ImageImageImageImageImage

2018-19 Season - Trades & FA Ideas Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

vdhawan17
Pro Prospect
And1: 601

Re: 2018-19 Season - Trades & FA Ideas Thread 

Post#821 » by vdhawan17 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 10:42 pm

I wonder if you could steal Bogdan Bogdanovic from Sacremento, with the emergence of Buddy Hield. It would be expensive but he could be very useful. Maybe its just a pipe dream on my part.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#822 » by navyblue » Thu Dec 6, 2018 10:44 pm

TheAlchemist wrote:I just was looking at the trade checker and playing around with contracts...

Norm Powell and CJ Miles for John Wall checks out.

Washington would pretty much get Norm Powell out of the deal while shedding salary.

I actually would do it. Hands down. But wonder if Washington would? Maybe they'd ask for FVV and Powell instead.

Imagine a lineup of;

Lowry / John Wall
Green / FVV
Kawhi / Delon
Siakim / OG
Ibaka / Jonas

With Kyle sliding over at the two spot?

That's a great, great deal for us in my opinion.

I'd even go trade FVV with CJ instead.

This way we re-sign Kawhi, have John Wall and Kawhi going forward, and Pascal/OG still in the fold. It's such a Masai move, I love it.

Eww wall 4 yr 169 million extension hasn't even kicked I yet, even if you account for the 30 million dead salry of norm, wall isn't worth 4 yr 140$

Plus there is the matter of walls 15% trade kicker, his contract is so bad the NBA and nbapa don't even know how to apply the 15% trade kicker as it would take it over the max salary possible.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#823 » by Asif16 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:08 pm

Not gonna lie, I think the Raptors definitely do lack a 2nd go-to scorer. Lowry is nice, but I think its tough to rely on him for secondary scoring, especially in the playoffs.

I necessarily don't think that 2nd scorer HAS to be an All-Star or a star. I think there are players out there that can be our 2nd leading scorer with Lowry still being the 2nd best player on the team.

For example, Tim Hardaway Jr?
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,255

Post#824 » by SurgeIblocka » Fri Dec 7, 2018 12:40 pm

Lou will would have been the answer in the offseason now clips wont trade him hes too important to them. What about Eric Gordon from Houston they need some solid bench role players. Maybe something could be worked out, i think Gordon would bolster our bench, if Beal is coming too expensive. Aroza may be another option but he has regressed alot. What do phoenix have that could have been traded for FVV. Should have traded fvv for Tyson Chandler before he got bought out
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#825 » by StopitLeo » Fri Dec 7, 2018 2:37 pm

Raptors_128 wrote:That's the thing, if they wait until the summer then they would get better offers because the Celtics would be one of the suitors. The Celtics would definitely drive up the price and as the Pelicans you want as much trade interest as possible.

IMO the Lakers would definitely pursue a trade for AD as LeBron is 34 and they'll still have cap space to get a near max FA this summer (Tobias?). They won't be able to sign AD in FA in 2020. There's not enough cap space since Ingram would need a new contract and he has a ~$22 mill cap hold. It doesn't make sense for the Lakers to wait. The only way I see the Lakers passing up the chance to trade for AD this season is because they want to sign an actual max FA with their cap space and then make a trade for AD. However, this just means they would have to compete with the Celtics which they don't want to do.

A lot of things had to go our way for us to get Kawhi and even then Masai still took a risk that most teams didn't want to make. He was the only one willing to give up an all-star for Kawhi coming off an injury. I'm not trying to shoot down your opinions or ideas, I just like talking basketball trades/contracts and debating it with someone else is dope.

I usually play around with this if you haven't already seen it, it's pretty fun: http://www.shamsports.com/capulator

I can see how waiting until the off-season makes sense in terms of maximizing your return but I think there is a lot of risk taking that approach. A lot can change between now and then and perhaps the Celtics aren't viable trade partners at that point, even if the goal was to just use them as leverage. It's also possible AD gets hurt in which case you are in a bad position. Too many unknowns for me personally but I can see the risk/benefit analysis leaning the other way as well.

You have convinced me about the Lakers. I think they move Ingram though, in which case his cap hold won't be a barrier to signing a max guy.

Oh yeah, the Kawhi trade was the stars aligning on so many factors. It really is incredible that we acquired him and fortunately he is playing great.

I don't feel like you're shooting down my opinions or ideas (and hopefully you aren't getting that from me). I appreciate the discussion especially when the other person puts effort into the argument and not just saying "no way AD gets traded". This is all hypotheticals so shutting down discussion is no fun at all. I mean, just look at how you convinced me about the Lakers.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,429

Post#826 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:05 pm

navyblue wrote:
TheAlchemist wrote:I just was looking at the trade checker and playing around with contracts...

