ImageImageImageImageImage

Marcus Morris takes shot at Raptors

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Re: Marcus Morris takes shot at Raptors 

Post#61 » by everdiso » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Concerned_Fan wrote:
sbsat wrote:
The Celtics still have what a conventional contender looks like:
1. 3 All-stars, possibly 4.
2. Reliable role players unintimidated by big playoff moments
3. A great coach

no team has ever won a championship without an MVP calibre player, which the celtics most certainly do not have. which means they are missing the single biggest part of what a "conventional contender" needs.

the term "all-stars" is also a very nebulous one - the celts have a number of fringe all-stars, guys in the 20-30 range in the league, not guys who deserve 1st or 2nd or 3rd team all-nba status.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#62 » by MikeM » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Morris is talented because he can take 10 dribbles and take a bad mid-range shot that goes in 20% of the time.

Siakam is untalented because all he does is grab the ball off the rim, run down the court and dunk. He ain't got no skill man.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#63 » by Whole Truth » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:26 pm

Raptors replaced their goto player with a player working his way back from injury & played a bench that has never played together before where Boston had 3 straight & 1's to go on their run.

& his excuse is, they played more together.

While people are right that's a talent in itself, Raptors are the team that isn't in stride yet while Boston was playing Tatum with their bench unit.
Concerned_Fan
Junior
And1: 242

Post#64 » by Concerned_Fan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:33 pm

everdiso wrote:
Concerned_Fan wrote:

no team has ever won a championship without an MVP calibre player, which the celtics most certainly do not have.

I never said the Celtics were going to win the Championship. The Warriors are going to win the Championship, because they check all those boxes and more (they actually have the best 2 players, possibly 3 in any series).

Also, there have been teams that won a Championship without an MVP calibre player - the Pistons did it once, almost twice. Although I personally believe that Rasheed Wallace is an MVP calibre player and was one of the most talented players in the NBA (on the level of Duncan/KG/Dirk/C-Webb), though casual fans would disagree.

which means they are missing the single biggest part of what a "conventional contender" needs.

As I said, Kyrie is trying to fill that role but hasn't shown he can yet in his career (he has an extremely high ceiling as he's shown against GSW but also a low floor as he's shown pre-LeBron). Kawhi also hasn't shown he can carry a team to the Finals without the support of Hall of Famer teammates and coach yet either, so he faces similar questions, though he's not as big of a question mark as Kyrie (Raptors fanboys overrated Kawhi in similar ways Celtics fanboys overate Kyrie without looking at the high quality of their teammates during their playoff runs. Neither have shown they can carry a contender through an entire regular and into the finals like a Duncan, Dirk, Kobe, LeBron, or Steph).

the term "all-stars" is also a very nebulous one - the celts have a number of fringe all-stars, guys in the 20-30 range in the league, not guys who deserve 1st or 2nd or 3rd team all-nba status.

I think that's fair, which is why I think Ainge needs to make a move these next 2 seasons before he misses his window. They also lack a transcendent, proven player (the Duncan, Dirk, Kobe, LeBron, Steph presence). I think Tatum will break out into that calibre of a player in the next 2-3 years, but won't be able to fit that role now, though you can tell through the first couple of games that he already wants to be "the guy" which must be weird for Kyrie who left Cleveland to be "the guy."

But that's really why I don't think the Celtics will take more than 1 game in the Finals, and if they do it'll be because of Stevens' coaching. Warriors might have the Top 3 players in that series. Durant and Steph are better than anyone on the Celtics. I'm a big Klay Thompson fan, he's one of the most underrated NBA players, and I legitimately believe he's also better than anyone on the Celtics. I think the whole "Warriors vs Celtics" final is a big set up for disappointment. I expect the GSW to win their games by at least a 10 point margin. I love Kyrie's game, but he was in the perfect role next to LeBron and it made him overrated. You could have replaced him with another clutch scoring guard like Klay or Lillard and Cavs would have won. Kyrie's not going to look near as unstoppable in the finals with his added responsibilities.

