ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#3121 » by BilboBanginz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 pm

Read on Twitter
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#3122 » by Kenter16 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:25 am

BilboBanginz wrote:
Read on Twitter
Great news for Alexander. What does it mean for Olynyk??

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
SpaceCenter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Post#3123 » by SpaceCenter » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:17 am

Kenter16 wrote:
BilboBanginz wrote:
Read on Twitter
Great news for Alexander. What does it mean for Olynyk??

It means we can trade for him for nothing.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#3124 » by SharoneWright » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:35 am

mojo13 wrote:
mojo13 wrote:Not that I have ever been a huge Paul George fan but with the way SGA and Gallinari are playing, did the Thunder win the trade if we are looking at just that player swap? Not even including the four unprotected first-round picks, a protected first-round pick and two future pick swaps. I suppose you need to consider that Gallinari's contract is expiring and they can lose him.

The Thunder are legit. Beat the Rockets easily last night and recent wins over the Mavs, Clippers, Raps, Only on two losses in the last 13 games and only four games behind the 3 seed Clippers.

Just came here to tell myself what a good post this was. :D

Seriously though a 20-20-10 trip dub by SGA tonight. One of only 5 now have ever done that and he is the youngest.

Seriously, both the rumoured Pascal package for George and the actual SGA package tilt heavily to OKC. Say what you will about Kawhi, but he's got no future as an NBA GM.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#3125 » by mojo13 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:41 pm

A reminder that this is still happening and sort of matters.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Will be curious to see what the roster ends up looking like. Non two way Gleaguers our best hope (XRM, Wigginton, Mulder, Shittu) Maybe a couple a Euro pros show up?
Is Heslip in shape and looking to add to add to his legend. Joel Anthony, or Kyle Landry rising from the grave? Some Usport sprinkled in? is Kadre Gray still in school?

Or are we going to be blessed with a Grandy Graze sighting?
Kenter16
Junior

Post#3126 » by Kenter16 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:55 pm

mojo13 wrote:A reminder that this is still happening and sort of matters.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Will be curious to see what the roster ends up looking like. Non two way Gleaguers our best hope (XRM, Wigginton, Mulder, Shittu) Maybe a couple a Euro pros show up?
Is Heslip in shape and looking to add to add to his legend. Joel Anthony, or Kyle Landry rising from the grave? Some Usport sprinkled in? is Kadre Gray still in school?

Or are we going to be blessed with a Grandy Graze sighting?
Should be an interesting roster. It will be weird to watch these games without Heslip.
I would guess it will be made of mostly North American players, like you said, as Euroleague Basketball will be going on at the same time. Interestingly enough Barcelona plays Panathinikos on the 21st, Rautins vs Pangos.
Kyle Alexander would have been a candidate.

Sent from my SM-T387W using RealGM mobile app
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3127 » by mojo13 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Any of you guys know of the best players active domestically. I don't follow the CEBL or NBL a lick...or Usports for that matter.

Some ofthe EuroBasket Qualifier rosters are being released already, and it looks like Lithuania at least has many of their top Euro based players playing - some EuroLeaguers as well. So maybe we see some guys fromn Europe show up. Eurobasket is much, much more serious than the AmeriCup though.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#3128 » by Kenter16 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:25 pm

mojo13 wrote:Any of you guys know of the best players active domestically. I don't follow the CEBL or NBL a lick...or Usports for that matter.

Some ofthe EuroBasket Qualifier rosters are being released already, and it looks like Lithuania at least has many of their top Euro based players playing - some EuroLeaguers as well. So maybe we see some guys fromn Europe show up. Eurobasket is much, much more serious than the AmeriCup though.

The CEBL is a summer league. So, those players are more likely playing in other leagues at this time. Not sure we would be calling up any guys from the NBL, but if you have to you have to.
What about Anthony Bennett? He has gone quiet since his surgery, maybe he would be ready and needs a showcase in order to let teams know he is ready. Justin Jackson might be in the same boat.
If we could get our top G League guys without NBA contracts, we will be just fine no matter who else fills out the roster.
A starting 5 of Ennis, XRM, Mulder, Wigginton and Shittu would easily be favoured in a game against the DR. Duane Notice is also a solid option.
These qualifiers should be very easy for us. We have to finish top 3 in our 4 team group that includes Cuba, US Virgin Islands and Domincan Republic.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3129 » by mojo13 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:09 pm

Kenter16 wrote:
mojo13 wrote:Any of you guys know of the best players active domestically. I don't follow the CEBL or NBL a lick...or Usports for that matter.

