ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#761 » by frumble » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:46 pm

Re the guard situation for the Worlds, I share the concerns mentioned above re SGA, Murray, Barrett, and Stauskas. I didn't realize Joseph will be a FA - hopefully he signs early and can play.

I don't think any of us expected all five, or even four of those guards to be available, but would be nice to have two or three, including at least one of SGA, Murray, and Barrett.

IMHO its a fairly big drop off from them to Pangos, Scrubb, Heslip, XRM, Best, Keane, etc.

At wing I agree that Brooks is doubtful and Wiggins highly doubtful. I think T. Scrubb is highly likely to make the team.

I feel best about the bigs - Olynyk, Powell, and TT are more reliable than the NBA guards/wings, and I think our non-NBA bigs (Ejim, Birch, Boucher, Bennett, Nicholson, Wiltjer, Anthony, etc.) are both better and more likely to play than our non-NBA guards/wings.
(at this point I am considering Lyles a remote possibility at best).

With all that being said, whose participation do you think would do the most to boost Canada's chances in September?
Murray?
SGA?
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#762 » by mojo13 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:55 pm

Murray no doubt. He has to be viewed as our most dynamic and likely best player. He is also a great fit for FIBA ball and could by a wonderful pairing with Olynyk (a similar player to Jokic) and with any of TT/Birch/Powell screening and rolling.

SGA is up there... but still behind Murray and then CoJo in importance. He may be a better player than CoJo already but I want CoJos expierence, leadership and defensive intensity.

I’d bump Barrett down the list too into the Stauskas/Pangos realm. He could be a much higher upside but he is a weak outside shooter right now - which is at the premium in FIBA. Barrett looks like he can get to the paint, but he can’t pass out if it very well. And he will get crushed by FIBA bigs who can pack the paint and be way more physical. We don’t need RJ figuring this out on the fly in the WCs. If no Brooks, then I’d be happy to see Barrett but we really need to load up on outside shooting. We are going to run into way better bigs than we have in the FIBA America’s. Thus why there is a huge role for guys like Stauskas, Heslip, Pangos, and/or Wiltjer etc.
TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Post#763 » by TrueNorth31 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 5:28 pm

Yes Echenique is a big loss for them - he plays in the Japanese B League ( same league as Robert Sacre ).

https://basketball.asia-basket.com/player/Echenique-Gregory/Japan/Shimane-Susanoo-Magic/111019

They have brought back point guard Cubillian though who'll help them. It really is quite amazing they have a team at all given the political and social unrest in Venezuela. They play tough and play well together - quite the group.
TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Post#764 » by TrueNorth31 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 6:35 pm

Stauskas traded again - and now will be waived.

Read on Twitter
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#765 » by Hair Canada » Thu Feb 7, 2019 7:06 pm

Interesting developments in Dallas, which create a unique opportunity for Dwight Powell. After trading DeAndre Jordan for the injured Porzingis, then trading Harrison Barnes for the injured and probably soon-to-be-waved Zach Randolph, and then also waiving Salah Mejri, Dallas is left with a remarkably-thin frontcourt. They have no centers. Powell, Max Kleber, and the 40yo Nowitzki are the only bigs on the roster (I don't count the younger Antetokounmpo, who hasn't played a single minute this season).

They might go super small with Finney-Smith or Justin Jackson at the PF, but you would think (hope) that Powell should be the starting center on this team, and even if not, he should get plenty of minutes with his efficiency.

First signs of this yesterday, with 27 minutes (the most he played all season) and nice production: 11 points, 12 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. He's a player I really like; very efficient and low-maintenance. His per-40 season numbers are 20 and 10, with a 65% true shooting and a PER of 20. This might be his big chance to show that he can be an opening 5 in this league.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#766 » by frumble » Thu Feb 7, 2019 7:35 pm

Hair Canada wrote:Interesting developments in Dallas, which create a unique opportunity for Dwight Powell. After trading DeAndre Jordan for the injured Porzingis, then trading Harrison Barnes for the injured and probably soon-to-be-waved Zach Randolph, and then also waiving Salah Mejri, Dallas is left with a remarkably-thin frontcourt. They have no centers. Powell, Max Kleber, and the 40yo Nowitzki are the only bigs on the roster (I don't count the younger Antetokounmpo, who hasn't played a single minute this season).