Whole Truth wrote:Raptors replaced their goto player with a player working his way back from injury & played a bench that has never played together before where Boston had 3 straight & 1's to go on their run.

Naw, Boston obviously has chemistry issues right now. Kawhi played more games last year than Hayward did, so Boston's dealing with a player coming back from injury too. So their starting backcourt is only 3 games in.

Kyrie's coming back from a knee injury and missed a handful of games and the entire playoffs. The team ran just as well with Rozier, who will get plenty of playing time and seems to play better with Tatum. Tatum's rise during the playoffs has also caused chemistry issues, he's clearly ready to be "the guy." But Kyrie came to this team to be "the guy."

They've got a couple of issues. Kyrie's not both an elite scorer and an elite playmaker like Steph. He's going to have issues meshing with both Hayward while Hayward comes back from injury and Tatum, it's going to take awhile.

The Raptors have beaten The Celtics before anyways. So I'm not sure why everyone is reacting like the Raptors just beat the Celtics in the playoffs for the right to be swept by GSW.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#65 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:42 pm

They’re supposed to be more talented and we’re supposed to be the 3&D squad but I didn’t see that the other night. The result doesn’t matter, it was one hot minute. Kyrie and Tatum can get shots up but nobody else can out-talent our D, and on the other end they can’t stop Kawhi and the holes in their D, or O if Smart is in there, can make our guys look like stars. They’ve got 1-way players they need to play and we don’t. I’m not worried about those guys in a series, they’d need to get ridiculously hot.
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,766

Post#66 » by TrustFundBaby » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:52 pm

Concerned_Fan wrote:
everdiso wrote:
Concerned_Fan wrote:

no team has ever won a championship without an MVP calibre player, which the celtics most certainly do not have.

I never said the Celtics were going to win the Championship. The Warriors are going to win the Championship, because they check all those boxes and more (they actually have the best 2 players, possibly 3 in any series).

Also, there have been teams that won a Championship without an MVP calibre player - the Pistons did it once, almost twice. Although I personally believe that Rasheed Wallace is an MVP calibre player and was one of the most talented players in the NBA (on the level of Duncan/KG/Dirk/C-Webb), though casual fans would disagree.

which means they are missing the single biggest part of what a "conventional contender" needs.

As I said, Kyrie is trying to fill that role but hasn't shown he can yet in his career (he has an extremely high ceiling as he's shown against GSW but also a low floor as he's shown pre-LeBron). Kawhi also hasn't shown he can carry a team to the Finals without the support of Hall of Famer teammates and coach yet either, so he faces similar questions, though he's not as big of a question mark as Kyrie (Raptors fanboys overrated Kawhi in similar ways Celtics fanboys overate Kyrie without looking at the high quality of their teammates during their playoff runs. Neither have shown they can carry a contender through an entire regular and into the finals like a Duncan, Dirk, Kobe, LeBron, or Steph).

I think that's fair, which is why I think Ainge needs to make a move these next 2 seasons before he misses his window. They also lack a transcendent, proven player (the Duncan, Dirk, Kobe, LeBron, Steph presence). I think Tatum will break out into that calibre of a player in the next 2-3 years, but won't be able to fit that role now, though you can tell through the first couple of games that he already wants to be "the guy" which must be weird for Kyrie who left Cleveland to be "the guy."

But that's really why I don't think the Celtics will take more than 1 game in the Finals, and if they do it'll be because of Stevens' coaching. Warriors might have the Top 3 players in that series. Durant and Steph are better than anyone on the Celtics. I'm a big Klay Thompson fan, he's one of the most underrated NBA players, and I legitimately believe he's also better than anyone on the Celtics. I think the whole "Warriors vs Celtics" final is a big set up for disappointment. I expect the GSW to win their games by at least a 10 point margin. I love Kyrie's game, but he was in the perfect role next to LeBron and it made him overrated. You could have replaced him with another clutch scoring guard like Klay or Lillard and Cavs would have won. Kyrie's not going to look near as unstoppable in the finals with his added responsibilities.