Norm Powell and CJ Miles for John Wall checks out.

Washington would pretty much get Norm Powell out of the deal while shedding salary.

I actually would do it. Hands down. But wonder if Washington would? Maybe they'd ask for FVV and Powell instead.

Imagine a lineup of;

Lowry / John Wall
Green / FVV
Kawhi / Delon
Siakim / OG
Ibaka / Jonas

With Kyle sliding over at the two spot?

That's a great, great deal for us in my opinion.

I'd even go trade FVV with CJ instead.

This way we re-sign Kawhi, have John Wall and Kawhi going forward, and Pascal/OG still in the fold. It's such a Masai move, I love it.

Eww wall 4 yr 169 million extension hasn't even kicked I yet, even if you account for the 30 million dead salry of norm, wall isn't worth 4 yr 140$

Plus there is the matter of walls 15% trade kicker, his contract is so bad the NBA and nbapa don't even know how to apply the 15% trade kicker as it would take it over the max salary possible.

yep no thank you. you simply can't build a winning team around a contact of that size
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,739

Post#827 » by VanWest82 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:14 pm

What about JV + DW for Ed Davis + Faried? We're paying Brooklyn (via Wright) to salary dump JV's 17M option next year but now we're in a much better position this year to match up with the Bucks and Celtics in the playoffs.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#828 » by navyblue » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:24 pm

VanWest82 wrote:What about JV + DW for Ed Davis + Faried? We're paying Brooklyn (via Wright) to salary dump JV's 17M option next year but now we're in a much better position this year to match up with the Bucks and Celtics in the playoffs.

ed davis and faried do nothing to improve us vs the bucks or celtics, getting rid of delon makes us worse against them and getting rid of JV makes us worse against the 76ers, pistons magic ,teams who still use a classical big man.
bootsythornton
Sixth Man
And1: 1,727

Post#829 » by bootsythornton » Fri Dec 7, 2018 6:56 pm

The move has always been Marc Gasol... he expires the same time as Ibaka and Lowry... You move JV + OG and pick and pitch Kawhi on a 1 and 1. Afterwards you let the others expire and try and get Kawhi to recruit Giannis with Siakam as a 3rd star.
Uncle Dennis
General Manager
And1: 12,096

Post#830 » by Uncle Dennis » Fri Dec 7, 2018 6:59 pm

sportsyard wrote:The move has always been Marc Gasol... he expires the same time as Ibaka and Lowry... You move JV + OG and pick and pitch Kawhi on a 1 and 1. Afterwards you let the others expire and try and get Kawhi to recruit Giannis with Siakam as a 3rd star.

I've always wanted Beal, but any sort of 3rd star that can score and rebound is always a plus. K Love as well. Marc would be ideal as a C though, would solve defensive rebounding issues, can shoot the 3, we'd be a nightmare.
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,489

Post#831 » by YelloC » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:03 pm

If the Raptors have interest in Ariza, I would like to see them try to get Richaun Holmes added to the deal. He seems like a fairly versatile 4/5 that can block some shots and spread the floor a little. Also he may have some untapped potential and is still young.
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#832 » by CoachJReturns » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:11 pm

SurgeIblocka wrote:Lou will would have been the answer in the offseason now clips wont trade him hes too important to them. What about Eric Gordon from Houston they need some solid bench role players. Maybe something could be worked out, i think Gordon would bolster our bench, if Beal is coming too expensive. Aroza may be another option but he has regressed alot. What do phoenix have that could have been traded for FVV. Should have traded fvv for Tyson Chandler before he got bought out

Gordon might be a good option for a 6th man. He's off to a really bad start 1/4 of the way through the season. Might just need a change of scenery/situation/role. His contract is for this year and the next at 13 million this year and 14 next year. I wouldn't give up a ton for him, but Fred and Norm, or Fred, Norm and some small sweetener could work.
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#833 » by CoachJReturns » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:17 pm

YelloC wrote:If the Raptors have interest in Ariza, I would like to see them try to get Richaun Holmes added to the deal. He seems like a fairly versatile 4/5 that can block some shots and spread the floor a little. Also he may have some untapped potential and is still young.

I'm also among the handful who have always thought Holmes was an interesting young player. Good athlete and was known for having a defense first mentality when drafted. Joining a team that's playing such great team ball might help his development.
Though I also think we might want to give Boucher a shot. The problem is finding games where the Raps have a big enough lead to let him play through a mistake as an inexperienced player will surely make some.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,200

Post#834 » by Mark_83 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:22 pm

sportsyard wrote:The move has always been Marc Gasol... he expires the same time as Ibaka and Lowry... You move JV + OG and pick and pitch Kawhi on a 1 and 1. Afterwards you let the others expire and try and get Kawhi to recruit Giannis with Siakam as a 3rd star.