They might go super small with Finney-Smith or Justin Jackson at the PF, but you would think (hope) that Powell should be the starting center on this team, and even if not, he should get plenty of minutes with his efficiency.

First signs of this yesterday, with 27 minutes (the most he played all season) and nice production: 11 points, 12 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. He's a player I really like; very efficient and low-maintenance. His per-40 season numbers are 20 and 10, with a 65% true shooting and a PER of 20. This might be his big chance to show that he can be an opening 5 in this league.

Its about time.
Has a more efficient player ever received less playing time than Powell has had the last couple years?

So where do people think Stauskas will end up?
mojo13
Veteran

Post#767 » by mojo13 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 5:06 am

frumble wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:Interesting developments in Dallas, which create a unique opportunity for Dwight Powell. After trading DeAndre Jordan for the injured Porzingis, then trading Harrison Barnes for the injured and probably soon-to-be-waved Zach Randolph, and then also waiving Salah Mejri, Dallas is left with a remarkably-thin frontcourt. They have no centers. Powell, Max Kleber, and the 40yo Nowitzki are the only bigs on the roster (I don't count the younger Antetokounmpo, who hasn't played a single minute this season).

Its about time.
Has a more efficient player ever received less playing time than Powell has had the last couple years?

So where do people think Stauskas will end up?

Brandon Wright was like Powell - hugely efficient and limited minutes. And with the Mavs too.

50/50 Stauskas lands anywhere in the NBA ever again. He is just not that good a player. Not even a great three point shooter which is supposed to be his calling card (.34 career 3pt%) Not sure what else he does anywhere near the average NBA level. He’s played 311 games averaging 20 minutes per game in his career. Can’t say he hasnt had enough chances. Ennis and Nicholson had far less opportunity.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,417

Post#768 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sat Feb 9, 2019 9:26 pm

Sometimes you can learn more about a player in a losing effort than you can in a good win. This afternoon, Iowa State lost a bad game at home against underdog TCU, and Shayok and Wigginton were both off on their shots all day.

But Shayok never gave up. He just keep playing hard and making plays, trying to will his team back into it in the second half, even though it was clear that it was a day when Iowa State just didn't have it. He led them back to within single digits, but they couldn't make it all the way back. Shayok finished with 24 points and 7 rebounds, and even though they didn't win, he really showed me something with his drive and effort.

If his shooting today isn't indicative of his abilities (and I don't think it is, because he's shooting .391 on the year from 3 on 5 attempts a game), I think he's the kind of player that teams could really target with a second round draft pick. We'll see how the rest of the year goes, but I was impressed.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#769 » by mojo13 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:12 pm

INwas once again mesmerized by Brandon Clarke watching the Zags smash St Mary’s last night. So athletic, quick, fluid....just insane hops and timing. Great touch too with some near unguardable post moves and spins. Good passing too, and even hit a three.
I have to say I consider him the best Canadian in the NCAA right now better than Barrett and a top 5 player in the NCAA. Probably top 3. There Zion, Clarke and maybe Grant Williams? Who else?

If Clarke shows a solid outside shot in the draft workouts he is going top 10.

And totally agree on Shayok. I’d be surprised if was not drafted at this point.

Kabengele is really playing well as all, looks like the best player on FSU despite coming off the bench and playing around 20mins a game. Perhaps he is is just feasting on other bench units but he is leading FSU in scoring. Any thoughts on him declaring this year? 1st round material? Not seeing him on mocks quite yet but that could change quickly with the way he is playing.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#770 » by Hair Canada » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:33 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Sometimes you can learn more about a player in a losing effort than you can in a good win. This afternoon, Iowa State lost a bad game at home against underdog TCU, and Shayok and Wigginton were both off on their shots all day.