Whole Truth wrote:Raptors replaced their goto player with a player working his way back from injury & played a bench that has never played together before where Boston had 3 straight & 1's to go on their run.

Naw, Boston obviously has chemistry issues right now. Kawhi played more games last year than Hayward did, so Boston's dealing with a player coming back from injury too. So their starting backcourt is only 3 games in.

Kyrie's coming back from a knee injury and missed a handful of games and the entire playoffs. The team ran just as well with Rozier, who will get plenty of playing time and seems to play better with Tatum. Tatum's rise during the playoffs has also caused chemistry issues, he's clearly ready to be "the guy." But Kyrie came to this team to be "the guy."

They've got a couple of issues. Kyrie's not both an elite scorer and an elite playmaker like Steph. He's going to have issues meshing with both Hayward while Hayward comes back from injury and Tatum, it's going to take awhile.

The Raptors have beaten The Celtics before anyways. So I'm not sure why everyone is reacting like the Raptors just beat the Celtics in the playoffs for the right to be swept by GSW.

Did you forget Kawhi in 2017? How are we overrating him?

He actually has a track record of carrying his team deep. His 2017 Postseason is among the greatest statistically and the best I ever personally saw.

Kyrie doesn't come close, he hasn't done anything as the guy yet.
Raptors_128
Analyst
And1: 3,275

Post#67 » by Raptors_128 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Lmao no one on that team could hold a candle to Kawhi. You have nice role players, congratulations.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,729

Post#68 » by VanWest82 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:59 pm

ThemCrookedRefs wrote:Horford > Serge
Tatum > Siakam
Hayward < Kawhi
Brown < Green
Kyrie < Kyle

-----------------------------------------------

Baynes < JV
Rozier = FVV
Morris < OG
Smart < Delon
Rest of BOS bench < Rest of TOR bench

We're better, and deeper. It's just a fact.

You think Danny Green is better than Jaylen Brown?? Umm, No. Also, it's worth pointing out that Baynes has won that match up with JV over multiple games now. Perhaps JV is the better player overall, just not in that match up.
Concerned_Fan
Junior

Post#69 » by Concerned_Fan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:00 pm

/
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#70 » by everdiso » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:01 pm

Concerned_Fan wrote:

nah, this is a totally misleading argument which makes Kyrie and Kawhi sound like similar calibre players with similar question marks when they clearly are not.

Kawhi most certainly proved he can carry at to a championship - he was the best player by a longshot on that spurs team.

as for Kyrie, he won a championship beside a guy who put up a .274ws48 and 13.1bpm that playoffs. it didn't matter who was on his team. that is ridiculous.

but bringing up Detroit's championship 15yrs ago is kind of interesting, but what you saw was still just an incredible unlikely run by a team playing well above it's head:

Regular season:

Wallace .160ws48, 5.1bpm
Billups .198ws48, 3.4bpm
Prince .134ws48, 2.1bpm
Hamilton .141ws48, 1.3bpm
Sheed .125ws48, 1.9bpm

Playoffs:

Wallace .186ws48, 6.7bpm
Billups .203ws48, 4.2bpm
Prince .171ws48, 5.2bpm
Hamilton .182ws48, 3.9bpm
Sheed .135ws48, 3.5bpm

if the only comparison for a team is that outlier unlikely playoff run by that Detroit team 15yrs ago playing way above their heads, then likely the team you are describing isn't a realistic contender.

there are many more champs that fit the raptors framework than the celts framework. heck, just look at the warriors' first title.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#71 » by 720 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Morris twins are delusional so I honestly don’t care what they have to say.
jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Post#72 » by jeffya2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:07 pm

When the Morris twins were born
the doctor said, Mama,
I have some good news and some bad news

Unfortunately there is only 1 brain that will have to be shared
Good news is they are Twins not Triplets :nod:
Uncle Dennis
General Manager
And1: 12,096

Post#73 » by Uncle Dennis » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:15 pm

everdiso wrote:
Concerned_Fan wrote:

nah, this is a totally misleading argument which makes Kyrie and Kawhi sound like similar calibre players with similar question marks when they clearly are not.

