everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Re: Marcus Morris takes shot at Raptors 

Post#101 » by everdiso » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:39 pm

Concerned_Fan wrote:
everdiso wrote:
Concerned_Fan wrote:
Great post. I lol’d at his comment about Jaylen, clearly he didn’t know who Jaylen Brown was.

Pointless to have an actual real conversation with 50% of this board. That’s why teams with fanbases that get basketball think Raptors fans are a joke.

They make the 10% if non-casual basketball fans in Canada look so bad.

I can’t tell who doesn’t get the sport more. Phoenix hockey fans or Toronto basketball fans.

yeah toronto fans are looking real bad right about now compared to the conventional offseason wisdom.

good call.

3 games in. Calm down. Raptors blog boys do this every season only to be embarassed in the playoffs.

Raptors beat the Celics in the regular season last year too. Don’t embarrass the fan base.

you're right, they did beat the celtics last year, because they were better than the celtics last year.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,378

Post#102 » by visionquest » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:41 pm

The numbers dont bear out his assertion. No surprise, MM doesnt appear to be a numbers guy.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#103 » by Whole Truth » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:48 pm

Boston is very good defensively but they've lacked that offensive punch. Cavs offensively was the only team in the East that could exploit the Raptors holes defensively last year.

Stevens had to run Tatum with the bench to give it an offensive punch, didn't hurt the first 3 plays were consecutive & 1's.
peralta
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#104 » by peralta » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:05 pm

I'd take a team who plays together...plays hard...and know their roles...than a bunch of talented players with big egos. hard work beats talent
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,740

Post#105 » by VanWest82 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:10 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Baynes was 2-8 with 6 boards, one of which he was allowed to climb Jonas back.

Jonas was 1-3 while the bench players called their # & bricked shot after shot. Baynes did not take Jonas out the game. It was shot selection.

Boston's bench was 7-28 without Tatum on it.

I agree Freddy came down with a case of ball hoggery but in the game I watched Baynes matched JV's strength, helped force two turnovers, both his misses, and had him scrambling on several occasions when JV repeatedly lost him in the corner defensively.

Also, was it shot selection last year too? In four games vs. Boston JV shot the following vs. Baynes: 2-3 for 4pts, 1-6 for 2pts, 3-8 for 7 pts, and 2-7 for 4pts. Sure seems like he's making an impact.

Edit: also worth pointing out that even though Freddy looked off the big fella on Friday, JV had a DET factor of 124 last year while Baynes was guarding him (100 being the offensive player's average), so if anything we were featuring JV more than average in that match up. Again, it's not about shot selection.
Concerned_Fan
Junior
And1: 242

Post#106 » by Concerned_Fan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:13 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Concerned_Fan wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
You think Danny Green is better than Jaylen Brown?? Umm, No. Also, it's worth pointing out that Baynes has won that match up with JV over multiple games now. Perhaps JV is the better player overall, just not in that match up.

Great post. I lol’d at his comment about Jaylen, clearly he didn’t know who Jaylen Brown was.

Pointless to have an actual real conversation with 50% of this board. That’s why teams with fanbases that get basketball think Raptors fans are a joke.

They make the 10% if non-casual basketball fans in Canada look so bad.

I can’t tell who doesn’t get the sport more. Phoenix hockey fans or Toronto basketball fans.

I find it funny that you're still so butthurt about Derozan being traded. As a self-described "non-casual fan", you're awfully obsessed with an inefficient volume scorer who doesn't play defence. You're so delusional you spend all your energy forcing some obviously non-statistical false narrative that Kawhi isn't a good player, thereby making it seem (to yourself) like we lost the trade. It's really embarrassing.

I think Derozan was awful, I find Lowry to be a horrific playoff performer as well. I'm not so sure why you love Derozan or have such an obsession that you bring him up in every one of your replies to me. It's a little creepy, frankly.
ThatClockWork
Veteran
And1: 1,856

Post#107 » by ThatClockWork » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:20 pm

He is not entirely wrong you know. But execution is the only thing that matters. By that standard, we got the better of them in the first matchup. When Boston figures out how to balance things with all of their scorers and talent, they are going to be really damn hard to beat.
Barack Obama wrote:You can’t lose heart, or grow cynical if there are twists and turns on your journey. The cynics may be the loudest voices — but I promise you, they will accomplish the least.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#108 » by djsunyc » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:22 pm

what's funny is that once hayward is back to 100%, morris may be lucky to get 10 mins.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,740

Post#109 » by VanWest82 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:31 pm

djsunyc wrote:what's funny is that once hayward is back to 100%, morris may be lucky to get 10 mins.

