ImageImageImageImageImage

SotD: NBA 2018-19 Proportion of time spent leading/trailing against opponents ranked in the Top/Mid/Bottom Ten in SRS.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

SotD: NBA 2018-19 Proportion of time spent leading/trailing against opponents ranked in the Top/Mid/Bottom Ten in SRS. 

Post#1 » by vini_vidi_vici » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Read on Twitter

Surprised to see DAL the best record in the L vs top 10 OPPs.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Re: SotD: NBA 2018-19 Proportion of time spent leading/trailing against opponents ranked in the Top/Mid/Bottom Ten in SR 

Post#2 » by Yeezus_ » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Im struggling to understand how to read the graph itself. Why is their overlap?
Yeezy SZN approaching
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Re: SotD: NBA 2018-19 Proportion of time spent leading/trailing against opponents ranked in the Top/Mid/Bottom Ten in SR 

Post#3 » by vini_vidi_vici » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:Im struggling to understand how to read the graph itself. Why is their overlap?

Im not sure I understand your question, apologies.

Theres 48 mins in a game, its showing proportionally, how much they have led/been behind these teams over 48 mins.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#4 » by Yeezus_ » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:10 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:Im struggling to understand how to read the graph itself. Why is their overlap?

Theres 48 mins in a game, its showing proportionally, how much they have led/been behind these teams over 48 mins.

Sorry I get it now. At first I thought it was an average taken, which confused me as to why we could be leading a team by +10 but also be in a close game at the same time. But then I realized its on a per team basis so its stacked in the graph.

My bad, I get it though. Pretty cool graph to gauge how we fare against the better teams in the league.
Yeezy SZN approaching
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#5 » by XxIronChainzxX » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:11 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:

So the x-axis is effectively minutes in the game? Are these current SRS rankings?
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#6 » by vini_vidi_vici » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:56 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:

So the x-axis is effectively minutes in the game? Are these current SRS rankings?

Ed Kupfer is usually pretty bang on, I would assume the rankings are current.

The x axis is at the very bottom, it goes by quarter (1/2/3/4).
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM

Post#7 » by XxIronChainzxX » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:59 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:

This is very helpful. Thank you. I'm still working to parse the graph just because it's a new way to present the data.

I wish we could see the comparison of games where we rest Kawhi vs. games were we do not.
shmoosicle
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,685

Post#8 » by shmoosicle » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:14 pm

Not bad so far.
Milwaukee and Denver are impressive. The real surprise is Dallas against Top 10 teams.
"I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good - I would call her, I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a '64 Impala" - Skee-Lo
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#10 » by team edward » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Denver is owning things right now.

Raps actually look pretty good, no? Relative to the East.

And yesterday without Kawhi, previously with a terrible Kyle.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,530

Post#11 » by Jcity08 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Luka Doncic is the real deal. ROTY is his race to lose, no one comes close and my favourite in this draft was JJJ who is doing amazing work in Memphis.

Doncic is a generational player and worthy to fill the big shoes left by Dirk.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Post#12 » by Lukeem » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Casey. Making a career of taking care of business vs irrelevant teams in regular season
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM

Post#13 » by XxIronChainzxX » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:10 pm

VanWest82 wrote:Milwaukee is terrifying.

I would be careful about drawing inferences. They currently have one of the GOAT SRS scores to date. It is simply very hard to tell.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,740

Post#14 » by VanWest82 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:17 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:

I would be careful about drawing inferences. They currently have one of the GOAT SRS scores to date. It is simply very hard to tell.

They're terrifying because they're the one team in the East with a player as good as our best player, and they're a brutal match up for us at the other positions as well. They have all the markings of a Raptors killer. Big guards who play way above their heads against our little guards. Not good, but great three point shooting. Lots of good passers up and down the roster. A big in Lopez that we've never had an answer for going back to his Nets days. Bucks are the biggest threat.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#15 » by dacrusha » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:18 pm

Det and Was beating up on poor teams, but getting shook vs more elite.

Indiana and Clippers also pretenders.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#16 » by dacrusha » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:21 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:

They're terrifying because they're the one team in the East with a player as good as our best player, and they're a brutal match up for us at the other positions as well. They have all the markings of a Raptors killer. Big guards who play way above their heads against our little guards. Not good, but great three point shooting. Lots of good passers up and down the roster. A big in Lopez that we've never had an answer for going back to his Nets days. Bucks are the biggest threat.

Bucks had to rely on Lowry putting up a goose-egg to squeak out a victory last Sunday.

In a 7-game series with HCA, we would take them.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,740

Post#17 » by VanWest82 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:23 pm

dacrusha wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:

Bucks had to rely on Lowry putting up a goose-egg to squeak out a victory last Sunday.

In a 7-game series with HCA, we would take them.

Hope so. I think you could argue we should be favored against any East opponent. I'd still put Bucks at the top of the list though.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#18 » by LiSTWithLani » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:17 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:

This is very helpful. Thank you. I'm still working to parse the graph just because it's a new way to present the data.

I wish we could see the comparison of games where we rest Kawhi vs. games were we do not.

Not to point at the elephant in the room, but GSW would look better with all of their stars playing too.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM

Post#19 » by XxIronChainzxX » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:17 pm

lstern wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:

Not to point at the elephant in the room, but GSW would look better with all of their stars playing too.

Sure. I think GSW is just a write off for any RS advanced stat since they're basically **** around until the post seasons starts (and even then).
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#20 » by old skool » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:31 pm

My biggest take away from that graph is that the Raptors are tied for the 9th best record against top SRS 10 teams. I would have thought that the team with the best W-L record in the NBA would fare better than that against the best competition. I wonder if that improves when Leonard stops taking games off for rest.

Return to Toronto Raptors