Game stats - It's just an exhibition, but impressive. Now if we can get CBC to put up the archived game we'll be in business.

https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/AUSO/1313248/bs.html

Really interesting to me that they held Mills and Delly to a combined 9 of 27.

I didn't watch the game, only saw the shortened highlight version so I can't say what lead to it.

Obviously Delly was horrific just based on the box score and the bits I've read on Twitter, but does anyone have any insight? Was this a Nurse masterclass or just a really bad shooting night for the Aussie guards?

Apparently Delly has been reworking his god awful shot mechanic's and appears to be struggling a bit with his new form ( i. e.wants a quicker release ).
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#2086 » by TrueNorth31 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:11 pm

YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,489

Post#2087 » by YelloC » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:13 pm

What would a good comparable for Nembhard be?
From measurements and stats, it seems he is similar to SGA or Delon Wright.
I wonder if Nurse is recruiting him. He fits the length and versatility of the team and Nurse seems quite impressed with his game.
super_balls
Starter
And1: 1,837

Post#2088 » by super_balls » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:35 pm

YelloC wrote:What would a good comparable for Nembhard be?
I wonder if Nurse is recruiting him. He fits the length and versatility of the team and Nurse seems quite impressed with his game.

Tall Tyler Ennis.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#2089 » by mojo13 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:48 pm

super_balls wrote:

Tall Tyler Ennis.

Ennis isn't really short is he? I mean he is still 6'3 or so - not bad for a PG (not great either). He just can't shoot the ball from distance well enough to overcome that he also doesn't have elite athleticism either (he struggles finish inside the paint against real size).

Hopefully Nembhard can be more than just two inch taller Tyler Ennis - but maybe that is good enough to stick in the NBA. Ennis is just on the edge.
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#2090 » by TrueNorth31 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:03 pm

mojo13 wrote:
super_balls wrote:

Tall Tyler Ennis.

Ennis isn't really short is he? I mean he is still 6'3 or so - not bad for a PG (not great either). He just can't shoot the ball from distance well enough to overcome that he also doesn't have elite athleticism either (he struggles finish inside the paint against real size).

Hopefully Nembhard can be more than just a taller Tyler Ennis - but maybe that is good enough to stick in the NBA. Ennis is just on the edge.

Ennis according to the NBA combine measurements is 6'1" but with a 6'7" reach. I would say it's a reasonable comparison though , both are only average athletes, but both are quite skilled in terms of running an offence. Nembhard is a little taller and a better shooter so I agree with you he's likely an NBA player. This tournament could really improve his draft stock. I still can't believe he's able to play. I imagine he attended summer school so he's maintained the number of courses he needs to take to stay on-course to graduate ( that's a big thing in D1 - even if he intends to leave after this year - the NCAA monitors this and coach compensation is often directly tied to this factor).
Bobby Plump
Junior
And1: 214

Post#2091 » by Bobby Plump » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:12 pm

This team doesn't need Cujo. They are doing fine without him.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#2092 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:14 pm

that australian team had Patty Mills and Joe Ingles, two seriously lethal NBA players, not to mention Delladova and old Bogut. pretty impressive win for Canada.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#2093 » by PoundTown » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:13 pm

Let’s get behind these guys. Not trying to get too high here, but let’s get Cory back in the fold, and see what these guys can do. One thing I do know, is there is some experience playing with eachother, guys with a lot of heart, and a great coach. If they don’t make it out of their bracket, they should be able to do enough to get us to the qualifiers next year.
young11a
Rookie
And1: 1,587

Post#2094 » by young11a » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:34 pm

Delladova being in the nba is hilarious
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#2095 » by Alfred » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:08 am

Bobby Plump wrote:This team doesn't need Cujo. They are doing fine without him.

Cojo has been one of Team Canada’s most consistent performers, not having him available would make the team worse.
Bobby Plump
Junior
And1: 214

Post#2096 » by Bobby Plump » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:36 am

Alfred wrote:

Cojo has been one of Team Canada’s most consistent performers, not having him available would make the team worse.

Yeah, but Cujo did not show up, did he? That's the point.
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#2097 » by Mattd97 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:36 am

Bobby Plump wrote:
Alfred wrote:

Yeah, but Cujo did not show up, did he? That's the point.

Nurse said today cojo was playing in the world cup and coming to Australia. That's kindve the bigger point. Unless curtis Joseph bailing on Canada basketball actually IS the point
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,746

Post#2098 » by And1Skip » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:17 am

USA vs Spain on right now. Get to see how Marc Gasol is playing and also how Sergio Scariolo coaches his team
mojo13
Veteran

Post#2099 » by mojo13 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:28 am

And1Skip wrote:USA vs Spain on right now. Get to see how Marc Gasol is playing and also how Sergio Scariolo coaches his team

Gasol looks like he’s been drinking on the parade bus all summer long.
Mart1546
Junior
And1: 137

Post#2100 » by Mart1546 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:02 am

Not really Team Canada related but just a theory on why many players have dropped out. After watching CJ McCollum's interview with Woj, I feel like a lot of players have the same mindset that their teams are the ones who are providing their hefty salary, so they would rather focus on the team than playing for the world cup. I'm sure team executives and staff members are also in some players' ears about looking for the team's best interests firsts. One of the biggest knocks on Yao Ming's career was his durability, which many critics blamed on his heavy involvement on China's team and international play, which led to him not being able rest during off seasons. While I do think players should take pride in playing for their country, I also don't think they should be criticized for looking out for their careers as well.

Return to Toronto Raptors