Bet he still gets mins even when (if?) Hayward returns to full health because they really don't have anyone else (besides maybe Semi) who has the strength to defend tough forwards. Things are a little different in the East with Lebron gone, but you still have to worry about Kawhi, Giannis, Griffin, Simmons, Gordon (don't laugh), etc.
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Post#110 » by raptor jesus » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:32 pm

visionquest wrote:The numbers dont bear out his assertion. No surprise, MM doesnt appear to be a numbers guy.

Well, he and his brother - along w/ three other men - allegedly assaulted a lone man. So he knows that five is greater than one.
JordanBPeterson
Junior
And1: 585

Post#111 » by JordanBPeterson » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:56 pm

Call me crazy but the only player I'd want from Boston is Tatum - the rest are good but I wouldn't take them over what we have.

Sent from my LG-H831 using RealGM mobile app
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#112 » by Danny1616 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:58 pm

Is this the same Morris brother who complained about Mirotic making the top 100 list.

He doesn't seem to evaluate talent very well.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#113 » by will » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:01 pm

Ain't nobody comin' to see you Marcus!
Double Bubble
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#114 » by Double Bubble » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:02 pm

Why give this bum the attention he's craving? Funny these nobody clowns talk more trash than elite players in the league.

Why? Because of threads like this. Who gives a damn
Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Post#115 » by Lukeem » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:02 pm

JordanBPeterson wrote:Call me crazy but the only player I'd want from Boston is Tatum - the rest are good but I wouldn't take them over what we have.

You are crazy - horford is great and fits any team
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,445

Post#116 » by mtcan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:12 pm

The Morris twins are a classic example of why we shouldn't raise our kids to think they are special snowflakes and that everyone is a winner because clearly they always gotten medals for participation in their lives and they couldn't possibly be worse than anyone else because they have always been told that they are great and special in their own ways.
JordanBPeterson
Junior
And1: 585

Post#117 » by JordanBPeterson » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:48 pm

Lukeem wrote:
JordanBPeterson wrote:Call me crazy but the only player I'd want from Boston is Tatum - the rest are good but I wouldn't take them over what we have.

He's 32 years of age though.

Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#118 » by Rapsalot » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:28 pm

everdiso wrote:
Rapsalot wrote:They have the better starting 5 .

they really don't.

If both 100% healthy

KI and KLow about a wash because of KLow Def.
J Brown slightly over Danny G and he is swinging up on his career where Danny Flat at best. Jaylen can do more things.
Klaw way better than Gordon H but it will be closer when he is back healthy. KL is far ahead of him on Rehab.
J Tatum way better than Pascal. Jayson is looking to average 20/10 this year and had a better playoff run then any and all raptors last year except KLow. Even if you put OG there ( and I think both the raps are good to very good, Jayson is a star headed to all star this year over both our guys)
Al Horford better than either of JV or SI for consistently and both sides of ball.

Raps 9+6+10+7+7= 39 Bos 9+7+8+9+8 = 41 It is close. One note most basketball heads would say KI better than KLow but, we know they both provide about the same value if healthy.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,410

Post#119 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:28 pm

JordanBPeterson wrote:
Lukeem wrote:

He's 32 years of age though.

He's still a pretty big upgrade over both Ibaka and JV though.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#120 » by Whole Truth » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:34 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Baynes was 2-8 with 6 boards, one of which he was allowed to climb Jonas back.

Jonas was 1-3 while the bench players called their # & bricked shot after shot. Baynes did not take Jonas out the game. It was shot selection.

Boston's bench was 7-28 without Tatum on it.

I agree Freddy came down with a case of ball hoggery but in the game I watched Baynes matched JV's strength, helped force two turnovers, both his misses, and had him scrambling on several occasions when JV repeatedly lost him in the corner defensively.

Also, was it shot selection last year too? In four games vs. Boston JV shot the following vs. Baynes: 2-3 for 4pts, 1-6 for 2pts, 3-8 for 7 pts, and 2-7 for 4pts. Sure seems like he's making an impact.

Edit: also worth pointing out that even though Freddy looked off the big fella on Friday, JV had a DET factor of 124 last year while Baynes was guarding him (100 being the offensive player's average), so if anything we were featuring JV more than average in that match up. Again, it's not about shot selection.

Baynes did look a bit like Adams in that last match & like Adams he got away with alot of contact, one of his rebounds he climbed Jonas back with no call, he also got away with moving screens, while Jonas was called for 2.

Stevens takes away the paint when Jonas is in the 3's taken & missed were mostly open, he also gang rebounds, none of the bench made them pay.

I don't think where Boston is concerned Baynes is solely responsible for taking away the paint from Jonas.. If he can go off on Gobert, he can go off on Baynes. He's not why Jonas is averaging less than 6 attempts.

Raptors bench 3-15 from 3, mostly open. Accounting for half their shots taken. I don't know how to check but I'm sure most were open attempts.

Return to Toronto Raptors