ImageImageImageImageImage

JV is unplayable

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Raps2018Champs
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,920

Re: JV is unplayable 

Post#241 » by Raps2018Champs » Thu Dec 6, 2018 6:26 am

Nocturne wrote:I just wish we can find a way to consistently get today's high level of production out of JV. But I think Nurse has got it right that JV is just not great in some matchups while being able to dominate in other match ups. He just doesn't have the versatility on offense or defense (but primarily defense) to be the main guy every game.

Just have him play Embiid every night :lol:
SciencePiggy
Analyst
And1: 1,968

Post#242 » by SciencePiggy » Thu Dec 6, 2018 7:14 am

Random Stat Of The Day (otherwise known as Piggy should go to sleep ...)

Val is averaging about 12/7 on about 8 FGA per game.

Want to see how many players have averaged at least 13/8 on under 9 FGA?
LINK
7 names (after removing 2 due to low # of games) with Sabonis on track to becoming #8

Surprisingly if you remove the rebounding filter it only adds 5 more names.

Doesn't add much to the thread. But really how much substance is in here anyway?
Cheers to Turbo_Zone
BackseatBoss
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,269

Post#243 » by BackseatBoss » Thu Dec 6, 2018 7:21 am

Cryan Bolangelo wrote:
TrustFundBaby wrote:
Cryan Bolangelo wrote:
It’s one game, even below avg players have one good game from time to time. Let’s see JV have 3 good games in a row....

If He’s truly a good player, he can manage to have 3 good games in a row right? I mean 100% of other “good nba players” can do that...

3 good games in a row? The ****? How long have you watched him/TOR?

Brah he's had good months, good series

It's the other way around dude, JV needs to be **** for a whole season and playoffs for me to start **** on him

Been watching the raptors since 2001, also I’ll clarify...I meant games like tonight. 3 in a row

So you want him to put up 26 and 8 in 17 minutes three games in a row? Sounds reasonable.

JV doesn't match up well with everyone. He matches up well against pretty much all the best centers in the league though. He's not a starter anymore, so don't know why people hate on him so much. Hating this much on a player who plays 18 MPG or whatever it is these days is just crazy, especially when he has these types of games much more than once per season.

Think about it this way, if we didn't have Jonas today, would we have won this game? Maybe, but there's quite a big chance we wouldn't. Will we meet the Sixers in the playoffs? A lot of chances we are. So for people that want to win in the playoffs so badly and make a good run there, does it make sense to trade away a player that matches up the best out of anyone in our team? He literally could be the difference between a win and a loss against the Sixers. Then add the fact that Jonas always steps up in the playoffs, how much damn sense does it make to just trade him for anyone? If a good trade comes around, go ahead, but to trade him just to trade him is ridiculous and would do more harm than good to this team...
Sandman88
Head Coach
And1: 6,527

Post#244 » by Sandman88 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 1:50 pm

Northface82 wrote:
Sandman88 wrote:low IQ, slow, lumbering big man. His value must be really low, because hes a clear problem when hes in the game. Don't care if he puts up empty points.

15 big empty points tonight, no doubt brah

1 good game and the nut huggers are out. Enjoy this one of every 5 game jv experience
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#245 » by cruwinas » Thu Dec 6, 2018 2:49 pm

I think it's time to lock this thread. It's unreadable. People with pitch forks will never settle down. I don't know what caused their hatred that made them blind and insane. Sadly, no cure for that.
:crazy:
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#246 » by The_Hater » Thu Dec 6, 2018 2:52 pm

Sandman88 wrote:
Northface82 wrote:
Sandman88 wrote:low IQ, slow, lumbering big man. His value must be really low, because hes a clear problem when hes in the game. Don't care if he puts up empty points.