The CEBL is a summer league. So, those players are more likely playing in other leagues at this time. Not sure we would be calling up any guys from the NBL, but if you have to you have to.
What about Anthony Bennett? He has gone quiet since his surgery, maybe he would be ready and needs a showcase in order to let teams know he is ready. Justin Jackson might be in the same boat.
If we could get our top G League guys without NBA contracts, we will be just fine no matter who else fills out the roster.
A starting 5 of Ennis, XRM, Mulder, Wigginton and Shittu would easily be favoured in a game against the DR. Duane Notice is also a solid option.
These qualifiers should be very easy for us. We have to finish top 3 in our 4 team group that includes Cuba, US Virgin Islands and Domincan Republic.

You never know as we have no idea what kind of teams we will be facing. We split with DR in the WC qualification with what would be a much better Canadian team than we field here. The USVI took us down in the last AmeriCup when we were sporting Andrew Nicholson, XRM, Hanlan, Joel Anthony, Heslip & Dyshawn Pierre. Who knows how depleted they will be here, but it is not like either country has loads of unavailable pros in top leagues - they could be playing with much of their core intact. Yeah we should have way more talent to pull from, but we can easily be surprised here. We have been caught often by way less talent, but more cohesive teams before (cough...cough...Venezuela). But yeah....hopefully an easy peasy process.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#3130 » by Kenter16 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:31 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Kenter16 wrote:

You never know as we have no idea what kind of teams we will be facing. We split with DR in the WC qualification with what would be a much better Canadian team than we field here. The USVI took us down in the last AmeriCup when we were sporting Andrew Nicholson, XRM, Hanlan, Joel Anthony, Heslip & Dyshawn Pierre. Who knows how depleted they will be here, but it is not like either country has loads of unavailable pros in top leagues - they could be playing with much of their core intact. Yeah we should have way more talent to pull from, but we can easily be surprised here. We have been caught often by way less talent, but more cohesive teams before (cough...cough...Venezuela). But yeah....hopefully an easy peasy process.
Even if we drop 3 of 4 to USVI and DR, all we have to do is beat Cuba. 3 wins basically guarantees us advancement to Americup 2021. 2 wins might get us through too. Just have to get more wins than Cuba.

frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#3131 » by frumble » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:43 pm

Maybe Junior Cadougan will make his triumphant return to the national team.

Malcolm Duvivier? Marvelle Waithe? Kemy Osse?
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,454

Post#3132 » by aminiaturebuddha » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:12 pm

Does anyone know much about Benedict Mathurin? I see that North Pole Hoops has him listed as their top player for the 2021 class. I don't always agree with their rankings, but in this case I have nothing to go on. I see that he's been part of the NBA Academy Latin America, and there's a couple of intriguing Youtube videos out there, but has anyone actually seen him play? Does he warrant being mentioned as one of the top players in his class?
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3133 » by mojo13 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:56 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Does anyone know much about Benedict Mathurin? I see that North Pole Hoops has him listed as their top player for the 2021 class. I don't always agree with their rankings, but in this case I have nothing to go on. I see that he's been part of the NBA Academy Latin America, and there's a couple of intriguing Youtube videos out there, but has anyone actually seen him play? Does he warrant being mentioned as one of the top players in his class?

I don't dig into the highschoolers much - may HairCanada can give us some insight. But here is some more info - choosing between Arizona and Baylor, so he has to be decent.

https://www.ktbs.com/sports/national/haitian-canadian-wing-ben-mathurin-to-pick-either-arizona-or/article_c90babea-a1d8-52c7-9476-5620d4b28734.html

"According to 247, Mathurin took visits to Baylor and Arizona in November and is scheduled to announce his choice between the two on Wednesday.

Mathurin is listed as a two-star prospect on Verbal Commits but 247's Evan Daniels wrote last month that he's "a four-star level prospect and once he announces for a college will be ranked as a top 100 recruit."

During the Tarkanian Classic, Daniels said Mathurin was an "intriguing wing prospect with upside," having long arms and athleticism.

"Offensively, Mathurin is still an effective playmaker and scorer. He has good instincts, makes plays in transition, does a good job of making plays off the bounce and is an improving shooter from long-range off the catch," Daniels wrote. "One thing Mathurin does really well is finish around the rim through contact and over contests.

"Defensively, Mathurin has potential to be a good multi-positional defender as he has the tools, athleticism and instincts to defend both wings and ones if he has to."

Some video
;feature=youtu.be

He's got some bounce...
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3134 » by mojo13 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:25 am

He selected Arizona today.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#3135 » by Hair Canada » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:25 am

I like Ben quite a bit and liked him for about 2 years now. I thought he was perhaps the best player in his class when NPH didn't have him in their top-10 (they're sometimes a bit slow to actually recognize the best long-term prospects). He's one of a few really good players coming out of QC in the last few years and might be the best of them. Watched him play with his NBA SA team against Vanier with Karim Mane a couple of weeks ago. I thought he looked a more promising prospect than Mane, especially considering that he's two years younger. A better outside shooter and decision maker. Also liked him a lot in the last two summer Nationals. Very good athlete, improved shooter, good handle. Always hard to say for sure, but I think he's a future leaguer. I think he's a better future prospect than any current Canadian freshman in the NCAA and arguably the best CA highschool player right now.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3136 » by mojo13 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:22 pm

frumble wrote:Maybe Junior Cadougan will make his triumphant return to the national team.