Kawhi most certainly proved he can carry at to a championship - he was the best player by a longshot on that spurs team.

as for Kyrie, he won a championship beside a guy who put up a .274ws48 and 13.1bpm that playoffs. it didn't matter who was on his team. that is ridiculous.

but bringing up Detroit's championship 15yrs ago is kind of interesting, but what you saw was still just an incredible unlikely run by a team playing well above it's head:

Regular season:

Wallace .160ws48, 5.1bpm
Billups .198ws48, 3.4bpm
Prince .134ws48, 2.1bpm
Sheed .125ws48, 1.9bpm

Playoffs:

Wallace .186ws48, 6.7bpm
Billups .203ws48, 4.2bpm
Prince .171ws48, 5.2bpm
Sheed .135ws48, 3.5bpm

if the only comparison for a team is that outlier unlikely playoff run by that Detroit team 15yrs ago playing way above their heads, then likely the team you are describing isn't a realistic contender.

there are many more champs that fit the raptors framework than the celts framework. heck, just look at the warriors' first title.

Don't bother giving him the stats. He'll just tell you that you don't have NCAA experience and that statistics are wrong. He's a mirrornick clone.
Concerned_Fan
Junior

Post#74 » by Concerned_Fan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:18 pm

everdiso wrote:nah, this is a totally misleading argument which makes Kyrie and Kawhi sound like similar calibre players with similar question marks when they clearly are not.

Okay, so how many Championships have they won without Duncan since Kawhi became "the guy"?

No, because they played GSW the year before without him and the Cavs lost. Kyrie was a major component to that Championship. Could he have been replaced by another guard like Lillard or Thompson or Steph? Sure, probably. But you could say the same thing about Kawhi being replaced by Durant or LeBron. If you switched out Kawhi on the Championship Spurs team with Durant, they'd win the Chip. They'd probably still win if you switched Kawhi then out with Giannis now.

Like I said, Kyrie was in an ideal situation next to LeBron, but he's still an elite scorer. Anyone who denies Kyrie's an elite scorer is just delusional. He put up 58 against Kawhi and the Spurs, he was outright dominate in the 7 game series against the Warriors, and strong the next year in their Finals. That's more than enough proof that he's an elite offensive player.

Why casual Raptors fans feel the need to be delusional about it is really weird to me. And quite frankly, it's embarrassing when they post on the General NBA board or the Celtics board and say stupid **** to fan bases where the average fan knows a lot more about basketball.

They weren't playing over their head, that Pistons team was always a strong playoff team. They were always hovering in the ECF, as a Top 2-3 in the East, casual fans just didn't follow the NBA closely to remember that so they act like they were a 1 season fairy tale. What finally put them over the top was Rasheed and Larry Brown (though Carlise in his own right is becoming a great coach and it's questionable whether they really needed to replace him). But they were always a top team in the East.

Casual fans act like that was a 1 season outlier, when they went to the Finals a year after (lost to the Spurs in 7) and were a contender for half a decade.

The Pistons are a much better comparison than GSW. GSW has Steph, who was a 2x unanimous MVP (he's better than any current Raptor and anyone who doesn't think so is again, embarassing the fan base), Klay and Draymond. They won 73 games together, do you know how crazy dominate they were? I really don't think you do if you're comparing this Raptors team to Steph/Klay's Warriors. I'm not even going to entertain this discussion any further, people were comparing them to the Bulls. If you were to compare this Raptors team to that GSW team on the General Board, you'd get laughed at. :crazy:

The Pistons are a much better comparison, because their most reliable player all those years was a well-rounded PG who didn't became an All-star and find his place in the league until he landed in Detroit. They were always a strong team and got to the ECF.
But they hit a wall, fired their coach (Carlise), then acquired an elite 2-way talent in Rasheed, and that put them over the top (a player not as great as Duncan, Shaq, or Kobe but in a 7 game series could be). They were also really deep. Sounds much like the Raptors situation. But comparing us to Klay/Steph's Warriors? GTFO.

