ImageImageImageImageImage

Don't be surprised if Kawhi Leonard warms to Toronto (Featuring Norm Powells mom)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Re: Don't be surprised if Kawhi Leonard warms to Toronto (Featuring Norm Powells mom) 

Post#41 » by Kevin Willis » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:21 pm

Wait Norm is Jamaican?

I advise Leonard takes his family to Caribana.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,418

Re: Don't be surprised if Kawhi Leonard warms to Toronto (Featuring Norm Powells mom) 

Post#42 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Masai paid Norm knowing his mom is besties with KL's mom.

Genius
Alpha Mentality
Assistant Coach
And1: 14,102

Post#43 » by Alpha Mentality » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Assuming we stay mostly healthy I don't really see a role for Powell in the current rotation.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#44 » by Son Goku 25 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Inb4 we find out Ibaka is good friends with uncle Dennis or kahwi's grandpa
Read
nitrous
General Manager
And1: 11,470

Post#45 » by nitrous » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:28 pm

So you are saying we can't trade Powell or else we risk losing Kawhi....
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,418

Post#46 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:29 pm

EH15 wrote:Don't understand why people are so eager to dump Powell. People act like he's some been underperforming for years under a monster contract. His new contract kicks in this year. He's been playing like a scrub on a 2nd round rookie scale contract. It's all house money. He was rewarded the extension because of the potential Masai and most of us saw in him before last season. Let's see if he plays up to it now. He'll have the opportunity, as consistent as it will ever be in his career. Crucify him afterwards if he underperforms. There is zero need to dump him unless it's a clear upgrade to our bigs rotation.

Overall, he's been pretty good for us. I agree with your statement.

His downfall last year was a combination of OG (some would say Norm got the shaft since not getting his SL spot back after injury) + the emergence of the bench mob. It was unlucky and bad timing for him.

Then when he tried to get back in there, Casey had already established his rotation and was comfortable with it. Norm's minutes the rest of the season were filled with uncomfortability (knowing that if he messed up, he would get a quick hook) With that, his confidence also took a hit. This is all understandable.

If Norm had that freedom, he would be a different player.

I hope he has a good season for us but its gonnab e hard for him to crack that top 10
nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,778

Post#47 » by nestea » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:30 pm

You can bet M.U. told K.L. he was in Africa w Obama.
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,852

Post#48 » by VancouverRaps » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Son Goku 25 wrote:Inb4 we find out Ibaka is good friends with uncle Dennis or kahwi's grandpa

lmao
We the Champs
PHANTOMPHOENIX
Head Coach
And1: 1,074

Re: RE: Re: Don't be surprised if Kawhi Leonard warms to Toronto (Featuring Norm Powells mom) 

Post#49 » by PHANTOMPHOENIX » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:33 pm

nestea wrote:You can bet M.U. told K.L. he was in Africa w Obama.
Obama and Norm's mom will be sitting courtside. Who needs Drake
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#50 » by Scott Hall » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:36 pm

AbC?
Head Coach
And1: 9,598

Post#51 » by AbC? » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:37 pm

Was just thinking of Norman's connection with Kawhi. Both from San Diego, both quiet hardworking guys, both lost loved ones (Kawhi's father, Norman's uncle). Not surprised their mothers know each other. I think he'll be huge in selling the city to Kawhi.

On the court I think Norman can bounce back. He had the most trouble adapting to the new offensive style we implemented, dropped out of the rotation and then started pressing every time he got minutes. Lost confidence in his jumper too. But before last year I think he showed he can play in our new offense, he showed glimpses of a decent passing/cutting game. I don't think he is one of those guys who's going to get lazy because of his contract, if he continues to struggle it won't be for a lack of effort.

Fully healthy and a full training camp will help Norman IMO.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#52 » by StopitLeo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:39 pm

1989 wrote:Assuming we stay mostly healthy I don't really see a role for Powell in the current rotation.

Agreed. If he doesn't get traded then one or a combination of Serge, CJ, and Wright get moved I think. Why did we sign Brown if not to allow us to move Delon? I know our PGs are fluid between the 1-2 but four of them?
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#53 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:40 pm

1989 wrote:The worst part about this article is that we have to keep Norman Powell...

No moving him anyway. But if he ends up learning from Kawhi along with OG then his contract becomes decent and he could take the starting SG job. Norman should be stalking him.
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#54 » by MikeM » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Powell's fit on the team was weird with Derozan. It's a way better fit with Kawhi. He doesn't have to fake it at SF or guard the other team's best guy. He might even get to guard the other team's 3rd best guy now.

And Kawhi keeps the floor spaced, which Derozan never did.

So now Norm is guarding 3rd best guy, spot up and attack close outs with more space. More options in transition because Kawhi can actually run out. Most likely Nurse will play OG/Pascal at the 4, even quicker pace in transition. Norm's bread and butter is transition. He can't play Demar's walk it up style. It was never a good fit, ever.

Run and gun, force turnovers on their weaker offensive players, that's Norm's game. Spot up in half court.
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#55 » by alienchild » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:43 pm

everdiso wrote:the problem always is getting them here. when they're here, they always love it.

and it helps in this case that being black in Toronto is nothing like being black in America.

and if they're legit title contenders this year, he'll have a hard time leaving.

and weed is legal.

FTFY
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#56 » by ratul » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Don't forget Norm was the key to us winning the Milwaukee series last year. He can be a beast - we'll have to see the rotation develop under Nurse. I feel like there will be some playing time at the two behind Danny Green.
dgr81
General Manager
And1: 10,889

Post#57 » by dgr81 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:49 pm

guess it's miles or delon who get traded for a big
Concernedcad
Starter
And1: 5,894

Post#58 » by Concernedcad » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:50 pm

1989 wrote:Assuming we stay mostly healthy I don't really see a role for Powell in the current rotation.

Depends on what Masai does. If all it takes is JV and Wright for Love you do that trade. Norm takes Wrights spot.
nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,778

Post#59 » by nestea » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:50 pm

Move Miles
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#60 » by hankscorpioLA » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:54 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:I've spent a lot of time in LA. I think it's a sh*thole.

I guess I skew towards the NY end of the spectrum, love that city.

Whoah whoah whoah...LA is not a sh*thole. I have lived here for over ten years and it took me a while before I really got the hang of it, but once I did, I understood the appeal.

The first thing is that there is no other place like Los Angeles.

The second thing is that Los Angeles is not a place. It is an amalgamation of places, many of which have nothing to do with one another.

There are massive swaths of LA that I have never been to. And I am guessing massive swaths you have never been to. If I knew why you were in LA, I could probably map out most of the places you had been, and it would probably add up to 10% of what is here. And that is part of what I love about LA. No matter how long you are here, you will never see all of it.

I will add that it helps that I work in Downtown LA, which is going through a massive revitalization and has become a really cool and eclectic area.
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.

Return to Toronto Raptors