Malcolm Duvivier? Marvelle Waithe? Kemy Osse?

That's going into the deep end of the pool.

I'm always a believer Canada Basketball uses the images of guys they think are playing in their marketing material. So far on Twitter they are using Aaron Best - this is interesting as he is in Greece playing for PAOK (starting I believe). So perhaps we will see some of the regulars like the Scrubb brothers, Ejim, Wiltjer, Keane, Hanlan, Ejim, Morgan - however you'd expect some of those guys are bigger names that you'd expect them to used over Best. Would love to see some guys who havn't been involved in the past get in there too - Dylan Ennis, Kenny Chery, Dejan Kravic would be my top choices . Regardless even Aaron Best is better than I expected (if accurate).
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3137 » by mojo13 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:58 pm

Also wanted to point out Aaron Best's club is PAOK which is a FIBA Champions League club. I've seen blurbs that FIBA is pressuring it clubs to release guys to play so that puts guys like Kyle Wiltjer, Dyshawn Pierre, Mikyle Macintosh, Tommy Scrubb, Owen Klassen & Dylan Ennis as perhaps more accessible.

But I'm seeing EuroCup guys on European rosters already - for France, Alex Toupane (Unicaja - Melivin Ejim) is playing. Also saw Mustafa Fall which is Klye Wiltjers team mate at Turk Telecom.

Plenty of other good players not playing EuroLeague or EuroCup (which has historically been more protective of players) including Phil Scrubb, Kaza Keane, Olivier Hanlan, Kassius Robertson.

USA Basketball announced they are using mostly G League guys - so that may give us access to some of Wigginton, Shittu, Mulder, XRM, Ennis and Notice.

I dont see us getting any EuroLegae guys (Stauskas, Pangos, Doornekamp, Rautins) and am iffy about EuroCup players - Ejim, Chery, Morgan
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#3138 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:13 pm

mojo13 wrote:Also wanted to point out Aaron Best's club is PAOK which is a FIBA Champions League club. I've seen blurbs that FIBA is pressuring it clubs to release guys to play so that puts guys like Kyle Wiltjer, Dyshawn Pierre, Mikyle Macintosh, Tommy Scrubb, Owen Klassen & Dylan Ennis as perhaps more accessible.

But I'm seeing EuroCup guys on European rosters already - for France, Alex Toupane (Unicaja - Melivin Ejim) is playing. Also saw Mustafa Fall which is Klye Wiltjers team mate at Turk Telecom.

Plenty of other good players not playing EuroLeague or EuroCup (which has historically been more protective of players) including Phil Scrubb, Kaza Keane, Olivier Hanlan, Kassius Robertson.

USA Basketball announced they are using mostly G League guys - so that may give us access to some of Wigginton, Shittu, Mulder, XRM, Ennis and Notice.

I dont see us getting any EuroLegae guys (Stauskas, Pangos, Doornekamp, Rautins) and am iffy about EuroCup players - Ejim, Chery, Morgan

Last year EuroLeague had an open time in the schedule for EuroCup players to play in the windows. So they should probably be available, just not the EuroLeague players.

As far as Dejan Kravic goes, I have mentioned him several times here before. I have no idea why Canada does not offer him a place. he is way better than guys like Klassen and Landry and players like that. Unless he refuses to play with them or something, it makes no sense.

Kenter16 wrote:Should be an interesting roster. It will be weird to watch these games without Heslip.
I would guess it will be made of mostly North American players, like you said, as Euroleague Basketball will be going on at the same time. Interestingly enough Barcelona plays Panathinikos on the 21st, Rautins vs Pangos.
Kyle Alexander would have been a candidate.

Pangos still hasn't played this year, and I don't know if there is much playing time for Rautins on Panathinaikos. Unless Pitino completely benches Nikos Pappas or something, I don't see where he gets much playing time - probably like 10 minutes a game or something, or maybe not playing at all.

On the other hand, Pappas has bad knees and maybe that's why they signed Rautins, because Pappas often misses 2-3 months, due to knee issues. In that case, then Rautins could maybe have like 15-18 minutes or something like that.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#3139 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:15 pm

Nikos Zisis' agent implied on Twitter that Zisis and Vassilis Spanoulis are going to play with Greece this summer. If that is true, then Greece's team just got significantly stronger than it has been in recent years.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#3140 » by Kenter16 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:16 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

All we need is this guy!

Return to Toronto Raptors