ImageImageImageImageImage

Kawhi regarding Toronto weather: "Just wear a jacket. We're in a building. We're not outside playing in a snow"

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,273

Re: Kawhi regarding Toronto weather: "Just wear a jacket. We're in a building. We're not outside playing in a snow" 

Post#21 » by Jstock12 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:46 am

Peja Stojakovic wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:- Lowry would be 34 during the next season's playoffs, and 35 the year after that - who can replace Lowry? I'm not talking just about Lowry's production, but also his leadership... Clearly not Delon or FVV or Anunoby... Maybe Siakam can make another jump?

having heard siakam on danny green's podcast it's clear he's a fantastic locker room guy with leadership potential, who doesn't seem to get little brothered like kawhi was on the spurs. maybe it's bc he was in the seminary who knows

That's nice to know, makes me a bit more optimistic.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Re: Kawhi regarding Toronto weather: "Just wear a jacket. We're in a building. We're not outside playing in a snow" 

Post#22 » by J-Roc » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:48 am

"Difference between good players and great players is the great players do it every game."

Shots fired at Lowry?
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,328

Post#23 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:52 pm

When the Raps host game 1 of the NBA finals in June, the weather will be fantastic.
spicy4MVP
Sixth Man
And1: 1,963

Post#24 » by spicy4MVP » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:55 pm

sule wrote:Weather questions about Toronto are stupid:

Current Weather in:

Toronto => +1c
Boston => -1c
Cleveland => 0c
Milwaukee => +2c
Minneapolis => -4c
New York City => +2c
Detroit => -3c
Philadelphia => +2c
Chicago => +2c
Indianapolis => +2c
Denver => +1c
Salt Lake City => -1c
Charlotte => -1c
Washington DC => +2c
Atlanta => 0C

Doesn't seem too bad in Toronto compared to most other cities in the league

except you gave this values based on temperatures in the middle of the night. toronto is mild at night, yes, but too bad no one woud ever care to notice because everyone is asleep at 5 am. why dont you compare daytime values. that same Atlanta and denver heats up to +13 while toronto stays just a degree above 0
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,254

Post#25 » by SurgeIblocka » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:07 pm

“ only thing with good or great players is they do it every night” I guess Kyle is out of that group.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,303

Post#26 » by pilkoids » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:10 pm

In a not totally unrelated note, per wiretap:

The Toronto Raptors have noticed a Clippers employee at 75% of Raptors home games this season, including team president Lawrence Frank (team presidents and general managers don't usually attend games that don't involve their own team).

First time I'm hearing of this... man, if I ever went to a game and saw/recognized one of these guys I'd be bothering the **** out of them.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#27 » by Yosemite Dan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Kawhi looks like he already hates the LA media and he was seen at Cdn Tire buying a snow blower. And we’re not just talking any snow blower, it was a Toro. No one buys a Toro for one year. He’s staying!!!
tradejosehesux
Starter
And1: 3,858

Post#28 » by tradejosehesux » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:25 pm

He's a real humble, down to earth guy. I have a feeling if he genuinely likes playing here and the team keeps improving, he'll tell Unc Dennis that he's staying.
JC16
Pro Prospect
And1: 949

Post#29 » by JC16 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:Even though I hope that it's a 50/50 decision for him, I try to look at it objectively, and therefore I think there's a 75% chance (most likely even higher) that he's leaving. So just enjoy this season of contending while it lasts.

What makes you say that?

- Clippers are worse than the Raptors
- Raptors can give him 5-years and $50 million more than anyone else

Just the feeling I get from following Kawhi and the Raptors. I know he's a quiet person and pretty hard to read, but there are some little things that make me think he's just biding time and trying to make the most out of this season while also taking every precaution and leaving himself multiple options to choose from

- Clippers are 17-10 even without Kawhi
- Clippers have some nice pieces already and a lot of roster flexibility
- Lowry would be 34 during the next season's playoffs, and 35 the year after that - who can replace Lowry? I'm not talking just about Lowry's production, but also his leadership... Clearly not Delon or FVV or Anunoby... Maybe Siakam can make another jump?
- Clippers have Los Angeles - not only one of the top cities with great weather, but also Kawhi's hometown
- Kawhi doesn't seem like someone shying away from competition, so he might enjoy a rivalry vs LeBron
- Kawhi doesn't seem like a money-driven guy, and it's not like he's actually losing $50 million by choosing the Clippers. He wouldn't retire after that 4 year contract, would he? He'd also get more lucrative endorsements in LA which would help to balance it out (no pun intended).