Lowry's got to be our Billups, Nick Nurse our Larry Brown, and Kawhi our Sheed.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#75 » by Volcano » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:21 pm

xavis wrote:
everdiso wrote:
Concerned_Fan wrote:

Regular season:

Wallace .160ws48, 5.1bpm
Billups .198ws48, 3.4bpm
Prince .134ws48, 2.1bpm
Sheed .125ws48, 1.9bpm

Playoffs:

Wallace .186ws48, 6.7bpm
Billups .203ws48, 4.2bpm
Prince .171ws48, 5.2bpm
Sheed .135ws48, 3.5bpm

Don't bother giving him the stats. He'll just tell you that you don't have NCAA experience and that statistics are wrong. He's a mirrornick clone.

I think he was the guy who thought Giannis had more playoff success than Kawhi and KAT was the best player in the league
OvOh
Head Coach
And1: 41,612

Post#76 » by OvOh » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Morris just big mad. Him and his #clown twin always are after a loss.
Image#SpicySZNImage #LarryOBSZN
ThemCrookedRefs
Head Coach
And1: 11,190

Post#77 » by ThemCrookedRefs » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:21 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
Spoiler:
Tatum > Siakam
Hayward < Kawhi
Brown < Green
Kyrie < Kyle

Baynes < JV
Rozier = FVV
Morris < OG
Smart < Delon

You think Danny Green is better than Jaylen Brown?? Umm, No. Also, it's worth pointing out that Baynes has won that match up with JV over multiple games now. Perhaps JV is the better player overall, just not in that match up.

Jaylen Brown's alright, but IMO he's not some future star. He's getting lumped in with Tatum as the next big stars on the Celtics, I just don't see it with him. Tatum's amazing though. Green is a great 3+D player IMO. Today, I'd rather have Green over Brown; he's more experienced,a deadlier shot, and doesn't need the ball in his hands. In a couple years, probably not.

JV is a better player than Baynes. I honestly don't recall how much they've matched up in the previous games, but JV definitely didn't play well the other night.
Concerned_Fan
Junior

Post#78 » by Concerned_Fan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:29 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
Tatum > Siakam
Hayward < Kawhi
Brown < Green
Kyrie < Kyle

Baynes < JV
Rozier = FVV
Morris < OG
Smart < Delon

Great post. I lol’d at his comment about Jaylen, clearly he didn’t know who Jaylen Brown was.

Pointless to have an actual real conversation with 50% of this board. That’s why teams with fanbases that get basketball think Raptors fans are a joke.

They make the 10% if non-casual basketball fans in Canada look so bad.

I can’t tell who doesn’t get the sport more. Phoenix hockey fans or Toronto basketball fans.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#79 » by Psubs » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:30 pm

ThemCrookedRefs wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
Spoiler:
ThemCrookedRef-s wrote:Horford > Serge
Tatum > Siakam
Hayward < Kawhi
Brown < Green
Kyrie < Kyle

Baynes < JV
Rozier = FVV
Morris < OG
Smart < Delon

Jaylen Brown's alright, but IMO he's not some future star. He's getting lumped in with Tatum as the next big stars on the Celtics, I just don't see it with him. Tatum's amazing though. Green is a great 3+D player IMO. Today, I'd rather have Green over Brown; he's more experienced,a deadlier shot, and doesn't need the ball in his hands. In a couple years, probably not.

JV is a better player than Baynes. I honestly don't recall how much they've matched up in the previous games, but JV definitely didn't play well the other night.

Jaylen Brown may be like Jason Richardson. Very atheltic 6'6-6'7 with a decent 3-pt shot. Oddly poor FT shooter and statistically not a good defender.
d00lttle
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,349

Post#80 » by d00lttle » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:30 pm

So he's saying Nurse > Stevens? Way to throw your coach under the bus ;)

Return to Toronto Raptors