ImageImageImageImageImage

Is this Serge now?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Re: Is this Serge now? 

Post#41 » by lolwut » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:03 pm

TheBoi10 wrote:He's a good center but he doesn't get to the line often, has bad hands/dribbling and doesn't create his own shot.

Only guys I trust in the playoffs to be consistently solid are Kawhi, Pascal and maybe Delon.

Sure, but if he had those abilities, then he wouldn't be Serge Ibaka. He'd be Anthony Davis.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,748

Post#42 » by Badonkadonk » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:05 pm

We're getting OKC-Serge, which is pretty crazy if you consider how highly he was regarded before the trades and his diminished play / value.
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#43 » by lolwut » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:07 pm

The combined production we're getting from Ibaka and JV on a nightly basis has been phenomenal. I think the reduced minutes for both players has allowed them to be fresher for those minutes they're on the court. They're both putting up career highs across the board despite playing less minutes. They're both living up to their contracts right now.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#44 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Yes and no.

First off, he is shooting over 70% on 2 point jump shots beyond 16 feet which can't be sustainable. League average at those spots is around 40% depending on the zone.

The good thing is that the vast majority of his shots are coming inside the paint though so even if those numbers fall off it won't mean he is suddenly useless or anything. He is a good jump shooter from mid range regardless, so even with some regression those open looks will still be perfectly decent shots to take.

His 3 point shooting falling off is a concern, but I do have to say his overall shot IQ has improved immensely. He rarely takes ridiculous contested shots and off balance fadeaways like he did in years past. If his 3 point shooting ticks up it would more than make up for any regression in his mid range game.

As long as he is playing inside, grabbing offensive rebounds and protecting the rim he will be a positive contributor for this team. The problem is that come playoff time he is going to be under intense pressure to make plays. The Bucks playbook on defense is likely going to be utilized by all our opponents. Basically, make Serge make plays. He will have open looks, but you don't exactly want Ibaka taking 20 shots a game even if they are good looks. He has made some strides in terms of his playmaking and overall decision making, but it is still something he struggles with so that is another potential issue.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,658

Post#45 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:25 pm

dTox wrote:for the "I told you so" guys, I think you are overlooking at how accurate he's been this season compared to prev. seasons, and this is not only due to him playing C, its also due to his sweat equity he's put in during the offseason..

No doubt. But his fg% has more to do with a higher percentage of shots closer to the rim. And the ability to keep getting those same shots day in and out.
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#46 » by gerrit4 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:52 pm

I genuinely thought he'd become a really nice back-up 5 for us this year. I'm very surprised at what has happened, and I must say it's a joy to watch.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,280

Post#47 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Congo Hakeem
Uncle Dennis
General Manager
And1: 12,096

Post#48 » by Uncle Dennis » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Not sustainable, he should still be better than last season, but he won't be this consistent.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,779

Post#49 » by Dennis 37 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Yep. Ibaka is playing like he did before Steven Adams played his way into starting and changed WHERE Ibaka played on the floor. This has NEVER been about how Ibaka played but where he played. He moved further from the basket on both ends. So 1/3 of a season isn't even the relevant part, it the fact that they moved him back to a similar role, as years prior, to dominate.

He wasn't regressing last year. I don't know how many times I had to say it.... but you can all hear me say I told you so now. For those that were talking about his age.

Bargnani was a shooting guard.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#50 » by Metallikid » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:48 pm

If he shot like this last year we might have actually beaten LeBron.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,833

Post#51 » by JShuttlesworth » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Troubadour wrote:For some context...
Serge is averaging a career high in points (16.7)
the most OREBs since 2014-15
his highest FG% since 2012-13
a career high for free throw attempts per game
highest rebounds per game since 2014-15
best net rating since 2013-2014
32 dunks made this season (he had 45 all of last season. Continuing at this pace, he would finish with 90 dunks)
highest career usage rate
second highest career BPM

Hopefully all the stupid age jokes stop as a result of this.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#52 » by Jadoogar » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:23 pm

The biggest change has been actually playing Serge at centre without JV. I have no idea why Casey wasn't doing this. Opens up more space for both of them and allows Serge to play closer to the basket on defense.