We need a bit more coming back or this wouldn't really move the needle. Add CJ from our side and either Green or Temple from theirs.
YelloC
Assistant Coach

Post#835 » by YelloC » Fri Dec 7, 2018 11:31 pm

CoachJReturns wrote:
YelloC wrote:If the Raptors have interest in Ariza, I would like to see them try to get Richaun Holmes added to the deal. He seems like a fairly versatile 4/5 that can block some shots and spread the floor a little. Also he may have some untapped potential and is still young.

I'm also among the handful who have always thought Holmes was an interesting young player. Good athlete and was known for having a defense first mentality when drafted. Joining a team that's playing such great team ball might help his development.
Though I also think we might want to give Boucher a shot. The problem is finding games where the Raps have a big enough lead to let him play through a mistake as an inexperienced player will surely make some.

Good point about Boucher. Holmes and Boucher bring a lot of the same things with CB having more range and Holmes having more experience. One thing about Holmes is he is basically a prototypical PF which is an area of weakness.
I don’t really see Masai making a huge move with how well we’ve gelled, so any moves we make will probably be minor.
alienswon
Rookie
And1: 2,174

Post#836 » by alienswon » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:27 am

CJ for Terrence Ross.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#837 » by Rapsfan07 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 3:18 am

xavis wrote:

I've always wanted Beal, but any sort of 3rd star that can score and rebound is always a plus. K Love as well. Marc would be ideal as a C though, would solve defensive rebounding issues, can shoot the 3, we'd be a nightmare.

Yep. Been saying this for quite some time now.

Been watching Holmes since last year and was completely dumbfounded that we didn't scoop him up when the Sixers gave him away for free.

Due to Phoenix shallowness in the frontcourt, I can't see them moving him. I expect him to explode into a serviceable starter on that squad.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#838 » by Rapsfan07 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 3:19 am

YelloC wrote:
CoachJReturns wrote:

Good point about Boucher. Holmes and Boucher bring a lot of the same things with CB having more range and Holmes having more experience. One thing about Holmes is he is basically a prototypical PF which is an area of weakness.
I don’t really see Masai making a huge move with how well we’ve gelled, so any moves we make will probably be minor.

While I don't disagree with you, we're more than one minor move away from competing with the Warriors.
YelloC
Assistant Coach

Post#839 » by YelloC » Sat Dec 8, 2018 3:27 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
YelloC wrote:
CoachJReturns wrote:I'm also among the handful who have always thought Holmes was an interesting young player. Good athlete and was known for having a defense first mentality when drafted. Joining a team that's playing such great team ball might help his development.

While I don't disagree with you, we're more than one minor move away from competing with the Warriors.

Hopefully we can get the bench to the point that they’re only playing awful as opposed to god awful. :pray: :pray:
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,729

Post#840 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:24 am

If you look at our roster the needs are clear:

Set at PG with Lowry/VanVleet/Wright

SG needs improvement with Danny Green as the only solid option

SF looks set with Leonard, and likely no we're bringing in will back-up Kawhi over OG. Then you have NormGod's inevitable return which helps both SF and SG, although he can't be trusted just yet.

PF needs improvement with Pascal as the only option here, and I'm not sure Boucher is the answer as tearing up the G-League does not always equal NBA success. If Rawle Alkins didn't pick Chicago he would've been the obvious choice over Boucher.

C is set with the two-headed monster of JV/Ibaka. Even if Ibaka reverts to his old(aged)-self JV is still a low volume, high efficiency offensive threat.

With that said, here are my solutions for the second half...

1) Go get a combination of Faried + Dudley or Harris from Brooklyn

Personally, I prefer Dudley to Harris as Dudley is a veteran who will not fear moments deep in the playoffs. Both of these guys fill huge gaps in our roster and both are in contract seasons. Without a doubt, both are shells of their former selves in Brooklyn, however as we've seen countless times when pro athletes are playing for something they play differently.

For his career Jared Dudley is a 39% three point shooter. Aside from this year and his rookie year, he hasn't shot less than 36% from 3 for a season.

Faried is what he is, a high energy big. He plays one way. One of our main issues is not securing rebounds when we have a great defensive possession.

2) Go to Phoenix and get Jamal Crawford

They might bite on Malachi + 2nd rounder. They don't really need Jamal Crawford as bad as they are. And last season our bench was a strength, but this season is underwhelming. One thing Jamal Crawford does is strengthen benches, and again is a veteran who won't fear the moment.

Other options include Vince Carter, Wayne Ellington and Marco Belinelli all of whom would have similar reasoning to Jamal Crawford.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.

Return to Toronto Raptors