But Shayok never gave up. He just keep playing hard and making plays, trying to will his team back into it in the second half, even though it was clear that it was a day when Iowa State just didn't have it. He led them back to within single digits, but they couldn't make it all the way back. Shayok finished with 24 points and 7 rebounds, and even though they didn't win, he really showed me something with his drive and effort.

If his shooting today isn't indicative of his abilities (and I don't think it is, because he's shooting .391 on the year from 3 on 5 attempts a game), I think he's the kind of player that teams could really target with a second round draft pick. We'll see how the rest of the year goes, but I was impressed.

I agree (horrible game for Iowa State by the way, especially Horton-Tucker). A very efficient player offensively, with a great mindset and very consistent. I'm trying to think why he's still of draft boards, and there are a couple of things, beyond the obvious age issue. First, despite his defensive potential (good height and long wingspan), he's not a lock-down defender, and the current game was another example of how he sometimes loses focus and lets opponents go by him fairly easily. He's not a bad defender, but I thought this could be his calling card at the next level and right now it doesn't look like it. So that leaves him really dependent on shooting the ball well because he'll have a hard time overpowering or going by guys at the next level (not a great athlete). His free throw percentage (almost 90%) and his percent from 3 leave room for optimism, but he'll need to maintain that and he can be a bit stricky from 3. In any case, I'm really rooting for him. He's been such a nice surprise this year although I did believe that he could make some noise.
— Steve Nash
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#771 » by Hair Canada » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:43 pm

mojo13 wrote:INwas once again mesmerized by Brandon Clarke watching the Zags smash St Mary’s last night. So athletic, quick, fluid....just insane hops and timing. Great touch too with some near unguardable post moves and spins. Good passing too, and even hit a three.
I have to say I consider him the best Canadian in the NCAA right now better than Barrett and a top 5 player in the NCAA. Probably top 3. There Zion, Clarke and maybe Grant Williams? Who else?

If Clarke shows a solid outside shot in the draft workouts he is going top 10.

And totally agree on Shayok. I’d be surprised if was not drafted at this point.

Kabengele is really playing well as all, looks like the best player on FSU despite coming off the bench and playing around 20mins a game. Perhaps he is is just feasting on other bench units but he is leading FSU in scoring. Any thoughts on him declaring this year? 1st round material? Not seeing him on mocks quite yet but that could change quickly with the way he is playing.

For Clarke, I'm totally sold. He's been so efficient and it's just a pleasure watching him. Great energies, soft touch, and fantastic timing. Kudos again for spotting him so early. Quite amazing that he's not in the list of top-20 candidates for POY. I swear that the people who do these things just don't really watch games. He's gonna be special.

For Kabengele, no, he's not really playing against second units (which is much less of a thing in college basketball). He comes off the bench after like 5 minutes and is gaining confidence by the game (a bit too much yesterday with a few wild threes). Yes, if he can continue the ride from the last 8 games (18 points, 8 rebounds, 11 three-pointers on 55% and 1.5 blocks) he's definitely first round material for this year. Still a bit heavy on defense and needs to learn how to stay with guards on the pick and roll. But another very pleasant surprise.
— Steve Nash
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,417

Post#772 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:39 pm

I've been a supporter of Kabengele since I first saw him in ACC play last year. And Hair is right that he still needs to work on his defensive awareness. We had been wondering why we hadn't seen him in any of the Canadian junior programs before. I learned yesterday that apparently he was only 6-2 until a massive growth spurt near the end of high school. For me this is a positive sign, as it probably means that he's still figuring out how to play as a "big", and is likely to continue to improve his understanding of the game with time.