Only issue is that the whole team has to be hyper vigilant in boxing out and going after defensive rebounds.
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,489

Post#53 » by YelloC » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:39 am

Pooh_Jeter wrote:Yes and no.

First off, he is shooting over 70% on 2 point jump shots beyond 16 feet which can't be sustainable. League average at those spots is around 40% depending on the zone.

The good thing is that the vast majority of his shots are coming inside the paint though so even if those numbers fall off it won't mean he is suddenly useless or anything. He is a good jump shooter from mid range regardless, so even with some regression those open looks will still be perfectly decent shots to take.

His 3 point shooting falling off is a concern, but I do have to say his overall shot IQ has improved immensely. He rarely takes ridiculous contested shots and off balance fadeaways like he did in years past. If his 3 point shooting ticks up it would more than make up for any regression in his mid range game.

As long as he is playing inside, grabbing offensive rebounds and protecting the rim he will be a positive contributor for this team. The problem is that come playoff time he is going to be under intense pressure to make plays. The Bucks playbook on defense is likely going to be utilized by all our opponents. Basically, make Serge make plays. He will have open looks, but you don't exactly want Ibaka taking 20 shots a game even if they are good looks. He has made some strides in terms of his playmaking and overall decision making, but it is still something he struggles with so that is another potential issue.

I’d like to see his shot chart. He seems to hit every shot near top of the key and they always have the same form. Rarely has he taken a shot outside of 1 of 3 spots, at least that’s what the eye test shows.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#54 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:42 am

The same man everyone thought was un tradable. Hope he keeps his play up!
dirtyparrot
Sophomore
And1: 126

Post#55 » by dirtyparrot » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:09 am

At the very least he drastically upped his trade value should Kawhi leave and the Raptors do a quick rebuild
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#56 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:29 am

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
And1Skip wrote:I find that pick and pop play, he's money every time as long as he shoots it right away in rhythm. When he takes one dribble to dodge the defender, he doesn't have as much success. Something to work on. I noticed that in shoot-around before last night's game he was working on his corner 3's and was hitting them regularly. He got that one look in the corner last night and nailed it. So all in all, all that work he's putting in is really paying off.

What if I told you, he shoots better off one dribble than C&S??

lol, my eye test tells me he's pretty awesome at faking and shooting off of a dribble. Good that actual facts support that.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#57 » by Pooh_Jeter » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:41 am

YelloC wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:Yes and no.

I’d like to see his shot chart. He seems to hit every shot near top of the key and they always have the same form. Rarely has he taken a shot outside of 1 of 3 spots, at least that’s what the eye test shows.

https://stats.nba.com/events/?flag=3&CFID=33&CFPARAMS=2018-19&PlayerID=201586&ContextMeasure=FGA&Season=2018-19&section=player&sct=zone
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
plainballing
Head Coach
And1: 1,590

Post#58 » by plainballing » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:27 am

I actually love it more when Serge is the pick-and-pop man this year.

JV is good but you know he is gonna pump-fake 600x before attempting to drive or pass the ball back to Lowry.

Serge can just catch and shoot with confidence. With Siakam at 4, it allows Serge to play the slower post player and allow Serge to play a lot of weak side D (which he is better at than chasing guys like Durant and Ingram around).

Props to JV willing to accept the bench role.
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/lillehammer/Turbo_Zone_Little_Ozzy_Davis.jpg
HKBOY
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,554

Post#59 » by HKBOY » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:31 am

He is a poorman Anthony Davis and the perfect type of Center in the modern NBA.
LJKO
RealGM
And1: 16,356

Post#60 » by LJKO » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:58 am

Serge have return to OKC day Serge and dare I say even better then that. Hopefully he revive my boi Norm when he comes back to the day we named him NormGod 2 years prior, If that happens this team will be on a whole new level. CJ is unsavable thou

Return to Toronto Raptors