I don't know... As I said, I don't think that it's impossible to convince him to stay in Toronto, but I think it's at most a 20-25% possibility. At the end of the day, we all have our opinions and it's all just speculation. We don't know what's in Kawhi's head.

Its true he would get 50mil less signing a 4 year contract with the clips. However, you are always one injury away from seriously derailing your career. A torn ACL/achilles in a timeframe of 4-5 year is completely possible. Best to secure that $$$

Besides Why compete in the wild wild west when the east is so much easier. At the end of the day its the family aspect that matters most to him if he has to make a decision.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,545

Post#30 » by Psubs » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:35 pm

SFour wrote:Kawhi is apparently a nature guy, and in that interview he said he likes the scenery in Toronto..he stay

Kawhi needs to go up north with Danny Green's camp as a secret special guest for the campers, this summer. :nod:
Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Post#31 » by Yogatti » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Remember when Kawhi's sister posted on IG a pic of her wearing the Western Conference All-Star Kawhi Jersey? It got me thinking he's probably going to LA

Well today she posted a pic of her wearing a Raptors Kawhi jersey. She playing mind games or something :lol:
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,333

Post#32 » by tdotrep2 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:49 pm

You noticed how to reporters laughed condescendingly when that question was asked? Hmm I wonder why. **** the clippers seriously
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,273

Post#33 » by Jstock12 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:51 pm

JC16 wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
What makes you say that?

- Clippers are worse than the Raptors
- Raptors can give him 5-years and $50 million more than anyone else

Just the feeling I get from following Kawhi and the Raptors. I know he's a quiet person and pretty hard to read, but there are some little things that make me think he's just biding time and trying to make the most out of this season while also taking every precaution and leaving himself multiple options to choose from

- Clippers are 17-10 even without Kawhi
- Clippers have some nice pieces already and a lot of roster flexibility
- Lowry would be 34 during the next season's playoffs, and 35 the year after that - who can replace Lowry? I'm not talking just about Lowry's production, but also his leadership... Clearly not Delon or FVV or Anunoby... Maybe Siakam can make another jump?
- Clippers have Los Angeles - not only one of the top cities with great weather, but also Kawhi's hometown
- Kawhi doesn't seem like someone shying away from competition, so he might enjoy a rivalry vs LeBron
- Kawhi doesn't seem like a money-driven guy, and it's not like he's actually losing $50 million by choosing the Clippers. He wouldn't retire after that 4 year contract, would he? He'd also get more lucrative endorsements in LA which would help to balance it out (no pun intended).

I don't know... As I said, I don't think that it's impossible to convince him to stay in Toronto, but I think it's at most a 20-25% possibility. At the end of the day, we all have our opinions and it's all just speculation. We don't know what's in Kawhi's head.

Its true he would get 50mil less signing a 4 year contract with the clips. However, you are always one injury away from seriously derailing your career. A torn ACL/achilles in a timeframe of 4-5 year is completely possible. Best to secure that $$$

Besides Why compete in the wild wild west when the east is so much easier. At the end of the day its the family aspect that matters most to him if he has to make a decision.

Good post, thanks. Didn't know that the 50 million difference is comparing the first 4 years of both contracts.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#34 » by Double Helix » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:51 pm

omar36 wrote:will never get this dumb argument tbh. new york is prob as cold. these guys are millionaires and with stuff like uber, u really dont even need to walk anywhere anymore lol.

What isn’t there to get though? You can’t have a convertible here. There are less people out in the winter to even appreciate a nice ride. You aren’t even going to drive a sports car in the winter.