15 big empty points tonight, no doubt brah

1 good game and the nut huggers are out. Enjoy this one of every 5 game jv experience

Not sure I get the hate or the hyperbole. JV is having the best season of his career on both sides of the ball and is being deployed perfectly to help mask his defensive limitations. Those still predicting greatness for him have always been off their rockers but he’s an extremely valuable role player on a very good team. If you can’t see what an asset he’s been this season then you’re never going to be happy.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
___Rand___
General Manager
And1: 9,754

Post#247 » by ___Rand___ » Thu Dec 6, 2018 3:00 pm

JV has his uses, just like everyone else. We need him for games against Embiid and Boogie.

This is where Brown failed as a coach last night - he should've run more PNR against JV, but didn't.
pegcity
Junior
And1: 145

Post#248 » by pegcity » Thu Dec 6, 2018 4:33 pm

___Rand___ wrote:JV has his uses, just like everyone else. We need him for games against Embiid and Boogie.

This is where Brown failed as a coach last night - he should've run more PNR against JV, but didn't.

I was actually impressed with how well he handled many of the P&R situations he was put in last night. But also on how he out muscled Embiid and in most cases beat him to his spot to make him uncomfortable.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,977

Post#249 » by MEDIC » Thu Dec 6, 2018 4:47 pm

Nocturne wrote:I just wish we can find a way to consistently get today's high level of production out of JV.

It's easy.......just feed him the ball in the post. He is easily the best offensive player when he is out there with the bench mob.

JV has been kind of disrespected in all of this. He is the most effective offensive player & the most experienced out of the bench unit, yet he is never fed the ball.....and the other guys are not performing well.

I know FVV is used to more of a run & gun offense with Pascal & Jacob. He doesn't have those guys anymore, but he does have a very good post up big. He & JV need to work together & learn how to get on the same page.

If the team wants a different style of play from the bench unit (more up tempo), then they need to find players that fit that mold.

You either go with JV's strengths or FVV's strengths. Pick one.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#250 » by Young_Buc » Thu Dec 6, 2018 5:50 pm

Just a quick question.... If Ibaka puts up 26/10 and JV puts up 18/8 (like Ibaka did)

Would the discussion still be on Ibaka? Probably not. It would STILL be on how good JV played or more "look what Jobaka did" Sometimes it seems like there's a reddit sub-division dedicated to realgm trolling and they pick a player to boost uncontrollably. YES he played well, VERY well. But saying this is vindication for everything else he hasn't done... is head scratching.

BEST thing JV did last night? HEDGE!!!!!!!! He didn't ice the pick and roll. My God, that made a world of difference. Getting a hand up on shooters? Amazing!
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#251 » by djsunyc » Thu Dec 6, 2018 6:53 pm

not counting norm, jv is leading the team in drtg with 101.6.
Buff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,602

Post#252 » by Buff » Thu Dec 6, 2018 8:10 pm

djsunyc wrote:not counting norm, jv is leading the team in drtg with 101.6.

we're not doing that anymore around here. until his drtg is bad, then it'd be cool again.
Purple Fever
Junior
And1: 378

Post#253 » by Purple Fever » Thu Dec 6, 2018 8:16 pm

JV legitimately looked like a different player last night.

Aggressive, energetic, and not a pylon on defence.
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#254 » by Red_Claw » Thu Dec 6, 2018 8:18 pm

Purple Fever wrote:JV legitimately looked like a different player last night.

The difference? He was given the ball on the offensive end.
Purple Fever
Junior
And1: 378

Post#255 » by Purple Fever » Thu Dec 6, 2018 8:30 pm

Red_Claw wrote:

Welll he also started dunking instead of missing layups point blank.
BackseatBoss
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,269

Post#256 » by BackseatBoss » Thu Dec 6, 2018 8:37 pm

Young_Buc wrote:Just a quick question.... If Ibaka puts up 26/10 and JV puts up 18/8 (like Ibaka did)

Would the discussion still be on Ibaka? Probably not. It would STILL be on how good JV played or more "look what Jobaka did" Sometimes it seems like there's a reddit sub-division dedicated to realgm trolling and they pick a player to boost uncontrollably. YES he played well, VERY well. But saying this is vindication for everything else he hasn't done... is head scratching.