I think late 1st round is definitely in the cards for him if he declares for the draft this year, and a team might be lucky to get a guy who just seems to continue getting better every game at this stage of his career that late in the draft.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#773 » by mojo13 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:06 pm

Interesting read from Jon Chepkevich, the Director of Scouting, for the Pro BBall Combine on Marial Shayok and his outlook. Its good support for those boosters here touting him as a possible second rounder. They peg him more of a UFA/two-way contract type but a legit NBA prospect nonetheless.

http://www.professionalbasketballcombine.com/news/pbc-senior-spotlight-marial-shayok
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#774 » by BilboBanginz » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:26 pm

Team USA Roster announced for the Nike Hoop Summit

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25995030/james-wiseman-cole-anthony-vernon-carey-lead-2019-nike-hoop-summit-us-roster

Will any Canadians will be on the World roster this year? Might be the first year in a while without one.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#775 » by Hair Canada » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:52 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:Team USA Roster announced for the Nike Hoop Summit

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25995030/james-wiseman-cole-anthony-vernon-carey-lead-2019-nike-hoop-summit-us-roster

Will any Canadians will be on the World roster this year? Might be the first year in a while without one.

Good question. With the reclassification of Barrett, Nembhard, and Lawson, the class of 2019 remains one of the weakest Canadian classes in recent memory. Quincy Guerrier would have a shot, but he just graduated last month as well, so I don't think he's eligible. Maybe Emanuel Miller or Tyrese Samuel, but in all honesty, I'm not sure they are good enough. Then again, I also don't think the international 2019 field is that impressive, so who knows. Still, for sure prospects like Doumbouya (France), Samanic (Croatia), Koprivica (Serbia), Drell (Estonia), Zagars (Latvia), Sirvydis (Lithuania), or Obiesie (Germany) look more promising and deserving. But perhaps beyond that, Miller and Samuel also have a shot.

Addison Patterson from the class of 2020 is arguably better than both Miller and Samuel, but if we're going to 2020 then that's a really strong international class, including the 3 Frenchmen of the apocalypse (Hayes, Maledon, and Cazalon), the Israeli Avdija (arguably the most talented of them all), the "Italian" Mannion, the German Wagner (Mo's perhaps more talented brother), and another Antetokounmpo brother (perhaps the most talented since Giannis).
— Steve Nash
WellYouKnow
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#776 » by WellYouKnow » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:38 am

Joel Anthony had 6 blocks against AEK today. They lost the game but still very impressive

Read on Twitter
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#777 » by Patman » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:52 am

WellYouKnow wrote:Joel Anthony had 6 blocks against AEK today. They lost the game but still very impressive

Read on Twitter

The difference in footspeed in the Euro Leagues vs. the NBA is astounding. Joel is a plodding big man by NBA standards but is looking like prime Kirilenko in this video.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#778 » by mojo13 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Some serious drama coming out of Venezuela and a possibility that the team doesn’t make it to Canada.
Supposedly someone within their federation stole a bunch of funds dedicated to the team for travel and salary. Visas were never processed for Canada. And their really is no Canadian embassy working in Venezuela now with the current turmoil.

Supposedly the Canadian embassy in DR is stepping up and trying to process all the players since they are already in DR. Not sure if that clears up the money issues but it is a good first start.

We need this game to avenge ourselves!

Would be nice if a wealthy county like Canada can help out with food/accommodation or whatever else while they are our guests.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,597

Post#779 » by UcanUwill » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Patman wrote:
WellYouKnow wrote:Joel Anthony had 6 blocks against AEK today. They lost the game but still very impressive

Read on Twitter

The difference in footspeed in the Euro Leagues vs. the NBA is astounding. Joel is a plodding big man by NBA standards but is looking like prime Kirilenko in this video.

What cup is this? Outside of TA Euroleague, I completely out on Euro club ball these days
WellYouKnow
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#780 » by WellYouKnow » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:28 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Patman wrote:

Read on Twitter

What cup is this? Outside of TA Euroleague, I completely out on Euro club ball these days

The intercontinental cup

I think it's supposed to be a world wide champions league tourney type deal but there's only 4 teams in it.

Return to Toronto Raptors