Why bother with anything that even makes you the slightest bit less comfortable or less fun if you’re young and rich if you don’t have family ties to a place, they can’t pay you dramatically more per year, if others can offer you similar annual money and winning opportunities in a place where you could be out on a patio or your deck year round facing an ocean while in shorts and surrounded by women in bikinis in a place where all of the celebrities you enjoy are also partying all of the time?

We will always have a free agent advantage over the Milwaukee’s and the Cleveland’s for all who aren’t from there even in years when those teams are good. We will always be able to beat out some legacy title winners of the past during rebuild years like what Chicago is going through while we are good and they aren’t. New York offers what we can offer on a larger scale but we can beat them out because we are good and they aren’t. We lose that edge to them if they get good and move further down the desirability index.

Some players love us but let’s not pretend that if money and competitiveness are equal that some markets don’t have other things going for them that move them up the desirability index for superstars. We beat out some cities. Some cities beat out us. LA has rarely if ever had issues of players wanting out for any other reason than winning or more money elsewhere.
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,872

Post#35 » by bape_lovers » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:05 pm

Kawhi taking his talents and raptors to Vancouver confirmed :(

SFour wrote:Kawhi is apparently a nature guy, and in that interview he said he likes the scenery in Toronto..he stay

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,328

Post#36 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:08 pm

Players want to win, feel comfortable with their organization/teammates and get paid (not necessarily in that order). Nobody of note has signed with Sacramento. Nobody has signed with the Clippers. Nobody cared about GS until they drafted Curry/Thompson/Green. Nobody wanted to play with the Lakers when they sucked until Lebron went there to further his post career appeal. Nobody is flocking to MIA/ORL. Great weather is a nice bonus, but it's never a deciding factor.
Qhawe
Sixth Man
And1: 1,697

Post#37 » by Qhawe » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:12 pm

My guy.

Boogie Williams: Favourite Raptor
Hackett
Senior
And1: 672

Post#38 » by Hackett » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:36 pm

I am going to try something different here.

As a father, if I was only looking at what city was best for raising my kids, Toronto wins hands down. The possibility, of the worst element infiltrating my life, from snottiness, drug addiction, horrible friends, people motivated by other things than friendship just go way up in a city like LA. Look at what happens to the kids of well to do parents in LA. These kids are navigating minefields that are infinitely more dangerous in place like LA.

As a father, you worry that your daughter may meet the wrong crowd, be in the wrong part of the city, be looked at as a target because of her well to do dad, etc... I think Toronto is infinitely a much better environment to grow up in. Our bad, does not compare to LA bad, or NY bad. Stephen Curry grew up in this city, partially, but it contributed a lot to his personality.

Also the Trumpitics, remember when people said, racism doesn't exist anymore, this is the 20th century, yada yada, and then Trump gets elected and every racist cell in every American goes into over drive, and suddenly the nice little old lady across the street that you did not mind helping becomes super confident talking like its the 50's and 60's. We see this now, especially in rich suburbs in LA, granted LA is way more liberal than other places in the US, but still when you look at the vote breakdown, considering the demographics, its almost as if every single white middle class family voted Trump (and they most likely did).

Don't put yourself down Toronto. We have things and an environment for people that you can NEVER have in LA or NY. There is a very good reason why people that grow up in this city are looked upon admiringly all over the world. It takes a village to raise a child, no matter how isolated your kid is, eventually they will need to deal with the REAL world outside without your protection. As a father, if I had to choose a city to raise my daughter in or buy her a condo apartment, I would chose Toronto without a second of hesitation.

Kawhi has a young daughter. He understands the danger that a city like LA brings to a family. He knows the benefits and he knows the pitfalls, his discomfort in front of the media to me, reads like, "Oh no here we go..." fully in tune with the agenda of the questions from both parties, Toronto and LA media. He sees right through their charade and just wants to get it over with.
Laylabjays
Pro Prospect
And1: 964

Post#40 » by Laylabjays » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:40 pm

omar36 wrote:will never get this dumb argument tbh. new york is prob as cold. these guys are millionaires and with stuff like uber, u really dont even need to walk anywhere anymore lol.

I think everyone is still traumatized by how cold it was when all-star was here. The US media made such a big deal about it, fanbase has had a complex ever since.

Return to Toronto Raptors