BEST thing JV did last night? HEDGE!!!!!!!! He didn't ice the pick and roll. My God, that made a world of difference. Getting a hand up on shooters? Amazing!

The difference is that Ibaka does not have any threads out that are lynching him, while this thread was created a few days ago. Also, stop trying to make it seem like people need to pick a side. If Jobaka performs well, that's the best thing that can happen to the team. When both of them are on, it's a thing of beauty and terrifying for other teams to see. It's not like Jonas has played bad the entire season so far, he's had a few off games recently, people forget that in the beginning of the season he was on fire as well. This whole narrative that this is his first good game of the season is ridiculous.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#257 » by Yeezus_ » Thu Dec 6, 2018 8:39 pm

MEDIC wrote:
Nocturne wrote:I just wish we can find a way to consistently get today's high level of production out of JV.

It's easy.......just feed him the ball in the post. He is easily the best offensive player when he is out there with the bench mob.

JV has been kind of disrespected in all of this. He is the most effective offensive player & the most experienced out of the bench unit, yet he is never fed the ball.....and the other guys are not performing well.

I know FVV is used to more of a run & gun offense with Pascal & Jacob. He doesn't have those guys anymore, but he does have a very good post up big. He & JV need to work together & learn how to get on the same page.

If the team wants a different style of play from the bench unit (more up tempo), then they need to find players that fit that mold.

You either go with JV's strengths or FVV's strengths. Pick one.
I disagree. He will be an extremely efficient offensive player with limted post ups. He doesn't have much creativity on the block. One move (lowers the left shoulder and goes into the paint). One counter where he fadeaways to the right. His offensive skillset is limited and his awareness is mediocre. He's a great player when he's not the focal point of the offense. He will not carry a team on his own. He's in a great role and I am happy he is excelling.
Yeezy SZN approaching
Uncle Dennis
General Manager
And1: 12,096

Post#258 » by Uncle Dennis » Thu Dec 6, 2018 8:41 pm

Purple Fever wrote:
Red_Claw wrote:

Yeah that's something that has frustrated me recently. So many easy chances at scoring missed because of a weak layup attempt, just **** dunk it. I was watching some JV highlights from a few years back and it looked like his hops were way better.
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#259 » by Young_Buc » Thu Dec 6, 2018 8:42 pm

BackseatBoss wrote:
Young_Buc wrote:Just a quick question.... If Ibaka puts up 26/10 and JV puts up 18/8 (like Ibaka did)

The difference is that Ibaka does not have any threads out that are lynching him, while this thread was created a few days ago. Also, stop trying to make it seem like people need to pick a side. If Jobaka performs well, that's the best thing that can happen to the team. When both of them are on, it's a thing of beauty and terrifying for other teams to see. It's not like Jonas has played bad the entire season so far, he's had a few off games recently, people forget that in the beginning of the season he was on fire as well. This whole narrative that this is his first good game of the season is ridiculous.

No, Ibaka was (rightfully) DESPISED last season. Much like Norm was or CJ and FVV are right now. The DIFFERENCE is, there is no cavalry that runs to their defense. Generally, we all just hate like regular fans do on who sucks at the moment. JV (much like Bargnani or Jose and to some extent DeRozan) has people ready to go to bat for him like they know him in real life. THATS what makes him such a polarizing figure.
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#260 » by Red_Claw » Thu Dec 6, 2018 8:45 pm

xavis wrote:
Purple Fever wrote:
Red_Claw wrote:

Yeah that's something that has frustrated me recently. So many easy chances at scoring missed because of a weak layup attempt, just **** dunk it. I was watching some JV highlights from a few years back and it looked like his hops were way better.

A miss is a miss. Doesn't matter how its done. As long as JV is hitting above 50% on preferably 10 FGA a game with a low TO numbers, there should be no complaints from his offence.

Return to Toronto Raptors