ImageImageImageImageImage

Open Court Discusses Kawhi&Nurse

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Open Court Discusses Kawhi&Nurse 

Post#1 » by MavCarter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Damn these dudes really throwing nurse under the bus lmao
#Enjoytheride
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Re: Open Court Discusses Kawhi&Nurse 

Post#2 » by djsunyc » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:46 pm

MavCarter wrote:

Damn these dudes really throwing nurse under the bus lmao

kenny smith is just terrible all around.

grant hill knows what's up.
WeTheNorth123
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,363

Post#3 » by WeTheNorth123 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:46 pm

This is probably how they would describe Brad Stevens going into his first year with the celtics
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#4 » by Danny1616 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:54 pm

Not surprised considering these guys have barely watched our team over the years. All they see is that we fired a coach of a perennial 50 win team and don't even understand why he got fired.

They know nothing about Nurse's resume so how can make they make a proper analysis.

Anyways, doesn't really matter, we just have to prove it on the court. Remember that both Phil Jackson and Pops started as assistants on teams that were already pretty damn good but couldn't make it over the hump (although Pops got even more lucky because Robinson got hurt and drafted Duncan). Jackson inherited Jordan, Pops inherited Duncan/Robinson and Nurse inherits Kawhi.
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#5 » by Inevitable » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Nurse is gunna look like a top 3 coach in the NBA when we get to the finals
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,767

Post#6 » by TrustFundBaby » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Inevitable wrote:Nurse is gunna look like a top 3 coach in the NBA when we get to the finals

Pop Kerr Stevens Spo Nurse Snyder
stanch sabonis
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,610

Post#7 » by stanch sabonis » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:21 pm

Inevitable wrote:Nurse is gunna look like a top 3 coach in the NBA when we get to the finals
he just needs time to build his rep. At this point in time ppl who have no idea who he is will speak on him n say outlandish **** cuz it’s not about their content but their name
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#8 » by Red_Claw » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:31 pm

At around the 8 min mark, Haywood is speaking my mind about players starting or not starting.
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Post#9 » by raptor jesus » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:38 pm

Hopefully I can save people the trouble of watching - it mostly consists of Isiah Thomas rambling for 5 minutes in a roundabout way about Kawhi being a system player, supported by baseless assumptions comparing Nurse to Popovich.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,797

Post#10 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:51 pm

The first seven minutes it seems like these guys have nothing to really talk about. You can be a good leader and coach without being draconian or inflexible.

Red_Claw wrote:At around the 8 min mark, Haywood is speaking my mind about players starting or not starting.

Should just start Siakam and Ibaka all year then I guess.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#11 » by djsunyc » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:The first seven minutes it seems like these guys have nothing to really talk about. You can be a good leader and coach without being draconian or inflexible.

Red_Claw wrote:At around the 8 min mark, Haywood is speaking my mind about players starting or not starting.

league has changed. each playoff series is now all about matchups.
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#12 » by bon » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:56 pm

But Kawhi demanded a trade from San Antonio... so obviously Pop's coaching is pretty irrelevant to him
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,797

Post#13 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:58 pm

djsunyc wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:The first seven minutes it seems like these guys have nothing to really talk about. You can be a good leader and coach without being draconian or inflexible.

Yep. Of course it is. And the series that are the series we have the best chance of losing, are the ones where we should be starting those two or need to start those two to have the best chance. It was sarcasm, but if I had to stick with a lineup...I stick with the one that beats the toughest teams even if it matches up worse against the rest.

We might change at the SG position but that’s not going to be the spot that’s crucial.
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#14 » by Red_Claw » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:05 pm

djsunyc wrote:

Nobody said the league isin't match up driven but players are creatures of habit (See Lowry's pre game invisible handshake with Derozan) and when youre constantly changing their role, they have a hard time adjusting because they aren't comfortable. Fratello said it best when he said it doesn't matter if its a bad matchup, you can sub a guy out early if its not working. It just helps in the preparation of player.

And i don't care if Serge starts, but JV is a top 3 offensive option on the team. He should get half the minutes at center and at least 10 shots. My preference is he starts so he lets ours big guns worry about offence/defence and less on the boards plus, his defensive deficiencies are hidden better when playing with our best defensive players.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,448

Post#15 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:18 pm

I love this mentality that because Nurse is a new coach, he sucks.

Guess what dumbasses, Pop, Jackson, and Riley were all rookie coaches at some point too.
Mr Burns
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,799

Post#16 » by Mr Burns » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:21 pm

Dude are acting like popovic was the one out there locking mans ups and getting buckets.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,741

Post#17 » by VanWest82 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:22 pm

I thought they made a good point, and frankly I don't think anyone knows yet whether Nurse will be the kind of leader that inspires and commands respect. He's clearly very bright, and I think he works hard so our team will be well prepared. Will he have the emotional intelligence and gravitas with the players to help bring the right things out during moments of adversity? We just don't know that stuff yet.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,448

Post#18 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:24 pm

stanch sabonis wrote:
he just needs time to build his rep. At this point in time ppl who have no idea who he is will speak on him n say outlandish **** cuz it’s not about their content but their name

People who actually keep up-to-date on what is going on in the league know that Nurse is a good coach.

Failed executives and guys who haven't played in decades don't. "Expert" analysts very rarely provide useful insights.
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#19 » by JYD » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:25 pm

Grant Hill is usually on point, I always enjoy his takes.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,783
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#20 » by Boogie! » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:32 pm

bon wrote:But Kawhi demanded a trade from San Antonio... so obviously Pop's coaching is pretty irrelevant to him

Yeah it's So odd how they're waxing poetic on how kawhi doesn't get "the good stuff" from pop, yet no one is acknowledging that he demanded a trade from that team and pop could've been a part of the reason he wanted to leave...
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.

Return to Toronto Raptors